Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a little schooling on sidepull brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 09:10 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts

My 84 Team Fuji has Diacomp sidepull brakes and I've noticed if I adjust the cable so the
pad is fairly close to the wheel after I apply the brakes the caliper on the side of the cable
doesn't retract and drags. If I adjust the pad out a little further I don't have that problem
I just have to squeeze the levers a little further to brake.Is this normal or not?
Old 08-17-20, 09:30 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 378 Posts
This was normal for sidepull brakes back in the day. After you have everything tightened down, you'll need to recenter the brake by turning the center bolt toward the pad that's contacting the rim. There's a couple ways to do this:
1. Use a Park Tool OBW-3 to grip the brake spring and turn the assembly.
2. Put a wrench on the nut on the front and behind the caliper. Turn both nuts simultaneously to turn the center bol.
3. Using a flat-faced punch, tap the spring on one side or the other to recenter the brake.

Have fun and welcome to old-school bike mechanicing.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-18-20, 02:20 PM
eddy m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
Side pull calipers never center perfectly. The spring binds a little on the caliper arms and causes some friction. Any difference in friction between the sides will cause one or the other arm to retract a little less. You need to adjust the pads a little further from the rim to account for that, and you need to readjust them more frequently than dual pivot calipers. On the plus side, single pivot sidepulls are easier to adjust than other types of calipers.

em
Old 08-18-20, 02:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ive found the now old Campagnolo side pulls have a fairly stiff return spring and Tullo's Hardened toothed washer bites into the frame/fork and back of the brake to stay pretty well centered..

Old 08-18-20, 02:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - Centering side-pull brakes
Old 08-18-20, 03:15 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I have those diacomps on an old giant road bike and I found that adjusting the pads so they're really close and then simply using a 7/16" open end wrench on the forward nut to center the whole thing works really well. This usually has to be done once every season but takes less than a minute. You have to compensate occasionally for the pad wear anyhow.
Old 08-18-20, 04:48 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Before anything else, make sure the brakes are lubricated, including where the springs push against the arms. On the other hand, if the bike is generally worth upgrading, a pair of Tektro dual pivots might be in store.