Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 03:25 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
So I picked up a trek 970,
Not sure if I should do a drop bar conversion , or just put bar ends ?? I will post pics . Would appreciate input or experience .. Also the fork , should I just go ridged and how do I go about getting a correct one , or should I look for a bike that has a rigid fork already 🤔???
(PS , I also have a trek 970 which has a rigid fork already, but I kinda like the upslope top tube for comfort on the 930)

Do the drop bar conversion for sure! I've never liked bar-ends anyway.
Old 03-18-20, 08:33 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Rigid frame for SURE. Save the parts you take off the lower one, and go drop bar. Realize if you don't like it, you can always go back.

As far as drop bar hand positions, I just use from the stem to the brake lever. I am not using the drop portion. But even just the part I use, I have dozens of hand positions which really helps!

I would be looking for a shorter stem. Those two are super long. I have pretty much copied the geometry of my road bike with my drop bar conversion. So distance from the nose of the saddle to the handlebars is the same, distance from the saddle to the pedals are the same, etc. I've managed this by watching out on TT length. MTBs are all over the place TT length wise. Some are super long. I had a 1989 High Sierra that had a 1 1/2 inch LONGER top tube than the same size 1988 Schwinn Cimarron. So I went North Roads on the High Sierra.

Measurements above are from my memory, I could be off a little.

On your top bike, that came in two versions, one had a rigid fork. So you could put a chrome MTB fork on it (think co op).

And on stem, hey, maybe that long one will work just fine for YOU. Its all about how it fits YOU.

And on the Rock Combo, one of the early drop bar conversions, just came that way from the factory... While Specialized was busy with Rock Hoppers and Stump Jumpers, they decided to take a shot at it.

Needs pink bar tape and cable housing. I have some. Wheels and saddle are not original. Wheels when acquired did not match, and cones were bad anyway.

Specialized Rock Combo by bill, on Flickr

Last edited by wrk101; 03-18-20 at 08:43 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 03-18-20, 12:49 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
So I picked up a trek 970,
Not sure if I should do a drop bar conversion , or just put bar ends ?? I will post pics . Would appreciate input or experience .. Also the fork , should I just go ridged and how do I go about getting a correct one , or should I look for a bike that has a rigid fork already 🤔???
(PS , I also have a trek 970 which has a rigid fork already, but I kinda like the upslope top tube for comfort on the 930)
Personally, I'd leave the 970 as is, you may have trouble getting the bars high enough with a drop bar conversion. However, I may be bias as your 970 (in that color) is the bike I've been lusting over (22in frame though). If it doesn't fit, I'd move it onto someone that will fit it. Sadly, I've had to move on some nice bikes due to them being too small.
Old 03-18-20, 03:58 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
Thanks for input. Yeah the 970 is about a 19 , 20 depending how measured I am 6ft..
I already know some one might fit it and I got it for a great price , so might just let him have fir same price. Now the 930 with the upslope toptube seems to fit . Was surprised, does not seem heavy just by lifting it.. I am not that experienced so how do I measure for the fork. ? The head tube or steerer, not sure how called looks a bit larger diameter than the 970. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-20, 04:14 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Awesome Rock Combo wrk101!

Slowly making some progress on mine. Decided to use the Specialized Flag crankset on another build and going with Shimano Deore XT paired with Deore DX derailleurs on this one. Hubs are also Deore DX with Specialized Rims. The original stem is way too long for me with the top tube being 59cm, so I still gotta figure that out. Other details for now...

- Specialized Touring Pedals
- Speedic Leather Saddle
- Dia Compe 987 Brakes paired with Deore LX Pad Holders
- Maxxis DTH Tires

1989 Specialized Rock Combo

Shimano Deore XT Crankset

Specialized Touring Pedal

Dia Compe 987 Cantilever Brakes
Likes For squarenoise:
Old 03-18-20, 04:28 PM
jreeves 

Bikes: 1984~85 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Raleigh Super Course, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by squarenoise
Awesome Rock Combo wrk101!

Slowly making some progress on mine. Decided to use the Specialized Flag crankset on another build and going with Shimano Deore XT paired with Deore DX derailleurs on this one. Hubs are also Deore DX with Specialized Rims. The original stem is way too long for me with the top tube being 59cm, so I still gotta figure that out. Other details for now...

- Specialized Touring Pedals
- Speedic Leather Saddle
- Dia Compe 987 Brakes paired with Deore LX Pad Holders
- Maxxis DTH Tires

1989 Specialized Rock Combo

Shimano Deore XT Crankset

Specialized Touring Pedal

Dia Compe 987 Cantilever Brakes
Nice! What's the difference between biopace HP and Biopace?
Old 03-18-20, 04:49 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Thanks for input. Yeah the 970 is about a 19 , 20 depending how measured I am 6ft..
I already know some one might fit it and I got it for a great price , so might just let him have fir same price. Now the 930 with the upslope toptube seems to fit . Was surprised, does not seem heavy just by lifting it.. I am not that experienced so how do I measure for the fork. ? The head tube or steerer, not sure how called looks a bit larger diameter than the 970. Thanks again.
I've got a 89 950 20" that I just snagged a taller quill stem with rise to it. Thinking it will get the bars high enough to be comfortable. I'm 6'1". I toyed with the idea of doing drop bars on my 90 Trek 7000 22". But I like it being all original.
Old 03-18-20, 05:09 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Originally Posted by jreeves
Nice! What's the difference between biopace HP and Biopace?
Biopace HP is not as oval as regular Biopace, kind of in-between regular round chainrings and Biopace. Marketing wise, I think the HP was "High Performance".
Old 03-18-20, 05:12 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
At 6ft, you are be in the ballpark for a 19-20in frame. This depends on other factors, but you may be able to get away with a higher stem or handlebars with some rise.
Old 03-18-20, 05:38 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

On size everyone is different. But I find on a true MTB I go for an 18 inch frame size. On a road bike I tend to go with a 22 inch frame size. With a drop bar conversion, I end up in the 19 to 20 inch size. 18 is too small, 20 is pushing it. Note, I have to be careful with TT length as some get silly long. As I recall, my 1988 Cimarron is 19 inch CTT.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 03-18-20, 07:07 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
1997 Scott

Found this interesting Scott full chromo frame with quality dropouts and "suspension geometry" 20.5" CTC.

Budget build using new and used parts. Stable geometry. Climbs like a Billy Goat. (11-34 8 speed cassette, 42 32 22 LX crankset.
Just finished today.

May fender it with SKS for the winter.
Friday update. Bars wrapped.

Last edited by IsleRide; 03-20-20 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Update on build
Likes For IsleRide:
Old 03-18-20, 09:46 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide
Found this interesting Scott full chromo frame with quality dropouts and "suspension geometry" 20.5" CTC.

Budget build using new and used parts. Stable geometry. Climbs like a Billy Goat. (11-34 8 speed cassette, 42 32 22 LX crankset.
Just finished today.

Still have to wrap bars. May fender it with SKS for the winter.

That looks great. How do you like those tires? I have a set laying around but haven’t mounted them yet.
Old 03-19-20, 07:46 AM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
That looks great. How do you like those tires? I have a set laying around but haven’t mounted them yet.
Thanks. Just mounted them yesterday but used them years ago on my hardtail mountain bike when I got into less aggressive trail riding.
I remember them surprisingly able to hook up in the dirt but the inverted tread makes them pavement friendly.

They're now made in India and very affordable. Found them a little hard to mount but not overly so.
Old 03-19-20, 12:20 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Rigid frame for SURE. Save the parts you take off the lower one, and go drop bar. Realize if you don't like it, you can always go back.

As far as drop bar hand positions, I just use from the stem to the brake lever. I am not using the drop portion. But even just the part I use, I have dozens of hand positions which really helps!

I would be looking for a shorter stem. Those two are super long. I have pretty much copied the geometry of my road bike with my drop bar conversion. So distance from the nose of the saddle to the handlebars is the same, distance from the saddle to the pedals are the same, etc. I've managed this by watching out on TT length. MTBs are all over the place TT length wise. Some are super long. I had a 1989 High Sierra that had a 1 1/2 inch LONGER top tube than the same size 1988 Schwinn Cimarron. So I went North Roads on the High Sierra.

On your top bike, that came in two versions, one had a rigid fork. So you could put a chrome MTB fork on it (think co op).

And on stem, hey, maybe that long one will work just fine for YOU. Its all about how it fits YOU.

And on the Rock Combo, one of the early drop bar conversions, just came that way from the factory... While Specialized was busy with Rock Hoppers and Stump Jumpers, they decided to take a shot at it.

Needs pink bar tape and cable housing. I have some. Wheels and saddle are not original. Wheels when acquired did not match, and cones were bad anyway.

Awesome! I didn't know they did a drop bar MTB. Just curious, what's the seat tube CTC and top tube CTC? I am wondering if they shortened the TT on this compared to their flat bar MTBs. Or maybe squarenoise could measure theirs? Edit: found some interesting info about Rock Combos here: https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retr...l#post12122919

Last edited by tricky; 03-19-20 at 12:35 PM.
Likes For tricky:
Old 03-19-20, 12:41 PM
squarenoise 

Originally Posted by tricky
Awesome! I didn't know they did a drop bar MTB. Just curious, what's the seat tube CTC and top tube CTC? I am wondering if they shortened the TT on this compared to their flat bar MTBs. Or maybe squarenoise could measure theirs?
From what I found online, they came in 3 sizes - 17, 19 1/2 and 22, that's seat tubes measured CTC. Mine is the 22 and has a 59cm top tube. The 19 1/2 frame has a 58cm top tube. Not sure of the top tube on the 17" frame.

I have a Stumpjumper Comp, also from 1989 with a 59cm CTC top tube and seat tube is about 21 1/2" CTC.
Likes For squarenoise:
Old 03-19-20, 01:20 PM
squarenoise 

Originally Posted by tricky
Edit: found some interesting info about Rock Combos here: https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retr...l#post12122919
Nice! thanks for sharing that. Interesting comment about the "heavier tubeset". I read elsewhere that the Rock Combo was on the heavier side, but wondered if it was because of the frame or the components, sooooo I weighed just the frame/fork with headset installed and my 22" came in at 8lbs 11oz. I then weighed my (same size) Stumpjumper Comp and it came in at 8lbs 9oz so pretty dang close, especially considering the Rock Combo has a longer seat tube. Anyhow, I'm a big guy and not concerned about the weight factor, but thought it was interesting.
Likes For squarenoise:
Old 03-19-20, 04:37 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
From what I found online, they came in 3 sizes - 17, 19 1/2 and 22, that's seat tubes measured CTC. Mine is the 22 and has a 59cm top tube. The 19 1/2 frame has a 58cm top tube. Not sure of the top tube on the 17" frame.

I have a Stumpjumper Comp, also from 1989 with a 59cm CTC top tube and seat tube is about 21 1/2" CTC.
Thanks for the measurements!

Nice! thanks for sharing that. Interesting comment about the "heavier tubeset". I read elsewhere that the Rock Combo was on the heavier side, but wondered if it was because of the frame or the components, sooooo I weighed just the frame/fork with headset installed and my 22" came in at 8lbs 11oz. I then weighed my (same size) Stumpjumper Comp and it came in at 8lbs 9oz so pretty dang close, especially considering the Rock Combo has a longer seat tube. Anyhow, I'm a big guy and not concerned about the weight factor, but thought it was interesting.
Interesting that the Rock Combo is so close to the Stumpjumper Comp. I held a Street Stomper frame before and thought it must have been a heavier frame than Stumpy's of the era, but, wow, 8.7 lbs? I didn't realize MTB frames were as much as twice as heavy as road frames. I was being willfully ignorant about the weight of my '87 Fisher, but if it's anything like the weight of the Stumpy, or the R Combo, it is quite the porker as well.
Old 03-22-20, 08:01 PM
spedrunr

Bikes: Bianchi: '89 Celeste Campione d'Italia, '89 Celeste Incline, 80's Grizzly, 90's Volpe, Bridgestone(90's): CB-0, MB-3 Comp, Klein road, Cannondale road

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Well thought out cable and tape colors. Cool bike
Old 03-22-20, 08:07 PM
spedrunr

Bikes: Bianchi: '89 Celeste Campione d'Italia, '89 Celeste Incline, 80's Grizzly, 90's Volpe, Bridgestone(90's): CB-0, MB-3 Comp, Klein road, Cannondale road

What kind of handlebars are those? I never really cared much for the speckled tape but you've really made it work well with the frame and cable colors.
Old 03-22-20, 08:14 PM
spedrunr

Is that logo Bike Saviors in Tempe?
Old 03-22-20, 08:19 PM
spedrunr

Originally Posted by wrk101

!st time seeing a Rock Combo, was that a hybrid mountain bike in it's day?
Old 03-22-20, 08:27 PM
spedrunr

Originally Posted by 10eroftheyear

The Fisher I'm working on....new stem should be here today at some point
Man, I'd like to see more pictures of the Salsa bike to the left (or a link to already posted pics)
Old 03-23-20, 10:44 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by spedrunr
!st time seeing a Rock Combo, was that a hybrid mountain bike in it's day?
Me too. It seems to have been a proto-gravel bike. The link is well worth following.
Old 03-23-20, 01:22 PM
PJ943 

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I was seriously contemplating one of these as a project....any tall people have experience with doing this and have advice since 21" seems to be the max size on the older MTB frames?
Old 03-23-20, 01:39 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
PJ943 I'm not tall but to get you started, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the proper reach because most of these bikes have longish to tubes and most of us use a shorter than original stem. MTB seat posts have plenty of length so your saddle height should be easily achieved with a 21" bike. Of the ridged bikes, high end early 90s bikes seem to be the lightest. Have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.