Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Building a Rabeneick 120d...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-17, 09:46 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts

I asked, in another thread, if anyone knows anything about Rabeneick bicycles. The bike I have is a 1958 Rabeneick 120d and I got it as a frame set. In addition to the thread asking for Rabeneick information, there is also another one about painting such a frame. Both might add something to this build thread.

Today, just an hour ago, the Rabeneick and I went for a nice ride on my cottage route, a 9.8km circle that starts at my cottage and ends there, hence the reference to a circle. The bike, which is now called Rab, is set up as a singe speed. I do not invest much time, effort and cash until I have test ridden a bike and that is what this old German bike and I did today - a test ride...

It took but a short while to determine that the frame set's integrity had not been compromised and riding with little or no hand pressure was a non-issue. Through inspection and, now, testing, I feel comfortable that the frame set is "on the money", so to speak. To that add that the frame set feels to be a very good fit...

The bike is set-up as a single speed, for this part of its build, even though the Gran Sport derailleurs are presently fitted to the bike - part of a collecting parts process...

The bars fitted and the steering stem will, most likely, become a permanent feature but, who knows, something more appropriate might show up one day(part of the fun of building up these older bikes, imo)...

I ensure that the bike is road worthy and safe to ride and safe to ride begins with being able to stop. I don't have a set of Universal brakes that will fit the bike. My dramatically diminished stash did, however, offer up a set of Weinmann side pulls that will do the job, though they are anything but period or model correct. And, to be honest, they don't really work all that great, suggesting new pads might be warranted...

Being a Brooks fan and happening to have a Brooks Pro on hand, it seemed reasonable to go the Brooks route. I am not sure if this will remain, though. The saddle creaks darn nearly as badly as I do these days...

Anyway, the ride was satisfying and has given me the confidence to go forward with the build. Sadly, it is getting cold out and Jamaica is less than a month, or so, away.

On a side note, got a bike from the dump, yesterday, that my wife just loves. Though a tad small, for me, it is just great for another fellow I know...

Old 10-05-17, 02:11 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Coming along nicely! Glad that you like it, as it means we get to see more of that bike.

Love the look of that Brooks, BTW.

Old 10-05-17, 04:32 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 87 Posts
There’s a happy kid. :-)
Old 10-06-17, 11:20 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
Thanks for the report Randy! Happy to see the little guy found a bike too.
Old 10-16-17, 11:27 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Been scrounging through the stash for period correct components, or as close to it as I can get without ca$h to spare. Though not the final build, it is the everything works build and will not change much, until next Spring when I get back to Canada...

I lucked out and found a set of brake calipers in the stash and these will, likely, be there in the final build. To make the reach needed, I had to improvise, filing a set of alloy washers into a wedge shape. And, lucky for me, the stash also coughed up a near NOS set of Scott M brake pads...

I chose to use this set of bars, for now...

...but fully intend to go back to those fitted on my test ride. Earlier Universal levers will take the place of those in place now(sorry, no picture at the moment).

I hope to swap out the Campy crank and bottom bracket, for a Stronglight cottered set that I have tucked away and just waiting for the perfect bike to fit it too. Again, no pictures of that crank but the cottered set takes my SPD pedals, a compromise on all of my vintage bikes...

The presently fitted front derailleur works just fine but it is most likely that I will swap it out for a push-rod style Gran Sport, which is sitting on the work bench right now. I even have the proper cable guide for it.

I already had a nice wheel set, fitted to another bike, but decided to use the set on the Rabeneick. I have a more appropriate set of wheels for the other bike, so why not. The set includes Campy high flange hubs, laced to Mavic tubulars and have already been proven to be strong and dependable...

The lovely old headbadge presents a wee problem, I think. The previous owner removed it and screwed it back into place. I do have the correct rivets to fit the badge properly, just hoping that the holes in the frame are not too much over-sized...

And that's about it for this old German bike, this year. Another week, or two, and it off to a warmer climate, hoping to get there just after hurricane season ends.

Next Spring, when I am satisfied that the bike is working perfectly, I will strip it down, paint it, pinstripe it and apply water slide decals, finished off with a clear top coat. But that is next Spring/Summer.
Old 10-16-17, 12:03 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Thanks for the update and the pictures! Looks good.

Old 10-23-17, 12:45 PM
randyjawa 

Some more stash searching and this and that has showed up to further the Rabeneick build.

Removed the Campy crank for a cottered Stronglight crank set but might go back to the Campy unit...

The drive is controlled by a Campagnolo Gran Sport transmission...

Put the GB bars and BF stem back on, fitting the bars with a set of slightly too old Universal brake levers. Chances are there will be some changes in this area, but for now, this is it...

My little mouse friend, Mickey, helped me assemble the bottom bracket...

Now, it is pretty much time to drop the bike and five others off at a local bike shop for winter storage. The shop collects vintage road bicycles, also, and welcomes any that I offer to put on display.
Old 10-23-17, 03:40 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Looks much better with that Stronglight!

Old 10-24-17, 08:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I would only say that it looks awful purty - to not qualify as a final build.

You perfectionists ------ sheeesh!
Old 10-24-17, 09:02 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Wonderful looking frame, and a great build! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I believe I'm familiar with most of the parts used, except for the BF stem. Any info on that?? I'll just assume it's not a Bike Forums custom job.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-24-17, 02:42 PM
randyjawa 

I believe I'm familiar with most of the parts used, except for the BF stem. Any info on that??
I have not seen another one like this one and I do have several BF stems...

[IMG]I believe I'm familiar with most of the parts used, except for the BF stem. Any info on that??[/IMG]

Old 08-10-18, 07:41 AM
randyjawa 

Well, I have reached the part of a build that I do not like - taking a perfectly good, looks no too bad, vintage road bicycle that works just fine, completely apart for paint work and the water slide decal set is in the mail, already - thanks Gus...

The head badge, screwed on with a couple of sheet metal screws and some double sided tape, came off with little difficulty. Luckily for me, the holes were not enlarged and I will be able to install the badge, after paint/art, using the correct fasteners(got a few left from the old days)...

And, now I am positive that the black is not original. Based on the fork over spray, of original color, the bike had a gold painted fork...

But, though not much evidence left, my guess is that the rest of the bike was a green/blue color. So, a blueish green frame with a gold fork or all gold. Which way to go...?

Old 08-10-18, 09:35 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
I say go for the gold! You would at least know that was one of the factory color choices. The "schwartz" is very handsome as well!
Old 08-10-18, 02:03 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa

This look is perfect, to me. I'd stay with the black, very classic.
Old 08-10-18, 04:26 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Have a look at this machine, if you haven't already. Gold and green, very pretty IMO.

Old 08-10-18, 05:25 PM
randyjawa 

Have a look at this machine, if you haven't already. Gold and green, very pretty IMO.
Nope, I missed that one and same year as the one that I have. The green works and there is that gold fork with matching head tube. Hmmm...
Old 08-25-19, 04:55 AM
randyjawa 

Well, I just set life and its gottabes demands aside for a day or two, intending for the fifth, tenth or what time, to paint the Rabeneick 120d frame and fork set. And I did it, or at least got at it. I must go to the city tomorrow to get a can or two of clear coat. After that, art and build. I do like the way that this is turning out and I did my best, with what I had to spend, to get the colors as close to original as I could...

Old 08-25-19, 11:06 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
The Rabeneick 120/Campagnolo are not all that rare in germany, but have a faithful group of admirers. Rabeneick was a rather large bike manufacturer in the once- bike capital Gütersloh iirc. Bit like the german Peugeot, really.
I guess many a young amateur started racing on onbe of those, they were sturdy and not too expensive. There also was a touring version with racks, fenders and a straight bar, quite unique to have such high-end parts on a "ordinary" bike at that time.

The stem on yours ins interesting. I've seen several with Titans, mine came with some french job, no idea if thats original, the handlebars certainly aren't.

Rabeneick was one of the first manufacturers after the war to not use homegrown parts, but to partner up with Campagnolo. Tubes were "Libellula", also from Italy. If you look closely, the logo should be engraved/stamped in on several tubes.
Paintjobs were a sort of laquer over a full chrome job. Early cromovelato i suppose. The laquer on mine came off where i removed masking tape used for protection while shipping...

Old 08-26-19, 01:54 AM
randyjawa 

@Marti...

At last, I have bumped into someone who knows something about my German steed. Thanks for the first hand information and pics of your bike. Mine was purchased, from a fellow in Texas, as a frame and fork only. I have spent two years collecting what I feel to be are period correct components and, hopefully, some model correct ones also.
Old 08-26-19, 06:12 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Masking and paint look great, Randy! Looking forward to seeing it with the artwork applied.
Old 08-26-19, 09:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
You tagged the wrong person. His name is @martl.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-26-19, 11:05 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You tagged the wrong person. His name is @martl.
not important, i saw it Wanted to say, brilliant job to resurrect one of those nice bikes! With your paintjob, it will possibly much nicer than it was when it left the factory! Looking forward to seing the final result!
Likes For martl:
Old 08-26-19, 01:09 PM
randyjawa 

You folks will laugh when you learn how I selected the color.

My intention was to practice on an all chrome but damaged fork, to test the paint adhesion (pooey-stinko), how the liquid mask worked (yee-haw). So, when I got to the Canadian Tire rattle can paint display, I grabbed the first blue I noticed and scooped up a can or primer at the same time. Little or no thought went into choosing the color. But I do like the color enough to go with it. I believe that I mentioned it earlier, but the original colors were blue frame with gold head tube and matching gold fork...

So far, the primer, one can of blue, one of gold and one of clear has set me back a tad over $60.00 CND. $27.00 for the fine line masking tape and it does work better than the old green stuff I used to use. $28,00 for the liquid mask and I will have a LOT left over which I will probably give to the fellow who offered to paint the bike for me. Good guy, but I really do prefer to do my own restoration work. So, just for off the shelf paint stuff, I am already over a hundred bucks. To that add Ontario's 15% sales tax, and that makes the total close to $120.00 CND and I know for sure that one can of clear will not be enough, so there goes another $21.00.

Of course, before I do the clear, I need to install the water slide decals that set me back $90.00 US. So, if things go well, I will come up with an amateur paint job that is not as durable as one would like and, perhaps, not even all that good looking, when compared to a pro job. And all for the low price of, approximately $280.00 CND. Don't get me wrong, just including some pertinent build information but adding it up does lend great credibility to the prices the pros charge.
Old 09-20-20, 01:10 PM
randyjawa 

Well, I finally got around to the art on the Rabeneick. Been pretty nervous about applying the art, as it was costly and I would hate to have screwed it up. But, all went well, the water slide decals are drying and I plan to shoot the top clear coats in a day or two. Here is where I am at now...

Old 09-20-20, 01:27 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Looks good, Randy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.