Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughtful replies requested: Advice for the next big “upgrade”? (*LONG*)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-03-20, 03:44 PM
TrackSmart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I’m looking for some thoughtful replies. Imagine you finally got the promotion you have been working towards for several years. Your spouse wants to buy you something ‘big’ to reward this milestone and your hard work. She knows you really enjoy cycling, so she suggests a either a substantial upgrade for your bikes – or even a new bike. I’m *mostly* frugal with my bike purchases, relative to how much I ride, which is one of the reasons my wife (also a rider) is encouraging some purely non-essential bike spending.
- I’m not sure I’m justified in buying a new bike given I have two nice bikes already, though I’m willing to hear viewpoints on whether I’m squandering an N+1 opportunity!
- I could imagine putting $1,000 - $1,200 towards “cycling upgrades” broadly defined. Possibly more, if the price-to-benefit ratio were high enough.

I’ve listed my current riding habits and gear below. Where would you recommend spending some well-deserved money towards greater cycling joy and/or fitness?
-------
Rider: Long-time commuter and recreational rider who has enjoyed getting fitter/faster/stronger in the past year. Outside of commuting, I split my riding time between skinny-tire paved rides and wide-tire mixed surface rides (i.e. “gravel” rides). I’m not a racer, I but can imagine doing more events (e.g. gravel or gran fondo) when those are possible again, especially as my fitness continues to increase.

Current Gear:
Overall, I’m pretty happy with my bikes (below). The CAAD10 is light, fast, has nimble handling and feels like it translates all my power to the road. The Bombtrack Hook EXT-C with 2015-era RS685/Ultegra drivetrain is a blast to ride on dirt/gravel and is relatively light (for a gravel bike with 38mm tires and disc brakes).

Road Bike: 2012 CAAD-10 Ultegra (mechanical 10 spd) with upgraded wheels. Weighs ~15.6 lbs without pedals and bottle cages. The Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheelset was purchased relatively recently (1.5 yrs ago). It is a low-profile, alloy wheelset that is virtually quiet when coasting (if you add the amount of grease that Campagnolo suggests). I enjoy the silence on well-earned downhill sections.

Gravel/commuting bike: A 2015 Niner RLT9 Alloy bike, but with all the parts swapped onto a full-carbon 2019 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C frameset. I broke the RLT9 frameset in a January crash and picked up the Bombtrack frameset at a similar cost to Niner’s crash-replacement frameset offer. It is my first all-carbon frameset, but no regrets so far. The drivetrain is 2015-era RS685/Ultegra 11-speed with mechanical shifting and hydraulic disc brakes. The wheelset is 2015 Stan’s Grail Comp with about 8,000 hard miles of commuting and mixed-surface rides on them (alloy disc wheelset with weight of 1770g). The freehub is LOUD, even when freshly greased, which I don’t appreciate on quiet forest roads.

Bike Trainer: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine with InRide pod. This is a high-quality “dumb” fluid trainer that can estimate power surprisingly accurately using what is basically a speed sensor with a spin-down calibration routine (see here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/06/....html#accuracy). By “dumb” trainer, I mean you shift the gears to change the resistance. I’ve mostly been using it with a Rouvy “family plan”, so my wife and I can both ride for one relatively cheap monthly price. I’ve got an older 32” LCD TV, older desktop computer, and a pair of 24” workshop fans to complete the setup, all of which I already owned. It all works, even if I more than occasionally check out those new trainer reviews on DCrainmaker’s site…

Trainer Bike (i.e. mostly lives on the trainer): 1982 Shogun “sport tourer” with Tange Champion tubing. I added my old 700c wheels, “new” 8 speed indexed downtube shifters, and parts-bin handlebars and stem to replicate my road bike position. It is all functional for the purpose of being attached to the trainer. It also sees occasional use for practical errands, since I won’t lock my other bikes outside for any lengthy period of time.

-------

Possible Upgrades (I’m open to ideas!)
Category 1: Improving the engine
1) Power meter for training outdoors? I’ve gotten stronger over the past year by adding some regular trainer workouts to my routine (vs. just normal bike commuting during the week). I’ve had a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer, along with an “InRide” pod for indoor training, but I don’t have any power measurements for outdoor rides and training
2) Bike fit sessions for my two main bikes (road bike and gravel/commuting bike)? I *think* I’ve dialed in my bike fit decently over the years, but I’ve only every had a fairly rudimentary bike fit by the owner of the bike shop where I picked up my CAAD10. I’m certainly comfortable on my bikes for long rides and have no issues with aches or pains.
3) Some internet-based coaching to motivate me and provide more structured training? I could do this on my own, but from what I’ve heard from others, a bit of outside accountability (and encouragement) can really provide some strong motivation to train when life gets busy and keep things from getting stale. Plus, I’m not doing any group rides in these current times (I’m not criticizing those who are doing group rides, just letting you know about my choice, and why additional motivation could be useful).

Category 2: Equipment/bike upgrades
1) Smart trainer (e.g. Wahoo Kickr Core)? I didn’t put this in the “improving the engine” category, because in theory, there’s nothing stopping me from doing any kind of bike workout on my current trainer setup. I’ve got power accurate power measurements, cadence, and the ability to use the trainer with Rouvy, Zwift, etc. This would be a luxury upgrade for more realistic simulation of outdoor riding (hills, etc). Plus potential for ERG mode in training (I have no experience with it, so will reserve judgement about how well it translates to outdoor riding).
2) New gravel wheelset (something lighter and quieter)? A bearing replacement (I’ve done this four times already) should get my current wheelset running smooth again, but a lighter and quieter wheelset would be a nice luxury. I do a lot of climbing on that bike! And the current wheelset has a lot of very hard (but mostly trouble-free) miles on it.
3) Aero carbon road wheelset? (e.g. 50mm deep rim brake wheelset for the CAAD10). There would certainly be some theoretical performance gains, but the costs are relatively high and there would be little weight savings compared to the already quite light Zonda wheelset. [Some might say that I shouldn’t “invest” in a rim brake carbon wheelset, given their limited lifespan before wearing out the brake track and the decreased in braking performance compared to alloy rim brake wheelsets]
4) A whole new bike for the stable? What type would you pitch for someone who already has the bikes above and does the riding described above?
5) Groupset upgrades for the the road or gravel bikes? My existing groupsets are pretty nice, so that seems a bit silly. I don't have a huge urge to go towards electronic shifting.
6) Part upgrades? (fancier or lighter saddles, bars, seatposts, etc)?
7) Fancier bike clothes? (I ride fairly basic mid-range bike shorts and jerseys; No bibs and nothing "high end".)

Right now, I’m thinking of a POWER METER as my biggest bang-for-the-buck upgrade along with some internet-based training/coaching to get me moving in the right direction. Originally, I was thinking about a fancier smart trainer (e.g. Kickr Core), but I can already train indoors effectively with my current setup, even if it is a bit “old school” and less immersive. A power meter, would give me a whole new capability: the ability to train with power outdoors.
I suppose a power meter (and training advice) seems less flashy than a new bike, or fancy carbon wheels, but it does seem like the thing that would make the largest potential difference to improving my cycling fitness. Should I be thinking of something more "fun" here?
Old 09-03-20, 04:12 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Your bikes are honestly pretty nice already, and I am a big proponent of power meters. Would you actually use the power meter to do more focused training outdoors? Also, I had a KKRM (no InRide) and a Wahoo Kickr was a huge upgrade, so I wouldn't rule out a smart trainer just because you can already do the same workout with the Kurt, if you try hard enough. That was the thing that boosted my performance most overall, and it's not close.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-03-20, 04:25 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I've been cycling for 40 years and the best upgrade I've ever made is Mavic USTs. Just my experience.
Old 09-03-20, 07:31 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Seems from your description that the one thing you’re not happy with is your gravel wheelset. I get a set of Zondas earlier this year, and while I was perfectly happy with my previously very noisy Rolf wheelset, I’m becoming a convert to The Quiet Life. A set of ghostly-quiet wheels for the fire roads sounds pretty good. That’s the fun choice, IMO. Indoor trainers, power meters and coaching plans sound like work, not fun. What are you training for? I like cycling - and the miles I put in make me a better cyclist, in its own time.

Last edited by Litespud; 09-03-20 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 07:36 PM
TrackSmart

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Your bikes are honestly pretty nice already, and I am a big proponent of power meters. Would you actually use the power meter to do more focused training outdoors? Also, I had a KKRM (no InRide) and a Wahoo Kickr was a huge upgrade, so I wouldn't rule out a smart trainer just because you can already do the same workout with the Kurt, if you try hard enough. That was the thing that boosted my performance most overall, and it's not close.
Thanks for the reply! Regarding actually using the power meter for regular training outdoors: I think yes. My bike commute (particularly on the way home -- where I can get as sweaty as I want) would be a great time to squeeze in some focused training (e.g. a 45 minute session). I sometimes try to "go hard" to get some exercise in, but not in a usefully structured way. I could do something more structured now (without power readings), just by going hard for X minutes on and X minutes off, but one thing I realized on the trainer is that being able to see your progress is very motivating. And knowing you've gone harder in the past (based on power) keeps you accountable (i.e. from getting lazy!).

Did you use your power meter in conjunction with your Kurt Kinetic Road Machine? I ask because the InRide is itself a big upgrade over the basic Kinetic trainer (with no measurements!) You get power, cadence, and the ability to hop onto your virtual training platform of choice (Zwift, Rouvy, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, etc) -- all for $40 worth of hardware. Going from the "dark ages" (i.e. no measurements and no entertaining virtual riding platforms) to a Kickr would be a GIANT leap. I'm trying to figure out which thing was the big leap for you: finally being able to use measured power in your indoor training (via the Kickr) or moving from the KKRM (basic fluid trainer + your power meter and cadence) to the Kickr (automatically controlled resistance). I hope that make sense.
Old 09-03-20, 07:48 PM
TrackSmart

Originally Posted by Litespud
Seems from your description that the one thing you’re not happy with is your gravel wheelset. I get a set of Zondas earlier this year, and while I was perfectly happy with my previously very noisy Rolf wheelset, I’m becoming a convert to The Quiet Life. A set of ghostly-quiet wheels for the fire roads sounds pretty good. That’s the fun choice, IMO. Indoor trainers, power meters and coaching plans sound like work, not fun. What are you training for? I like cycling - and the miles I put in make me a better cyclist, in its own time.
It's funny, in some ways I'm shockingly pleased with those Stan's Grail Comp wheels! They've got many thousands of miles and I've barely had to touch the wheels with a spoke wrench. And these were HARD MILES (commuting in all weather, smashing them on dirt, gravel, and rocks). They even survived the crash that destroyed my *really stout* RLT-9 frameset (taking the impact first and only getting a minor ding in the rim, which has caused no problems). I just wish it didn't sound like I was being attacked by a swarm of bees every time I coast. I've actually scared horses (with riders on them) on quiet back roads and trails when trying to slow down and give lots of space. I actually STOP completely now. Ask the rider if I can pass. And then make sure to avoid coasting on my way through!

But yeah, I'd get some joy out of replacing that wheelset with something quieter. It's just been so hard to justify. Sure, it's not a super light wheelset, but 1770g is not terrible for a stout, wide, gravel disc wheelset. For instance, the Zonda disc wheels are 1675g (as opposed to just 1540g for the rim brake versions), so only ~100g of weight savings. But the Zonda's would be super quiet, especially if they have enough grease in the freehub... Not sure how much abuse they would take off road.

Got any tips for a wheelset that would be quiet, lighter than the Zonda Disc, and stout enough for the riding I'd be doing? And not be crazy expensive? I've heard good things about the Hunt wheels. And I hear they have a secret, unadvertised, quieter freehub you can ask for (versus their REALLY LOUD stock freehub). But I don't know if the "quieter" version is just "normal loud" instead of REALLY LOUD.
Old 09-03-20, 08:10 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
It’s so refreshing to come across someone so decisive with so few parameters.
Because there is nothing worse than someone who asks for random help when they are clearly amazingly particular.
Old 09-03-20, 09:05 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Something entirely different. A cycling holiday. You don't list where you live, but if you live someplace where there is winter, there's NOTHING like escaping to a warm scenic place for a week of riding in January.

If you live in a place that already has year-round warm weather, then a trip to someplace scenic to ride. Colorado. France (when they let us back in ), Italy, etc.

Oh, and congrats on the promotion.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-04-20, 01:41 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Yes, you should definitely find a new spouse who doesn't think a new bike is a big deal.
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-04-20, 04:51 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I get that your spouse wants you to reward yourself but you made a pretty good argument that you actually don't need anything. Take some money and put it in a rainy day fund and when you find something you REALLY want, purchase it. There are other ways to reward yourself for your hard work without spending money on bikes you don't actually need. In other words listen to that frugal side of yourself.
Old 09-04-20, 05:01 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Thanks for the reply! Regarding actually using the power meter for regular training outdoors: I think yes. My bike commute (particularly on the way home -- where I can get as sweaty as I want) would be a great time to squeeze in some focused training (e.g. a 45 minute session). I sometimes try to "go hard" to get some exercise in, but not in a usefully structured way. I could do something more structured now (without power readings), just by going hard for X minutes on and X minutes off, but one thing I realized on the trainer is that being able to see your progress is very motivating. And knowing you've gone harder in the past (based on power) keeps you accountable (i.e. from getting lazy!).

Did you use your power meter in conjunction with your Kurt Kinetic Road Machine? I ask because the InRide is itself a big upgrade over the basic Kinetic trainer (with no measurements!) You get power, cadence, and the ability to hop onto your virtual training platform of choice (Zwift, Rouvy, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, etc) -- all for $40 worth of hardware. Going from the "dark ages" (i.e. no measurements and no entertaining virtual riding platforms) to a Kickr would be a GIANT leap. I'm trying to figure out which thing was the big leap for you: finally being able to use measured power in your indoor training (via the Kickr) or moving from the KKRM (basic fluid trainer + your power meter and cadence) to the Kickr (automatically controlled resistance). I hope that make sense.
The InRide isn't as much of an upgrade if you put in a bit of work - with a speed sensor, TrainerRoad will show the same calculated power as the InRide. For me, the difference wasn't the ability to see numbers but the smart aspects of controlling the workout. I didn't and still don't really care for the virtual riding nonsense; I queue up a workout (even if it's a ride sim) and watch Netflix. So, to answer your question, yes the automatically-controlled resistance was the secret sauce, not the new platforms (for quite a while I used the same one).

Where are you located? If you have a longer, unrideable winter that affects things.
Old 09-04-20, 05:43 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Consider spending the money on a week away cycling.
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-04-20, 06:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
If your goal is to train more and you really are willing to suffer for your sport, go ahead and get a power meter and some coaching.

However, if your goal is to enjoy your road bike more, I would suggest you consider a new Ultegra R8000 groupset for your road bike. I expect your original components are getting a little worn anyway.
Old 09-04-20, 07:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
A power meter is great, if you have a plan to use it. So, what is your plan? What are you training for? Do you know how to build a training plan? If you just want to get fitter, riding more is a less expensive way to do that. Without a plan, it's just a tool the tells you how hard you are (or are not) working.

A KKRM is a perfectly fine trainer. My wife and I have the KKRM, CycleOps Fluid 2, Kickr, Kreitler Rollers and InsideRide E-motion rollers. I've used all of them, depending on my needs. If you want to get into Zwift, from what I hear a Kickr can make that more interactive and enjoyable. (I'm not on Zwift - I prefer watching TV and movies when doing my intervals on the trainer.)

As already mentioned, you current bikes are fine. If you want something fancier and can afford it, go for it. But in terms of equipment - how comfortable are you on your bikes? Could you upgrade your touch points - saddle, bars, stem, seatpost? What about your shoes and clothing? Are you comfortable there. At this point in my cycling, I just want to be comfortable, so I am more than willing to spend on expensive clothing, shoes, bars, saddles... A good bike fit can be worth the money if you are currently uncomfortable on your bike or have some issues.
Old 09-04-20, 09:18 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
DT Swiss GR 1600 spline. DT 350 hubs with 18T ratchets are virtually silent, and easy to pull the freehub off with the cassette still installed if you want to service and regrease. Nice and thick for gravel tyres too.
Old 09-04-20, 09:50 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
So a few thoughts in no particular order:

1) There is very little you can buy for $1000-2000 that is going to be "bang for the buck" in terms of price/benefit. That curve gets absurdly step very quickly and you are already at the point of diminishing returns. Get something that makes you happy/excited.

2) While a powermeter is always nice for people looking to do structured training, it doesnt necessarily make sense if your goal is just to improve and you arent racing. You can train reasonably well by RPE/HR - and while your training may not be as optimized as it would be with a power meter, so what? You arent trying to squeeze out the last bit of performance out of your genetic capabilities or win races where a handful of watts could make a difference. The old adage about "ride lots" works pretty damn well for most people. Note - I say this as someone who has a power meter on every single bike.

3) A smart trainer is quite nice if you plan to do a lot of indoor rides. After a decade riding on a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer, I do appreciate my Wahoo. This would probably be my recommendation in terms of providing the most tangible benefit for the money spent

4) Wheels are always nice. Deep section wheels make your bike look nice and inspire you (and when I say "you", i mean "me" ) to ride more. Performance benefits? Meh. The pleasure of hearing them go "whoosh whoosh"? Impossible to quantify
Old 09-04-20, 11:10 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
+1 for getting a power meter. It will help you ride more mindfully towards your fitness goals. Maybe also add some new wheels if you've got money left to burn in your reward fund.
Old 09-04-20, 11:15 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

My hesitation with a power meter in this situation is it would only realistically go on one of the two bikes.
Old 09-04-20, 11:42 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Depending on where you live, winter is coming. If I were you I'd get a smart direct drive trainer and try out the various apps and services.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 09-04-20, 06:46 PM
TrackSmart

Originally Posted by znomit
Yes, you should definitely find a new spouse who doesn't think a new bike is a big deal.
You didn't read carefully enough. She's awesome and wants to buy me expensive things! I'm the one who is cheap with myself. So I'm the one who thinks dropping $3k on a new bike is a "big deal". Even my other two bikes, which are the only TRULY NEW BIKES I've ever purchased, were bought at a steep discount. She strongly encouraged both purchases.

Originally Posted by blakcloud
I get that your spouse wants you to reward yourself but you made a pretty good argument that you actually don't need anything. Take some money and put it in a rainy day fund and when you find something you REALLY want, purchase it. There are other ways to reward yourself for your hard work without spending money on bikes you don't actually need. In other words listen to that frugal side of yourself.
I pretty much always listen to my frugal side. That's rarely a problem! She's going to buy me something, so I'm trying to think of things that will bring lots of satisfaction in the present and near future. That said, I get your point of "find something you REALLY want".

Originally Posted by illdrag0n
DT Swiss GR 1600 spline. DT 350 hubs with 18T ratchets are virtually silent, and easy to pull the freehub off with the cassette still installed if you want to service and regrease. Nice and thick for gravel tyres too.
Thanks! I like the quiet part. Looks like weight is about the same (1725g, or 50g less than current wheels). Rationally, I know that weight is not the most important thing, but I will admit that it feels like more of an upgrade if weight goes down substantially, too!

Originally Posted by guadzilla
So a few thoughts in no particular order:
1) There is very little you can buy for $1000-2000 that is going to be "bang for the buck" in terms of price/benefit. Get something that makes you happy/excited.
2) While a powermeter is always nice for people looking to do structured training, it doesnt necessarily make sense if your goal is just to improve and you arent racing. You can train reasonably well by RPE/HR... Note - I say this as someone who has a power meter on every single bike.
3) After a decade riding on a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer, I do appreciate my Wahoo. This would probably be my recommendation in terms of providing the most tangible benefit for the money spent
4) Wheels are always nice. Deep section wheels make your bike look nice and inspire you... Performance benefits? Meh. The pleasure of hearing them go "whoosh whoosh"? Impossible to quantify
Thanks for the reply! Re: #1 ) Indeed, once you are at Ultegra and similarly good parts you are already on the steeper end of the diminishing returns curve. #2 ) No argument from me! All the old cycling greats trained without power meters and it didn't hold them back! That said, my wife wants to buy me something that I don't necessarily "need". And having evidence of getting faster is definitely more motivating than RPE (relative by definition) or outdoor speed which varies with wind, traffic, etc. #3 ) That's another strong vote for a Wahoo Kickr to upgrade my fluid trainer. Thanks! 4) Ha ha. Indeed, they make a bike look fast even when its parked, too.

Originally Posted by sfrider
Depending on where you live, winter is coming. If I were you I'd get a smart direct drive trainer and try out the various apps and services.
Thanks! A third vote for the Kickr. We get cold weather and some snow, but unless the roads are icy or snow-covered, I still commute and get on the bike for shorter weekend rides when time allows. So maybe 4 weeks per year that are "unrideable" by my definition. So there's room for a power meter, even in the fall, winter, and early spring season. But due to time constraints, having the trainer is really helpful for sneaking in hard workouts during busy weeks.

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
+1 for getting a power meter. It will help you ride more mindfully towards your fitness goals. Maybe also add some new wheels if you've got money left to burn in your reward fund.
Thanks! I've been thinking along those same lines. Power meter first (new training possibilities) and possibly some quiet wheels for the gravel bike. Though the votes for the Wahoo Kickr trainer are starting to have me thinking about that option, too.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My hesitation with a power meter in this situation is it would only realistically go on one of the two bikes.
At $300 per bike ($600 for both my main bikes) for one-sided power at the cranks, it would be within reason to equip both the gravel/commuter bike and the go-fast bike. 4iiii has factory install options for both my Ultegra crankset and the carbon FSA crankset on my CAAD10.

Regarding bike holidays: Certainly a nice idea, but we are going to do those, anyway, because my wife enjoys those, too. Though I suppose you could be talking about more of a selfish me-without-the-spouse sort of bike getaway (with lots more climbing or dirt/gravel adventures than she would be amenable to). Our summer bike travel plans didn't come to fruition given current times, but down the road...

I'm happy to hear more thoughts from folks. Thanks for the responses so far!
Old 09-04-20, 09:39 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I would be wary of getting a powermeter.
They definitely have their uses but really depend on the type of person you are and how driven you are to train at least fairly seriously.
Personally I ride for enjoyment and to keep reasonably fit. "Obeying" a powermeter and too much of a structured train plan sucks that enjoyment right out of it for me.
Sure I like to be faster than the next guy but you have to weigh up the cost benefit ratio.
Same for indoor trainers for me. I dislike them and would much rather ride outside unless the weather is extremely bad.
Old 09-05-20, 06:24 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Something entirely different. A cycling holiday. You don't list where you live, but if you live someplace where there is winter, there's NOTHING like escaping to a warm scenic place for a week of riding in January.
I'm reminded of the old adage: "don't buy your kids stuff, buy them experiences". The experiences last forever. In this year of the creepy coodies, I often think of our trip to Yellowstone Natl Park or our trip to Verona, Italy or to Hampshire and across southern England. I think of my several weekends on the Farmington Heritage trail and the Cape Cod RT and in Whites or on the BRP.

If yer gear and kit is fine now then buy experiences.
Old 09-05-20, 07:53 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Call or email Bob Jackson or Mercian. Order bespoke bike. Travel to England. Ride in the UK, perhaps where the distill malt whisky (whiskey?). To stay within $2,000, you might have to bring a set of wheels with you.

That's both a thing and an experience. It's what I'd do, but that's me. I offer it as a suggestion. I understand you can get good bikes from makers of many nationalities, too. All youhave to do is find a location a) where you want to ride, and b) where youcan find a good custom bike builder

Congratulations on your promotion. Enjoy the rewards.

Last edited by philbob57; 09-05-20 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-05-20, 08:45 AM
TrackSmart

Originally Posted by Dean V
I would be wary of getting a powermeter.
They definitely have their uses but really depend on the type of person you are and how driven you are to train at least fairly seriously.
Personally I ride for enjoyment and to keep reasonably fit. "Obeying" a powermeter and too much of a structured train plan sucks that enjoyment right out of it for me.
Sure I like to be faster than the next guy but you have to weigh up the cost benefit ratio.
Same for indoor trainers for me. I dislike them and would much rather ride outside unless the weather is extremely bad.
Thanks for the response. I agree that I want to make sure cycling remains fun. That said, regarding power meters and structured training:
1) I realized this past year that I got a lot stronger doing structured workouts on the trainer a couple of times a week than I got by "going hard" on my commutes. When I lost my commutes due to the current plague for several months, I got stronger as a rider, even though I was riding a lot less total time during my weekdays.
2) I'm happy to spend an hour a few times per week doing structured workouts, if it gets me strong enough to do awesome rides I couldn't easily do before. Or makes rides that were merely "survivable" turn into challenging, but fun adventures.
3) There is a certain joy to getting measurably faster and stronger! It is also motivating in it's own way.
4) I will still do my non-training rides without the power and HR measurements. The short, but intense structured training rides are there to increase my fitness, so I can enjoy more challenging adventures (and to keep up with the people who would do those adventures with me!)

Originally Posted by Prowler
I'm reminded of the old adage: "don't buy your kids stuff, buy them experiences". The experiences last forever. In this year of the creepy coodies, I often think of our trip to Yellowstone Natl Park or our trip to Verona, Italy or to Hampshire and across southern England. I think of my several weekends on the Farmington Heritage trail and the Cape Cod RT and in Whites or on the BRP. If yer gear and kit is fine now then buy experiences.
I agree! But my wife wouldn't call that a gift, since we do bike vacations together anyway -- and have an awesome time. I was going to purchase two bike cases this spring, so we could skip the cost of bike rentals in the future, since many airlines now fly bikes for free. But then airline travel became a bad idea for obvious reasons.

That said, if the bike trip were something she wouldn't do (e.g. in terms of level of challenge or involving lots of off-pavement stuff), and I did that trip separately, that might be considered a gift. Especially since she would be "holding down the fort" at home without me. Think along the lines of a multi-day supported gravel event, or a paved event that includes some serious time in the mountains. Note that at this time, that's not a gift she can give me! Maybe next year.
Old 09-05-20, 09:38 AM
TrackSmart

Originally Posted by philbob57
Call or email Bob Jackson or Mercian. Order bespoke bike. Travel to England. Ride in the UK, perhaps where the distill malt whisky (whiskey?). To stay within $2,000, you might have to bring a set of wheels with you.

That's both a thing and an experience. It's what I'd do, but that's me. I offer it as a suggestion. I understand you can get good bikes from makers of many nationalities, too. All youhave to do is find a location a) where you want to ride, and b) where youcan find a good custom bike builder

Congratulations on your promotion. Enjoy the rewards.

Thanks for the congrats. that is definitely a fun idea! Given the current state of travel it would have to be a 'get it next year' sort of gift, which might not be what my wife had in mind. But I will definitely think about that one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.