Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wondering how I'm going to get outside

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 07:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts

I'm normally a year-round rider here in Minnesota. Unless the ice is really bad or the weather is truly severe, I'll ride outside through the winter. Last winter I upped my gear to include bar mitts and I was good to go down at -13 °F, at the coldest.

So I'm not afraid of the cold per se, but....

This fall I'm off the bike getting over some orthopedic issues. I haven't been riding outside since early October. I am doing a little work on the trainer, but that's neither here nor there.

My concern is that whenever I am ready to go outside, I won't be acclimated. It's one thing to go through the season with the temperatures dipping lower and lower, and getting used to the shock and the conditions. It's another to go from not riding outside at all, to getting oneself out the door for the first time in months at, say, 10°F.

I think that if I don't get out soon, I may well be indoors all winter long.
Old 11-21-19, 08:21 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
While jumping back in at -13F may be too much, You can do 10F. You know how to dress for it. The endorphins and euphoric sense of accomplishment will make up for any discomfort in the first 10 minutes.

You don't have to do a full ride (unless you commute). And you will feel better for any length ride...even 5 minutes.

You can do this.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-21-19, 09:26 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I concur. I ride through the winters here in southern New England. Granted, it's not quite as cold as you get there in Minnesota...but I do think that aclimating through the beginning of each season...especially fall into winter...is necessary. Like you...I have had a few years where, due to injury, I wasn't able to get out during that aclimating period and consequently had a miserable time through the winter. Good luck, and do the best you can.

Dan
Old 11-21-19, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I think that if I don't get out soon, I may well be indoors all winter long.
you'll be fine, but yeah, I agree it's beter to just keep riding thru the fall so that you're gradually acclimated. helps with gear too. was just saying to Wifey last weekend that it seems like the past 3 weeks it's been progressively 10 degrees colder each weekend. my first cold weather ides usually involve over dressing & changing. which is not a bad thing, cuz the following week, when it is colder, I already know what I have that I can wear. for example, one week I wore a base, a thermal layer & a hoodie. the thermal layer was too much so I took it off. last weekend I went with the three layers & that was perfect

now git!
Old 12-13-19, 11:53 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Well, I did it and it was great. 25 miles in light snow and 12 °F.

The challenges are more about coming back from the injury and regaining stamina. I've been zwifting, which helps a ton, but I have a long way to go.

The temperatures were fine. My fingers were a little cold, but then again, I wasn't using the bar mitts.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 12-15-19, 07:28 AM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
You can do it. Start with shorter rides to refresh your memory on gear choices and build up your tolerance. And if you can, look for other riders to share the ride with you and keep you motivated. Also, it doesn’t get really cold here until the third week in January, so you have time.

Just like running a race, the hardest part is getting to the starting line. The same applies to biking. Just getting out the door in the hardest part, but once you do, it will all come back to you and you will feel like a million bucks!

And if I see you out there, I’ll be the one wearing ski goggles and mittens and waving.
Old 12-16-19, 12:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Wait for a warmish day to acclimate yourself. Decide on an acceptable range of temperatures and stick with that for a few days. Then push the limit lower.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-16-19, 03:33 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Alligator
You can do it. Start with shorter rides to refresh your memory on gear choices and build up your tolerance. And if you can, look for other riders to share the ride with you and keep you motivated. Also, it doesn’t get really cold here until the third week in January, so you have time.

Just like running a race, the hardest part is getting to the starting line. The same applies to biking. Just getting out the door in the hardest part, but once you do, it will all come back to you and you will feel like a million bucks!

And if I see you out there, I’ll be the one wearing ski goggles and mittens and waving.
Thanks for the encouragement. If you see post #5, I overcame the hump and got out. I rode both Saturday and Sunday this weekend, both at around 10°. The cold and I are good friends already.

Ski goggle, mittens? That's a lot of people 'round here. Well, a comparative few. But it's good to have company out there in the Minnesota winter. Now, if they would just finish with all that trail construction and detours....
Old 12-16-19, 03:41 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by noglider
Wait for a warmish day to acclimate yourself. Decide on an acceptable range of temperatures and stick with that for a few days. Then push the limit lower.
Thanks for the encouragement, but see above (posts #5 and #8). It so happens that it's warmish today (low 20s), but that wasn't in the forecast and I was ready to get out last week, when the temperatures were not so high. Thus far, I've avoided the really cold days (defined personally as low single digits and below), but I've been fine in the mere cold (again, defined personally as down to around 8-10 •F). I haven't yet been ready for the deep cold, which fortunately has abated at the moment, but when it comes back, I'll be acclimated, I believe.

Anyway, going out the first day was indeed something of a mental barrier. But man-o-man, it has to be really cold for me to prefer that basement torture zwift thing, where minutes crawl and joy goes to die. (Just kidding, I can sort of get into the Zwift thing sometimes.....)
Old 12-18-19, 06:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Well, I did it and it was great. 25 miles in light snow and 12 °F.

The challenges are more about coming back from the injury and regaining stamina. I've been zwifting, which helps a ton, but I have a long way to go.

The temperatures were fine. My fingers were a little cold, but then again, I wasn't using the bar mitts.
That's great that you did it. Congratulations!

I really enjoy riding out into the country near here at night when the snow is on the ground. The snow really brightens things up and often a headlight isn't even need other than to let anyone else see me. It's so quiet and often the only sound is the sound of the tires softly swishing as they go over/through the snow when the roads haven't been plowed yet. It's invigorating as well as extremely restful. I had decent quality large knobs 26" x 2.125" tires on my MTB. It does not have studded tires since studded tires are for ice not snow. If I encounter really bad ice I just reduce the air pressure in my tires. that's worked well for me for over 30 years including all-weather commuting in Toronto Canada.

Enjoy your winter rides..

Cheers