Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any fellow Fuji fans out there?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20, 07:33 PM
Bicicletta89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I got my first road bike (first of any bike since college) last June because I wanted to get around during the plague with less public transit and DC is very bike-friendly. It’s a 1970s Fuji Gran Tourer which I loved right off the bat. Sad to see that they don’t get a lot of love around here.

I know the Gran Tourer wasn’t a high-end performance model but it seems fine to me and I can get around fairly quickly on it. The build quality seems fantastic as far as I can tell. I realize $420 was probably a bit overpriced but it’s in fantastic shape (I’m only the third owner), the pandemic has REALLY put the squeeze on the bike market (at least here in Washington), and I thought I should get one I could try out for fit (would hate to order something really expensive and find out on arrival it was too big or too small)...all the charts put me on a 56-58cm frame but really 54cm is just right for me.

I use it for commuting, pleasure riding, exercise, and the like. So far haven’t gone on a ride more than ten miles each way but feel like I could go much further.

I love how it looks and how it rides, but do I just not know anything better? Would springing for a fancier faster vintage bike have made a huge difference? I need fenders and a rack so I figured anything racier might not have that huge of a weight difference anyhow after all that.

Any other Fuji Gran Tourer riders out there? What’s your experience been?

Old 10-02-20, 08:15 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicicletta89
Sad to see that they don’t get a lot of love around here.
Oh, they do. It’s possible you haven’t been with us long enough yet. Here’s a thread that is 9 years strong and 41 pages and counting dedicated to vintage Fujis: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ings-fuji.html

Your bike is awesome and just the type many of us like here. Not high end sure, but not entry level and definitely quality. For commuting around DC you’re not likely to find much in a steel frame that will make a big difference to you compared to your Fuji.

I personally would get rid of the kickstand, reflectors and fork disc, swap the stem shifters for bar end or down tube, and maybe swap the rack for a more streamlined looking one, perhaps from Velo Orange or some such.

The first bike I ever overhauled was a 1981 Fuji Royale.

Last edited by polymorphself; 10-02-20 at 08:23 PM.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 10-02-20, 08:24 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures. That is a nice looking bike. Fuji's get plenty of love around here. I like the fenders, racks and lights. Good thing to have, especially when you are riding daily and can't account for weather.

As you point out, this is not a fancy top of the line bike, however, even the bottom end Fuji's are well made and came with good components.

The seat does not look original. Which is ok, seats often get changed to obtain comfort. It looks like leather. If it is comfortable keep it. If it is not comfortable, give it some time to break in, apply some neatsfoot oil or other leather treatment and see how it goes.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 10-02-20, 08:45 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Interesting fireplace.

Have had a '71-ish Fuji Finest for about 15 years and 3 or 4 configurations. Has been through many miles and 3 Seagulls with me. Even saw me safely over a very bewildered groundhog who darted in front of me, and then past a motivated pit bull about two minutes later. At one point, I was thinking of downsizing (perish the thought). I thought it through that if I were to go down by one bike, that would be it - but, if I could only have one bike - that would also be it.
Old 10-03-20, 05:27 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
I picked up this 1979 Gran Tourer years ago. It was still new in the box in 2008. While not a weight weenie bike I found it to be a comfy rider. I’m sure it makes a nice commuting bike.

A coworker currently owns it.

Old 10-03-20, 06:16 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
Meh, they're "OK"......

Recently completed:

Still to do:

NOS 1982, almost have all the pieces, everything is NOS or period correct in appearance new except the crankset and it looks like nearly new:

And "gone but not forgotten":

This one was over 20 years ago, I had to have the saddle and bars much lower to ride it, this was fresh off the work stand. I miss this one but no way I could ride it now.

Old 10-03-20, 06:34 AM
WT160

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I had a blue Fuji s12s that I liked a lot. It was heavy, but very well made and rode great. It was a little too big for me, though, and I had trouble with sharp turns, so I sold it last spring.
Old 10-03-20, 07:42 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Last fall, my local bike shop did a clinic on refurbing an old road bike, so I asked what they had in the back. The only two bikes in my size were a Fuji Gran Tourer and an S12-S LTD. The Gran Tourer was better cosmetically, but I thought the S12-S was a diamond in the rough, so I bought it. Over the winter and spring, I stripped off the homemade decals and rattle-can paint and started over. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Fuji Gran Tourer

Fuji S12-S LTD (before)

Fuji S12-S LTD (after)
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 10-03-20, 08:14 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Last fall, my local bike shop did a clinic on refurbing an old road bike, so I asked what they had in the back. The only two bikes in my size were a Fuji Gran Tourer and an S12-S LTD. The Gran Tourer was better cosmetically, but I thought the S12-S was a diamond in the rough, so I bought it. Over the winter and spring, I stripped off the homemade decals and rattle-can paint and started over. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Fuji Gran Tourer

Fuji S12-S LTD (before)

Fuji S12-S LTD (after)
One of the most underrated models I've seen is the S12-S
Rode next to, ahead of, and behind one on @rhm's La'Hombra, Phil_gretz ?
Fuji, in my experience = smooth overall.
As they transitioned to alumin-carbon and then carbon, they stayed smooth.

When one of my friends finally rec'd his citizenship, I built him a bike.
Old 10-03-20, 08:53 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
League Fuji

Nobody looks twice as paint is bad, but it rode very well. Stopped locking it up unless I was in a bar or away from it for a long time. Only "issue" was that the rear brake bridge seems very low which prevents a wider selection of tires. Unfortunately, if I have the bridge raised I'd need a re-paint or powder coat so now it's time for it to ride off....

As regular rider with tubulars and Brooks (and yes I know the tires didn't match...)

For sale as I've upgraded, but I do have an Espree that will be my winter bike
Likes For WGB:
Old 10-03-20, 09:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Fuji was one of the Big Four of Japanese bicycles manufacturers, which also included Bridgestone, Miyata and Panasonic. All were full range, mass volume manufacturers that offered very good value for the money, though some members have issues with some of Bridgestone's quirky designs. There is lots of love for all of these Big Four on the forums.

The most important upgrade to the bicycle has already been made;. the switch to new wheels with aluminum rims. This drops a lot of rotating weight and improve braking, particularly in the wet. One of the problems with upgrading to a another bicycle is that the lighter bicycles are typically sportier, which means they may not have eyelets for racks and fenders, and tyre clearance for commuting friendly wide tyres and fenders is usually compromised. Lighter bicycles aren't that much faster, except during acceleration and climbing. To get much lighter, and maintain the Rack, fender and wide tyre capability, you're probably going to have to step up to a fairly expensive grand touring model. Higher end hybrids and ATBs can also make good, relatively lightweight commuters. However, I'd wait until after the pandemic has subsided and prices dropped and selection improved..

Right now, the only thing I'd do, is start switching to taking your overall pictures from the drive side, so that members can see the drive train.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-04-20, 08:16 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts

The Berkeley lost about ten pounds in my rebuild. I replaced all the steel I could with alloy.
Old 10-04-20, 08:51 AM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Oh, they do. It’s possible you haven’t been with us long enough yet. Here’s a thread that is 9 years strong and 41 pages and counting dedicated to vintage Fujis: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ings-fuji.html

Your bike is awesome and just the type many of us like here. Not high end sure, but not entry level and definitely quality. For commuting around DC you’re not likely to find much in a steel frame that will make a big difference to you compared to your Fuji.

I personally would get rid of the kickstand, reflectors and fork disc, swap the stem shifters for bar end or down tube, and maybe swap the rack for a more streamlined looking one, perhaps from Velo Orange or some such.

The first bike I ever overhauled was a 1981 Fuji Royale.

Thanks! I’m really enjoying the bike.

That Royale is beautiful. Red paint with chrome accents and white bar tape is always a classic look. I love it.

yeah, I’ve since ditched the reflectors. What is a fork disc? Yeah, pletschers are clunky but the mousetrap is so practical (haven’t needed a bungee yet) and I do have a real soft spot for their looks. (Plus I got this one for $5!) Those VO ones sure are pretty though and would go well with this bike for sure.

Downtube shifters are a good idea. As I’ve gotten more comfortable riding in the drops I’ve found that when I’m in the drops reaching up to the stem is a little more awkward than reach to the downtube would be. If I ever start spending most of my time in the drops that may be the way to go. However, being higher up on the hoods does make it easier for me to have a wider field of vision while riding in traffic.

That Fuji thread is a great resource. Thanks!
Old 10-04-20, 08:53 AM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by Mr. 66

The Berkeley lost about ten pounds in my rebuild. I replaced all the steel I could with alloy.
Wow! Yeah, mine came with one aluminum wheel in front and a 70s steel wheel in back. Replaced it with a new polished aluminum wheel from Velo Orange. I’m amazed at what a difference even just one wheel made.

Planning on getting a matching VO wheel for the front. They aren’t cheap, but I really dig the high flange and old school polished finish.
Old 10-04-20, 09:01 AM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Fuji was one of the Big Four of Japanese bicycles manufacturers, which also included Bridgestone, Miyata and Panasonic. All were full range, mass volume manufacturers that offered very good value for the money, though some members have issues with some of Bridgestone's quirky designs. There is lots of love for all of these Big Four on the forums.

The most important upgrade to the bicycle has already been made;. the switch to new wheels with aluminum rims. This drops a lot of rotating weight and improve braking, particularly in the wet. One of the problems with upgrading to a another bicycle is that the lighter bicycles are typically sportier, which means they may not have eyelets for racks and fenders, and tyre clearance for commuting friendly wide tyres and fenders is usually compromised. Lighter bicycles aren't that much faster, except during acceleration and climbing. To get much lighter, and maintain the Rack, fender and wide tyre capability, you're probably going to have to step up to a fairly expensive grand touring model. Higher end hybrids and ATBs can also make good, relatively lightweight commuters. However, I'd wait until after the pandemic has subsided and prices dropped and selection improved..

Right now, the only thing I'd do, is start switching to taking your overall pictures from the drive side, so that members can see the drive train.
That’s what I figured wrt lighter bikes. I have no interest in racing, so that minimal difference makes no real difference to me. As it is, I can get around reasonably quickly without lots of sweatiness or fatigue so that’s good for me. And I do love the aesthetics of this bike.

Right there with you on the wheels. Came with one steel wheel in back and it was so much heavier. Even just riding it over some wet grass once decreased braking power enough to freak me out. Would’ve been way worse in the rain.

Drive train action!

Old 10-04-20, 09:03 AM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by WGB
League Fuji

Nobody looks twice as paint is bad, but it rode very well. Stopped locking it up unless I was in a bar or away from it for a long time. Only "issue" was that the rear brake bridge seems very low which prevents a wider selection of tires. Unfortunately, if I have the bridge raised I'd need a re-paint or powder coat so now it's time for it to ride off....

As regular rider with tubulars and Brooks (and yes I know the tires didn't match...)

For sale as I've upgraded, but I do have an Espree that will be my winter bike
That light blue is a great color. Haven’t seen that one before.
Old 10-04-20, 09:05 AM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Thanks for posting pictures. That is a nice looking bike. Fuji's get plenty of love around here. I like the fenders, racks and lights. Good thing to have, especially when you are riding daily and can't account for weather.

As you point out, this is not a fancy top of the line bike, however, even the bottom end Fuji's are well made and came with good components.

The seat does not look original. Which is ok, seats often get changed to obtain comfort. It looks like leather. If it is comfortable keep it. If it is not comfortable, give it some time to break in, apply some neatsfoot oil or other leather treatment and see how it goes.
Thanks! Yeah, the seat is a Brooks I bought and put on. The previous owner had a faux leather Gyes saddle that was pretty new, but it was uncomfortable and the pleather would flake off at the slightest little scratch.
Old 10-04-20, 02:48 PM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
My first new bike was a 1975 Fuji Special Tourer. Great bike...if I can find one local...I'm buying it.
Likes For Gary in NJ:
Old 10-05-20, 09:05 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
@Bicycletta

Colour is "Sonic Blue"

Old 10-05-20, 09:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've had roughly two dozen Fuji bikes over the last 15 years or so. Several have been really nice riding bikes. I'm thinking of the 1982 Team with its sealed bearing hubs and anodized bronze rims. That was a surprisingly enjoyable bike. I also had a 1989 Club with Shimano light action gear on it (including BioPace chainrings), and it had a sporty feel and a solid ride. I recently had a beautiful Fuji America that rode much better than I had expected. Very nice.

They're all gone now, but I've kept my 1988 Saratoga as my overall tourer. Decent bike, for certain. I've developed a fondness for Fuji bikes, now, that I lacked because of unfamiliarity during their entry into the bike boom. Making up for lost time, I guess.
Old 10-05-20, 12:40 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts

I finally took my '78 Newest garage queen out for a 30 mile spin yesterday. It was long overdue.
Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 10-05-20, 03:38 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
I found this 1989 Club Fuji over 10 years ago at a yard sale. It was badly neglected, but all the pieces were there. When my son was 15, I passed it to him. He has it at college now. After a mishap with the downtube shift levers, I replaced the shift/brake levers with 105. It got a set of 8 speed wheels to go with the new levers. With the low initial price and frugal used parts shopping, I still have less than $100 in it.

My son's 1989 Club Fuji.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 10-05-20, 05:40 PM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
My 1st nice bike was a white S-10S in early 70's. Painted it twice and frame still hanging in the garage. I built up a Trek 720 touring frame in 1982 and use the Nitto bar and stem from the S-10S.
Also have this The Finest in my collection now along with another early S-10S. Sure miss my 84 Mt Fuji that I sold 30 years ago.

Still looking for correct saddle for this one. The frame is completely chromed with a translucent blue.

Likes For GMS:
Old 10-05-20, 08:56 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I wish I could have kept this one. But, If I kept all my favorite bikes forever then I'd have to store at least two dozen bikes somewhere.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 10-05-20, 10:52 PM
cv350

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
My first Fuji was a pre-owned S12-S. It was a Craigslist find and was in mint condition. I later sold it to a friend, and would say the S12-S rekindled my interest in classic & vintage bikes.

This Opus III is my current project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.