Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fall cycling clothing

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fall cycling clothing

Old 09-22-20, 03:49 PM
Trobinson986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fall cycling clothing

I live in NYC and have been cycling all summer. I bought a TCR in March and have been loving the sport since. It’s beginning to get cold in nyc and I want to ride as far into the fall as I can. What sort of kit do you guys recommend for the colder weather. So far, I have a couple of kits. All summer warm weather kits. 1 from cafe du cycliste, one Rapha and one from ASSOS. I have a rain/wind breaker from Cafe Du Cycliste. What do you guys recommend for the cooler weather. I’d like to get tights I can wear under my bibs so I can just wear my summer bibs with the tights. Is that realistic? What is best??
Old 09-22-20, 04:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Tights under bibs?
Just get some full leg or 3/4 leg bibs. Or buy any of the various brands of knee warmers and leg warmers. Put those on first, then bibs.

Tights under bibs would make for a swampy and wiggly saddle experience.

Warmers cost $15-75, depending on brand. Based on your 2 kits, you will want something in the higher range. Rapha sells em...
Old 09-22-20, 04:54 PM
Trobinson986

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about jackets. I have a rain/windbreaker but I feel Like it may get Hot and unbreathable - can someone advise?
Old 09-22-20, 04:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I start putting on knee warmers around 60F. Full leg warmers in the 40s. Below that I'll wear unlined tights over bibs.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-22-20, 04:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Trobinson986
What about jackets. I have a rain/windbreaker but I feel Like it may get Hot and unbreathable - can someone advise?
Jackets have never worked for me. I'll usually go with a windvest over a SS jersey and armwarmers. Or LS jersey and thin baselayer, depending.
Old 09-22-20, 05:04 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Trobinson986
I live in NYC and have been cycling all summer. I bought a TCR in March and have been loving the sport since. It’s beginning to get cold in nyc and I want to ride as far into the fall as I can. What sort of kit do you guys recommend for the colder weather. So far, I have a couple of kits. All summer warm weather kits. 1 from cafe du cycliste, one Rapha and one from ASSOS. I have a rain/wind breaker from Cafe Du Cycliste. What do you guys recommend for the cooler weather. I’d like to get tights I can wear under my bibs so I can just wear my summer bibs with the tights. Is that realistic? What is best??
I live in Manhattan and in the process of buying things for fall and winter too. I have plenty of long tights but need tops. I would get heavier tights like WOLACO which is based in Manhattan and a long sleeve merino base layer and a jacket rated to 40 degrees. Long finger gloves like Castelli or Gore and you should be fine in NYC. Merino socks are a great idea. I like Darn Tough the best.

Where do you ride?
Old 09-22-20, 06:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
OP: you've gotten good advice regarding tights, knee and leg warmers, and etc. Wind jackets are like wearing trash bags while riding - avoid them. Use layers to stay warm enough, and add a rain shell only if it's raining.

For a fall and spring jersey (and winter, with appropriate base layer and/or outer layer), this is the best I have ever used. Thought I would mention it since you already have some Rapha. Mine is a brighter color, but they all have reflective stripes (for safety when sunset comes earlier), there are lots of pockets for carrying snacks and outer layers (in case it gets colder), and the fit is perfect for adding layers underneath - snug enough but not too tight.
Old 09-22-20, 07:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I'm Long Long Island and ride in the winter.

For the bottom, get a pair of running tights, you can wear them over your bibs.

For the top you want to mix and match layers. Sleeveless shirt, short sleeve shirt and a good light weight winter jacket. Even in 30* I just wear the 2 shirts, jersey and jacket.

Hands, I have fingerless, full finger, over gloves and winter gloves.

Leg warmers and arm warms complete my options.

Obviously I picked up everything over 5 years and the jacket was a $180 that I got at a Spring sale for $80.
Old 09-22-20, 07:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I got a Bontrager Circuit windbreaker a year ago and rode it thru the winter, typically over a DuoFold long sleeve and maybe also a long sleeve tee over that. It worked very well, but is probably a bit low end for you based on the other kit you have. The jacket was fine down to 32F and below that it is my hands that ask me to stay home, anyway, not arms or torso.

Otto
Old 09-22-20, 08:46 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
For the fall 40deg or so I put sweat pants over bibs and a windbreaker jacket. Thinsulate gloves with chemical handwarmers and those bootie thingies over my shoes with chemical handwarmers stuffed into them. Once it gets really cold I'm going to wear a level 32 Zwift summer kit and turn the fans on.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 09-22-20, 09:34 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I like the Castelli Perfetto convertible. Can detach the long sleeves when warmed up and wear as a good-fitting SS. Also somewhat rain repellant, though can get soaked through in a downpour.

I'm also a fan of the Dissent 133 glove system, again because of the versatility. Riding long enough, the weather conditions change and I need my gear to handle warming up or cooling down.
Old 09-23-20, 06:09 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts

Mudguards on, couple layers of wool and a cap.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-23-20, 06:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I start putting on knee warmers around 60F. Full leg warmers in the 40s. Below that I'll wear unlined tights over bibs.
During my recent tour I started some mornings in the 40s wearing bibs and leg warmers. I was fine.

I know a lot of people who dress to be comfortable while standing in the parking lot waiting for a ride to start. They don’t consider that exercise generates heat and that it will likely warm up early into the ride.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-23-20, 06:55 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
During my recent tour I started some mornings in the 40s wearing bibs and leg warmers. I was fine.

I know a lot of people who dress to be comfortable while standing in the parking lot waiting for a ride to start. They don’t consider that exercise generates heat and that it will likely warm up early into the ride.
I was told to dress for 10 miles out.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-23-20, 08:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Most of us who ride throughout the year end up with a pick-an-outfit collection of cold weather gear. Start with knee warmers, a jacket, long finger gloves*, and ear warmers. Down below 40F, tights, warmer gloves*. Wool socks (like hiking socks) make an appearance somewhere in there.

*Special note on gloves. You can order most things on line, but getting gloves right is easier if you try them on in your local bike shop (or other store). Sizes are all over the place, one brand's L is another's XXL. Some east Asian produced makers apparently don't believe anyone has fingers larger than the average American 6th grader. Temperature range also varies widely. "Cold weather" gloves are only descriptive in that it means less than 70F. What I consider fine for dry 30F weather, some people consider appropriate for 45F, while others may thing they're OK for 20F. Buy a cool weather pair, and when it gets too cold for that pair, go looking for something warmer.
(end mini-rant)
Old 09-23-20, 11:02 AM
BlackMambaNYC
GO LAKERS

Bikes: 2020 Supersix EVO 105, 2020 TBT Single Speed

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Working on my fall/winter gear as well. Picked up a pair of full-length bib tights and a long-sleeve jersey last week. Seems to keep me warm enough to ride down to about 50 degree F or so, without a base layer. Next purchase will be a long-sleeve merino base layer which should add a little warmth. I'm noticing my toes are cold so need some warmer socks and will likely add a deep winter base layer next and finally a jacket if I'm still down as it goes below 40.
Old 09-23-20, 11:07 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Midtown here. Yesterday I wore regular bike shorts and a long sleeve jersey, today I wore regular bike shorts and a very thin base shirt under a summer jersey. For windy fall days, a windproof jacket that fits in your jersey pocket is good.
Old 09-23-20, 11:09 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Layers are good, but if it's going to be fairly cold for the entire ride, a softshell jersey can't be beat. I've got one from sportful that sees a lot of use from Octorber to May.
Old 09-23-20, 11:11 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Midtown here. Yesterday I wore regular bike shorts and a long sleeve jersey, today I wore regular bike shorts and a very thin base shirt under a summer jersey. For windy fall days, a windproof jacket that fits in your jersey pocket is good.
UES here, I live on 5th across from the reservoir.
Old 09-23-20, 11:18 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Why not ride cold? You always warm up right? I'm in a tank top and shorts biking to work, and it's getting into the high 50's here. Less sweaty when I get to work, but I still have to wipe down.

Cold exposure will upregulate irisin which will upregulate thermogenin(UCP1, uncoupling protein 1) in the mitochondria which will convert white fat to metabolically brown fat(baby fat). You're literally turning the clock backwards on fat with cold exposure. It's free. You're biking anyways...
Likes For burritos:
Old 09-23-20, 11:25 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
tights, wool jersey and fleece vest are the basics. wool socks , good gloves and ear warmers are good ideas also. Best to remain flexible, any one layer should not be too warm by itself so that you can adjust mid ride. A good sized bag on the bike makes changing layers easier.
Old 09-23-20, 06:11 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
FWIW, I purchased a set of fleece-lined riding pants and long sleeved jersey on eBay (probably from China) and I love 'em. I can comfortably ride down in 40 to 45 degrees F with only a single layer of clothing on. Best part is they feel all fuzzy on the inside For mid range temps, like 50s and low 60s, I have removable sleeves for my legs and arms so I can peal them off when I start to get warm.
Old 09-24-20, 05:49 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
Fall riding (down to upper 30's, no wind):
- long-finger gloves (not insulated) (don't need to be cycling-specific)
- toe warmers (some people use shoe covers)
- mid-weight tights (don't need to be cycling-specific, but the cycling-specific ones are often designed to fit better when crouched over - as in riding a bike with drop bars)
- arm and knee and/or leg warmers
- thin beanie (I like wool) that covers my ears
- wind barrier, loose enough so that you can wear layers underneath (I have an inexpensive PI wind breaker)
- insulating layers (long sleeve jersey, light sweater, wool/polypro long sleeve base layer, and the like - I have a wide variety of weights and materials (but NO COTTON) from cycling, skiing and hiking/camping/backpacking)
This covers most eventualities, I choose what to wear based on current temp. and forecasted temp. during the ride. Arm/knee warmers if it's going to warm quickly, wind barrier/insulating layer/tights if temp.s will stay cool. Various insulating layers of various weights depending on conditions.
Note: having a bag (trunk bag, handlebar bag, frame bag, etc.) in which to stuff excess clothing if temps rise is a plus, but not required. I usually make do stuffing excess clothes in my jersey pockets (or I just sweat from wearing slightly too much clothing).

I personally don't need a face covering until it is well below freezing (I have a beard), but many would add a light balaclava to wear under their helmet (replacing the beanie listed above) to keep their face warm.
Old 09-24-20, 08:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Progressive layering as most have suggested. It has taken me decades to learn how to not overdress.

- anything above 70 degrees: summer wear as appropriate and comfortable
- 60 to 70: summer wear, start with arm warmers then remove them

- 50 to 60: the sweet spot for riding. Thin tech long sleeve underlayer with summer jersey overtop. Or a light long sleeve jersey. Possibly leg warmers, depending on whether there's sun or not. Maybe a cycling cap beneath helmet. It's removable if too warm. Maybe a wind vest in a pocket if the sun hides and the wind picks up. Possibly light full finger gloves.
- 40 to 50: fall wear that includes light long tights, tech long sleeve underlayer and light long sleeve jersey. Light convertible jacket with removable sleeves as an outer wind blocker. Warmer full finger gloves, light beanie or earband beneath helmet. Maybe light shoe covers.

- 30 to 40: winter wear that includes heavier long tights, tech long sleeve underlayer and fleece lined or wool jersey. Light convertible jacket as wind blocker. Possibly a light wind stop pant over the tights, depending. Two-layers of gloves - insulating inner pair (wool or neoprene) and wind stop outer shell or mitt. Warmer knit cap and helmet cover to block wind.
- 20 to 30: winter wear as above, but change to heavier wind stop pants over the tights, and add balaclava over the cap beneath the helmet with a warmer insulated shell mitten over the gloves. Swap the convertible jacket for a Wind-Tek cycling jacket. Alternate to the warmer shell mitten is to install my BarMitts, which are really fabulous. Neoprene booties over shoes, wool socks.

- Beneath 20: rarely happens here in Northern VA, but then simply swap in warmer items for the tights, tech layer and the knit cap. Keep rides to under 1 hour.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 09-24-20 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-24-20, 08:50 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Don't forget to look all "Pumpkin Spice" for fall fashion

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.