Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kudos to Tommasini, thanks for small miracles and surprise and beauty, in one day!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kudos to Tommasini, thanks for small miracles and surprise and beauty, in one day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 02:39 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

First let me say I am so impressed by the Tommasini bicycle company. Forum members suggested that I contact Barbara at Tommasini in Italy to try and learn more about my "Tommasini Racing" so this morning I sent them an email with pictures of the bicycle. I come home from the Y and find a response, THE SAME DAY!

Dear Bert,

Thanks for your appreciated message and inquiry.

The frame is an original Tommasini Prestige built in 1976-77, the color and the decals are also original. I believe it was sold as a frame and fork and not as a complete bike.

Unfortunately, we are unable to give you additional information on the story of this frame.

Thanks and regards,

Barbara

Tommasini

Via Nepal 5/7/9 - 58100 Grosseto – Italy

tel.+39 0564 455006 - fax. +39 0564 456763

www.tommasini.it

P Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail

What great support, what a great bike company. Thank you Barbara. Plus this sheds light on the mix of very nice components, some from Italy, some from Japan, some from France that came on this bike. Someone took this grail frame/fork in 1976-77 and then built it up likely with what is on it today. The best stuff that the bike shop that sold it had, sadly no bike shop decal came with the frame.

Next where we last left off, the stem was stuck in the steering tube, and for once after some vigorous tapping and days of soaking with penetrating oil, I....stopped, and took it to my bike builder friend rather than try with the wrong tools and lack of knowledge, ending up with the "OH NO" moment of a dented, cracked or broken frame. Turns out he had the right tool, his 3lb. hammer and out the stem came.

Now here's the go figure part, look at the wedge and the stem base, that's all the corrosion there was. But the wedge was jammed so hard into the stem base, it took a 3lb. hammer whack to break it loose, I repeat no corrosion. Looking inside the head tube there's no surface rust...where was this stored those passing 40 years?

But with the removal of the fork we found something out, not only is the frame made from Columbus tubing the fork is too, as we found the dove and "Columbus" stamped on the steering tube.

Finally, a few more bits of beauty, in the sense of a master bike builders hand work in the construction of this frame. Look at the tops of the lug going into the chain stays, they have been filed by hand down to these points.

Then there area the lug points to the bottom bracket, a part out of sight/out of mind, lovely work on these lug points.

Finally, a final look at the good side down tube decal and the multi-flag decal on the down tube, anyone have an idea why these countries are represented, special meaning in 76-77 for including this decal on this bike?

Thanks for your thoughts, take care.

Last edited by since6; 10-17-19 at 02:54 PM.
Likes For since6:
Old 10-17-19, 02:44 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Sweet Tommasini. Im hoping to meet Barbara March 2020 during my trip to Italy.
Old 10-17-19, 02:59 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Give her my thanks when you do.
Old 10-17-19, 05:34 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
Finally, a final look at the good side down tube decal and the multi-flag decal on the down tube, anyone have an idea why these countries are represented, special meaning in 76-77 for including this decal on this bike?
No idea. Countries that Tomassinis were available in? Perhaps e-mail Barbara and ask her.
Likes For P!N20: