Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My SBDU pick-up - Lots of history to undo

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My SBDU pick-up - Lots of history to undo

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 11:46 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Personally, I'm a big fan of the Success (and most things Huret) and I use one on the bike where I put my "favorite things". It works well and is unusual. But I didn't want to push my bias on to La Brea Bike . I'm not a collector or stickler for originality but I understand that it is very important to some folks.
Old 10-03-20, 11:52 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Newbaum's standard black cloth. Use water and stretch it during installation to get a wrinkle-free result.

-Kurt
Just ordered four rolls! As always, thanks for the guidance!
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 10-04-20, 09:04 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
Just ordered four rolls! As always, thanks for the guidance!
FYI, you'll probably be able to get away with a single roll per side, unless you're double-rolling it.

-Kurt

Old 10-04-20, 01:00 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
c

Did you see the throw-in?
I was just walking around the course and taking photos. I don't recall seeing any of the finishes... kind of a shame, I suppose. It was a pretty fun day, regardless.

Nice SRC/Raleigh bottle! I don't suppose anyone is still making those??

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-04-20, 07:33 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Nice SRC/Raleigh bottle! I don't suppose anyone is still making those??

Steve in Peoria
This is an original Specialized piece. Even though I run the FB Levis-Raleigh page, it's depressingly clear that SRC is a niche interest at best in this day in age. It wouldn't be profitable to remake any SRC branded stuff at this time.
Old 10-05-20, 09:31 AM
steelbikeguy

This is an original Specialized piece. Even though I run the FB Levis-Raleigh page, it's depressingly clear that SRC is a niche interest at best in this day in age. It wouldn't be profitable to remake any SRC branded stuff at this time.
The SRC was oddly stealthy even back in the day, at least that was my perspective as someone who read Bicycling magazine in the day. Folks who were reading Velonews (or the equivalent) might have a better knowledge of the domestic teams of the era.

As an enthusiast, I did pick up a Michael's Cyclery sweatshirt back in the day, and have somehow managed to still own it...

somewhere around the year 2000, I managed to pick up a nice Raleigh International as well as the Raleigh Team frame. That was an incentive to pick up a few old Raleigh jerseys on ebay. One of these was a Levi's-Raleigh/SRC jersey.

It's a bit large on me, but is fun to wear when riding the Team bike.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-05-20, 10:28 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
The SRC was oddly stealthy even back in the day, at least that was my perspective as someone who read Bicycling magazine in the day. Folks who were reading Velonews (or the equivalent) might have a better knowledge of the domestic teams of the era.
Perhaps you can shed some light on this then. I ran across this photo of Nelson Vails riding in what appears to be Levis-Raleigh SRC colors - and I believe I narrowed down the color scheme on the bike to '87 (not 100% sure it's a standard production Team replica or SBDU of the time though). Could barely find anything else though. Most searches about Vails brings up his track career.

-Kurt

Old 10-05-20, 10:45 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by cudak888
Perhaps you can shed some light on this then. I ran across this photo of Nelson Vails riding in what appears to be Levis-Raleigh SRC colors - and I believe I narrowed down the color scheme on the bike to '87 (not 100% sure it's a standard production Team replica or SBDU of the time though). Could barely find anything else though. Most searches about Vails brings up his track career.

-Kurt
boy.. I really don't know anything about that period. If you are on the Classic Rendezvous google group, you might ask Scott Calhoun. When I wore the Levi's-Raleigh jersey at the 2016 CR event, he came over and chatted, saying that he knew the jersey from seeing Nelson Vails wearing it. I think he bumped into Nelson at an event not too many years ago.
Clearly, my jersey and the jersey in the photo of Nelson are similar with some differences. Sorry I can't offer more help.

A curious detail about my jersey is that it is synthetic, but feels rather thick and rubbery compared to modern synthetic jerseys. Maybe I'm imagining it, but the jersey in the photo of Nelson has a similar look.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-05-20, 04:38 PM
La Brea Bike

Here's one of Nelson at the Venice Crit in '85...
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 10-05-20, 06:14 PM
La Brea Bike

Oh man, when I uploaded that pic, I saw it in large format for the first time. He's rocking the random water bottle I scored on eBay early this year. I have a ton of team pics and had never seen one in use...

Last edited by La Brea Bike; 10-05-20 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 06:47 PM
steelbikeguy

diverging a bit into the subject of Raleigh-ish water bottles... one of the best bike shops in the St. Louis area is Maplewood Bicycles. For some reason, they have a big collection of water bottles from the many decades that they have been in business. A few years ago, I stopped to take pictures of a number of them, including a few Raleigh themed ones....

this TI-Raleigh/Campagnolo bottle would be ideal for the classic Team bikes...

over on the far left is a Michael's Cyclery bottle (in black and white)

fourth from the right is a US Cycling Team / Raleigh USA bottle

Did I mention that the shop also has a TI Raleigh Team bike hanging up too? I wonder if they know the serial number.....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-05-20, 08:47 PM
La Brea Bike

diverging a bit into the subject of Raleigh-ish water bottles... one of the best bike shops in the St. Louis area is Maplewood Bicycles. For some reason, they have a big collection of water bottles from the many decades that they have been in business. A few years ago, I stopped to take pictures of a number of them, including a few Raleigh themed ones....

Steve in Peoria
Wow! Awesome collection!
Likes For La Brea Bike: