Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New Sirrus 3.0 bottom bracket loose

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New Sirrus 3.0 bottom bracket loose

Old 08-23-20, 06:00 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
New Sirrus 3.0 bottom bracket side to side movement

I was looking for the source of a creaking noise on my new Sirrus. I found that the cranks move in unison side to side quite a bit - maybe 3/16 inch side to side - and when it does it pushes the chain against the front derailleur making noise while I ride. I'm not a mechanic, but that doesn't seem right (or safe) to me. I was getting ready to go for a ride and decided to try and find the creaking noise source first. I guess a trip to the shop is in my future plans instead of the ride which sucks!
I already had to bring it back to the shop the day after I bought it when the front derailleur cable came undone in the shifter housing during my first ride. I never had any issues with my Crosstrail Sport over the course of a few years and 2,000+ miles other than normal maintenance - and it NEVER had any sloppy movement in the bottom bracket/crank area.

Has anyone else seen something like this? It doesn't seem normal for the front gears to move sideways like that. I'm thinking that's what's been causing my shifts to sometimes be clunky or jump 2 gears sometimes instead of one.

Here's a video showing the movement - can anyone answer if this is normal?

Last edited by timgriffin2; 08-23-20 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 06:41 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Sounds like yours may have been one which should have had the recall. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/safety-notices
Old 08-23-20, 06:57 AM
timgriffin2

Originally Posted by freeranger
Sounds like yours may have been one which should have had the recall. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/safety-notices
I sure hope not since I purchased it 2 weeks ago and was told that this one was good to go in reference to the recall issue
Old 08-23-20, 07:29 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Definitely not normal--take it back, and hopefully they have a good mechanic that can look it over to ensure everything is installed correctly. Assuming it was sold like that, I'd look over the whole bike to ensure all is good with it. Or demand the LBS do it-without charge.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-23-20, 08:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
That's absolutely not normal. It appears like they didn't get the bearings or preload adjusted correctly on that crank spindle. It should be fairly easy for them to do. It probably was like this right out of the box, too...I can't believe this would be something that would loosen up that much over time, though I guess that's possible.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-23-20, 11:06 AM
timgriffin2

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
That's absolutely not normal. It appears like they didn't get the bearings or preload adjusted correctly on that crank spindle. It should be fairly easy for them to do. It probably was like this right out of the box, too...I can't believe this would be something that would loosen up that much over time, though I guess that's possible.
Funny you should say that about loosening up over time because that's exactly what they told me when I took it into the shop today. I told him it's only 3 weeks old and only around 100 miles on it. He said that he re-torqued it and it shouldn't return but if it does bring it back Time will tell I guess but I shouldn't have to keep returning for the same repair IMO...