Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

any decent walmart bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

any decent walmart bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 11:17 AM
windy7777
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i do know pacific makes many store brand bikes .they even make canondale if i recall
Old 09-22-20, 11:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Can't believe there hasn't been a popcorn emoji yet.
There will be one soon enough, perhaps even with a hint of snark about the OP's "goal" or identity, from one of the usual suspects, just like a broken record.
Old 09-22-20, 11:25 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Ask anybody who works at, is affiliated with or has an emotional or financial attachment to an LBS (or the branded products sold there) and he will tell you the same. BF has a large contingent of such people who will respond accordingly to this type of allegedly innocent "question".
Yup, too many people on here just keep virtue-signaling how "great" the almighty LBS is, as though bike shops are infallible. This happens despite the well-known fact that many, many local bike shops are run by condescending, patronizing scam artists that put a ridiculous mark-up on basic parts. The last time I went to a local bike shop, they were trying to charge $60 for a KMC chain. This was not some top-of-the-line chain, nor was it a gold-plated chain; it was a regular, KMC 10-speed chain. I basically stared the shop owner down as I ordered the chain for 60% less money from Amazon while using his free WiFi.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 09-22-20, 11:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
just like a broken record.
Ohhhhh the irony.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 11:30 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Why are you afraid of front derailleurs? Having more than one chainring really helps balance gear range & spacing, without the need for thinner, weaker cogs at the rear.
All MTB have come with 1x11 or 1x12 for years by now. All ridden hard and shifted under heavy load in the mud. I'm sure we would have heard of those weak cogs breaking by now.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 09-22-20, 11:34 AM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
All MTB have come with 1x11 or 1x12 for years by now. All ridden hard and shifted under heavy load in the mud. I'm sure we would have heard of those weak cogs breaking by now.
I think we have heard plenty of people wearing out their cassettes faster, but I guess that doesn't count in your book? Also, OP said nothing about wanting a mountain bike, nor did they say anything at all that warranted advocating for a specialty drivetrain. It makes no sense to come in and just blurt out nonsense about front derailleurs, which is why I asked you about it. No need to get snippy.
Old 09-22-20, 11:37 AM
windy7777
Banned

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i just kind of want a basic simple bike. i love internal hub bikes
Old 09-22-20, 11:40 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Tick tock tick tock boys. Only a matter of time now.

$2300 for a 105 equipped carbon framed gravel bike seems like a pretty good deal to me. My only complaint is for lower gearing.

https://www.viathonbicycles.com/coll...roducts/g1-105

Walmart is already probably one of the world's largest bike retailers. They are unquestionably one of the most forward thinking companies as well, look at the things they are doing with renewable energy and the way they are going all in with on line sales. Where I live Walmart delivers on line orders faster than Amazon.

If they start producing their own line of bikes they could flat take over.

Tick tock...
Old 09-22-20, 11:42 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6b9RxXGzSY

It depends on what you expect. The simpler the bike the more likely it will be ok. I would avoid anything with suspension and a front derailer. Rear gears may be okay if you check the setup before you ride. Park tools has videos on how to do everything.
That was an awesome video.
Old 09-22-20, 11:42 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Why are you afraid of front derailleurs? Having more than one chainring really helps balance gear range & spacing, without the need for thinner, weaker cogs at the rear.
Just simplicity, nothing more in this case. I actually don't like derailers at all, but since I don't live in the mountains, I need a few gears when I visit the mountains.
Old 09-22-20, 12:01 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I think we have heard plenty of people wearing out their cassettes faster, but I guess that doesn't count in your book? Also, OP said nothing about wanting a mountain bike, nor did they say anything at all that warranted advocating for a specialty drivetrain. It makes no sense to come in and just blurt out nonsense about front derailleurs, which is why I asked you about it. No need to get snippy.
You know MTB drivetrains also work on other bikes? Like ALL flatbar for example?
what actual experiences do you have with 1x drivetrains? I "heard" the world is flat.... Good 1x drivetrains have excellent life span. Obviously there is more wear on an MTB, but that also applies to 3x8. OP wanted simplicity, how much simpler than one shifter and sequential shifting can we get?

An FD can be good, if it is XTR quality, but that likely isn't the case on a big box store bike. they use cheap FD, so better not to have one. Same with suspension, don't expect good suspension, so better not to get suspension.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 09-22-20, 12:38 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by windy7777
Idk if Wal-Mart sells internally geared bikes, but I know Shimano makes some decent quality 3 & 7 speed hubs. You see them a lot on bikeshare bikes in a lot of cities. The last time I shopped around looking at internal gear hub bikes, they were all slightly more expensive than their derailleur-equipped equivalents. If you're on a tight budget, it might be best to look for a used bike if you want internal gears.
Old 09-22-20, 12:41 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
But don't let that stop you.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-22-20, 01:04 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by windy7777
I actually just bought my wife a new bike from Walmart because she wanted it and I was surprised to see the Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal gear hub on the bike. It was the only adult bike on the floor. Has front Caliper brakes and a rear drum brake. It was $198

Old 09-22-20, 01:20 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
That popped up on my Google feed the other day and I wondered if Walmarts account got hacked.

I think it's pretty awesome and I'm curious to see if it gains any traction. Personally I don't go into Walmart looking for high-end anything - I'm there for the cheapest possible product that will work for right now. But who knows.
Old 09-22-20, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That popped up on my Google feed the other day and I wondered if Walmarts account got hacked.

I think it's pretty awesome and I'm curious to see if it gains any traction. Personally I don't go into Walmart looking for high-end anything - I'm there for the cheapest possible product that will work for right now. But who knows.
Note that those bikes are not sold at Walmart. The company was started by, and is owned by, Walmart. Tomorrow the makers of Thunderbird wine could launch a premium wine business selling wine that had no resemblance to cheap ass Thunderbird.
Old 09-22-20, 01:30 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
As always (the linked bike not withstanding), the discussion remains in the abstract. The practical question that the OP skirted is what he wants the bike to do; what his mechanical abilities, tools and parts reservoir are; and how much he is willing to spend. Without knowing a budget, it's difficult to say whether Wal-Mart offers the best value proposition.

At $120 for a child's bike, it's probably acceptable, but there are always pre-owned available on Craigslist.

At $250 for an adult bike, things remain grey. It's possible to find good used bikes at that point, but there will be parts and consumable wear.

At the $500 for a bike, there are definitely better pre-owned vintage and newer road bikes, and a few mountain bikes.

At the $1000 point, you get into a competition between direct-ship bikes and bike shop entry level road bikes. For MTBs, it's still better to go used at this dollar value.

And so on...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-22-20, 01:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
At $120 for a child's bike, it's probably acceptable, but there are always pre-owned available on Craigslist.
I've found 3 different sized kids bike at the curb. All needed some minor attention, but none needed any parts. I have them saved for when my grandkids can ride them.
Old 09-22-20, 01:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Note that those bikes are not sold at Walmart. The company was started by, and is owned by, Walmart. Tomorrow the makers of Thunderbird wine could launch a premium wine business selling wine that had no resemblance to cheap ass Thunderbird.
what about boones farm or Bartles & Jaymes?
Old 09-22-20, 01:39 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

I get asked this a few times per year: "Can you find me a [nice] road bike within a $300 budget?" This is sometimes a recreational-level MTB request as well. Knowing my abilities and unwillingness to compromise, they ask because they know that I'll deliver. This involves scouring the opportunities and tapping into my spare parts bins. And it doesn't happen over night. I wouldn't be going to a retailer for this.
Old 09-22-20, 01:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Ask anybody who works at, is affiliated with or has an emotional or financial attachment to an LBS (or the branded products sold there) and he will tell you the same. BF has a large contingent of such people who will respond accordingly to this type of allegedly innocent "question".

Just curious, have you actually ever purchased a bike at Walmart? You always get so heated on this topic, yet never seem to have anything to say other than to insult people who denigrate them.
Old 09-22-20, 01:44 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by GlennR
I've found 3 different sized kids bike at the curb. All needed some minor attention, but none needed any parts. I have them saved for when my grandkids can ride them.
Yup. I refurbished a give-away 24" wheeled 1x7 suspension bike to give from one neighbor to another. So many parts beat-in or bent, such soft steel. It is working now.

I still re-assemble 3 or 4 boxed kids bikes for neighbors, as I did this summer. Factory assembly isn't good, brakes not working, derailleur hangers or claws bent, uneven spoke tension, poorly welded seatpost clamp ears...
Old 09-22-20, 01:54 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Online order only? That makes more sense then, but it's not really a Walmart bike then is it?

I wanted to buy a $99 fixed gear there once. I think it was called "Thruster", pretty well known. Cash in my pocket, all psyched up to pull the trigger, but when I got there and had a close look at it I just couldn't do it.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-22-20, 02:42 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Even if the WalMart bike was decent, the assembly of it by WalMart would be iffy t the least if not downright dangerous.

Cheers
You'd be right if they were assembled by WalMart staff or one of their vendors. But they aren't. They're shipped direct to consumer after being fully assembled like what Bikes Direct does. This is a different approach WalMart is taking.

But it's still a WalMart bike because it was developed by people familiar with the mass merchant marketplace and with WalMart. WalMart works very closely with their vendors during product development. They have a very strong say in things. But it's still a different approach; this vendor is not like the "Pacifics" of the mass merchant world. Would I buy one? Not sure. I'd like to see how their carbon QA/QC is. If Leuscher Technik could buy ten random samples and test them, I'd LOVE to see the results!

Are WalMart bikes good? Depends on a lot. But in general, the average quality of a WalMart bike is very low. Poor assembly drops them down even further.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 09-22-20, 03:47 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Note the OP asked about decent, not high end bikes.
"Decent" bikes does not necessarily mean or require "high end" except perhaps to those people involved in selling or promoting "high end" bikes.
The link that was posted (https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...lmart-viathon/) says Walmart now has high end bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.