Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clydes and clicking pedals while climbing.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-03-20, 01:06 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

The good news: I'm riding pretty consistently already this spring. I climb quite a few hills up and down the Little Miami River Valley near Bellbrook, Ohio where I live. I can climb seated or standing. I'm not the best climber but I'm also not the worst in my bike club.

The bad news: I rarely can keep my cranks +/or pedals silent for very long. I seem to be really hard on my Shimano Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 pedals. These top of the line Shimano pedals have loose ball bearings and adjustable cones/locknuts that seem to require a rebuild at least once a year. I notice that when I clean around my pedal axle/crank interface, I am constantly wiping away small amounts of black grease. Once I see this, I will start to hear a faint ticking. If I ignore the ticking, the noise worsens and eventually I will feel play in the pedal axle. If I am still trying to ride the same pedals on the steeper hills I end up climbing seated because the pressure on the bike while standing starts to do damage to the parts at this point. I have a set of Dura Ace 9000 pedals in the process of being rebuilt for the second time where the hardened bearing race in the pedal body is delaminating from the socket that it was glued or soldered into. A few ribbons of foil-like steel had to be scraped away around the edges of the race. I plan to see if the pedal will hold up for this 2nd rebuild.

I'm starting the season weighing in at 205 pounds. My weight probably contributes to the wear and tear on these pedal adjustments making me need to rebuild them more frequently.

What have other Clydes run into with respect to pedal durability? Thanks for any feedback you can give.
Old 04-03-20, 08:52 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I'm going to SERIOUSLY doubt your weight is the issue. I say this as I have been significantly heavier.And significantly stronger in the past. That was when I broke things. Power. 30 years ago and at 230. And for the past 18 months, I've lost nearly 140 pounds (378 to 240ish) and never destroyed any pedals. Actually rebuilt the MKS pedals I DIDN'T destroy 30 years ago recently.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 04-04-20, 04:19 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by zjrog
I'm going to SERIOUSLY doubt your weight is the issue. I say this as I have been significantly heavier.And significantly stronger in the past. That was when I broke things. Power. 30 years ago and at 230. And for the past 18 months, I've lost nearly 140 pounds (378 to 240ish) and never destroyed any pedals. Actually rebuilt the MKS pedals I DIDN'T destroy 30 years ago recently.
That speaks volumes to the durability of MKS pedals! For over 20 years the only clipless pedals I used (I had the same style on 3 different bikes so I could use the same set of cleats) were MKS MapStage. They never clicked but I actually re-greased them about once every year or two.

And thank you for saying my weight is not the issue. I kind of thought it was the Dura Ace pedals. It could have been that my first re-build did not keep because of some failure on my part to sufficiently tighten the cone right up to the point where there was no free play, just to the point of bearings starting to grind. I’m going back at it with my tweezers, my micro grease gun, the correct cone wrenches (20mm & 14mm I believe) & snap ring pliers and hopefully this next rebuild (I have 2 sets of the 9000’s to do now) will keep.

I have learned one one thing about using excess grease: too much can mask the correct bearing preload since the excess gets squashed out anyway, then what you are left with is a bearing adjustment ever so slightly loose.

I thought these re-buildable Dura Ace pedals would be for me but I’m beginning to think that the Ultegra version with the cartridge bearings might require less maintenance and be fine for less money. Shimano pricing is up anyway due to their lockdown of European grey market sales to the US a couple years back.

Last edited by masi61; 04-04-20 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-04-20, 09:05 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I don't think the Ultegra SPD-SL pedals has cartridge bearings

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-PD-R8000-4232.pdf
Old 04-04-20, 09:30 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I don't think the Ultegra SPD-SL pedals has cartridge bearings

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-PD-R8000-4232.pdf
Oh yeah - I stand corrected. I think what I was talking about is that the Ultegra pedal uses an axle assembly (item #1 of the exploded diagram). I’ve seen where you can purchase the entire axle assembly separately. More of a low maintenance option for refreshing your pedals if you chose not to deal with all those tiny ball bearings.
Old 04-04-20, 03:12 PM
masi61

https://www.paul-lange.de/index.php/...-9000-3329.pdf

Here is the link for the Dura Ace PD-9000 pedals.
Old 04-07-20, 09:12 AM
ts99

Bikes: 1977 Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
And for the past 18 months, I've lost nearly 140 pounds (378 to 240ish)
Dang!!!
Old 04-08-20, 04:18 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by ts99
Dang!!!
Yeah! @zjrog really is inspirational. I agree with him that my weight is not likely to be the cause of my pedal clicking.

The cause is is apparently a tiny bit of free play that develops in the Dura Ace 9000 pedals. I was in my garage with an LED headlight, some paper towels, my new 3/32” bearings yesterday and practicing a rebuild on one of the pedals. I was out of practice and having difficulty getting the 9 little bearings into the far end of the pedal body. Turns out I had more than 9 in there. I had to magnetize the tip of a scriber and fish them out and count them. Now I have the right # in there - 9. The axle subassembly inner bearing that is closer to the crank has 17 of the 3/32” bearings held in place with a circlip. I found that I was able to lay a very thin bead of grease with my Pedro’s mini grease gun while holding the axle up vertically on a shop rag. I got all 17 bearings to stay put while I clicked the circlip in place. That makes those 17 bearings stay where I want them while I then adjust the cup and cone to dial out all play then lock down the thin lock nut with the 20mm cone wrench.

I’m crossing my fingers that after I swap these out on my triple chainring road bike, my standing climbing should be click and creak free. I used my 3/8” drive T-handle with a 5mm Allen socket and a Shimano flat chainring nut tool to double check the tightness of all 3 chainring. I was able to tight 3 or 4 of them slightly. But when I went out riding yesterday and did my hills, the ticking was still there, so I’m fairly confident that the clicking noise is pedal generated.
Old 04-08-20, 04:33 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have a bike with 105 pedals, one with the Ultegra and two with the 540 model whatever level they are. Anyway I have been using the 105's for years and not one issue. The Ultegra are newer but no issues and one of the two 540's are probably a decade or so old and not one issue with any Shimano pedal I have ever used. I was once at 336 on those and was all good. Maybe your BB???

Not meaning to thread jack but CONGRATS!! This is excellent for you!
Old 04-08-20, 09:09 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I have a bike with 105 pedals, one with the Ultegra and two with the 540 model whatever level they are. Anyway I have been using the 105's for years and not one issue. The Ultegra are newer but no issues and one of the two 540's are probably a decade or so old and not one issue with any Shimano pedal I have ever used. I was once at 336 on those and was all good. Maybe your BB???

Not meaning to thread jack but CONGRATS!! This is excellent for you!
Thank you. At 230 pounds, I used to break pedal axles. Friends used to give me things to try and break. What I didn't break, everyone bought... I'll never be that strong again. I'll never hammer up hills that same way. I'd like to think I'm much smarter now.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 04-08-20, 03:32 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by sdmc530
i have a bike with 105 pedals, one with the ultegra and two with the 540 model whatever level they are. Anyway i have been using the 105's for years and not one issue. The ultegra are newer but no issues and one of the two 540's are probably a decade or so old and not one issue with any shimano pedal i have ever used. I was once at 336 on those and was all good. Maybe your bb???

not my bb. I've had the ultegra 6600 bb out and back in and know that it is tight. I don't feel any side play on my cranks but i guess i can loosen the 2 opposing pinch bolts then use the little preload hand tool that is used to snug up the non-drive side crank arm on the remote chance that it is to blame.

I actually think i now know the specific sound that dura ace 9000 pedals make when the loss of full bearing pre-load occurs. I'm at work today but fill finish re-packing the 2nd pedal tomorrow morning then go ride them to road test for quietness. I'm optimistic at this point. One takeway for me is that current dura ace pedals, as good as they are - are probably not a "clyde approved" item. They are more of a racer-tech, weight-weenie item.

sdmc530 - your track record with the various shimano pedals you listed is exceptional! I have not been so lucky. I will say that i like climbing and my ideal would be a quiet, strong, tossable climbing bike that shifted well on climbs and permitted drama free climbing both in and out of the saddle. I'm almost there because my titanium bike is like this now. I just need a bit more tweaking to get my 3x9 aluminum bike there.

not meaning to thread jack but congrats!! This is excellent for you!
+1

Last edited by masi61; 04-08-20 at 04:00 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 04-13-20, 09:11 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Clicking bottom bracket area sounds

One of the most annoying issues is a click, creak, ping, snap or other not normal bicycle sound while riding I recently built a drop bar 1980"s era steel Nishiki Sebring with used Raceface Square Taper 180mm Cranks. Something on the right side creaked in time with the pedal stroke. I changed out the pedal with another, still the noise. I changed out the crank no noise. So the issue came down to that JIS Square Taper connection. Eventually I found a torque rating for Raceface and using a torque wrench I tightened the crank to axle bolt. That got rid of the creaking. There was more to that story but the proper torque was the answer so far. Using a process of elimination led me to the culprit. I don't own any loose ball pedals anymore. I use Welgo platforms and a Velo Orange platform. All have either a bushing inner bearing and outer cartridge bearing or two cartridge bearings. These pedals get noisy and need maintenance every few years. But normally they are very quiet. Try some other pedal and see if the creaking stops. If not try changing the cranks, then the bottom bracket axle and bearings. I even closely checked the frame for micro cracks. Unwanted noises are very annoying. Good luck finding the culprit.