Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Everybody Complains About the Weather...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-05-20, 11:33 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts

...the Weather Underground Android app that is.
The best, most comprehensive, most user-friendly, best loved weather app for android was bought by IBM who immediately replaced it with a completely different, less useful and less comprehensive app that is obsfucated by ads...
...AND HAS NO DESKTOP WIDGET!
That's how I discovered WU had changed...my desktop widget stopped.

Even if you don't use or care about the Weather Undergound app, you may enjoy a chilling reminder to not fix what ain't broke. It's also fascinating how badly a large company can screw up an acquisition. My only guess is that IBM bought it to kill it; but instead of just shutting it down, wanted to make users abandon it instead.
I am including the link to the Google Play review page so you can read all the criticism, it is breath-taking.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ather&hl=en_US

For what it's worth, I am now using Meteored 14-Day weather, which does everything WU did, and in some cases Meteored does it better. The ad-free pro version was a one-time $3 purcase, whereas the "new" Weather Underground app wants you to sign up for a $20 annual subscription to access all the features that once were free, and some people say no longer exist.

...and Meteored has a desktop widget!

When Meteored opens you can immediately see the Sky conditions (sun/clouds/precip) the % chance of precip, the expected amount of precip, wind direction and speed. One more touch takes you to teven more details, while a swipe down gives you the hourly breakdown including an additional hourly graph.

All cleanly, clearly, concisely presented!

Here's that link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iempo&hl=en_US
Old 01-05-20, 11:57 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Nice app, thanks, works on iOS as well, worth the $3
Old 01-05-20, 12:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
I like the Dark Sky app. Don't know if there is a desktop version, but the version for my iPhone is free, and it's specialty is predicting rain right down to the minute - which is useful for a cyclist.
Old 01-05-20, 12:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
For cycling weather, Epic Ride is a great app.. though a bit pricey at $8/yr. It gives the weather all along a route you choose for the time of day you're expected to be at various points on the route (based on whatever avg speed and start time you enter). Runs off of Darksky's weather data, which is it's own app and very good straightforward app that costs a lot less.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/epic-r...r/id1159726753
Old 01-05-20, 12:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Why would anybody pay for weather apps when you can get free local weather report through google or a local news station ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-05-20, 12:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
I used 1 app a long time ago that I paid for [don't remember the name of it] & it ended up "changing" to a craptastic less accurate app & infiltrating my device with bloatware/spam. After having other apps that I paid for going the same direction, I just don't bother buying apps unless I absolutely accept the risk of it going to the E-Dumpster eventually.
Having internet/data & checking weather without an app has been working for me, & often works out better, just takes a few extra seconds of clicking/scrolling. Realistically, weather is hardly accurate after 4 hours from its prediction time, so it's a roll of the dice whether the weather is going to be what it is after a certain point.
Old 01-05-20, 01:04 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I juar use Accuweather before I head out. It has everything--all kinds of sattelite images and radar and ten-day or hourly foreceasts. It works just fine for me.
Old 01-05-20, 01:45 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Have to agree WU sux after it updated. I'll check out your link. Thanks....
Old 01-05-20, 02:06 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
“ Everyone Complains About the Weather”

These days, everyone complains about everything!

See.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 01-05-20, 02:12 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
The best, most comprehensive, most user-friendly, best loved weather app for android was bought by IBM who immediately replaced it with a completely different, less useful and less comprehensive app that is obsfucated by ads...
Well.... The Weather Company AKA The Weather Channel bought them out in 2012....the app went downhill shortly after 2012 when TWC bought them out. In 2015 IBM bought The Weather Company, but not The Weather Channel.

Originally Posted by Koyote
I like the Dark Sky app. Don't know if there is a desktop version, but the version for my iPhone is free, and it's specialty is predicting rain right down to the minute - which is useful for a cyclist.
No app, just a website: https://darksky.net/

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 01-05-20 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 01-05-20, 02:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ruining perfectly good weather apps seems to be a specialty for programmers. I've stopped using a few weather apps over the years after redesigns made them worse instead of better. I don't mind different if it works, but different for the sake of cosmetics at the cost of functionality is annoying.

For awhile I've used Dark Sky on my Android phone, but WeatherBug on my tablets and older iPhone.

The paid version of Dark Sky is excellent for the most current, most local forecasts (they call it micro-local, I think). But it's not a great interface and requires too much tapping and scrolling around. There's no one-page at-a-glance option. And the free trial version is useless. Don't judge Dark Sky on the trial version. It's so crippled you won't get any hint of the most current and local forecasts. I ponied up the few bucks for the past year and will renew.

For planning bike rides my favorite by far is Windy. It's usually as accurate and up to date as Dark Sky, with better at-a-glance layout, and a graphic representation of wind conditions. That's a huge plus for cyclists. I often plan my attempts at Strava PRs around the wind conditions, or choose a bike and clothing to suit the wind that day. And the graphical presentation is far more useful than the familiar unidirectional estimates. It doesn't help much if one forecast says "wind 7 mph from NW with gusts to 15" when we get out on the road the wind seems to be coming from every direction. But Windy will show why -- often the wind really is swirling around and can't be accurately described by the unidirectional method.
Old 01-05-20, 03:07 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why would anybody pay for weather apps when you can get free local weather report through google or a local news station ??
I understand where you're coming from, however, google only mentions expected chance of precipitation, not the expected rainfall. A 90% chance of.001 inch of rain is not an issue, but a 90% chance of 2" of rain is.

Also, if your local news is like ours, they try to sensationalize the weather as much as possible. Especially snow. Here in Colorado Springs it will snow heavily and often in the foothills and mountains above 7000ft, but barely snow 500ft below that, here in town. And then they will include the far reaches of their service area where no one lives so they can say, "20-inches of snow possible tomorrow" when in fact, that will only occur 100 miles away above 10,000 feet, which will affect no more than 5 people.

Plus, a one-time $3 payment is worth it to pull a phone out of my pocket and see a comprehensive weather forcast at the instant I want it.
Old 01-05-20, 03:35 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
...AND HAS NO DESKTOP WIDGET!
That's how I discovered WU had changed...my desktop widget stopped.

Even if you don't use or care about the Weather Undergound app, you may enjoy a chilling reminder to not fix what ain't broke. It's also fascinating how badly a large company can screw up an acquisition. My only guess is that IBM bought it to kill it; but instead of just shutting it down, wanted to make users abandon it instead.
I am including the link to the Google Play review page so you can read all the criticism, it is breath-taking.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ather&hl=en_US

For what it's worth, I am now using Meteored 14-Day weather, which does everything WU did, and in some cases Meteored does it better. The ad-free pro version was a one-time $3 purcase, whereas the "new" Weather Underground app wants you to sign up for a $20 annual subscription to access all the features that once were free, and some people say no longer exist.

...and Meteored has a desktop widget!

When Meteored opens you can immediately see the Sky conditions (sun/clouds/precip) the % chance of precip, the expected amount of precip, wind direction and speed. One more touch takes you to teven more details, while a swipe down gives you the hourly breakdown including an additional hourly graph.

All cleanly, clearly, concisely presented!

Here's that link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iempo&hl=en_US

i used to use wunderground and loved it. I did not know it was bought by IBM. Sometime i switched from iOS to Android and downloaded the app. when i try to check the weather before commuting in the morning and the ad covers the entire screen and plays sounds. I decided to dump it... especially when it woke my wife up too
Old 01-05-20, 07:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ruining perfectly good weather apps seems to be a specialty for programmers. I've stopped using a few weather apps over the years after redesigns made them worse instead of better. I don't mind different if it works, but different for the sake of cosmetics at the cost of functionality is annoying.

For awhile I've used Dark Sky on my Android phone, but WeatherBug on my tablets and older iPhone.

The paid version of Dark Sky is excellent for the most current, most local forecasts (they call it micro-local, I think). But it's not a great interface and requires too much tapping and scrolling around. There's no one-page at-a-glance option. And the free trial version is useless. Don't judge Dark Sky on the trial version. It's so crippled you won't get any hint of the most current and local forecasts. I ponied up the few bucks for the past year and will renew.

For planning bike rides my favorite by far is Windy. It's usually as accurate and up to date as Dark Sky, with better at-a-glance layout, and a graphic representation of wind conditions. That's a huge plus for cyclists. I often plan my attempts at Strava PRs around the wind conditions, or choose a bike and clothing to suit the wind that day. And the graphical presentation is far more useful than the familiar unidirectional estimates. It doesn't help much if one forecast says "wind 7 mph from NW with gusts to 15" when we get out on the road the wind seems to be coming from every direction. But Windy will show why -- often the wind really is swirling around and can't be accurately described by the unidirectional method.
I wonder if Dark Sky is better for iPhones than Android? I have the former and find it to be very usable. Though it was screwed up a bit in the last major update.

Thanks for the tip on Windy. I will check that out.
Old 01-05-20, 07:42 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I understand where you're coming from, however, google only mentions expected chance of precipitation, not the expected rainfall. A 90% chance of.001 inch of rain is not an issue, but a 90% chance of 2" of rain is.

Also, if your local news is like ours, they try to sensationalize the weather as much as possible. Especially snow. Here in Colorado Springs it will snow heavily and often in the foothills and mountains above 7000ft, but barely snow 500ft below that, here in town. And then they will include the far reaches of their service area where no one lives so they can say, "20-inches of snow possible tomorrow" when in fact, that will only occur 100 miles away above 10,000 feet, which will affect no more than 5 people.

Plus, a one-time $3 payment is worth it to pull a phone out of my pocket and see a comprehensive weather forcast at the instant I want it.
Couldn't agree more. As for sensationalizing the weather, these days it seems every low-pressure system gets a name.
Old 01-05-20, 07:50 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8800 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,709 Posts
don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.
Old 01-05-20, 07:59 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Yes, I agree the update has made WU terrible. I like Darksky but it isn't available in the Play store for my region. I also use the MSN Weather app but not for the forecasts, the chance of precipitation seems way inflated, but they have a nice precipitation map view which predicts regional rain for the next 12 hours so I can watch the moving blobs of colour and make my own informed decision.
Old 01-05-20, 08:37 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
IBM bought Weather Underground and incorporated it into their consulting services business. Weather info is pretty valuable to business sectors like agriculture, airlines, shipping companies (to name a few), and it was easier for them to buy the software rather than try and create it from scratch. They don't really make much $$$ through their computer hardware anymore (just supercomputers), they now sell computer services and management consulting services to other companies.

FWIW: I just use the NOAA site (weather.gov) which seems pretty accurate for my area. I just like to know if its going to rain or shine tomorrow, maybe when the rain will start (morning, afternoon, or evening is accurate enough for me), so I can better plan my cycling and other daily activities.
Old 01-05-20, 08:55 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Weather Rock:

a dry rock means fair weather.
a wet rock means it's raining.
a dusty rock means a dust storm.
a swaying rock means it's windy.
a shadow under the rock means it's sunny.
a hot rock with a shadow under it means it's hot and sunny.
a cold rock with a shadow under it means it's cold and sunny.
if you can't see the rock it's either extremely cloudy, or night
a hazy rock means it's foggy

a white rock means it's snowing.
if the rock is jumping up and down, an
earthquake is upon us.
if the bottom of the rock is under water it's a flood.

And my rule of riding - generally I don't start a ride if it's raining unless it's a specific training ride or I'm committed to meeting someone. However - if it starts raining one minute after I start my ride, I ride. What I always used to tell my more "delicate" teammates - if you can't train in the rain, you can't race in the rain.

Oh - and Weatherbug is free and gives enough detail to get a general idea of what's happening. The biggest problem with ALL weather apps is they're only as good as the weather services prognostication about what they think might possibly happen sometime in the relative near future - sort of.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 01-06-20, 07:35 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Those of us in the UK are fortunate to have a weather app provided by the BBC which is both free and ad free. My understanding is that there are only two providers of the raw data in the UK so whichever app you use is going to come from one of those two sources. The free app on my Samsung watch is also pretty good but doesn't give wind speed and direction which, for a cyclist, is a bit of a handicap.
Old 01-06-20, 07:44 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by DougRNS
don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.
"Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doing it again"
Old 01-06-20, 08:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 3,141 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Windy is about the best "free" app out there. I use on it, together with real-time data, and, of course, human expert interpretation, for offshore sailing and donate to the developers. It has a choice of models, including the ECMWF (European), which is the most accurate and is rarely available for free. It also allows you to look at all of its models in parallel to form your own consensus. It also gives you the geopotential height chart for a range of pressure surfaces, which is the most informative forecasting tool in the shed and not available in anything else below the professional level as far I know. The slider interface for all the maps is also really helpful. Add to that features like CAPE, sea temps, and wind speeds in knots (!) and you've got yourself a powerful and reliable tool for staying out of trouble.

I also pay for the ad-free version of Wunderground because, of the apps I've looked at or tried, I have found its model to be most accurate for local conditions It's a hybrid of ECMWF and other models. Most apps and the National Weather Service local forecasts rely on the GFS and NAM models, which have low resolution and simply aren't as accurate. If you look, for instance, at Dark Sky's US forecasting source, it's GFS.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-06-20, 08:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Not all wether forecasts and UIs are equal.

While most (maybe all?) run off the same underlying data, forecasts based on that data can vary. I have found some sources more useful than others, and it can vary by region which is the best.

Also, UIs vary greatly. Some are easy and quick, with useful features and more detailed info if you want to dive deeper, others are a jumbled mess or give an overly simplified forecast.

So yeah, I’d pay a few bucks for a good app. Darksky used to be worth it, and the $5 I paid for it was well worth it for the few years I used it.

Now Darksky sucks IMO, both in terms of the interface, and also the forecasts (and even current weather) are really off where I now live.
Old 01-06-20, 09:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 3,141 Posts
Important things to know with automated weather products are
1. what you're looking at;
2. where it came from—not the name of the app, but where the app gets its input;
3. what that source's limitations are;
4. not to rely on a single source when making a critical decision;
5. and to trust humans over machines.
Old 01-06-20, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
wasn't happy when wunderground acquired intellicast, but at least I can still access my favorite radar loop

Likes For rumrunn6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.