Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Women's vs. Men's bib shorts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 09:24 AM
Grandthings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello
I am female, kind of tall and I went shopping for my first pair of bib shorts today. I tried on a pair of womens bib shorts and they felt quite tight om my body and restricted my movement somewhat. After that I tried on a pair of men's bib shorts which were more comfortable, I could move in them a bit better. I know that the padding sits differently depending on the gender. It felts more covering in the female ones but the men's ones didn't feel as tight.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and what choice did you make? How tight are bib shorts supposed to be? I feel a bit confused. It is a big investment for me.
The very helpful salesman said I had to go with whatever works for me, but I have no experience so I am clueless.

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated
Old 04-15-20, 09:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
I think women's bibs have (relatively) shorter straps, since women tend to be higher-waisted than men. So, if you're tall, you might find that men's bibs fit you better.
Old 04-15-20, 09:39 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Grandthings
Hello
I am female, kind of tall and I went shopping for my first pair of bib shorts today. I tried on a pair of womens bib shorts and they felt quite tight om my body and restricted my movement somewhat. After that I tried on a pair of men's bib shorts which were more comfortable, I could move in them a bit better. I know that the padding sits differently depending on the gender. It felts more covering in the female ones but the men's ones didn't feel as tight.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and what choice did you make? How tight are bib shorts supposed to be? I feel a bit confused. It is a big investment for me.
The very helpful salesman said I had to go with whatever works for me, but I have no experience so I am clueless.

As another female rider (and 5' 10"), I can tell you:
1.) Cycling clothing is supposed to be fitted enough to provide some semblance of aerodynamics and compression, not tight enough to restrict blood flow.
2.) Don't cheap out on it, but you don't have to break the bank either. For instance: I have yet to find anything from Canari (cheap stuff, for the most part) that fits correctly or lasts for very long at all; but bibs from theblackbibs.com are great (and moderately priced).
3.) Absolutely forget about judging cycling clothing sizes by everyday clothing...and yes, that is its own exercise in frustration. You might find that you need to size up one or even two sizes depending on the brand.
4.) I wouldn't use men's shorts. They might feel fine in the dressing room, and even for the first 10 minutes riding. Anything after that is just an invitation to extreme discomfort and chafing (my god, the chafing).

Anyway, that's been my experience. Welcome to BF, and good luck.
Likes For Jadesfire:
Old 04-15-20, 09:40 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
In my experience, they stretch out after a couple wearings/washings. So, I like to buy them as tight as is comfortable when new. Personally, I like my bibs quite snug - because they keep everything in place better. But I'm a guy with different issues.

My wife has tried men's bibs in the past, and she generally did not like how the chamois was cut for men.

You might want to try a different size or different brand of women's bibs.
Old 04-15-20, 09:44 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Hello

As a man I have a lot of trouble with bib shorts since the call of nature is so damned difficult with them. But it is also hard to get a team kit any other way.

I would suggest that you buy a pair that you feel fit you and give them a try. I don't think that you would like them in any case since they are so difficult to deal with. You have to remove your jersey to use the ladies room and that isn't exactly great in a public restroom in cold weather. On the other hand, shorts will often ride down and catch the nose of the saddle as you move in and out of the saddle pulling them down further.

This world is full of imperfections.
Old 04-15-20, 11:25 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Make sure you sit on a bike in a riding position while wearing potential purchases, if possible, before you decide you like/dislike a pair of cycling shorts, bibs, knickers, conventional, mt bike, or otherwise.
Old 04-15-20, 12:28 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I ran out of clean shorts one day when I wanted to ride so I used one of my wife's new pair (that she'll likely never use). Aside from being a little tight, the guys just didn't get comfortable in them. It was a good thing it wasn't going to be a long ride. I'm sure it's the same the other way too.

Try them on, get on a bike on a trainer in the shop, or at least stand over your own bike, and decide. Or do what I've done, buy a bunch online. They are so cheap, and cheaply made too in some cases, that they become throw-away items. But every now and then a good pair show up and I'll buy a second or third. And then the brand disappears...
Old 04-16-20, 12:03 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Hello
I am female, kind of tall and I went shopping for my first pair of bib shorts today. I tried on a pair of womens bib shorts and they felt quite tight om my body and restricted my movement somewhat.
Keep in mind bib shorts are often designed to be comfortable when leaned over on a bike, so to evaluate fit what I do is lean over and reach forward... Something a bit closer to a cycling position. Otherwise they're almost always tight in front, and the straps can be tight, but that then loosens up when you lean over.
Old 04-16-20, 12:07 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
3.) Absolutely forget about judging cycling clothing sizes by everyday clothing...
No kidding! I normally buy clothes in S or M, but just bought a pair of Castelli bib shorts in XL! Only in cycling gear am I ever XL... But it is what it is, and I'm super happy with them.
Old 04-16-20, 06:00 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
No kidding! I normally buy clothes in S or M, but just bought a pair of Castelli bib shorts in XL! Only in cycling gear am I ever XL... But it is what it is, and I'm super happy with them.
Tell me about it. I like Castelli stuff, but I can't wear it- far too race-fitting for my body type. I've got a really nice jersey from them that has been relegated to the "maybe someday" stack of clothing.
Old 04-16-20, 06:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Agree with above advice. If you want to get more personal/details, you may want to check out the "women's only" forum. You need special access from Siu Blue Wind .
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-16-20, 07:09 AM
Grandthings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the very helpful advice! I live in a country where there is not a lot of choise as it is and for women the choice is even less. Maybe I need to see if there is a size up to what I tried on even if it needs to be orderd in to the shop. I am too scared to blindly purcase something online.

​​​I love reading all of these personal anecdotes
Old 04-17-20, 12:34 AM
Grandthings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Northwave clothes? The fit and quality. I read somewhere that the sizes were a bit bigger compared to other brands? Maybe they would fit better.
Old 04-18-20, 08:03 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Make sure you sit on a bike in a riding position while wearing potential purchases, if possible, before you decide you like/dislike a pair of cycling shorts, bibs, knickers, conventional, mt bike, or otherwise.
Correct. They're not designed to feel comfortable walking around a store.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-18-20, 11:32 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
5'6.5" 160 (now 152 lb) female. XL all the way. I'm happy with my two long sleeve winter Castelli jerseys and my Voler summer jersey. Good quality, but not super cheap ($70 on sale). They were my first full zip jerseys and I have to say, I highly recommend full zip rather than over the head, especially for long sleeve. I'm still wearing my 20 year old summer jerseys from the sale racks of Performance and REI. I got a pair of the black bibs and they are pretty nice, but they also run really small. XL is very snug, but hopefully they sill stretch some. Five years ago I found some shorts I really liked at Performance and managed to get a second pair from the clearance rack the next year. They changed the padding and it felt like wearing a diaper. The new pair is coming out of deep storage this spring! Men's cycling clothing does not fit me well at all. But I'm not a beanpole.
Old 04-19-20, 10:07 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I (and my wife) like Gore brand cycling gear for the fit. One of the locals in Italy told me Americans are too "robusto" to wear Castelli . I do have a few Castelli products but they are all a much larger size than I wear in other brands...
Old 04-20-20, 01:33 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I expected this to be a thread about guys buying female bibs because they're cheaper and/or on sale
Old 04-20-20, 10:00 AM
RiceAWay

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
[QUOTE=a1penguin;21426571]5'6.5" 160 (now 152 lb) female. XL all the way. I'm happy with my two long sleeve winter Castelli jerseys and my Voler summer jersey. Good quality, but not super cheap ($70 on sale). They were my first full zip jerseys and I have to say, I highly recommend full zip rather than over the head, especially for long sleeve. I'm still wearing my 20 year old summer jerseys from the sale racks of Performance and REI. I got a pair of the black bibs and they are pretty nice, but they also run really small. XL is very snug, but hopefully they sill stretch some. Five years ago I found some shorts I really liked at Performance and managed to get a second pair from the clearance rack the next year. They changed the padding and it felt like wearing a diaper. The new pair is coming out of deep storage this spring! Men's cycling clothing does not fit me well at all. But I'm not a beanpole.[/QUOT
Yeah, I really miss Performance and Nashbar. I am on the last set of Nashbar thermal tights and they cost me 1/3rd what they do elsewhere and wear better. Those companies are "back" but not like they were and it will probably take some time for the new owners to fill the niche that the older versions did. Yesterday I was riding down San Ramon Valley Blvd and two women came flying by. I am presently in winter shape meaning 15 or 16 continuous is my top end. Two miles up the road they were pulled over for something not obvious which may have been just resting since they went by at 400 watts. They didn't pass me before I turned off so I have no idea what became of them. Maybe they were each about to go to their own homes and were talking. I can't stand around anywhere that doesn't have a facility since at 75 there's no waiting about.

This is why you have to have a full zippered jersey if you wear bibs.
Old 04-20-20, 12:40 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I'm pear shaped so bibs don't fit me right, men or ladies. I do prefer mens shorts though because the padding is so much superior to padding on ladies shorts.
How do I get into the Ladies Forum? I clicked that name but it didn't give any details.
Old 04-20-20, 12:49 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I'll add that my wife is a huge fan of Specialized women's SL bibs. We often stock up when they are on sale.
Old 04-20-20, 01:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
I'm pear shaped so bibs don't fit me right, men or ladies. I do prefer mens shorts though because the padding is so much superior to padding on ladies shorts.
Have you looked at Castelli? The pads in the men's and women's bibs are the same.
Old 04-20-20, 01:56 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Have you looked at Castelli? The pads in the men's and women's bibs are the same.
I haven't because being pear shaped, I'm bigger on the bottom them on the top. Bibs don't work for me at all. But I'll keep that in mind for the shorts, thanks!!!