Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Old 06-26-20, 10:03 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
(There is some elegant fierce symmetry?)

BICYCLE - $250 (concord)

Posted 2020-06-26 15:32

"10 SPEED BICYCLE - 1976
SILVER - REGULATION SIZE - MILES GAUGE
BEAUTIFUL BICENTENNIAL BIKE - RARELY USED - MADE IN 1976
HASN'T BEEN RIDDEN SINCE - EXCELLENT CONDITION

bicycle frame material: other/unknown
bicycle type: other
brake type: caliper
condition: like new
electric assist: none
frame size: UNKNOWN
handlebar type: other/unknown
make / manufacturer: USA
model name / number: UNKNOWN
serial number: UNKNOWN
suspension: other/unknown
wheel size: 24 in"

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik...148923349.html
and such amazing shifter cable routing!
Likes For pierce:
Old 06-26-20, 10:19 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Ben,
That is about $0.20 in steel mixed scrap. I hope it goes there instead of into a trash can, but what do I know? Smiles, MH
Mad Honk, that may be an optimistic estimation...
Old 06-26-20, 10:30 PM
barnfind

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7937119754058/

The head tube has a Ross sticker on it; did they even make recumbents?
With the 'Git-R-Dun" on the top tube, my guess is its the product of a case of beer, an acetylene torch, and a couple of coat hangers.
Likes For barnfind:
Old 06-26-20, 10:34 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Lots of parts, better hurry while there are still some left.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bo...130620445.html

Some very rare parts in there somewhere...at least I think so...Be sure that you have had a tetanus shot before diving in.
...Rancho Cordova hasn't been the same since they shut down Mather Air Base. Then, when they closed Aerojet, the destruction was complete.
They did leave us a huge toxic plume of rocket fuel contaminated groundwater, slowly migrating underground to the American River, though.

That's probably what that parts pile has been soaking in.
Old 06-26-20, 10:37 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...Rancho Cordova hasn't been the same since they shut down Mather Air Base. Then, when they closed Aerojet, the destruction was complete.
They did leave us a huge toxic plume of rocket fuel contaminated groundwater, slowly migrating underground to the American River, though.

That's probably what that parts pile has been soaking in.
3alarmer,
You are right about that....seems like when the service economy left it created a massive vacuum for the city and surrounding cities, it's never been the same.
Ben
Old 06-26-20, 10:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by tricky
Wow. No brakes. And how was he planning on installing that disc brake on a non-disc fork?...
...brakes just slow you down. Nobody wants an electric bike that goes slower.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-26-20, 10:55 PM
barnfind

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
(There is some elegant fierce symmetry?)

BICYCLE - $250 (concord)

Posted 2020-06-26 15:32

"10 SPEED BICYCLE - 1976
SILVER - REGULATION SIZE - MILES GAUGE
BEAUTIFUL BICENTENNIAL BIKE - RARELY USED - MADE IN 1976
HASN'T BEEN RIDDEN SINCE - EXCELLENT CONDITION

bicycle frame material: other/unknown
bicycle type: other
brake type: caliper
condition: like new
electric assist: none
frame size: UNKNOWN
handlebar type: other/unknown
make / manufacturer: USA
model name / number: UNKNOWN
serial number: UNKNOWN
suspension: other/unknown
wheel size: 24 in"

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik...148923349.html
Bar tape on the frame and electrical tape on the bars?
And what is that bolted to the front caliper on top of the tire?

Those bars and fork remind me an old Rollfast Super Deluxe 10 speed I had years ago as a kid.
Old 06-27-20, 07:09 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts

So, holy grail? Or wishful thinking?

Large road racing bike - $1500 (Littleton)

This is a road bike I got on Craigslist a year ago I fixed it up then a while back some guy at a off trail coffee shop started looking at the bike and offered me $1200 saying that it was a Tour de France trainer bike. If this guy is correct I don’t know really anything about this bike I’m selling it because I don’t like reaching to the down tube to shift. If your interested shoot me an email.

Old 06-27-20, 08:32 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by kermie

This is a road bike I got on Craigslist a year ago I fixed it up then a while back some guy at a off trail coffee shop started looking at the bike and offered me $1200 saying that it was a Tour de France trainer bike. If this guy is correct I don’t know really anything about this bike I’m selling it because I don’t like reaching to the down tube to shift. If your interested shoot me an email.

That was a few days before this business with the aliens started . . .
Likes For Headpost:
Old 06-27-20, 08:56 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 184 Posts
Maybe I need to work harder on my Craigslist ads.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/b...149034796.html

Full text:

Two things:

1.) Never heard of a Stinsmen? Read on, dear friend, and you’ll be glad you did.
2.) This ad begins with a quiz.

What?? Why a quiz?

Because this bike is worthy of such a test. When an author writes a book in which he or she has considered the craft of writing and storytelling down to the sentence level, the book is sometimes referred to as “a writer’s book” – meaning that other writers and writerly types know enough to notice and enjoy the book's tiny hallmarks of good craftmanship. In that same way, a Stinsmen is a “bike person’s bike.” You gotta know your bike nerd stuff in order to appreciate this bike.

And also because this frame, as you will read, is all about heroics. So channel your inner Joseph Campbell hero, and overcome the challenge of this quiz. You owe it to the person for whom this frame was designed and built.

The quiz.
Please match these cycling statements with their source.

1. “Planing.”
2. “Most riders ride frames that are too small.”
3. “The bicycle should in essence disappear beneath you.”
4. “You’re buying my design choices... the material Is the least consequential choice.”

A. Jan Heine
B. Shimano design philosophy
C. Richard Sachs
D. Grant Petersen

If you respond to this ad, why not be a sport and include your answers in your response? (I think most people who would respond to this ad could probably figure out most of these using their own knowledge and not the Google. Even if you don’t want to buy the bike – respond! Maybe we’ll become friends!)

As a secondary set of statements to consider (and how the idea for the quiz developed in my imagination) – check out these statements:

“I’m looking for a vintage steel bike to toodle around on. Coffee shops and stuff.”
“This is for leisurely Sunday rides when it’s sunny.”
“I dunno. Maybe I’ll put some flat bars on it?”
“I want to feel what steel bikes can really do.”

Only the last statement will do justice to what this bike was built for.

And here’s why. It's about what this frameset offers. The angles and material come together _at speed_. Big ring speed. Dilly-dally around a parking lot and the front wheel wants to flop. But take it out, get your legs warmed up, then sizzle the chain into the 53 and the bike…settles in. At speed, the pedaling forces will give you the right degree of pedal-feel for your efforts: light but firm. The tubing ripples over the small rises and dips in the road the way that steel can. At the same time, the handling becomes neutral. The bike “sticks” to the ground. It all comes together as the bike cruises like a missile. At the speed in which most other bikes get vague in the front end, or at the very least not altogether trustworthy, this one is guided, grounded, as if it’s patiently but earnestly tracking something. Most likely a finish line.

It’s always taken me 45 minutes to warm up. During that time, I notice, say, the saddle, the temperature, local farmers in their fields. But once it’s go-time, and this bike gets on-cam, everything goes away as the world around me shrinks tighter and tighter into a fluid now-ness. Life is a narrow, focused center that this bike can hold for miles and miles. it invites everything to fade away. It’s an endorphin machine. It's its own energy source.

Got young kids, yardwork, housework, honey-do list, a spare tire you didn’t used to have? This bike will put the “warrior” back into your weekend efforts.

Most bike geometries nowadays are neutral, or just to one side of it, so that’s what most people know. This one isn’t in that spectrum. This is a bike for fast finishers. It keeps its head when everyone all around you is losing theirs.

Leave the downtube shifters on it. It’s part of this bike’s hubris. And you can go there on this bike. For one, it’s stable enough that anyone who’s never used them can step on that invisible bridge and realize that those internet message board warnings about crashing if you use DT shifters are poppycock.

(Get some core strength, people.)

Secondly, this bike’s personality is all about displaying such boldness. This is a macho, hard-driving, diesel-legged, coal-rolling rig. It unapologetically eats red meat. Its jeans are not purposely tight. It has veins in its brawny forearms. The entire bike is a clenched fist, if you want to ride it that way.

Do not put anything from Velo Orange on this bike.

Component-wise, it is purpose-built for winning. The bike was Campagnolo-equipped because Campy hubs were the benchmark for quality and their brakes were a declaration of serious intent. The shifting responsibilities were Dura-Ace because at that time, Shimano had the better shifting system.

It has a history its earned. In my imagination, the prior owner had this bike in college or grad school. He studied Geology. In the summers of those years, before his dissertation research took him farther west, he rode this bike from the Lehigh Valley to somewhere near Madison, WI, while wearing cut-off shorts and a denim shirt with sleeves rolled up. His spartan possessions he carried in a canvas backpack, and he tied a bedroll across the handlebar. The trip brought him into the wind for days at a time and he rode in the drops the whole way. He was built for such efforts, both in genetics and nurturing.

Once in Wisconsin, he worked as a high-current-service-lineman. He’d gotten the job with help from his father’s only war buddy, a guy named Buck, whose life his father had saved during a firefight with Viet Kong regulars in the dawning hours of a muggy June morning.

The chips on the bike’s top tube are from the stainless steel roll-buckle of his tool belt, because that’s how he’d carried it on that long ride each way. The belt would swing like a metronome until he got strong and fluid and then the belt hung still. That’s when he knew he was getting race-fit.

He rode out there for that dangerous work because it paid exceptionally well. That made school each following autumn possible. He was also there because it put him close to Superweek events -- the festival of national-level competitive cycling. There, he’d compete with chiseled limbs, an acrobat’s physique, a sponsorless jersey, no team mates, and probably a mustache.

Everyone at Superweek came to know who he was. Before and after the races, they’d approach then pass him in their cars as he cruised along the shoulder. To them, He was The Guy Who Rode To The Race, Raced, Then Rode Home Again. Always in the drops. Always smooth. Always a good wheel to follow.

They had no idea how far from home he really was.

And now the Stinsmen is back home. Like Odysseus - the BOSS.

About the builder: John Stinsmen was a framebuilder in the Lehigh Valley area some years ago before he began designing race car chassis. He was known for his high quality, careful work and innovative thinking in designing both road frames and track frames. About those frames, there are at least two matters that are worthy of recognition: #1 - he built frames for American Olympians for the 1988 Olympics. This is of that period. After I bought this bike, I called John in order to learn more about the frameset. There are no tubing decals but John said it is Japanese (i.e. Tange or Ishiwata), because that’s who was sending him tubesets to build with at that time. They wanted representation in the Olympics.

#2 - he developed the aerodynamically-focused “funny bike” design, which soon everyone – and I mean EVERYONE – (think Indurain’s Pinarello) made a version of (remember those? Illegal now in the eyes of the UCI!) They came from the thoughts and intellect of John – the man who designed this frame.
Historically, to a bike nerd like me, this is a really, really, really neat bike. I think John is an unsung hero of American framebuilding and this frame exhibits his calculated approach to the physics and forces at play in competitive cycling.

The frame is storied with cycling-related chips but it is not damaged. I rode it for much of last summer and it behaves exactly like I have written that it does. (The Wisconsin stuff, well, I just ran with that.)

I’m reluctant to sell it, but if the ad is up the bike is available. This is an in-person pick-up situation, only.

NO offense meant with the quiz! I thought like-minded cyclists would enjoy knowing that there are others out there who speak their dialect of esoterica.

If I wind up keeping it, maybe I’ll ride it at the next Bicycling Magazine’s Fall Fest. Come say hi!
Likes For Headpost:
Old 06-27-20, 01:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...I have taken the liberty of bolding all the phrases that classically alert one to a CL lunatic.
I, for one, certainly wish he had taken the $1200. Now the rest of us have to listen to his seller's remorse.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-27-20, 01:59 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
Maybe I need to work harder on my Craigslist ads.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/b...149034796.html

*SNIP*
This poor soul has obviously suffered through a long and lonesome period of self-quarantine.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 06-27-20, 02:02 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts

well, thats a 70s vintage Campi hub, and the frame appears to be very short wheelbase, like a criterium style, but it would have been nice to have shown a bit more, like the derailleurs, brakes, and more details on the frame. kinda hard to tell, but in the full bike picture, I see a red label on the front rim, which might be a SuperChampion red (thats what I used on my mid 70s vintage touring bike when I dumped sewups and went to 700c clinchers).
Likes For pierce:
Old 06-27-20, 05:01 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Pawn Shop 101

​​​​​​
ReplySure is 298 white st Danbury Connecticut

New message from: friendlypawnshop (257)

Hi, can I do a local pick-up for the bike? Thanks, EricYour previous message

MOTOBECANE GRAND TOURING BIKE MADE IN FRANCE GOLD COLOR

Buy it now Price: $110.00 Buy it now Watchers: 10
Quantity Remaining: 1

Probably want to charge a pick-up fee too.... That's why I didn't click immediately... I figured they would say "You can pick it up but you still have to pay the handling' part of the fees..."

Would you trust a place with the name

Friendly Pawn Shop?
Old 06-27-20, 06:14 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Bad dog!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114279474371

NOT "tool leather" option

The neighbors dog got the package first... only $100!
Old 06-27-20, 06:22 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
I'm sure some C&V audiophile here would like this, but what bike would you mount it on?

https://madison.craigslist.org/bop/d...149636468.html

Mixing console - $75 (Madison)

Old 06-27-20, 10:18 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
This poor soul has obviously suffered through a long and lonesome period of self-quarantine.
Me Too!
Old 06-28-20, 07:14 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
B t, d t...

Some very rare parts in there somewhere...at least I think so...Be sure that you have had a tetanus shot before diving in.
Unfortunately, I’ve been there, done that...I had a large tote of mid range, mid ‘70’s parts...somewhere along the line the top split enough to let the weather get in...and Boom!...that’s what you get...bike parts soup!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 06-28-20, 07:15 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
B t, d t...

Unfortunately, I’ve been there, done that...I had a large tote of mid range, mid ‘70’s parts...somewhere along the line the top split enough to let the weather get in...and Boom!...that’s what you get...bike parts soup!
Old 06-29-20, 10:04 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114279474371

NOT "tool leather" option

The neighbors dog got the package first... only $100!
Mine has scrape damage almost that bad from falling off my rack onto the freeway (I also have bent rails), so this one is probably 100% functional.

Nice writeup, good to see a non-contentious relationship between neighbors, and that the dog-neighbor took responsibility for their dog.

However $95 seems too close to MSRP to charge for that much cosmetic damage (plus shipping!). I'd start the bidding at like $50 and see where it goes.

But hey, if somebody buys it at that price, then I'm wrong, it's not priced too high!
Old 06-29-20, 10:41 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Seller could market the dog-damaged saddle with a story -- "That dog was so fast, and HUGE, and going RIGHT for my....."
Old 06-29-20, 11:54 AM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
This was wacky in a good way. I brought him a 12-pack of Fat Tire ale, we drank a few on his porch - talked about bikes, covid, and life. I left with two pairs of almost new Compass/Herse tires. One of the most satisfying Craigslist transactions yet.

Figures it was another Bike Forum member who got these. I asked about them, but you'd already gotten them. He had a 27" Stay-True aluminum wheelset he'd advertised with a similar ad, and I brought a 6-pack of mixed IPAs and a little extra cash. Still a smoking deal and it was really nice to sit and chat for a while. He showed me his 3TTT gravel bike with whatever SRAM's version of Di-2 is, and I showed him pictures of the Super Course I'm fixing up that these wheels will go on.

jeirvine if you ever decide one or more of those sets are surplus to your needs, hit me up!
Old 06-29-20, 12:19 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by rocks in head
Figures it was another Bike Forum member who got these. I asked about them, but you'd already gotten them. He had a 27" Stay-True aluminum wheelset he'd advertised with a similar ad, and I brought a 6-pack of mixed IPAs and a little extra cash. Still a smoking deal and it was really nice to sit and chat for a while. He showed me his 3TTT gravel bike with whatever SRAM's version of Di-2 is, and I showed him pictures of the Super Course I'm fixing up that these wheels will go on.

jeirvine if you ever decide one or more of those sets are surplus to your needs, hit me up!
Will do. He had some Vittorias too that I spaced on even asking him about. Maybe we can ride sometime. It's always interesting to meet forum members in real life.
Old 06-29-20, 12:30 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
He's still got a bunch of ads up: search Fat Tire Beer on Washington DC bike parts
Old 06-29-20, 12:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by rocks in head
He's still got a bunch of ads up: search Fat Tire Beer on Washington DC bike parts
Linky

Dang, I would love to swap some fat tire or homebrew for that truing stand and some chatting. If only I lived in the area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.