Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tube patch vulcanizing fluid glue is flammable, might not be allowed on flights

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tube patch vulcanizing fluid glue is flammable, might not be allowed on flights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 11:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I don't remember ever seeing the TSA go through the luggage in sight of me anywhere I flew with my bike or without my bike for that matter. My bags always disappeared at the baggage check not to be seen again until the baggage claim at the destination other than maybe seeing them get loaded on the tarmac.

I guess I have been in a few airports where maybe the TSA might have done their inspection in the public eye, but I didn't see it. If so it was only in really small airports like KOA in Hawaii (the whole airport is under roof, but open air) where I could picture that happening and even there it seems like I remember the bags getting taken away behind a wall, but maybe they went somewhere I could have observed.

I am not really all that frequent of a flyer, but I have flown from a fair number of airports. Am I missing something of have I just not flown from airports where the TSA do inspections in the open?
Most airports TSA is out of sight. When I was in El Paso airport there was some construction going on, after checking my bag I then had to carry my bag to TSA because there was no conveyor belt for the airlines to use. TSA was located where you could see them. I handed my S&S case to a TSA employee and I said I would like to stand there and see if they needed to pull my bicycle out of the case in the event they needed help to re-pack it. He was surprised that there was a bike in the case. They X rayed it and he then told me they did not need to inspect it. That is the only USA airport where I have had a chance to communicate with them about my luggage.

At one other airport, I could watch them work but I do not recall which airport, it might have been O Hare in Chicago.

At a Canadian airport they wanted to inspect my Butane stove. The employee of the Canadian equivalent to TSA then told me that if they could smell fuel they had to confiscate it, she then said she smelled nothing so I could keep my stove.

I always put a note in my S&S case that if they have to take the bike out, if they have any difficulty repacking it to please contact me by cell phone or have me paged at the gate so I can help them re-pack it. They have not yet contacted me, only once have they opened up my S&S case.
Old 11-11-19, 11:13 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
It's clearly labeled flammable on the packaging.
And everything is clearly labelled as potentially causing cancer, thanks to Prop 65. What isn't marked is the likelihood of the event.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-11-19, 11:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

So is my bottle of hand sanitizer.

You have made your point, you will never again fly with a patch kit that has a tube of glue.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-11-19, 11:20 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I mean there was that one time that my plane did catch fire and we all died, but I think that was a coincidence.

Honestly, I wouldn't advocate knowingly stashing flammables in your bags, but if a couple of ounces of rubber cement are going to bring down a plane, we're all already done for.
There are cases of fires and/or planes crashing from flammable material igniting. One of the more publicized crashes was what caused the big changes to the recent rules with batteries. Just because fires on planes are rare doesn't mean people should feel safe to take the risk of bringing flammable material onboard for convenience. It only take a small fuel source to burn for a short time for the fire to grow and spread to less combustible materials. When it's in the cargo hold, the fire grows unnoticed until it becomes too big to put out, which is one of the reasons why rules changed so that a limited amount of lithium batteries can only be carried on and not checked in on a passenger plane.
Old 11-11-19, 11:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
But all my glue tubes are the much darker Rema green. Until this thread I could have honestly said upon getting caught that I had never read the label and never even considered patch kit glue to be dangerous (except perhaps as an inhalant but I wouldn't mention that - even though that might make one a hazard to all in an evacuation; I'll try to remember NOT to bring the tube in carry-on.).

In my 50 years as a a hack mechanic with a messy workbench many of those years, not a single patch kit has ever exploded. Not in a black tool bag in the sun on my bike. Not in a hot trunk. I've seen wheels and frames melted by hot exhaust but have yet to see a tool bag exploded from within. Casll me naive. I'd argue that naivety in front of a judge except, sadly, I am now enlightened.

Ben
Old 11-11-19, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
As kids we used to light the glue on fire for a few seconds because we thought it helped the patch work better.
Old 11-11-19, 07:43 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Because it's not safe or because that's what the rules say? I'm quite confident I could carry a bottle of 70% alcohol, or gasoline for that matter, on an airplane without setting anything on fire.

. . .
You crack me up. I'm glad you're confident that you could carry a bottle of gasoline on an airplane without setting anything on fire. I'm also glad you wouldn't be allowed to. The purpose of some rules is to keep smart guys like you from endangering others.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 11-12-19, 04:23 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
You crack me up. I'm glad you're confident that you could carry a bottle of gasoline on an airplane without setting anything on fire. I'm also glad you wouldn't be allowed to. The purpose of some rules is to keep smart guys like you from endangering others.
The TSA rules unfortunately aren't keeping you safe because by their own measurement, they are incapable of detecting the things that they prohibit. As long as it's in a <100ml bottle, passengers can get literally anything through a security checkpoint, rubber cement, gasoline, water, whatever. The TSA will never know what's in there. While I do regularly carry completely safe prohibited items that the TSA has not detected in hundreds of checkpoint screenings, I don't carry gasoline on an airplane. That was hyperbole, which I know is not always easy to detect on forum posts.

OP's main point has been that rubber cement is flammable, anything flammable is prohibited by the TSA, therefore, cyclists should not put patch kits in our checked baggage. I and many others have been doing that already for years, so my question was "is it dangerous?" I don't think it is, but I'm open to hearing evidence to the contrary.
Old 11-12-19, 04:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Do they still have Duty Free Shops where one can buy all sorts of distilled spirits? Hand out little mini bottles of spirits on the plane?
Old 11-12-19, 05:07 AM
CliffordK

Old 11-12-19, 05:40 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I guess peel and stick patches are one way to avoid carrying the tiny 1/8 ounce of rubber cement, but I have not found them to work very well. Now that you guys have brought this whole thing to my attention I guess I have to decide what to do next flight. I guess the options are continue to just carry a patch kit in my tool bag on the bike as i have in the past, put the tube of cement in a TSA approved quart bag, or use slime peel and stick patches. I guess if I do the peel and stick option I could buy some real patches somewhere along the way.
Old 11-12-19, 06:10 AM
CliffordK

I think Park has glueless patches that are higher rated than the Slime patches. Worth trying.

But, I think I'd go rogue and just take the regular patch kit. Secondary containment if required. Perhaps make sure I start with a new, unopened tube.
Old 11-12-19, 07:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think Park has glueless patches that are higher rated than the Slime patches. Worth trying.
I have not tried the Park ones. I was gun shy after the Slime ones were a fail for me. Maybe I should give them a chance, but I am used to and trust the regular patch kits.

I think I'd go rogue and just take the regular patch kit. Secondary containment if required. Perhaps make sure I start with a new, unopened tube.
Probably what I will continue to do. Maybe if I think of it, I'll put the tube of glue in a quart bag in my carry on or personal item, but most likely I will forget.
Old 11-12-19, 02:06 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have not tried the Park ones. I was gun shy after the Slime ones were a fail for me. Maybe I should give them a chance, but I am used to and trust the regular patch kits.
I used Park glueless patches years ago for ~6 months, nearly all of the patches I used came off/leaked. Maybe they have improved....
Old 11-12-19, 04:00 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Edit: FAA website says flammable adhesive is not allowed in airplane baggage.
https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=3

To see if they are flammable, check the product label or the manufacturer’s material safety data sheet (MSDS). When checking the MSDS, a "flash point" at or below 140 F (60° C) indicates it is a flammable liquid and may not be carried in airline baggage.
Seems to be a stricter interpretation of flammable flash point than international standard.

Old:
I tried looking up the ICAO and IATA regulations but they're copyrighted and you need to pay money to see them. I found some old draft non-official proposals that were still on their website, or someone accidentally hosting an old copy on their domain.

Here is Park Tool's VP-1 MSDS.
https://www.parktool.com/assets/doc/...t/VP-1_SDS.pdf

It says:
Adhesives containing flammable liquid
UN-Number: UN1133
Hazard Class: 3
Packing Group: 2

Contains Naptha, Heptane, Octane.
Highly flammable liquid and vapor.
Highly flammable Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back.
Flash Point -9C/16F
Can form explosive mixtures in air if heated above flash point and/or when sprayed or atomised.

Here is the draft working document for packing instructions for UN1133, hazard class 3, Adhesives containing flammable liquids. It says passanger aircraft PI 309, cargo aircraft PI 310, combined into PI 3X1. It doesn't say how old it is, or whether or not it's become official, so this information may not be correct.
https://www.icao.int/safety/Dangerous...ole/ACF331.PDF

It says:
Single packaging is "forbidden" on passenger planes.
Combination packaging with UN-specification inner and outer packagings are probably allowed within limits, but it needs specific packing requirements, labeling, and declaration. The working document doesn't contain that information.

I found the 2013 59th edition of IATA Danger Goods Regulations through Google search. I won't post the link here since they're probably not supposed to have it publicly available. I don't know whether or not it's an official version, but it's definitely outdated, so the information may not be correct.

It says:
UN1133, Class 3, Packing 2, Adhesives containing flammable liquid:
Dangerous goods in exempted quantities-E2 section 2.6, Limited quantity- packing instructions Y341, passenger and cargo- packing instructions 353, cargo aircraft- packing instructions 364.

Somewhat similar to the ICAO working documents. It also says "Single packagings are not permitted". Only combination packaging can be considered, with various UN-specification requirements. Also has labeling and declaration requirements. There are also some other things like not packing it together with reactive materials (I guess like rubber inner tubes and tires).

The section which might be more relevant to a single tube of glue of very low quanitity for traveling could be Dangerous goods in exempted quantities (EQ)-E2 secton 2.6. In all cases it seems single packagings are not allowed. For EQ, inner packagings need an intermediate packaging that is cushioned and sealed which cannot be punctured or leak under normal conditions of transport. For dangerous liquids, the intermediate packaging needs sufficient absorbent material to absorb the entire contents of the inner packaging, cannot react to or degrade from the contents of the inner packaging, and complies with specified strength tests. It also needs a specific label and markings with the hazard classification and your name/address.

However, there is a conflicting section which says:
2.6.2.1 Baggage and Post: Dangerous goods in excepted quantities are not permitted in or as checked or carry-on baggage nor in the mail.
It's a bit confusing/ambiguous. The rest of the exemption section doesn't refer to this section. I don't know if this supersedes everything else in which case means Park Tool's glue is not allowed at all on a passenger plane from a passenger (under "exempted quantities"), or if the other sections are exemptions to this then it might mean there is a possibility to take it onboard but you'd have to fulfill all the other requirements, like packaging, labeling, and declaration requirements.

Anyway, camping stoves and fuel canisters that have contained flammable liquid fuel is described in 2.3.2.5. There are several requirements to take it onboard. One of them says must be allowed to drain for at least 1 hour, and then left uncapped for a minimum of 6 hours to allow any residual fuel to evaporate.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 11-12-19 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 04:47 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Damn. 9/11 Terrorists really won the war. They did take away the freedoms that we had forever.
Likes For linus:
Old 11-16-19, 01:11 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by linus
Damn. 9/11 Terrorists really won the war. They did take away the freedoms that we had forever.
I found this interesting article today (although it appears to be a couple of years old).

The TSA is a Waste of Money That Doesn't Save Lives and Might Actually Cost Them
As a test, Homeland Security officials tried to sneak guns and bombs through TSA checkpoints. They succeeded almost every time.

EXCLUSIVE: Undercover DHS Tests Find Security Failures at US Airports

Europe to ease rules on liquids aboard planes

Homeland Security officials looking to evaluate the agency had a clever idea: They pretended to be terrorists, and tried to smuggle guns and bombs onto planes 70 different times. And 67 of those times, the Red Team succeeded. Their weapons and bombs were not confiscated, despite the TSA's lengthy screening process. That's a success rate of more than 95 percent.
How TSA hassle kills people

The TSA doesn't save lives, but it probably ends them. One paper by economists Garrick Blalock, Vrinda Kadiyali, and Daniel Simon found that, controlling for other factors like weather and traffic, 9/11 provoked such a large decrease in air traffic and increase in driving that 327 more people died every month from road accidents. The effect dissipated over time, but the total death toll (up to 2,300) rivals that of the attacks themselves.
What about the most loathed TSA rules: the shoe removal requirement, and the ban on all but the tiniest containers of liquids? There's never been any evidence that these are effective. Remember: We caught the people who tried to attack with their shoes and with liquid explosives, without these rules in place. Europe is gradually phasing out the liquid ban.

The TSA has never presented any evidence that the shoe ban is preventing attacks either. "Focusing on specific threats like shoe bombs or snow-globe bombs simply induces the bad guys to do something else," Schneier tells Vanity Fair's Charles Mann. You end up spending a lot on the screening and you haven’t reduced the total threat."
Hard to say. I don't think we want to go back to the 1950's prior to airport security. But, I have long felt that all of these rules gave people a false sense of security.

Now, obviously TSA insiders have the inside scoop on potential security flaws, but I believe there are a few potential holes that would be hard to plug.

For one thing, the airports used to do random spot checks. But, say they frisk 1 in 10 passengers, and discover one terrorist.

The airport response was to arrest that 1 person, and continue on as normal. But, the proper response to a spot check positive would be to shut down the entire airport, empty it out. Search the entire airport, and retest EVERYONE,a process that nobody wishes to deal with.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-16-19, 08:27 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
one of the last times I flew, I was told to put the matches from my kitchen kit into my carry on, as they were not supposed to be in check in, but no problem on carry on. May have been the same story with my lighter, but dont recall exactly.
Old 11-16-19, 10:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
one of the last times I flew, I was told to put the matches from my kitchen kit into my carry on, as they were not supposed to be in check in, but no problem on carry on. May have been the same story with my lighter, but dont recall exactly.
Correct, both matches and lighters in carry on. And your Li Ion batteries in carry on.

And your weapons and liquid containers larger than 100ml in checked.

I recalled reading some time back that TSA was going to allow knives under two inches again. And months later I had a small Swiss Army knife with one of those tiny blades, instead of checking it I figured they were allowed again. TSA confiscated it. Then I learned that TSA planned to allow them but the flight attendants objected and wanted to keep that rule in place, so I lost my knife because TSA decided to appease the flight attendants instead of following their proposed rule change.

I think in Canada the knife blade has to be shorter than 62mm, if I am correct on that then Canada is less stringent on sharp pointy objects than USA TSA.
Old 11-16-19, 02:37 PM
djb

no idea on knife rules.

I just brought up the matches and lighter thing as a bit of a retort to being concerned about glue.
Being concerned about the letter of the law re flammable signed stuff, well, I figure that being concerned about it and having it confiscated is a gazillion times less important than worrying about being hit and killed by Ma or Pa Parker in their rented RV, in the big scheme of things...

but sure, dont take it on board, buy some patch glue at your destination. Not my plan, but hey.
Old 11-16-19, 03:51 PM
Tourist in MSN

I have commented before that I will start taking a thread locker on tours, have met too many people in campsites that were missing rack bolts, etc.
https://www.truevalue.com/catalog/pr...thread-locker/

I have no clue if it is flammable. It will be in my bag of tools, thus will be checked.

Mainly my goal in determining what to have in my carry on is the stuff I will need when the airline decides that I might enjoy sleeping in an airport overnight without access to my checked bag(s). Tooth brush, toothpaste, spare shirt, etc. Fortunately every time that has happened so far has only been for one night.
Old 11-16-19, 04:28 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have commented before that I will start taking a thread locker on tours, have met too many people in campsites that were missing rack bolts, etc.
https://www.truevalue.com/catalog/pr...thread-locker/

I have no clue if it is flammable. It will be in my bag of tools, thus will be checked.

Mainly my goal in determining what to have in my carry on is the stuff I will need when the airline decides that I might enjoy sleeping in an airport overnight without access to my checked bag(s). Tooth brush, toothpaste, spare shirt, etc. Fortunately every time that has happened so far has only been for one night.
ya, but what will you do if you have a screw loose?
then you'll be in trouble....
Old 11-18-19, 01:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
The TSA is a joke. I bring whatever I want on the plane and let them take it if they can find it. They are experts at finding bottled water. 100% detection rate. Everthing else, not so much. I wouln't be too worried about a little tube of rubber cement which I keep in the case with my bike every time I travel with it.
Agreed, TSA is "security theater." I don't know how many times I've checked luggage with everything from rubber cement to aftershave in it with nary a squeak. (Also, never an incident in flight, FWIW.) Then last week they alertly caught me carrying an apple through the checkpoint.

The last hard data I recall was that the same people who can find every damn sealed water bottle were only able to detect 80-95% of the actual weapons going through the checkpoint.
Old 11-18-19, 02:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by pdlamb
... Then last week they alertly caught me carrying an apple through the checkpoint.
I have brought plenty of apples and bananas through TSA line, never had one confiscated yet. Are they against the rules?

Apples, I usually cored them at home and put the 8 slices into a zip lock sandwich bag to eat with my sandwich later on the plane, or to eat when I was waiting for my delayed flight to take off. Maybe slicing and coring made them look less like a weapon.

Sandwiches, I always carried the mayo in the little individual packets and added that to the sandwich later since TSA would likely deem the mayo to be a liquid.
Old 11-18-19, 04:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have brought plenty of apples and bananas through TSA line, never had one confiscated yet. Are they against the rules?

Apples, I usually cored them at home and put the 8 slices into a zip lock sandwich bag to eat with my sandwich later on the plane, or to eat when I was waiting for my delayed flight to take off. Maybe slicing and coring made them look less like a weapon.

Sandwiches, I always carried the mayo in the little individual packets and added that to the sandwich later since TSA would likely deem the mayo to be a liquid.
I have some bad news for you about that mayo: Say what? Mayonnaise is a combustible liquid? | BFL CANADA
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.