Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Indexed Bar End Shifter Compatability

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 08:18 PM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts

I have a touring bike with butterfly bars and those plastic twisty shifters shifting a 3x9 with a Deore RD. I didn’t get along with the butterfly bars so I’m converting to a drop bar. I already have long pull drop bar brake levers to match up with the mechanical disk brakes but I want to buy indexed bar end shifters that are compatible with my RD. Are there indexing compatibility issues that I should be aware of when I buy? Can you recommend an indexed bar end shifter that I should consider? My budget is $100.

BTW I couldn’t find a hand position on the butterfly bars that was nearly as comfortable as on drop bar brake lever hoods.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-20, 08:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Yes the shifter compatibility with your drive system is important. Most bar end levers have a friction front/LH lever so that aspect is moot WRT the front der and crank. The rear lever will need to be of the same cog count and der cable pull ratio, of course if you go with friction (like the wonderful SunTour ratcheting bar cons) on the RH side the compatibility issues go away for the most point. Andy
Old 07-15-20, 09:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
You need 9-speed bar-end shifters:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...5&category=162
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...5&category=162

9-speed was Shimano's "sweet spot". All the shift levers worked with all the rear derailleurs.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 07-15-20, 09:53 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
FWIW there are 2 models of MicroShift 9 Speed bar end shifters, one with the RD shifter indexed only, and the other (usually more expensive) is switchable between indexed and non indexed (non indexed is handy if your RD gets banged out of whack).

The FD shifter is non indexed on both models, and as mentioned both models should work on any Shimano 3x9 drivetrain.
Old 07-15-20, 10:38 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Hmmm... Dura Ace shifters for $90 vs Microshift for $81.

Is there really anyone on the planet who wouldn’t spend the extra 9 bucks to get Shimano’s top of the line model?

John
Old 07-16-20, 07:46 AM
Sjtaylor

I have a pair of those Sun Tour ratchet shifters but I’d like to be able to index the RD. I’m fine with a non indexed front derailleur. A brifter index shifting a triple chain ring is a frequent problem on two of my bikes so I’m glad to use something else.
Old 07-16-20, 07:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

Is there really anyone on the planet who wouldn’t spend the extra 9 bucks to get Shimano’s top of the line model?
Apparently so, the Microshift is still for sale (and I think Salsa specs them on some of its bikes, but I assume they get OEM pricing).

Slightly more seriously, I bought new Shimano and got a Microshift spare some 5 years ago. A rambunctious great ape, I mean baggage handler, somehow popped the case over a Dura Ace barend hard enough to crack the shifter. I figured if it happened again I'd put the Microshift lever on, but I'd give Shimano one more try.
Old 07-16-20, 07:59 AM
Sjtaylor

I just ordered those Shimano bar end shifters. I still need a cozy high rise stem to get the reach higher and closer. It seems that when I get a frame sized for my 6’3” height I need to adjust the reach to make it comfortable.
Old 07-16-20, 09:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

John
In reality The 9 speed right is called D-A by Shimano. the 8 speed was called Ultegra,

other than that detent number and spacing the 'quality' was the same..

Old 07-16-20, 06:19 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
In reality The 9 speed right is called D-A by Shimano. the 8 speed was called Ultegra,

other than that detent number and spacing the 'quality' was the same..

Thanks! That is something I did not know.

Does that apply to 8 speed Ultegra downtube shifters as far as quality?

I know the cable pull for Dura Ace 8 speed is different. The Ultegra 8 speed left downtube shifter is spring loaded, just like Dura Ace, to offset the front derailleur spring. Makes for a very nice shifting feel.

John
Old 07-17-20, 09:30 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Thanks! That is something I did not know.

Does that apply to 8 speed Ultegra downtube shifters as far as quality?

I know the cable pull for Dura Ace 8 speed is different. The Ultegra 8 speed left downtube shifter is spring loaded, just like Dura Ace, to offset the front derailleur spring. Makes for a very nice shifting feel.

John
There were different bar-end shifters for "Dura-Ace" 8-speed and "everything else" 8-speed. Aside from cable pull they were identical.

Old 07-18-20, 07:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
There were different bar-end shifters for "Dura-Ace" 8-speed and "everything else" 8-speed. Aside from cable pull they were identical.

YES! The first gen DA indexing (and not meaning the AX stuff) had it's own cable pull ratios, When 600 was introduced a year+ later with indexing it, and all the following rear ders till recently, Shimano rear indexing ders were based on a different ratio. Andy
Old 07-19-20, 01:09 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
YES! The first gen DA indexing (and not meaning the AX stuff) had it's own cable pull ratios, When 600 was introduced a year+ later with indexing it, and all the following rear ders till recently, Shimano rear indexing ders were based on a different ratio. Andy
And I remember that there were different bar-end shifters for "Dura-Ace" 7-speed and "everything else" 7-speed. The "everything else" 7-speed bar-ends came with a tiny plastic shim that increased the cable pull and allowed them to work with 6-speed freewheels/cassettes. I'm not sure if this shim came with "Dura-Ace" 7-speed.