Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Not a biker want to bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Not a biker want to bike

Old 04-26-20, 04:56 PM
Total Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not a biker want to bike

Hi!

So this is all new to me. I’m not handy but I am athletic, know how to bike (not like you all) and live in a small nyc walk up. This corona thing has laid me up - no gym access - and I’d like to get out and bike some empty streets and along the Hudson. Me and my guy.
I need a turn key solution with maybe a nice squishy seat attachment for my... well comfort. (That’s my level of technical expertise.)
A relatively light bike for the apt. walk up, easily foldable and compact for my limited space, and since I’m not a biker something solid but not too pricey. I’d rather pay 400 but can probably maybe rather not shell out 600. But I could be convinced.
Used isn’t really an option since the world is in isolation.
Recommendations? Thoughts? Deals?
oh! I’m 5’5”, isolation weight 125.
Thanks!!!
Old 04-26-20, 05:15 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Hahaha, "isolation weight". Ain't that the truth!!! Anyway, lightweight bikes aren't cheap bikes. So what is lightweight to you? For me, my max carry is 20lbs. Light bikes are pricey. Can you carry 25lbs up your walkup? What about 30lbs? That's the first thing to decide because it will determine everything else.
Second question - do you need gears or will a single speed work for you? In other words, will you be riding only flats or will you want to climb bridges and hills?
Third question - road conditions, do you expect to ride lots of potholed rough roads or are they fairly well maintained surfaces?
Fourth question - do you have any thoughts about whether you want a 20" wheel or a 16" wheel? The 20" will be a more comfortable ride on average, but slightly bigger fold and a bit more weight. The 16" wheel will porbably have a rougher ride but will fold more compactly and be a bit lighter weight.
Bike seats (saddles) can easily be changed out and it often takes more than one try to find what's really comfie for you, so don't worry about that right now.
Answer these questions and I think we can point you in a good direction.
Old 04-26-20, 05:58 PM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you carry 25lbs up your walkup? What about 30lbs? That's the first thing to decide because it will determine everything else.
Second question - do you need gears or will a single speed work for you? In other words, will you be riding only flats or will you want to climb bridges and hills?
Third question - road conditions, do you expect to ride lots of potholed rough roads or are they fairly well maintained surfaces?
Fourth question - do you have any thoughts about whether you want a 20" wheel or a 16" wheel? The 20" will be a more comfortable ride on average, but slightly bigger fold and a bit more weight. The 16" wheel will porbably have a rougher ride but will fold more compactly and be a bit lighter weight.

Thank you!!!
I can carry my 20 lb dog handily up the stairs so probably 25lbs is a good bet. I prefer several gears - Could be 10 or less but more than 5. If I get to Central Park there are some hills. Roads are mostly smooth where I’ll be riding- if not I’ll switch streets. As to size of wheels, I can compromise and go smaller than 20 for weight and storage.
much appreciated!!
Old 04-26-20, 06:51 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Check with BFold on 13th st. They should have some
models that can meet your needs within your budget.
https://bfold.com/
Likes For 1nterceptor:
Old 04-26-20, 06:59 PM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmm I love that they are NY based but their least expensive bike is 750 and the rest are over 1k. Not much of a choice and over my budget. So I need to find an alternative.
Old 04-26-20, 07:00 PM
linberl

Here's 3 to look at. The Costco bike can also be purchased direct from Zizzo, but if you're a costco member (or known one will share their member # with you to order) they have a great return policy. Downtube is well regarded on Bike Forums; use the search feature to read about the Nova and the Zizzo Liberte. The Boardwalk Classic from Dahon (thorusa) is a bit more than you wanted to spend, but it is a bike you could eventually upgrade - it has a cromoly frame and is not too heavy.

https://www.downtube.com/downtube-no...estionsanswers

https://www.costco.com/zizzo-liberte...100483464.html

Dahon Boardwalk Classic ---oooh, if you like the classic, Thor has a showroom model (nearly new) for $499. https://www.thorusa.com/accessories/oneoff.htm you can see all the models in the drop down. If interested, I'd just call him directly and talk.

Last edited by linberl; 04-26-20 at 07:11 PM.
Likes For linberl:
Old 04-26-20, 07:01 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Total Newbie
Hmmm I love that they are NY based but their least expensive bike is 750 and the rest are over 1k. Not much of a choice and over my budget. So I need to find an alternative.
Call to see what they have in their showroom. Also, a word of warning (I'll beat everyone to the punch), please, whatever you get, DON'T get a Tern folding bike. Their frames are still breaking today.
Old 04-26-20, 08:34 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Linberl suggested three good choices, that would serve you well. You could also look at this bike Origami Crane which is in your price range. Of all of them I prefer that Dahon but it does cost more.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 04-26-20, 09:21 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Origami makes affordable folding bikes, and the pricing and customer service is top notch.
https://www.origamibicycles.com/bikes/

Zizzo (as mentioned above) make quality, affordable bikes. And they're another company known for great customer service.
https://zizzo.bike/

Both are USA companies, so any issues are addressed quickly with both of these brands.
Old 04-27-20, 09:43 AM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Call to see what they have in their showroom. Also, a word of warning (I'll beat everyone to the punch), please, whatever you get, DON'T get a Tern folding bike. Their frames are still breaking today.
Thank you. And about the Tern! That would be disastrous! I could just imagine....sobbing uncontrollably amidst a pile of... scrap. Funny only in a cartoon or slapstick show.
Old 04-27-20, 09:59 AM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Linerbl, why do you prefer the Dahon? Is the Broadway classic the same as the Broadway S1? For 100 dollars more I could get a Dahon MU D9 of is that overkill for what I need? I want a comfortable reliable ride, portability and easy storage. Oh, forGot to mention that I have a few herniated discs... which is why I no longer run... so a smooth ride is imperative.
Old 04-27-20, 10:02 AM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Origami makes affordable folding bikes, and the pricing and customer service is top notch.

Zizzo (as mentioned above) make quality, affordable bikes. And they're another company known for great customer service.

Both are USA companies, so any issues are addressed quickly with both of these brands.
Thanks! That is very helpful!!
Likes For Total Newbie:
Old 04-27-20, 11:27 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Thanks! That is very helpful!!
I do want you to know that I have no vested interest in any brand I've mentioned. I do recommend Dahon as well, and they're an excellent brand. My reason for suggesting USA based companies right now is because of the world's current situation, as it's easier to get help with issues in our home country (HOPEFULLY). Otherwise, I'm all for purchasing bikes based in other locals. I'm dying to get a Java Fit, but because of the lack of finances due to the pandemic, plus the breaking of quite a few supply chains, I believe it's best for me, personally, to wait.

I will add that if you see a nice Dahon in a bike shop (quite a few carry the Boardwalk from what I've seen in NY) to try it out.

I also recommed Bellitte Bicycles in Jamaica, Queens. They're the oldest bike shop in the USA. Ask for Sal, and tell him Doug said to give a call. They have folders in stock, and can also get, and set up bikes for you. Bellitte Bicycles

Last edited by tds101; 04-27-20 at 11:37 AM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 04-27-20, 01:18 PM
linberl

Linerbl, why do you prefer the Dahon? Is the Broadway classic the same as the Broadway S1? For 100 dollars more I could get a Dahon MU D9 of is that overkill for what I need? I want a comfortable reliable ride, portability and easy storage. Oh, forGot to mention that I have a few herniated discs... which is why I no longer run... so a smooth ride is imperative.
The Dahon classic was already over your desired budget but the showroom model was a great deal. I have a Dahon Mu (single speed) and I absolutely love it. I removed the stupid seatpost with the pump inside and replaced it with a nice lightweight post and put shortie swept back bars on it. It weighs just under 21 lbs. It's not my main rider (that is my Bike Friday pakiT and under 19lbs) but I use it when I know I will have to lock up (lotsa bike theft and it was way less expensive than my BF) and to pull my Burley Travoy trailer when shopping (I sold my car). It's a pretty comfortable ride, it's an aluminum frame and imo the steel frame is a bit more forgiving so that's another plus for the Classic. But if the Dahon Mu 9 speed is in your budget, it would not be a bad choice at all! It's a very good bike.
I also have back issues, and the smart thing to do when you're going over big bumps/potholes you can see in advance (and even curb transitions) is to stand up on the pedals a little bit. Get your butt off the saddle and take the bump in the legs. For me, it's a old habit from mountain bike on rigid bikes, but it is a smart thing to do - it's good to stand and shift the muscles. You can get a thing called a "thud buster" to absorb shock at the seat if you find it a problem later on - works with just about any bike.
Likes For linberl:
Old 04-27-20, 03:06 PM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
The Dahon classic was already over your desired budget but the showroom model was a great deal. I have a Dahon Mu (single speed) and I absolutely love it. I removed the stupid seatpost with the pump inside and replaced it with a nice lightweight post and put shortie swept back bars on it. It weighs just under 21 lbs. It's not my main rider (that is my Bike Friday pakiT and under 19lbs) but I use it when I know I will have to lock up (lotsa bike theft and it was way less expensive than my BF) and to pull my Burley Travoy trailer when shopping (I sold my car). It's a pretty comfortable ride, it's an aluminum frame and imo the steel frame is a bit more forgiving so that's another plus for the Classic. But if the Dahon Mu 9 speed is in your budget, it would not be a bad choice at all! It's a very good bike.
I also have back issues, and the smart thing to do when you're going over big bumps/potholes you can see in advance (and even curb transitions) is to stand up on the pedals a little bit. Get your butt off the saddle and take the bump in the legs. For me, it's a old habit from mountain bike on rigid bikes, but it is a smart thing to do - it's good to stand and shift the muscles. You can get a thing called a "thud buster" to absorb shock at the seat if you find it a problem later on - works with just about any bike.
i love what you did with the handlebars. How does it effect the folding? Any particular make I should look for? Cost? I guess I should get a fender and rack too? Also, if I’m buying online do I need to get a certain size frame or as long as I’m in the size range should the bike work for my height? Fancy people posting are talking about inseams and bikes!!!
Old 04-27-20, 03:39 PM
linberl

i love what you did with the handlebars. How does it effect the folding? Any particular make I should look for? Cost? I guess I should get a fender and rack too? Also, if I’m buying online do I need to get a certain size frame or as long as I’m in the size range should the bike work for my height? Fancy people posting are talking about inseams and bikes!!!
I just cut down some Mary On One bars I had; I needed them narrow enough to get thru the toll booth at the Bart station and also I have a narrow shoulder width so stock bars are way too wide anyway. The local shop cut them for five bucks and polished the ends to remove burrs. I think these cost me around $20. There is a super lightweight rack that fits that Dahon Mu; thorusa sells it and if you buy the bike from him, he will probably install for you. Yes, in NY if you are gonna ride in winter you'll want fenders. Again, Thor can tell you what fits and works and install. Folders come one-size-fits-all with very rare exceptions (like Bike Friday). The only area you "might" have an issue with is the reach, as I said, but the aber hallo will allow you to get a bit more upright while reaching forward less if swept back bars aren't your thing. Here I go saying to talk to Thor about it, ha ha. He's a good guy and can set you up great so the bike is ready to ride. The older Mu 9 speed is a very good price now, too Dahon Mu D9. Here's a pic of my Dahon with my bars - when folding to catch the magnet, I just have to make sure I fully rotate the bars and it still fits. Ignore the stickers, they are there just to fool bike thieves lol. That's not the stock seat which is much more padded. And it doesn't come with the motor/battery system either.

Last edited by linberl; 04-27-20 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For linberl:
Old 04-27-20, 04:16 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Here's the ThorUSA website,...I highly recommend buying from them as well. ThorUSA Folding Bikes Dahon Tern GSD BYB MKS Pletscher Sapim Verge Link Speed Curl Curve
As for sizing, folding bikes are highly customizable, as linberl has mentioned.
Old 04-28-20, 02:08 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I'm a few days late to this party, but I figured I'd chime in.

You've posted your query under "folding bikes". I own a Swift (more commonly sold as "Xootr"). I like it and I recommend it, but maybe not (yet) for you.

You also mention you're a "newbie". Once upon a time, all of us were; no problem with that.

Considering your "newbie" status and that you live in Manhattan (you mention biking along the Hudson), as a first step, try sticking your toe in the water by checking out Citibike. Your only initial commitment can be a single ride ($3) or a one-day rental ($12). The downsides: even though you're not schlepping one of these things up to your apt., they're heavy. Even though the seat height is adjustable, I've heard from many folks that it's not "one size fits all". On the plus side, Citibikes are rock-solid-stable. This is under "folding bikes". Some folders can be ... squirrelly.

Yep, I own a Swift. I like it, and I recommend it, but with Citibike as an alternative, I rarely ride my own bike.
Likes For arbee:
Old 04-28-20, 07:34 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by arbee

You've posted your query under "folding bikes". I own a Swift (more commonly sold as "Xootr"). I like it and I recommend it, but maybe not (yet) for you.

You also mention you're a "newbie". Once upon a time, all of us were; no problem with that.

Considering your "newbie" status and that you live in Manhattan (you mention biking along the Hudson), as a first step, try sticking your toe in the water by checking out Citibike. Your only initial commitment can be a single ride ($3) or a one-day rental ($12). The downsides: even though you're not schlepping one of these things up to your apt., they're heavy. Even though the seat height is adjustable, I've heard from many folks that it's not "one size fits all". On the plus side, Citibikes are rock-solid-stable. This is under "folding bikes". Some folders can be ... squirrelly.

Yep, I own a Swift. I like it, and I recommend it, but with Citibike as an alternative, I rarely ride my own bike.
Just an FYI: I'm a former Xootr Swift owner, and it's the only bike I shed tears for. Now that that's out of the way,... I Don't recommend a Swift folder to ANYONE because they're no longer being sold by Xootr. There's alway the Peter option, but that's an expensive, custom endeavor. Otherwise, unless the OP gets lucky, there's no Swifts to be found. And the OP also is trying to spend not too much $$$ as well,...

As for citibike,...we're in the midst of a global pandemic. No way in **** would I recommend a bike share. The OP wants to OWN a FOLDER,...citibikes are non-folding rental TANKS.

PS: For the OP - there's a few excellent Dahon folders for sale on Craigslist. Maybe you should check 'em out,... https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...ik?query=dahon

Last edited by tds101; 04-28-20 at 07:45 PM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 04-28-20, 09:00 PM
linberl

Just an FYI: I'm a former Xootr Swift owner, and it's the only bike I shed tears for. Now that that's out of the way,... I Don't recommend a Swift folder to ANYONE because they're no longer being sold by Xootr. There's alway the Peter option, but that's an expensive, custom endeavor. Otherwise, unless the OP gets lucky, there's no Swifts to be found. And the OP also is trying to spend not too much $$$ as well,...

As for citibike,...we're in the midst of a global pandemic. No way in **** would I recommend a bike share. The OP wants to OWN a FOLDER,...citibikes are non-folding rental TANKS.

PS: For the OP - there's a few excellent Dahon folders for sale on Craigslist. Maybe you should check 'em out,... https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...ik?query=dahon
There is a guy on the Bike Friday Google Groups Yak thinking of selling a size small pocket companion. There is a Xootr swift on San Francisco Craigslist.
I agree about share bikes - using "share" anything right now is not real smart unless you come with tons of disinfecting wipes. And even under the best of circumstances, share bikes are good for the last mile or so, not for recreational or pleasure riding. They are very heavy, not terribly comfortable, and suffer from the weight when pedaling up any grade.
Old 04-28-20, 09:16 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by linberl
There is a guy on the Bike Friday Google Groups Yak thinking of selling a size small pocket companion. There is a Xootr swift on San Francisco Craigslist.
I agree about share bikes - using "share" anything right now is not real smart unless you come with tons of disinfecting wipes. And even under the best of circumstances, share bikes are good for the last mile or so, not for recreational or pleasure riding. They are very heavy, not terribly comfortable, and suffer from the weight when pedaling up any grade.
The pocket companion sounds nice. The Swift in San Francisco is out of the OP 's geographic local. If you have a link, and the OP is willing, it's an option. The bikes I listed are within easy masked travel range.
Old 04-29-20, 10:51 AM
termv

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Advice

I do want you to know that I have no vested interest in any brand I've mentioned. I do recommend Dahon as well, and they're an excellent brand. My reason for suggesting USA based companies right now is because of the world's current situation, as it's easier to get help with issues in our home country (HOPEFULLY). Otherwise, I'm all for purchasing bikes based in other locals. I'm dying to get a Java Fit, but because of the lack of finances due to the pandemic, plus the breaking of quite a few supply chains, I believe it's best for me, personally, to wait.

I will add that if you see a nice Dahon in a bike shop (quite a few carry the Boardwalk from what I've seen in NY) to try it out.

I also recommed Bellitte Bicycles in Jamaica, Queens. They're the oldest bike shop in the USA. Ask for Sal, and tell him Doug said to give a call. They have folders in stock, and can also get, and set up bikes for you. Bellitte Bicycles
I second BELLITTE BICYCLES, they and Thor are my top choices.

Please go and see BB, great selection!
Old 04-29-20, 11:38 AM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I used to bike the Boardwalk on Long Island and have rented in NYC. The city bikes are so big and heavy and clunky to ride I hate them. So I would rent from shops. The Swift isn’t being manufactured anymore and I think I’ll stick with a popular brand in case the bike needs work / parts down the line. I’ll also find a local shop that is the brands dealer.
I will be spending more than initially expected. Covid makes biking more appealing - even when subways are “cleared” why commute if you don’t have to? So I’m looking at the Mariner 8 and the MU D9. But still open for brand/model suggestion.
Old 04-29-20, 12:34 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I used to bike the Boardwalk on Long Island and have rented in NYC.
Ah-ha! You're not such total newbie after all!
The city bikes are so big and heavy and clunky to ride I hate them.
I'd suggested Citibikes as a cheap first step before committing to a purchase. Though I've accumulated thousands of Citibike rides (2 today) I understand — they're certainly not for everyone. (One unalloyed plus: used for utility in foul weather, which I do, I don't have to clean the bike as I would if it were my own.)
The Swift isn’t being manufactured anymore and I think I’ll stick with a popular brand in case the bike needs work / parts down the line.
No arm-twisting about Swift / Xootr, but one clarification is important: only the Swift / Xootr frame is unique. All the parts attached to the frame are generic. Unlike many other folders, there are no proprietary parts. When you need to replace something, any local bike store will be able to get you rolling again. It may not be precisely what you want, but you won't be stranded. I've toured a fair amount on my Swift and being able to rely on generic parts is a real sense of security.
Likes For arbee:
Old 04-29-20, 02:28 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Ah-ha! You're not such total newbie after all!

I'd suggested Citibikes as a cheap first step before committing to a purchase. Though I've accumulated thousands of Citibike rides (2 today) I understand — they're certainly not for everyone. (One unalloyed plus: used for utility in foul weather, which I do, I don't have to clean the bike as I would if it were my own.)

No arm-twisting about Swift / Xootr, but one clarification is important: only the Swift / Xootr frame is unique. All the parts attached to the frame are generic. Unlike many other folders, there are no proprietary parts. When you need to replace something, any local bike store will be able to get you rolling again. It may not be precisely what you want, but you won't be stranded. I've toured a fair amount on my Swift and being able to rely on generic parts is a real sense of security.
If you have a Xootr Swift for sale for the OP, then sell it. Otherwise, you're hawking a bike that's not available around our area. I live on Long Island, and if 1 came up, I'd share that info. The Swift is an excellent riding bike, crappy fold, but it rides like a full sized bike. But, no sellers out our way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.