Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 08-06-20, 12:04 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
When I ordered my set--the NA distributor was in Canada, as was their pay processor address....so my banking institution charged an international billing fee.
On their web site, the map for the North American distributor is A.bbotsford, Canada, Canada, so I stand corrected... no USA distributor that I'm aware of.
Old 08-06-20, 12:45 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Thanks for the info. I asked LB yesterday what their shipping times are from China currently.

This is the response

"Due to Covid-19 situation, there are few flights. So, we have below two deliveries for your reference.
DHL/Fedex: USD250 for one wheelset , 7~10 days roughly for delivery.
EMS plus delivery: around USD114 for one wheelset, around 12~15 days roughly for delivery.
Standard delivery: USD35 for one wheelset, 20~25 days roughly for delivery.It is a multimodal transport emergency lane, tax included."

Good to know that we are able to avoid the stupid tRump tariff.
Fedex was 5 days to Minneapolis (shipped 7/31, arrived 8/5), and no tariffs.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-06-20, 01:24 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
On their web site, the map for the North American distributor is A.bbotsford, Canada, Canada, so I stand corrected... no USA distributor that I'm aware of.
the phone # is a 253 area code, but I had heard previously the warehouse was in Canada.
Old 08-06-20, 01:26 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
When I ordered my set--the NA distributor was in Canada, as was their pay processor address....so my banking institution charged an international billing fee.
How much was that?
Old 08-06-20, 02:38 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
How much was that?
They took Paypal...and I cannot remember if I did funds transfer or VISA; but it was like 5% the sale price. It showed up on my statement as 'ISC (BLAH BLAH BLAH" I think...I thought it was fraud and called my bank, they explained that it was a normal international surcharge, due to the billing address being across international borders. The bank also said that if I had used the other method of payment I'd not have been charged.

I cannot remember how I billed it to my PayPal, I think I put it on my VISA 'just in case'; hence the charge....whereas a funds transfer wouldn't have been dinged. Ask your bank or Light Bicycle to be sure.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 08-07-20, 11:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
This is an old post, I know. I tried the LB pads, but had much better performance with the Swisstop Black Prince pads. Except of course, in the rain. Carbon wheels, rim breaks, and rain are a lousy combination, no matter what.

My new wheels are for a disk break bike. Yeah....
Over on another forum, there's evidently a lot of love (they're made for both Shimano or Campy holders btw) for the Campy red pads for carbon wheels. ymmv. Not a lot about them from the BF crowd though.
Old 08-07-20, 08:51 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
the phone # is a 253 area code, but I had heard previously the warehouse was in Canada.
The NA warehouse is Nobl wheels in Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Old 08-12-20, 09:41 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got a set of 56mm disc wheels over a year ago, and love them. Now looking at some rim brake sets in 46mm.

What is the experience generally with the braking track? Is the graphene thingie worth the extra 30 dollars?
Old 08-12-20, 10:10 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao

What is the experience generally with the braking track? Is the graphene thingie worth the extra 30 dollars?
Unfortunately, you won’t find many people who have experience with both the smooth track and the graphene track.

I have the graphene track and have done some crazy descending in absolute downpours. If you search the thread you’ll see my impressions. But basically, with Black Prince pads, it’s workable in the wet, which is more than can be said about some other brake tracks. My buddy has Farsports with a super slick brake track. He can ride uphill with the brakes on in the wet. He also descends like a demon - out of necessity.

The main downside with the grooves is that is SHREDS the pads if you press hard and in the wet, it feels a lot like nothing-nothing-GRAB, which can be scary if you don’t have a lot of grip to work with. Kiss any semblance of fine modulation goodbye.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 08-12-20, 11:20 PM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by smashndash
Unfortunately, you won’t find many people who have experience with both the smooth track and the graphene track.

I have the graphene track and have done some crazy descending in absolute downpours. If you search the thread you’ll see my impressions. But basically, with Black Prince pads, it’s workable in the wet, which is more than can be said about some other brake tracks. My buddy has Farsports with a super slick brake track. He can ride uphill with the brakes on in the wet. He also descends like a demon - out of necessity.

The main downside with the grooves is that is SHREDS the pads if you press hard and in the wet, it feels a lot like nothing-nothing-GRAB, which can be scary if you don’t have a lot of grip to work with. Kiss any semblance of fine modulation goodbye.
Thanks. Will search the thread. Black Prince? Never heard of them. Will search. Did you not order pads from LB?
Old 08-12-20, 11:22 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Thanks. Will search the thread. Black Prince? Never heard of them. Will search. Did you not order pads from LB?
No pads from LB but some people seem to like them. Swisstop Black Prince are pricey but popular pads. They are quite soft. It’s pretty much a necessary tradeoff to get solid bite.
Old 08-12-20, 11:36 PM
deepakvrao

Are these the pads that most of you guys recommend/use? And, these would be better than what LB provide?

https://www.bike24.com/p28897.html?q=swissstop%20carbon

Last edited by deepakvrao; 08-12-20 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 06:00 AM
deepakvrao

Deleted

Last edited by deepakvrao; 08-13-20 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-13-20, 08:02 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by Ericoschmitt
My set of 56mm rim brakes have some 3000km now, been ridden in hills a lot, braking tracks look almost like new, just slightly "polished/brighter".

When the are very hot they can do squeak/whistle if you brake hard/long, but will work fine. The limiting factor is still not braking harder cuz I'd fly over the bars, so they brake better than I can actually use.

The brake pads are the ones that came with it, LB blue pads. No sign of wear, they just look a bit "dirty", darker blue where it touches the rim.

I use mtb rim tape by SunRingle (what lbs had) 21mm wide (I would have tried wider but lbs had 21mm only so whatever), with 25mm GP5k tubeless tire, zero sealant. Hard to fit but doable with plastic levers. They measure 29mm wide inflated.

Bitex hubs are going strong.

Thats it guys, just buy those babies, they are great. Fast light strong cheap and beautiful, plus crosswinds aren't a concern eventhough I'm light. I only use those now full time, the old Zipps are gone, climbing wheels are gone, 32spoke training wheels are gone. What else could I want?
I know it's an old post, but what calipers with those 30mm wide rims? I just checked and neither SRAM nor Shimano go beyond 28?

Edit: I saw you answered that a few posts on.

I have the 56 in disc versions, and now want to buy in rim versions. 30mm will not fit my [current Sram - going to r8000] calipers. Would you suggest I go with the 46 deep 28mm wide, or the 55 deep 25mm wide?
Old 08-13-20, 08:11 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Wheels are done.

-Tim-
That is 3k weave right?

Edit: Sorry, saw your next post.
Old 08-13-20, 08:48 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by smashndash
Don’t worry about that too much unless you’re doing a TT or something. The difference in drag between a 25mm tire and a 28mm tire will be a couple watts at 30mph on the 56 or even 46 rim, assuming you go for a narrower 28 like the GP5k or Schwalbe Pro One Addix. Even a Vittoria Corsa 28 will be fine. If you want a 28mm tire, get a 28mm tire.

That being said, if you have rim brakes, that might be tough. The new gen Shimano brakes have (almost) no trouble fitting the 56 rims (the brake pads will initially be at an angle), and definitely no issues with the 46 rims. A narrower 28 on the 46 will be doable, a narrower 28 on the 56 will be cutting it close and a fatter 28 on the 56 will probably be too much, depending on how your brake is mounted.

What bike do you have? What is the stated tire clearance for it? Usually rears have more clearance so you could go for a 25/28 combo, which is the best of both worlds.
Will SRAM Rival brake calipers work with the 46's 28mm rim?
Old 08-13-20, 09:00 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Overall context is important also though.. basically LB offers Pillar aero spokes vs CXRays.. The cost difference is $35 for a 20/24 wheelset, which in turn is somewhere in the neighborhood of adding 5% to an overall wheelset price. Some of the language that these are only for those where money is no object or 4-5x the cost etc. is a bit strong IMO.

Are the Pillar aero decent?
Old 08-13-20, 09:23 AM
noodle soup

Are the Pillar aero decent?
Yes.

I’ve built several wheelsets using them instead of CX-Ray spokes, and haven’t seen any issues yet.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-13-20, 09:38 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Arrived this week..

Is that matt or glossy?
Old 08-13-20, 09:45 AM
deepakvrao

Just finished reading thru [again] this entire thread.

So, a few questions. Getting a couple of wheelsets for wife's and my old rim brake bikes. They have Rival calipers, but looking to upgrade to Di2 with r8000 calipers. Though, as that will happen only when travel opens, I need wheels that will work with current calipers too.

I think 28s should work. 30mm will not. So, first question, should I go with the 28mm 46 depth, or the 25mm 55 depth[ the older rims I think?].

Second, our forks look like this. I think it's matt 3k weave? I was originally thinking of UD, like I got for my earlier 56mm wheelset, but now wondering if matt 3k would go better? Thoughts?

Old 08-13-20, 09:47 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Is that matt or glossy?
Good question... I don't know. When you go through LB's global wheel builder for the WR50's, the only Finish option you get is "paintless" and for Weave you get "UD" or "3k Twill Vertical". I don't think the 3K Twill is "paintless" as I've seen pictures of other's wheels that are truly paintless with the UD weave and the finish looks very different.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 08-14-20, 07:37 AM
Ericoschmitt

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know it's an old post, but what calipers with those 30mm wide rims? I just checked and neither SRAM nor Shimano go beyond 28?

I have the 56 in disc versions, and now want to buy in rim versions. 30mm will not fit my [current Sram - going to r8000] calipers. Would you suggest I go with the 46 deep 28mm wide, or the 55 deep 25mm wide?
I have the non series Campagnolo Skeleton, cost me $45~ back in 2017. I think any of the skeletons will open the same. I read dura aces will open too, so any shimano should. Specs dont match reality, brakes always open more than stated. As long as you can make the pads touch the rim without any angle its good.

As for rim choice, I got these based on Hambini's wind tunnel test (plus good reviews). I know the older 55 dont follow a similar profile and dont look as aero. The 46x28 look the same proportion, so between those two I'd get the 46.

Just remember that for a rim to be actually aero the tire has to be at the very least 5% narrower than the brake track when inflated. Better if 10%~. So on the 48x28 you install a 23mm and it will widen to 25~26 (the inner width is 21mm if I remember right). I know my gp25mm measure 29mm on and they are already a bit too wide for the 56s (that actually measure 30.4 if I remember right). Plus those 46 and 56 have inner bead hooks good for tubeless. This is more important to the front tire.

​​​​​​The inner width on the 55x25 rim is probably 17 so a 23mm tire should measure actually 23, but in case they are too wide you will be locked to old 22mm Conti Attacks. I wouldnt get those. 46 or 56.
​​​​
Likes For Ericoschmitt:
Old 08-14-20, 07:38 AM
Ericoschmitt

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have the non series Campagnolo Skeleton, cost me $45~ back in 2017. I think any of the skeletons will open the same. I read dura aces will open too, so any shimano should. Specs dont match reality, brakes always open more than stated. As long as you can make the pads touch the rim without any angle its good.

As for rim choice, I got these based on Hambini's wind tunnel test (plus good reviews). I know the older 55 dont follow a similar profile and dont look as aero. The 46x28 look the same proportion, so between those two I'd get the 46.

Just remember that for a rim to be actually aero the tire has to be at the very least 5% narrower than the brake track when inflated. Better if 10%~. So on the 48x28 you install a 23mm and it will widen to 25~26 (the inner width is 21mm if I remember right). I know my gp25mm measure 29mm on and they are already a bit too wide for the 56s (that actually measure 30.4 if I remember right). Plus those 46 and 56 have inner bead hooks good for tubeless. This is more important to the front tire.

​​​​​​The inner width on the 55x25 rim is probably 17 so a 23mm tire should measure actually 23, but in case they are too wide you will be locked to old 22mm Conti Attacks. I wouldnt get those. 46 or 56.
​​​​
Likes For Ericoschmitt:
Old 08-15-20, 08:45 AM
deepakvrao

Thanks Ericoschmitt

Guys,

Between the Bitex RAR9 and the Novatec F482sb-sl, which would you choose? I am sure that the Bitex can be converted to SRAM 12s, but not sure about the Novatec. I see XRD freehubs for the Novatec on Aliexpress, but not on the Novatec site. Bitex shows the XDR freehub on the RAR9 page itself.

EDIT. Novatec also is xdr comaptible

https://bdopcycling.com/product/f482sb-11/

Last edited by deepakvrao; 08-15-20 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-15-20, 09:44 AM
deepakvrao

So, Graphene track or regular? On WW some guys are saying that dry braking is actually better with regular tracks, and I rarely ride in rain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.