Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help Choosing Hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help Choosing Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 06:17 PM
jep0726

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Help Choosing Hybrid

Hey Everyone.

I currently have a Trek 7.2 fx in 17.5 frame, It's ancient now and has had a good life but it's time for a new one.
I'm looking to replace it, I ride both groomed trails and paved roads. This will probably be my last bike purchase given the time in my life.
My rides are anywhere between 20-85km.

Since COVID 19 I do not have many options, I'm unable to shop in the store and it's been so long since I've bought a new bike.

My options are:
Trek Marlin 6
Giant Roam 2 or 3
Liv Rove 2 & 4

Is there one that stands out as a Do Not Buy. I'd like to eliminate what I can.
Also, I realize I may have to change the rubber on some of these.

PLEASE HELP
Old 05-05-20, 07:24 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
jep....welcome to the Forum!
I'm curious to know why you're looking at bikes with front suspension since your Trek 7.2 fx had none(?). If you've been fine without one you should reconsider buying another rigid. Save the weight, maintenance and potential failure of suspension (on lower end bikes).
I'm also wondering why you chose the Liv as it appears to be women specific vs the other 2.

It's unfortunate you can't test them.......
Old 05-05-20, 11:54 AM
jep0726

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedway2,Thanks for your reply.

My 7.2fx actually has a lock in front suspension. Over the years, the fork buckled during a fall and at the time it was easier to substitute a suspension fork than order a new one.

I'm not attached to the suspension, it spends more time being locked than unlocked.

Due to living in a small town with only two bike shops (one sells Giant & Liv, and the other Specialized & Trek & Norco), I'm limited to certain buying choices. I am a 5'9 female but prefer the male horizontal frame over the female diagonal. Apparently the Trek dealership has sold out and Trek is not able to send them any more bikes.

There is also the Giant Escape 2 Disc available without the suspension that I have been looking at.
SO maybe it's down to the Escape or the Roam....

The Escape is $559 and the Roam is $789.. The pricetag doesn't really matter right now.
I'm wondering should i buy the Escape and add suspension later if I wish, or just buy the Roam .

Thoughts?
Old 05-05-20, 02:14 PM
jep0726

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Escape 2 Disc is $559
and the Roam 2 Disc $789.
Old 05-05-20, 02:48 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jep0726
Hey Everyone.

I currently have a Trek 7.2 fx in 17.5 frame, It's ancient now and has had a good life but it's time for a new one.
I'm looking to replace it, I ride both groomed trails and paved roads. This will probably be my last bike purchase given the time in my life.
My rides are anywhere between 20-85km.

Since COVID 19 I do not have many options, I'm unable to shop in the store and it's been so long since I've bought a new bike.

My options are:
Trek Marlin 6
Giant Roam 2 or 3
Liv Rove 2 & 4

Is there one that stands out as a Do Not Buy. I'd like to eliminate what I can.
Also, I realize I may have to change the rubber on some of these.

PLEASE HELP
Honestly, I am also wondering why you would want to switch from the 7.2 FX. Just replace parts as they wear and you should be good. I am thinking none of the bikes you listed are all that much better than your old bike. Just a thought.
You didn't mention the year you bought the Trek, but the older FX 7.2s were actually pretty nice bikes, and had an aluminum frame with steel fork, and 3 x 8 drivetrain. It seems to me the Giant Roam 2 and 3 aren't that much better. I can't tell by the specs, but the drive train is either 3 x 8 or 3 x 9. I suppose the disc brakes are an upgrade, but IMO, not enough by itself to upgrade. If I were looking to upgrade, I would think 1 x 11 or 2 x 11 would be a clear upgrade over 3 x 8.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-05-20 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 08:25 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
jep...don't overlook the Norco line. You may be pleasantly surprised for what your money will get you.
I snubbed Norco's for many years. A LBS sold them exclusively. Last year I saw a Norco Indie3, in a pawn shop. It was used but minty condition at 1/2 price of new. The Norco replaced a 90's rigid Marin MTN bike which I enjoyed riding the asphalt with slicks. But it was time for something with modern ergos (disc brakes, 700c wheels, etc).
I didn't want the maintenance or potential for component failures so I went with the cable discs and no suspension. While the frame is aluminum the forks on the Indie3 are steel which I prefer to dampen some of the rough spots on the road.

Like what MRT2 suggested....why not just replace some stuff on your 7.2 FX until you can properly shop for one.....
Likes For Speedway2: