Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tires for old Peugeot PRN10 76-78

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 05:01 PM
kaiserschmarrn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I am trying to get my old Peugeot PRN10 out and start riding again. Eventually I would like to find some of the original parts that were on it, then replace them (the bike was a gift from the original owner). Already I have gotten a set of the original Velox NOS bar plugs. One fell out somewhere. I also have found some similar tubes. Originally it had some Michelin ones that had threaded metal valves that had a screw down retainer nut. What I got now are some Continental Touring Tubes in a 700C sizes that works for 27x1-1/8 to 1-1/4. After the originals died in the 80s, I was not able to find tubes like that pre-Internet. I am excited that I am already closer to where it started out.

The Original tires were Michelin Elan TS in 27x1-1/4 on the original Super Champion rims. Those got replaced by some Specialized Touring Tires way back (which are now dry rotted). The Michelins, I think, if my memory is correct, had some sidewall blowouts which I have found plagued these tires.

I found some talk on the sight in a sticky about Continental Iltra Sport II which look good, and I think I will buy. The trouble I am having here is that some say that this is a large profile tire, and maybe even large for that size of tire. I have also seen some talk about fitting 27x1-1/8 tires where 27x1-1/4 were formerly. Should I get the original 1-1/4 with this tire, or try to fit 1-1/8?

Thanks for any help,

Danny
Old 04-11-20, 05:36 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The catalogs are online which will help you restore your bike:
https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...10E%20Text.jpg

If you post some pics of the bike (and especially the drive side), we can help you some more but you can't post pics until you have at least 10 posts.

The PRN 10 in the late 70s came stock with 27 inch wheels. Panaracer protite 27 inch tires are very good, decently priced and will look right on your bike.
Old 04-11-20, 06:15 PM
kaiserschmarrn

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The catalogs are online which will help you restore your bike:
*link removed*
If you post some pics of the bike (and especially the drive side), we can help you some more but you can't post pics until you have at least 10 posts.

The PRN 10 in the late 70s came stock with 27 inch wheels. Panaracer protite 27 inch tires are very good, decently priced and will look right on your bike.
I will post some pics. when I get enough points and get the bike out. I found links of two bikes that come close to mine, but the site won't let me post the links either, and it seems like I have to remove your quoted link to get the posting to go through.

I searched for those tires and I see why (I think) that you recommended them. They have a similar vintage look to my originals. With that said, if I do not go vintage look, are the ones that I mentioned decent. They are all black which I like and seem to be a bottom end racing tire vs. a commuter or touring tire for the Panaracer.

Now, which of the two sizes?

​​​
Danny

Last edited by kaiserschmarrn; 04-11-20 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 10:12 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Depending on how much fork crown, chainstay, and rear brake clearance you have, you may be able to use full 27 x 1-1/4 tires. I remember the Michelin Elan, which were the first 27" low-profile tire, with only 1" / 25cm width and profile height above the rim.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-11-20, 10:44 PM
kaiserschmarrn

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Depending on how much fork crown, chainstay, and rear brake clearance you have, you may be able to use full 27 x 1-1/4 tires. I remember the Michelin Elan, which were the first 27" low-profile tire, with only 1" / 25cm width and profile height above the rim.
Would I then be better to try 27x1-1/8 then, based on the Michelin Elan having been low profile? It was a long time ago that I put the Specialized tires on, but I vaguely remember some issues with getting the tires through the brakes while inflated., possibly clearance was tighter on diameter of the rear, but they are on and working, just dry rotted severely.

Based on the prior posting, I have identified the original front derailleur and will try buying it tomorrow. If I get that, the bike will be all original except for the saddle, tires, toeclip straps and tubes, and the front and rear reflector that I removed, which as an assembly, works as the mounting spacer for the Mafac Racer Brakes. It is highly unlikely that I will ever find the reflectors. Now that I have found tubes with metal threaded Schrader Valves , that is almost like having the original ones.

I have kind of figured that this might be a '77 based on the Owner's Manual style (there are only three years that look like it) and the Michelin Elan Tires being an option, but that is not for sure. When I get it down to mount the tires, I will have to look for a serial number.

Danny

Last edited by kaiserschmarrn; 04-11-20 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 09:43 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Those are very nice bikes. Worth the Effort to get it roadworthy.
Old 04-12-20, 09:47 AM
kaiserschmarrn

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Whit51
Those are very nice bikes. Worth the Effort to get it roadworthy.
I agree. Not much to do to get it roadworthy, but it was gifted to me from a friend, so it has sentimental value, so that is why I want to put it back as close as possible to original. If I continue to ride enough this year, I might buy a new bike for next year.

Danny
Old 04-12-20, 09:58 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I would go with Panaracer Pasela 27 x 1". Paselas run big. The 1" tires look right on classic bikes, and ride well. Ebay sellers will sell two tires and two tubes for around $50.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 04-12-20, 10:02 AM
kaiserschmarrn

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I would go with Panaracer Pasela 27 x 1". Paselas run big. The 1" tires look right on classic bikes, and ride well. Ebay sellers will sell two tires and two tubes for around $50.
No problem putting those 1" on Super Champion (58?) rims that now have 1-1/4"?

Danny
Old 04-12-20, 10:10 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by kaiserschmarrn
No problem putting those 1" on Super Champion (58?) rims that now have 1-1/4"?

Danny
You can run 27 x 1 inch, 27 x 1 and an 1/8, and 27 x 1 and a 1/4 tirs on those rims. The one issue you might have is that the larger volume tire may not fit right (there might be some rub) with the 27 and 1 and a 1/4 tire. I suspect that won't be a problem. That was not an issue with your original tires. These bikes were originally kitted out with 27 inch alloy rims so hopefully they were designed to fit a large volume tire as well. I have a mid 70s Peugeot PR 10. I'm currently running 27 x 1 and 1/4 tires without any issues. But you never know for sure until you mount the tire on the rim and install the wheel on the bike. Personally I'd go for the larger volume tire as that lets you run the tire at a lower pressure. A little cushier tire is a good thing in my book. YMMV.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-12-20 at 11:31 AM.