Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

72 Grand Prix - 27" to 700c Question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 02:48 PM
Printworthy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello All:
New to the Forum here, But I have learned a lot just reading.
I have restored my college bike, a 72 Grand Prix (Holland serial number) on sort of a budget using finds on ebay ( a used Brooks B-17, Cotter-Less Crank, Sealed Shimano BB, Orig decals, etc) and am thinking about going from the Steel 27 1-1/4 to 700c wheelset.
I have a stock Normandy 5spd rear freewheel and 122mm spacing in the rear. Would anyone have any specific advice on what I should be looking for? I understand the brake reach issue and think my stock Wienmans (center pulls) will adjust. What I am unsure of is buying the wrong rear - freewheel vs cassette and everything not fitting up right? Should I buy wheels and put my old freewheel on? or be looking for something with 5 gears already on? Many thanks for help.

BTW: Before you say, it is not worth investing in....this one has sentimental value. Long distance college rides with friends now passed - this bike is in alot of treasured pics and I want to keep it on the road.
Likes For Printworthy:
Old 04-13-20, 04:10 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Welcome...

For starters, DON'T mess with steel rims! 700c steel rims were rare in the US but just in case, make sure to get alloy rims.

120mm OLN (Over Lock Nut) was the defacto standard width for 5 speed hubs but 122mm OLN was the French standard width for 5 speed hubs which includes your Normandy Sport hubs. 2mm is not a significant difference. The French standard for front hubs was 96mm vs. 100mm so you may have to spread your forks a little bit if you find some wheels with non French hubs.

120mm/122mm 700c alloy wheels for 5 speed FWs are going to be hard to find these days. Check on eBay for used wheels also a while back someone was offering new 5 speed wheelsets.

700c 126mm rear wheels are more common. They were made for 6 & 7 speed FWs but you could still use a 5 speed FW on them. You'll have to spread the rear dropouts a little.

I'd recommend replacing the freewheel and chain because they are probably worn out.

If you are near a bike co-op you may find a set of usable wheels or a whole bike to cannibalize. Look in thrift shops too.

Figure on replacing all the cables and housings too.

Normally I'd suggest not spending a lot of money on a lower end bike from that era but I can understand your sentimental attachment.

good luck...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 04-13-20, 04:22 PM
Printworthy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Welcome...

For starters, DON'T mess with steel rims! 700c steel rims were rare in the US but just in case, make sure to get alloy rims.

120mm OLN (Over Lock Nut) was the defacto standard width for 5 speed hubs but 122mm OLN was the French standard width for 5 speed hubs which includes your Normandy Sport hubs. 2mm is not a significant difference. The French standard for front hubs was 96mm vs. 100mm so you may have to spread your forks a little bit if you find some wheels with non French hubs.

120mm/122mm 700c alloy wheels for 5 speed FWs are going to be hard to find these days. Check on eBay for used wheels also a while back someone was offering new 5 speed wheelsets.

700c 126mm rear wheels are more common. They were made for 6 & 7 speed FWs but you could still use a 5 speed FW on them. You'll have to spread the rear dropouts a little.

I'd recommend replacing the freewheel and chain because they are probably worn out.

If you are near a bike co-op you may find a set of usable wheels or a whole bike to cannibalize. Look in thrift shops too.

Figure on replacing all the cables and housings too.

Normally I'd suggest not spending a lot of money on a lower end bike from that era but I can understand your sentimental attachment.

good luck...

verktyg
Hey: Many Thanks for the great guidance. I checked the rear spacing and I can get to 126mm by just using one hand to spread a bit. I'll start with thrift shops, and perhaps local craigslist - that's a good idea.
I have about $120 bucks invested in components without the Brooks seat ( a huge indulgence ), so I am thinking I could do a bit more for the wheels ( most of the rust came off but some of the chrome is badly pitted in spots) and the steel wheels don't stop that well in the wet.
Thanks again for setting me on the right path. Say Healthy.
Likes For Printworthy:
Old 04-13-20, 04:22 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
^ What verktyg said ^
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 04-13-20, 04:34 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
A set of new or good used 126mm wheels will work fine. I would suggest you also upgrade to a modern better 8 speed chain and a better vintage or new 6/7 speed freewheel. You may need to a add a 1-2mm spacing and adjust the hub a bit. You shouldn't 3mm or more with offset which wouldn't be a big deal offsetting re-dishing a wheel 1-2 mm isn't a big deal just a couple of turns with a poke wrench on each spoke.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-13-20 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 06:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Just think -- if this bike had been in continuous service, you probably would have upgraded it to 6/7-speed with aluminum rims long ago. Looking forward to seeing it when you're able to post pics.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-13-20, 06:20 PM
SurferRosa
seρor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
You know what I'd do if it were me and I were sentimental ...

I'd spread that frame 4mm using a threaded bolt as shown on youtube. And either use new 700c rims built up on vintage hubs or source a vintage 700c wheelset and add either a 6- or 7-speed freewheel.
Old 04-13-20, 06:28 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Printworthy
Hey: Many Thanks for the great guidance. I checked the rear spacing and I can get to 126mm by just using one hand to spread a bit. I'll start with thrift shops, and perhaps local craigslist - that's a good idea.
I have about $120 bucks invested in components without the Brooks seat ( a huge indulgence ), so I am thinking I could do a bit more for the wheels ( most of the rust came off but some of the chrome is badly pitted in spots) and the steel wheels don't stop that well in the wet.
Thanks again for setting me on the right path. Say Healthy.
Welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place.

We love this sort of thing, no worries on the sentimental tack and the Brooks is exactly what this needs, nothing else will do.

Agree with all so far, make it so.
Old 04-13-20, 06:43 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts

BTW: Before you say, it is not worth investing in....this one has sentimental value. Long distance college rides with friends now passed - this bike is in alot of treasured pics and I want to keep it on the road.
It's definitely worth saving and restoring. I've restored several Grand Prix's from the early to mid 1970's models with various levels of modification. One of them is completely stock. Every component was thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled with the exception of cables, tires and bar tape.

Alloy rims are a definite improvement and can be laced to your current Normandy hubs so you can keep the factory spacing of the rear stays as well as the original freewheel. The high flange Normandy hubs are also very cool looking once polished.

Old 04-13-20, 07:16 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
A slight side tangent on your post: You say your Grand Prix is a Holland-built model. Did the original wheels come with quick release hubs, or are they bolt on?

The reason I'm asking is that I've got a red '72 Grand Prix, Dutch built with bolt-on wheels, and the rear is a flip-flop hub. Now, when I worked in western PA I'd never seen a Grand Prix like that, but a much longer term Richmond resident buddy of mine who's been collecting for decades says they were pretty common down here. To the point that he used to buy them expressly to part them out for the hubs.

I always figured they were a Bike Boom desperation move (to get stock to the dealers) and regional distribution.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-13-20, 09:35 PM
desconhecido 

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
If you're interested in buying new already built wheels, check velomine.com for their 700c wheels with Sun CR 18 or Sun M13 rims. I don't know anything about the joytech hubs but I'd bet they're not a bad substitute for the Normandy Sport hubs on the GP other than they're low flange. My wag is that these wheels probably come from QBP, but that's a guess. Velomine.com, as far a I know has a good reputation. I bought a Soma Stanyon frame from them a couple years ago and was very satisfied. When I called them on the phone, a real person who knew what I was talking about answered the phone. Probably pay to call them before ordering anything to figure out what their current business status is considering everything as it is today.
Old 04-13-20, 09:41 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by desconhecido
If you're interested in buying new already built wheels, check velomine.com for their 700c wheels with Sun CR 18 or Sun M13 rims.
The SUN CR 18 rims are an excellent choice for the Grand Prix. I also use the SUN M13 for my lighter weight bikes.
Old 04-13-20, 09:52 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by verktyg

verktyg
I completely agree. If the bike is in decent shape, then replacing the steel rims with alloy will be the most sensible upgrade. The remainder of the components will perform well if cleaned, lubricated and adjusted properly.
Old 04-13-20, 09:55 PM
branko_76 

Hello All:
New to the Forum here, But I have learned a lot just reading.
I have restored my college bike, a 72 Grand Prix (Holland serial number) on sort of a budget using finds on ebay ( a used Brooks B-17, Cotter-Less Crank, Sealed Shimano BB, Orig decals, etc) and am thinking about going from the Steel 27 1-1/4 to 700c wheelset.
How did you install the BB into the 26 tpi shell?
Old 04-13-20, 11:13 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I also had a 1972 Grand Prix that was made in Holland. Mine was white and later got repainted blue (by me, using Preval). I also switched from 27 1/4" to 700C.

Do it! The Weinmanns will work.
Old 04-14-20, 12:23 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
As to brake reach. 700c rims are about 1/4" smaller in diameter. The exact amount varys across brands/models of rims. Some have taller side walls than others so it's not an exact amount. If there is room, you can adjust the brake pads down that far. If it's really close, you can file out the slots 1 or 2 mm. The Weinman center pull brakes came in 2 common sizes. 510 and 750. That's 51mm or 75mm from the mounting bolt to the center of the brake pad slot. If your brake pads can't be adjusted down enough, swap to the longer size. Most Gran(d) Prix's came with 510s. Schwinn used the same brakes (with different labels) so there are plenty around. Dia compe made copies (under license) that look pretty similar. Some other brands/models had a keyed slot for the mounting bolt that could be adjusted for about 5 or 6mm extra reach.

The Gran(d) Prix was a very big seller for Raleigh. I assembled and sold many in the day. We got them from England, Ireland and the Netherlands. They also made them in Canada and Oklahoma. Some were decaled Grand Prix, some were Gran Prix. Even though they were all equipped the same, we could easily tell the difference between countries. The finish quality varied quite a bit. Also for some years, only those made in England had the Nottingham on the head badge. The others had a bar.
Old 04-14-20, 06:49 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Here is my 74 with original wheels
DSC00929 by Bwilli88, on Flickr
with 700Cx32mm.
DSC06588 by Bwilli88, on Flickr
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 04-14-20, 07:11 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Another way to obtain wheels is to buy a whole bike that has wheels you can use. Part out the bike and sell the frame, you probably will come out money ahead plus the wheels.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 04-14-20, 08:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
A Holland-built Raleigh should be standard English thread. AFAIK, only the Nottingham-built Raleighs used the 26tpi shells.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-14-20, 08:46 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Just reuse the original cups, and come up with a spindle with the same internal spacing.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-14-20, 08:58 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
My bike above is a Gazelle built bike.
Old 04-14-20, 10:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I agree about spreading the frame. It's a worthwhile investment. I used the threaded rod most recently, and it didn't work out so well. Apparently the stays are of different stiffnesses. The frame is bent to the right side. I will correct it using the older cruder method of 2x4's.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-14-20, 10:44 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A Holland-built Raleigh should be standard English thread. AFAIK, only the Nottingham-built Raleighs used the 26tpi shells.
I just checked a salvaged BB I have from a damaged Holland made Grand Prix and you are correct, it's standard English threading.

afaik, 26tpi threading only applies to the lower end Raleighs. Super Course and above have standard English threads

Last edited by branko_76; 04-14-20 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 12:14 PM
Printworthy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Many thanks. I keep learning new things about this bike!
Old 04-14-20, 12:39 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
We picked up a Gazelle-made Grand Prix, '73-ish, that a PO had had converted to a SS/fixie by a local bike shop, modern driveline/wheelset, original brakes/steering. The standard threaded BB shell would explain why it made a good candidate for such. Didn't occur to me until now that its Nottingham counterpart would probably have been spared such a treatment. And yes, the OEM brakes reach(ed) the 700C rims just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.