Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

purchasing a "spare" for your +1

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 08:04 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts

howdy
Last spring I broke a Rockhopper I used for commuting (when I went into work...) / overnight bike camping /longer tours / coffee shop rides / crap-weather riding.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21392960
The frame cracked around the bottom bracket and spread like a cancer up the down tube while I was out enjoying a short evening ride. A friend gifted me a same size different paint Rockhopper frameset that I am riding now. Just moved all the parts over. A small bit of rust here & there and a little too much rust at the chainstay bridge, but I'm not calling the dentist to inspect a gift horse, so to speak. The replacement frame seems great and I just beat the crap out of it riding loaded on single track as part of a 400 mile vacation trek.

For the 2019 Clunker Challenge I scored a lugged Bianchi for like $60. Low end components but double butted tubing, and lugs! (it only accepts a 26in x 2.0 tire, the Rockhopper accepts a 2.3inch.)
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21018685
-- I have 2 bikes that are nearly the same! The Bianchi is lightened up for trail riding (and teeth rattling). The Rockhopper fendered and racked for utility.

Finally a question: If someone local to you were selling a StumpJumper (complete) for less than $300, would you get it as a "spare" to your slightly rusty Rockhopper?
It's an '86 Stumpjumper, not lugged, not the cool bi-plane fork.
(If it were lugged with the bi-plane fork I would not even have cleared it with my wife, I'd get it.... let alone ask your folks opinion....)
Think of this question from more of the philosophical standpoint, not specific to the bikes. Insert your bike type / brand if that helps.

OK. Long and rambling for a simple question.
Like the folk singer says: "Last night I dreamt I bought a bicycle just like mine; what is it about people never feeling satisfied....? "
Old 08-17-20, 08:20 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
If you admire the ride quality that the Rockhopper gives you and can afford to buy a potential back-up now then I’d say do it. I use to ride a Rockhopper as my around-towner until I moved to a slightly larger, better fitting GT Karakoram. I really enjoyed the Rockhopper it was just not as appealing to myself as the GT. Have you considered any of the other Specialized offerings? Stump jumper, street stomper, and rock combo may be up your alley. Different geometries supply a wide variety of ride quality. However, they will be a lot tougher to find.
Old 08-17-20, 08:49 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Have you considered any of the other Specialized offerings? Stump jumper, street stomper, and rock combo may be up your alley. Different geometries supply a wide variety of ride quality. However, they will be a lot tougher to find.
I'm quite super-keen to get a Rivindell Atlantis. Lugged. 700C wheel size. I believe the latest edition will allow 700c X 58mm tire (2.3inch).
The price hurdle is quite tall for me: $1500 or $1600 framset? Maybe $3k for a new bike complete? My wonderful wife let me get a new GUNNAR Crosshairs last year. Not sure how bring up a $3k bike for next year.
It make a $300 "close enough!" spare seem pretty appealing. And this $300 Stumpjumper "should" be a better frameset than the Rockhopper.
I'm uncertain if the only difference between the Stumpjumper and Rockhopper from the late 80s is parts, or are the Stumpjumper frames actually a better steel. Both are TIG welded. I need to investigate quickly! I think.
Old 08-17-20, 08:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
$300 for an '86 Stumpjumper was big money pre Covid but vintage mountain bikes have become scarce and prices have gone up. I have a late 80s and an early 90s stumpjumper. The early 90s is a little nicer in terms of tubing because the main triangle is prestige. Plus the Shimano MTB parts became a little better and they got rid of the u brake.

Looks like the '86 may have come with lugs, prestige tubing, and a u brake:
1986 Specialized Stumpjumper - Vintage Mountain Bike Workshop

One thing about older Stumpies is that they are a bit long by modern standards. The design became "racier" by the 90s.
Old 08-17-20, 08:57 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Every time a car gives me the choice of their bumper or ditch, my first thought is” I better find another Schwinn Madison frame as a back up in case something happens to this one!

In that instance I get the sameness +1
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 08-19-20, 05:53 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I have trouble not rationalizing reasons for +1. 17 reasons just became 18.

My newest (reason): I want to make @jamesdak proud.
Old 08-19-20, 06:07 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Do it.
Old 08-19-20, 07:18 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I have a backup Batavus Randonneur GL waiting. It is actually a better quality frame without the holes that were drilled for the frame lock and the removed kickstand plate.
It will have to be a project for the next few years when I plan to swap over all the parts and perhaps upgrade some parts. Not necessary at the moment though.

Last edited by JaccoW; 08-19-20 at 01:53 PM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 08-19-20, 07:42 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Around 9 years ago or so I got my Trek 620. Pretty much my super awesome dominant bike. While I was totally enthralled with the bike- I was also totally captivated by the idea of the Trek 720... With everything I’d read about the 720, people’s descriptions and my concept of 531- I thought as fancy and as magically as my bike rode- the 720 would be more fancifuller and magicaller.

When I got the 720, I understood the 1985 620 and 720 are kind of a variation on the same principle- they’re still very different bikes- so I don’t look at either as a “backup” for the other.

Did I know that, or was I going into it like that? I don’t think so- I just wanted to keep trying as many bikes in that particular... idiom.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-19-20, 07:43 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I have trouble not rationalizing reasons for +1. 17 reasons just became 18.

My newest (reason): I want to make @jamesdak proud.
RobbieTunes Always glad to be an inspiration. 29 reasons......just became 30.

Still have to finish putting it together. Oh and the Duell is next in the hopper. Just sorting out the fit before the build.
Old 08-19-20, 09:27 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,692 Times in 2,611 Posts
I owned a 2005 Rivendell Romulus for a while, and it came from the original owner who bought it as a back up to the Romulus he already owned. He was worried that the one he had would meet a catastrophic fate, and then he wouldn’t be able to replace it as Riv tends to produce particular models for just a couple of years. He only rode it a couple of times, and when it came to me around 2015 it was like unpacking a brand new bike. The brake pads and original tires had no wear, everything was pretty much perfect. Of course, I replaced a bunch of original bits to outfit it more to my needs and rode the heck out of it, but I sure did appreciate the seller’s actions!
Old 08-19-20, 11:30 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Do it.
C&V forum. For when you need a dose of pure enabling.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 08-19-20, 12:00 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
Finally a question: If someone local to you were selling a StumpJumper (complete) for less than $300, would you get it as a "spare" to your slightly rusty Rockhopper?
No, absolutely not! All 16 bikes in my garage are totally unique and in no way serving as "spares" for other bikes. The six frames in the room off my garage are also entirely unique. Nope. I can't condone this gratuitous +1.

Now, if you want to buy the StumpJumper because it's not a RockHopper, that I could get behind.
Old 08-19-20, 12:46 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
So the Pinarello is backed with the De Rosa which is backed with the Colnago which is backed up with the Bottecchia.... No wait... was it the other way around?.......N+1 BABY!