Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 01:16 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
After reading some emails from them, you might feel differently. It's clear that English isn't their first language.
You're just assigning meaning to suit your desired outcome, then. If you're going to say that you think "recommended" means "recommended," and that "max" also means "recommended," then someone else can interpret it the opposite way just as easily. That said, the fact that they actually gave a range on the "recommended" whereas they gave a single value for "max" makes me think that there's really no ambiguity.

I know that you're thrilled with your wheels, and that's cool, but until they explain a little better, I think that it's silly to waive this away as a non-concern for a potential buyer.
Old 08-26-20, 01:53 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I know that you're thrilled with your wheels, and that's cool, but until they explain a little better, I think that it's silly to waive this away as a non-concern for a potential buyer.
I haven't waived it away as a non-concern for a potential buyer, I'm just saying I wouldn't worry about it. I also wouldn't buy any of the 25mm inner width hoops if I was using a 28-32mm tire. Yes I understand the 105% rule, I just don't follow the rule strictly.
Old 08-27-20, 01:54 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Going back to your original post on the subject, this is kinda the key bit of info that we don't know.. as apparently this incident caused them to change their PSI rating. If someone was running a 38mm tire at 80psi and it blew off.. then it's not a relevant reason for providing a new 50/60psi PSI recommendation, since as we've noted, it depends on tire width.

So, is it that running a 38 at that pressure, is too high for a 38? Does that mean you think the same rim with a 28 would be better at 80?
Old 08-27-20, 05:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
So, is it that running a 38 at that pressure, is too high for a 38? Does that mean you think the same rim with a 28 would be better at 80?
Just so you're clear, this was just a hypothetical example, but yes, 80psi would be too high for any 38mm tire, while a 28mm tire at 80psi could be right for someone of a certain (heavier side of things) weight. And likewise, the 38mm tire at 80psi would be putting a lot more strain on the rim and tire bead than they might be designed to withstand. I wouldn't know though what the actual rim is that you're referring to, but evidently it might be possible that some rims can't even handle 80psi with a 28mm tire, but you'd definitely be better off than with a 38mm tire at the same pressure.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-27-20, 05:25 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
I don't think your wheelset is one with the lower pressure rating, but I would ask LB.
Old 08-27-20, 07:52 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think your wheelset is one with the lower pressure rating, but I would ask LB.
​​​​​​

Was just asking to understand the concept. I run 55/60,on 25s which measure 29.
Old 08-27-20, 09:39 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I think guadzilla is looking at the wrong hoops for his needs, and I can't understand why he wants to run such a high pressure. I thought he was about 185#
Hey, hey!!! I am down to 180 now

Actually, I dont think it is that high a pressure. 60-70psi is pretty much the range recommended by Silca, Zipp AND Enve, for riding 32mms on tarmac.

BTW.. not sure you've said.. which rim(s) are you specifically interested in, for what type of riding (road/surface)?
I was looking at WR45/65. Plan was to run them with a tire with a WAM of 32mm, to make the rim OD - for riding on all sorts of tarmac, on endurance-focused weekend group rides (where there are some attacks and sustained hard efforts but nothing too crazy) and generally as my all-road wheelset that I can take with me when i go on cycling trips.

I know i can accomplish this with a 28mm or 30mm OD rim as well - it is mostly OCD that is pushing me for a rim width that is at the very least equal to the tire width.
Old 08-28-20, 06:54 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Hey, hey!!! I am down to 180 now

Actually, I dont think it is that high a pressure. 60-70psi is pretty much the range recommended by Silca, Zipp AND Enve, for riding 32mms on tarmac.
with what rim(internal width)? All the pressure recommendations I've seen are lower than that.
Old 08-28-20, 07:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

with what rim(internal width)? All the pressure recommendations I've seen are lower than that.
Realize that he's talking about actual inflated 32mm width. I/we don't know what nominally-sized tire he thinks will end up at 32mm. The rims he's talking about are 25mm internal.

Zipp/SRAMs calculator asks for nominal sized tire, and with hooked rims (is Guad thinking hooks or hookless??), so with a 28mm labelled tire, the result is 61/65psi. With a 30mm tire, result is 58/62. A bit OT, but I'm curious what 'science' is behind a SRAM's calculator indicating to use less air pressure (~5psi) with a hookless rim than with hooked -- does a tire mounted on hookless inflate to that much larger size?

Silca's calculator, which relies on WAM, provides a result of ~63/64psi. There is no entry needed for rim width or whether hooked/hookless, since this calculator is based on the actual tire width once inflated anyway.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 08-28-20 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 07:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by guadzilla
I was looking at WR45/65. Plan was to run them with a tire with a WAM of 32mm, to make the rim OD - for riding on all sorts of tarmac, on endurance-focused weekend group rides (where there are some attacks and sustained hard efforts but nothing too crazy) and generally as my all-road wheelset that I can take with me when i go on cycling trips.
I can't find any WR65 model on LB's site. Link? Curiously, in WR (25/32 ID/OD) they seem only have a WR45 and WR50.. not sure what possessed them to offer 2 rims identical except for a minor 5mm depth difference?
Old 08-28-20, 10:10 AM
noodle soup

Realize that he's talking about actual inflated 32mm width. I/we don't know what nominally-sized tire he thinks will end up at 32mm. The rims he's talking about are 25mm internal.
I know that Schwalbe 30mm tires(G-1 Speed/Pro1 Addix) measure 31.5mm on 23mm internal width LB hoops.
Old 08-28-20, 11:34 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Zipp/SRAMs calculator asks for nominal sized tire, and with hooked rims (is Guad thinking hooks or hookless??), so with a 28mm labelled tire, the result is 61/65psi. With a 30mm tire, result is 58/62. A bit OT, but I'm curious what 'science' is behind a SRAM's calculator indicating to use less air pressure (~5psi) with a hookless rim than with hooked -- does a tire mounted on hookless inflate to that much larger size?
Silca's calculator, which relies on WAM, provides a result of ~63/64psi. There is no entry needed for rim width or whether hooked/hookless, since this calculator is based on the actual tire width once inflated anyway.
That is correct - I expect 28c nominals should measure out to about 32mm when mounted on these 25s.

I plan to run hooked rims - I really see no value whatsoever in going hookless. Someone from Challenge Tires was reaming all the wheel manufacturers a new one on WW for basically abandoning ERTRO and making up their own standards as they want along. And i agree that it seems to be nothing but a cost-cutting move: do they really believe that that hook is what is going to make a massive difference in aero for the wheel? Enough to warrant the risk of the tire blowing off and requiring an entire page of tire compatibility nonsense?

I can't find any WR65 model on LB's site. Link? Curiously, in WR (25/32 ID/OD) they seem only have a WR45 and WR50.. not sure what possessed them to offer 2 rims identical except for a minor 5mm depth difference?
The WR65 is a new rim - not yet officially released. I heard about it on WW, and asked them about it. They have just finished their testing and are going to be announcing it in September. It is, however, available to order if someone so desires. According to their sales guy, their engineer says the 65mm rim is strong enough to handle 75psi but they cant guarantee anything because they dont know usage.

Also, the WR50 is a "Pro" rim, which is made differently. The finishing is also different.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/series/...rim/falcon-pro
Old 09-02-20, 11:10 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a frame with 38mm measured width clearance: WR50 or AR45? The bike is a 2020 Scott Addict RC. I'm currently running Schwalbe ONE TLE 28s which measure at 29mm. This chart shows that those tires will measure at 31.2mm on the WR50s or 30.0mm on the AR45s.
Old 09-06-20, 09:31 PM
Snaildrake

Bikes: '70s Eisentraut, Gary Fisher mtn, Scott carbon road

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on use and what clearance you’re comfortable with. Sounds right for a 32mm Rim to me. I’m running new 28c Pro One TLEs on WR50s and they measure 31.5mm. On my RoadMachine tires and rims both have 4mm chainstay clearance each side (so 40mm total width at the rim), which to me is minimum. By the way I had to measure clearance more than once to get a real number at the rim diameter, since the RM chain stays angle into the bottom bracket.
Old 09-08-20, 06:08 AM
Dendroica

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have decided to get a set of AR56's to go on my new Tarmac SL7 Expert. I am going to go with the DT240 hubs and with those I have the option of going for 24 or 28 hole rear wheel. I weigh around 90kg, Would people recommend going with the 24H or 28H or rear?
Old 09-08-20, 07:27 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Dendroica
I have decided to get a set of AR56's to go on my new Tarmac SL7 Expert. I am going to go with the DT240 hubs and with those I have the option of going for 24 or 28 hole rear wheel. I weigh around 90kg, Would people recommend going with the 24H or 28H or rear?
I'd probably go with 28 spoke rear, and brass nipples.

Did you get 10% off for choosing DT240S hubs? If you "like" Light Bicycle on Facebook, they give 3% off.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-08-20, 08:36 AM
Dendroica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd probably go with 28 spoke rear, and brass nipples.

Did you get 10% off for choosing DT240S hubs? If you "like" Light Bicycle on Facebook, they give 3% off.
I should have specified I was getting the new 240EXP. They are sold out of disc 240s
Old 09-08-20, 10:44 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Snaildrake
Depends on use and what clearance you’re comfortable with. Sounds right for a 32mm Rim to me. I’m running new 28c Pro One TLEs on WR50s and they measure 31.5mm. On my RoadMachine tires and rims both have 4mm chainstay clearance each side (so 40mm total width at the rim), which to me is minimum. By the way I had to measure clearance more than once to get a real number at the rim diameter, since the RM chain stays angle into the bottom bracket.
Thanks for the info. Is that on the hooked or hookless version?
Old 09-08-20, 11:17 AM
dur4ce

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds like you're looking at a very similar wheelset to the one I received last month (and posted above). AR56 (disc), DT 240 EXP, CX-Ray spokes with brass nipples. My 24/24 set weighed 1518g, so a 24/28 setup would likely be ~1540g. Sounds like cheap insurance to me. I went with 24/24 hole as I weigh a good 25kg less than you.

And since everyone likes pics:
Old 09-08-20, 03:59 PM
Snaildrake

Bikes: '70s Eisentraut, Gary Fisher mtn, Scott carbon road

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cuevélo
Thanks for the info. Is that on the hooked or hookless version?
Standard weight Hooked rim — keeps all tire options open — not that I plan on using anything but tubeless tires.
By the way, what the web site says about stiff, believe it — I’m on the lighter side at 152 lbs and I never feel any give in these wheels, even with J bend spokes. Comfy they are not. -Dan
Old 09-08-20, 04:42 PM
Dendroica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dur4ce
Sounds like you're looking at a very similar wheelset to the one I received last month (and posted above). AR56 (disc), DT 240 EXP, CX-Ray spokes with brass nipples. My 24/24 set weighed 1518g, so a 24/28 setup would likely be ~1540g. Sounds like cheap insurance to me. I went with 24/24 hole as I weigh a good 25kg less than you.

And since everyone likes pics:
Yup that is exactly what I am looking at. How are you liking yours? I think i will go with 24/28 as a extra 22g means nothing when I should lose 10kg
Old 09-08-20, 04:52 PM
dur4ce

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yup that is exactly what I am looking at. How are you liking yours? I think i will go with 24/28 as a extra 22g means nothing when I should lose 10kg
With the caveat that I don't have much frame of reference on deep carbon wheels, I am really liking them. I've taken them on a number of rides now, including a 3000 ft and a 5000 ft climb (and the downhill of each). They climb well (500g lighter than the stock wheels/tires/casette/rotors that came on my gravel bike), descend well at 40mph, and are controllable despite my relatively light weight. The hubs were near silent at first, but as the grease has been distributed in the ratchet over a couple hundred miles, they have become pretty middle of the road in terms of freehub volume.

I ordered them with hooked beads and no holes in the rim beds. Mounting Conti GP5ks was challenging, but I still got them both on in a half hour or so (warmed the tires up in a toaster oven and used plastic levers). This setup of wheels/tires really transforms the feel of my gravel bike into a legit endurance geo road bike. Very pleased with the split personality option I've got now.

Also for reference, I got the gloss, UD carbon finish with no logos.
Likes For dur4ce:
Old 09-09-20, 04:33 PM
noodle soup

On 8/26 I ordered a wheelset from the NA distributor, and today they emailed the UPS shipping information.

on 7/11 I ordered a wheelset from there Asian facility, and received shipping info 8/17. These wheels still haven't moved according to the tracking #.
Old 09-09-20, 06:00 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
For what it's worth, i weight 125kg.

I ride 28/28 AR46 with DT 350 hubs and CX-Ray spokes. They are straight as an arrow after about 1500km.

Old 09-10-20, 01:14 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

So LB has released tire pressure charts and also edited their pressure recommendations:
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...re-Charts.html

Back to 110psi for the hooked rims- which makes sense. I suspect they just got conservative as an automatic reaction when the blowout happened and till they could figure out why.

Not sure i agree with their tire pressure recommendations. IMO, they are about 10-20psi too low - based on both my personal experiences as well as what Silca, ENVE and Zipp all have to say. But that's a relatively minor issue. The main thing is that these wheels should work at relatively higher pressures too.
Likes For guadzilla:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.