Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Between a fixed gear and a single speed bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 11:57 PM
IGH_Only

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

which would you choose and why?
Old 10-15-20, 01:43 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I'd buy a bike with a flip flop so I could have a few more teeth on the freewheel side..If were to convert an existing bike I'd go SS so I didn't need a new wheel.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-15-20, 05:37 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Single-speed. So I can coast when the opportunity to coast presents itself.
Old 10-15-20, 06:10 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I would choose a SS....why?....because I fear have the pedal "down" on the turn side......hitting the ground and getting launched.
Besides, I like coasting down a big hill after climbing it.....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 10-15-20, 06:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I had a bike with a flip/flop single freewheel/fixed sprocket many years ago. Rode the freewheel side once; stayed on the fixed side ever since.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-15-20, 06:22 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Many years ago I raced on a velodrome with an amateur racing club so of course that's fixed gear without any brakes. Of course as a teenager my racing bike was my everything bike so I commuted around the place fixed gear as well although I always fitted a front wheel brake for road use.
There's definitely something macho about going fixed gear but if your not racing on a velodrome then being able to coast is a very sensible and practical.

One minor advantage of being fixed gear is that its dead easy to do a standstill but if you have any hill descents to do then fixed gear can get pretty scary sometimes.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 10-15-20, 06:35 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've ridden fixed with a flip flop hub available for about a decade. I've never once wanted to switch to the single speed side. Why lose the benefit of riding fixed by coasting? That makes little sense to me. I prefer to spin when the situation calls for spinning. Spinning is fun, and the purpose of riding fixed is to broaden one's power band, no?

I also do use front and rear brakes for when the situation calls for trimming speed. I know that it's cheating, but I try not to skid unless it's an emergency.
Old 10-15-20, 06:55 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’ve switched back to only SS again. Factors include
1) easy conversion of existing wheels,
2) over 50 years experience with coasting and none with fixed,
3) I’ve been riding for the last few years on flat pedal without foot retention,
4) I’m trying to spend more time standing and this includes coasting downhill and
5) there are lots of sections of my rides where I want to stand and coast and negotiate challenging terrain and circumstances where I don’t want to also still be pedaling.

All that said, I have some interest in building wheels with wider rims to run 700x38 on my Schwinn, so I may build a rear wheel with flip/flop hub that gives me the chance to try out riding fixed.

Otto
Old 10-15-20, 07:06 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Single Speed, for the opportunity to coast while standing on the pedals over rougher ground.
Old 10-15-20, 07:12 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
So for those of you who do ride a FG/SS bike, what gearing are you set up with for rolling terrain where you might climb 400 to 700 feet in 1 to 2 miles?

Not too many flat areas where I live unless I go to MUPS.
Old 10-15-20, 07:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

46 x 17T fixed. It's a compromise. The more variation, the more frequently the gear will feel "not right'. This isn't really so, of course. It's just that steeper inclines and declines will require greater adaptation from your muscles. There's nothing wrong about that.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-15-20, 07:40 AM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I've ridden fixed with a flip flop hub available for about a decade. I've never once wanted to switch to the single speed side. Why lose the benefit of riding fixed by coasting? That makes little sense to me.
I've never ridden one, so I have to ask: What are the benefits of fixed gear? Fixed gear bikes only became popular around here in the last decade so maybe I have missed out having not grown up with them.
Old 10-15-20, 07:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
So for those of you who do ride a FG/SS bike, what gearing are you set up with for rolling terrain where you might climb 400 to 700 feet in 1 to 2 miles?

400' in 1 mile is a 7.5% grade.
700' in 1 mile is a 13.25% grade.
400' in 2 miles is a 3.75% grade.
700' in 2 miles is a 6.6% grade

We live in very different places, but the rolling terrain around me doesnt equal 700' in 1 mile. Thats called just straight tough climbing and even then the hills arent 1 mile long.
I have no idea what sort of single speed gearing works to climb 13% grades that would at all be useful for the rest of the ride.
I used to have a single speed road bike with 48/18 gearing and 3-4% grades were commonly ridden.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-15-20, 07:46 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I've never ridden one, so I have to ask: What are the benefits of fixed gear? Fixed gear bikes only became popular around here in the last decade so maybe I have missed out having not grown up with them.
Benefits? Fixed gear bikes are raced on velodromes. They are out and out primal racing machines and its very macho to ride around on a "thoroughbred" racing machine.
If your into racing there are some benefits to train sometimes on a fixed gear bike even if you race the road but really its just about the "macho" factor.
Old 10-15-20, 07:46 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
fixed gear is badass. Single speed is for beach cruisers and townies.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-15-20, 07:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Benefits? Fixed gear bikes are raced on velodromes. They are out and out primal racing machines and its very macho to ride around on a "thoroughbred" racing machine.
If your into racing there are some benefits to train sometimes on a fixed gear bike even if you race the road but really its just about the "macho" factor.

LOL That rules me out! I wouldn't be fooling anyone if I tried to be macho.
Old 10-15-20, 07:50 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
most bikes that will do one will do the other just as well. it's not really an either/or question. this thread says nothing about where and how OP plans to ride the bike, so it's kind of pointless.
personally, I ride a SS 29er hardtail on trails. for the trails where I live, it's not ideal, but I enjoy the challenge. riding like that fixed would be a challenge too, but would require so much time and effort (and blood and broken bones) that I don't think it would be worth it.

I rode fixed on the road for a little while. trying to control my speed with pedal pressure and just a front brake killed my knees—as in, months of pain and physical therapy so I could do normal things like walk up stairs and ride a bike again without excruciating pain. I could probably have gotten back into it and conditioned myself to endure it, but I just lost interest after that. it's not my kind of "fun." riding a freewheel and coasting when I feel like it filled me with joy, which is the only reason anyone should choose anything on a bike. it's a personal preference and I make no claim that any choice is better than another, but I have no tolerance for the macho BS that people throw around to make me feel like a quitter or something.

most of my road/gravel bikes since then have been SS since. I'm building a SS gravel bike right now with an eccentric PF bottom bracket. no tensioner, no sliding dropouts, no hanger on the frame. 650x47 tires and a 42/17 gear for stomping hills and singletrack.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 10-15-20 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 08:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
LOL That rules me out! I wouldn't be fooling anyone if I tried to be macho.
IMO, the people fooling themselves are those who think that riding a fixed gear bicycle will improve their "macho" factor/status/image to anyone but themselves.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-15-20, 08:49 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I know a guy that used to ride up Cougar Mtn (just outside Seattle) on his flip/flop hubbed bike. He would switch over at the top. He can't do it anymore -- knees.

OP may need to change his ID...
Old 10-15-20, 09:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

This is editorial and pejorative. Training on a fixed gear bike has longstanding traditions and real reasons. It has to do with adaptations of your muscles to working outside the normal narrow power band, broadening the rpm range where the rider must apply power. It also requires/facilitates a more circular pedaling stroke, another adaptation over time. Google "souplesse".
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-15-20, 09:35 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I know a guy that used to ride up Cougar Mtn (just outside Seattle) on his flip/flop hubbed bike. He would switch over at the top. He can't do it anymore -- knees.

OP may need to change his ID...
Totally badass. Have ridden that in first gear, gasping. And that was 30 years ago. Sure he didn’t have an early e bike?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-15-20, 09:52 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR

I run 42/16 which is 71 gear inches on 700x32 and 68 gear inches on 26x2.0. I manage roughly that amount of hill work on my hilly rides and it is fairly strenuous. I could see running a 40/16 (67 gear inches on 700C) if all I did were hilly routes.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-15-20, 01:53 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Fixed gear is great for having your dog run beside you while you ride.
Old 10-15-20, 03:12 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
fixed gear is badass. Single speed is for beach cruisers and townies.
Im not badass enough for FG and do like training on my SS.
Im amazed at some of the FG guys, without brakes, that just take feet off pedals for the steep descents and it looks like the pedals are rotating 150rpm+ ?
Old 10-15-20, 03:15 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Fixies are macho? Funny that the All City Macho Man is a multi-speed bike, then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.