Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wave rate

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 08:52 PM
peterjm76
Irideasteelpig

Bikes: Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wave rate

What was your wave rate on your last ride? I try to keep a 90+% and wave at as many cyclists as I see. I notice that it isn’t the norm, but I think it ought to be. Loosen up your spandex and give riders you see a friendly wave or a nod!
Likes For peterjm76:
Old 03-30-20, 08:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A waving thread? Could it be!?

Old 03-30-20, 09:44 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I guess since you can't ride with others you might as well wave.
Old 03-30-20, 10:02 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I almost never, ever wave at other cyclists. 0%. I’m so elite I’m not even a 1%er.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-31-20, 01:51 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I acknowledge all creatures great and small. Return acknowledgement not expected, but nice when it happens.
Likes For justslow:
Old 03-31-20, 02:45 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I wave only at people I know, or in some rare cases when a driver shows me courtesy even if he/she's not obliged to. That said, I actually saw someone I know and waved at him on my ride last saturday.
Old 03-31-20, 04:47 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Depends on the terrain. Rippled pavement or gravel might make waves impractical. Will a wink and a pinky waggle do?

This guy waved to the nice people. Look what happened to him.

Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-31-20, 04:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Don't wave, it makes you touch your face. LOL

I nod at people when they are riding the rural and semi-rural roads I'm on, but I don't get this obsession with waving at strangers. I leave that to the toddlers.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-31-20, 04:49 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
For the sake of conversation I’ll assume a head nod counts as a wave. Unless I’m rolling over or around frost heaved pavement, potholes, or dodging roadside debris I’d say it’s about 90%. Predictably I get almost no waves when I’m on my touring bike and less when on my hybrid.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-31-20, 05:53 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I will acknowledge any passing cyclist who is more "pro" than I am. That way, I get to punch heavier than my waveclass.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-31-20, 06:07 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It must be spring.
Old 03-31-20, 06:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
For the sake of conversation I’ll assume a head nod counts as a wave. Unless I’m rolling over or around frost heaved pavement, potholes, or dodging roadside debris I’d say it’s about 90%. Predictably I get almost no waves when I’m on my touring bike and less when on my hybrid.

If you're nodding at 90% of riders in Boston, you must look like a bobblehead doll when you ride.
Old 03-31-20, 06:45 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Maybe it's the small town boy in me, but I wave or nod at everyone unless there is a steady procession of people. I say hello to strangers when I pass them on the sidewalk when there's not a steady procession of people. I don't know why, but it seems like the most polite thing to do. I have made some general observations about who is most likely to wave back and who is not.

My wife and I have done a few MUP rides lately where I have put my observations to the test, and my predictions rarely fail me. Older (50ish +) white males on high dollar road bikes are the least likely to wave, head nod or smile. Women and African Americans on almost any kind of bike almost always give a friendly greeting. Almost all people on comfort or cruiser kind of bikes will give a greeting. Everything else falls somewhere in between.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-31-20, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Maybe it's the small town boy in me, but I wave or nod at everyone unless there is a steady procession of people. I say hello to strangers when I pass them on the sidewalk when there's not a steady procession of people. I don't know why, but it seems like the most polite thing to do. I have made some general observations about who is most likely to wave back and who is not.

My wife and I have done a few MUP rides lately where I have put my observations to the test, and my predictions rarely fail me. Older (50ish +) white males on high dollar road bikes are the least likely to wave, head nod or smile. Women and African Americans on almost any kind of bike almost always give a friendly greeting. Almost all people on comfort or cruiser kind of bikes will give a greeting. Everything else falls somewhere in between.
Not on a high dollar road bike, but otherwise I am in your unfriendly demographic..

On a MUP, I'm much more focused on announcing my passes than I am the social niceties with oncoming people, but I do say hi when I feel like it. I haven't observed the demographics of friendliness working the way you describe on MUPs, and it may even be the opposite on roads, I wouldn't put much stock in my observations of this anyway, as we as humans all suffer from confirmation bias/selective memory.

I did have the same social situation happen twice in quick succession the last time I was on a MUP, and they made me feel kind of sad. In both times, I announced from way back that I was about to pass the young mother and her child on the left. I then passed the mother very slowly, and then proceeded to slowly pass the child, repeating that I was about to pass. In both cases, the child had a bit of momentary confusion until the mother yelled "stay to the right", at no time was there ever any real danger to the child as I gave myself plenty of room and time to react to the slight bobble. What made me feel sad was that in both times, the mother felt the need to apologize profusely when both adults had handled the situation precisely as they should. I did my best to communicate "no need to apologize" while respecting social distancing and not slowing down to stay in proximity, but I have no idea if that got heard.

MUPs are where parents need to teach their kids to ride safely, and that means being able to correct their mistakes. Thank parents when they do this--don't make them feel bad.
Old 03-31-20, 07:14 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I might wave or nod my head or ring my bell OR ALL THREE!!!

Gave the motorist a HUGE WAVE after he passed me with side mirror 2 feet from my head.

p.s. - He stopped, opened the window and angrily told me that I should not be on the road as I went around him. He then proceeded to get right up to my rear wheel before accelerating past me. If the truck was a diesel, I would have been the recipient of Rolling Coal.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 03-31-20 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-31-20, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Gave the motorist a HUGE WAVE after he passed me with side mirror 2 feet from my head.

p.s. - He stopped, opened the window and angrily told me that I should not be on the road as I went around him. He then proceeded to get right up to my rear wheel before accelerating past me. If the truck was a diesel, I would have been the recipient of Rolling Coal.

In a situation like that, I save energy on the wave by only using one finger.

If someone is slowing or stopping to argue with me, I take that as a threat and will deliberately begin to act insane enough that they won't want to risk getting out of the car. If they're inclined to hit me with their vehicle, that's already so insane that I don't know whether ignoring them or acting like a nut will or won't make it more likely to happen.
Old 03-31-20, 07:23 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you're nodding at 90% of riders in Boston, you must look like a bobblehead doll when you ride.
LOL, I mostly stay away from Boston and when I do I don’t give waving a second thought.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-31-20, 07:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Wave rate

I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
. ..Personally, I do wave, except where there are loads of cyclists, such as my early morning commute in downtown Boston. I’m not put off by a lack of response either.
I do have a seemingly unique greeting besides, or in addition to a wave. I yell a hearty “YO.” It’s an easy syllable to shout, and IMO expresses a crusty comeraderie, yet does not expect a reply. Maybe you could try that.

A couple years ago on the Wall Street Journal morning news program on the radio was a feature segment about runners and cyclists greeting each other. The most significant reason to do so, as I recall was that both participants in such an encounter face the same dangers on the roads and MUPs.
and
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
"How do I Take My Waves Back ?"

I waved at another rider, but they didn't wave back.. How can I retract my wave so that it doesn't count ?
When I see a roadie, I don't wave, but instead I yell "Yo" as a signal of camaraderie. IMO, that doesn't require a response, and you don't appear to be a Fred if unanswered. Probably the other rider is out of breath.

And when you do get a wave back...you've won!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-31-20 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added quote by livedarklions
Old 03-31-20, 07:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I'll usually respond in kind, but unless I'm out in the boonies, there's too many people to initiate.

The exceptions are small kids on bikes, I usually ring my bell and wave or give a thumbs-up. And other winter bike-commuters when it's below freezing, or the streets are snow-packed. Or rain, or any unusual circumstance I can't think of at the moment.

Also, my commute takes me through a section of town where the homeless and destitute gravitate. When I find myself stopped at light, or some other encounter, I like to look at them, smile and wish them a good morning, usually, their faces break out in a big smile, except for those who are dealing with mental or emotional problems. And if they're on a bike I try to compliment it in some way, either mentioning the brand, or if they've bodged something together in a clever way...because I have bodged and kludged and tried to make do in the past and people like to have their work recognized.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-31-20, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Wave rate

I have previously posted:and
I greet, nod and wave when I feel like it. Don't think there needs to be an etiquette about it, and no one should be criticized if they don't like doing it.

Next up, when the gyms reopen, do I have to wave at everyone on a stationary bike?
Old 03-31-20, 08:07 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Everyone should wave at everyone and everything continually.
Old 03-31-20, 08:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Spin Class...

Next up, when the gyms reopen, do I have to wave at everyone on a stationary bike?
...where you can get the bike in the center of the class and wave to all the riders around you. Oh, the bliss.
Old 03-31-20, 08:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
...where you can get the bike in the center of the class and wave to all the riders around you. Oh, the bliss.
No spin class at my gym, and I never use the things. I could wave while I'm walking by.
Old 03-31-20, 08:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Not on a high dollar road bike, but otherwise I am in your unfriendly demographic..

On a MUP, I'm much more focused on announcing my passes than I am the social niceties with oncoming people, but I do say hi when I feel like it. I haven't observed the demographics of friendliness working the way you describe on MUPs, and it may even be the opposite on roads, I wouldn't put much stock in my observations of this anyway, as we as humans all suffer from confirmation bias/selective memory.

I did have the same social situation happen twice in quick succession the last time I was on a MUP, and they made me feel kind of sad. In both times, I announced from way back that I was about to pass the young mother and her child on the left. I then passed the mother very slowly, and then proceeded to slowly pass the child, repeating that I was about to pass. In both cases, the child had a bit of momentary confusion until the mother yelled "stay to the right", at no time was there ever any real danger to the child as I gave myself plenty of room and time to react to the slight bobble. What made me feel sad was that in both times, the mother felt the need to apologize profusely when both adults had handled the situation precisely as they should. I did my best to communicate "no need to apologize" while respecting social distancing and not slowing down to stay in proximity, but I have no idea if that got heard.

MUPs are where parents need to teach their kids to ride safely, and that means being able to correct their mistakes. Thank parents when they do this--don't make them feel bad.
I have come to realize over the years that here on this forum when MUP is mentioned we all conjure up different mental images, and it shapes our responses. Here in the NOLA area there are places where I have to go into collision avoidance mode when there are lots pedestrians, skaters, and cyclists of all age groups. There, I understand why waves, nods and such aren't the norm. We are so fortunate that our MUPs don't see a lot of activity once you get out away from the parks and parking lots. For me observing human behavior and making mental notes keeps my mind occupied on otherwise repetitive routes.

I fully expect kids on bikes, kids walking and dogs to meander into my path. I believe it's my duty to expect it. I adjust my speed and behavior accordingly. I like that parents use it as a teaching moment, and I also tell them there is no need to apologize. I take occasion to speak politely to them and smile when I pass. All of those other users drive too and maybe, just maybe, being polite on the path will foster polite passes on the road. It certainly won't hurt anything, and a friendly exchange among strangers can brighten my day.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-31-20, 08:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I like that parents use it as a teaching moment, and I also tell them there is no need to apologize. I take occasion to speak politely to them and smile when I pass. All of those other users drive too and maybe, just maybe, being polite on the path will foster polite passes on the road. It certainly won't hurt anything, and a friendly exchange among strangers can brighten my day.
Yup, my main frustration right now is that taking the time to have the polite exchange would probably make them nervous about violating social distance rules Normally, I go out of my way to let them know that I think it's my job to accommodate them, not the other way around.

Also, when I approach a kid on the path, I find it much safer to just assume he/she is going to get it wrong, and get pleasantly surprised when they don't. All the way over and really slow gives me plenty of time to adjust either way.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.