Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying used advice? - Colnago CX1 vs De Rosa R838 vs Colnago CLX3.0 (pls advise :)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying used advice? - Colnago CX1 vs De Rosa R838 vs Colnago CLX3.0 (pls advise :)

Old 05-10-20, 11:07 AM
hannhann00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Wondering if i can get some wisdom from you kind folk. I'm looking at getting a road bike as i have a nice winding hill by my house (a bit of a cyclist hotspot), so i was thinking of hitting it a few times a week on a road bike (plus the occasional longer ride), since running is sometimes starting to show wear-and-tear on the old skinsuit.

I'm not likely going to be a hardcore road rider anytime soon, but i still want to have a decent piece of kit. There's a few decent used bikes in my area that are sized well for me and appear in nice condition. I'd therefore appreciate any input on what option of the following three may be the best option in your opinion (to give me a few more data points to base my decision on) Many thanks in advance for any input... Let the battle begin

Option 1)

Colnago CX1

- good condition but of course shows signs of use as it is a bit longer in the tooth (7.5/10)

- Full Dura-ace 7800 groupset 10 spd (however shifters need replacement according to the owner as they're a bit sticky)

- SPX Sprint wheelset with Continental Ultrasport 25mm/ Ritchey stem/ Colnago aluminium handbar (42cm)/ Pedals not included.

- Price @ $600 (and i assume i'd need to spend a few hundred to go over it and replace shifters (any idea on cost for that???) (should i assume this will be a total cost of say $800 at the end of everything or should it be less?)

Option 2)

De Rosa R838

- medium to light use so in very good condition (8/10)

- Full Shimano Ultegra 6700 groupset/ 3T Ergonova Team Carbon Handlebar/ 3T Arx II Team Stem/ 3T Seatpost

- Mavic Kysrium Elite Wheelset with Veloflex Master 25

- Look Keo 2 Max clipless pedals

- Price $950

Option 3)

De Rosa R838

- as new nearly (!) - only ridden a handful of times so it's mind (9.5/10)

- 100% stock i.e. Full Shimano Ultegra/ Handlebar 3T Ergonova Team Stealth carbon/ Seatpost 3T carbon

- Wheelset Fulcrum Racing 5 (lower spec wheel than the option 2 R838 as far as i understand)

- Price @ $1250

Option 4)

Colnago CLX 3.0

- good condition (7.5/10)

- 100% stock

- full ultegra/ Shimano RS30 rims/ etc

- price $900

Options 5)

Colnago CLX 3.0 with Ultegra Di2 10 speed

- very good condition (8.5/10)

- Prime Alex rim wheels AT01 and new continental tires gp4000/ Speedplay pedals zeros/ Selle Italia Saddle (new)

- Price @ $1150

I'm kind of leaning towards one of the De Rosa's as all seem like solid bikes so at the moment the defining factor is i like the De Rosa brand/ logo best (haha yeah so any more reasonable input is valuable). But all seem like good options regardless.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-20, 11:32 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I would avoid option 1, it isn't often that shifters are worn out, if they're worn out then how worn is the rest of the bike. I wouldn't count on 200 being the cost of repair for this job. If the levers don't work from crash damage you should assume the rest of the bike is compromised. Without some sort of xray of the bike you won't know what's lurking under the service.
2 and 4 both seem like decent values but if I had the cash for #3 its the one I would go with. Personally I love DeRosa, for a bike with that equipment and nearly new the price is a bargain even if older.
Old 05-10-20, 10:01 PM
hannhann00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Russ Roth,

Thanks for your input . I think that's good point you raise regarding the CX1... The initial reason it interested me is that from what i've read it seems like a higher spec frame than the other options, albeit older so i added it into the consideration pile. But i don't really want to go into a potential black hole of having to get work done to get out on the road - so i'm kind of with you to avoid that.

Well noted on #3 (it's currently leading the pile).

If anyone else wants to chime in please feel free as i'm hoping to pull the trigger by tomorrow. Thx
Old 05-11-20, 08:18 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Option 3, De Rosa 838. I'm biased though.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 05-13-20, 06:23 AM
hannhann00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi wondering if anyone can give advice on the following as one more nice bike has entered the equation but i've narrowed down the previous options to just one. Please give any input...

Pinarello F10, f#3[/URL] 33333]ull Ultegra R8000,#3[/URL] 33333] Campagnolo carbon wheelset, d#3[/URL] 33333]ropbar Most Talon Carbon, Pedal Cleat Time Carbon. Very good condition USD1800 (this is a good amount more than the other options but from my understanding is a clear grade above, is that correct and any advice?

or

De Rosa R838 (originally was option #3 that most ppl said sounded like a solid option)
- as new nearly - only ridden a handful of times so it's mind (9.5/10)
- 100% stock i.e. Full Shimano Ultegra/ Handlebar 3T Ergonova Team Stealth carbon/ Seatpost 3T carbon
- Wheelset Fulcrum Racing 5 (lower spec wheel than the option 2 R838 as far as i understand)
- Price @ $1250
Old 05-13-20, 07:13 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Pinarello makes a sweet bike, I assume from the plethora of Italian goodness you must be in Europe. Where I am in NY that Pin would easily sell for twice the asking price if new and can't be more than a few years old. It would be a good value and possibly/probably a better value than the DeRosa. With the bikes you're looking at you won't get huge performance differences between them though the wheels on the Pin are probably the best upgrade. The better questions become what do you want to get out of the bike, how much do you really want to spend, what are future thoughts on repairs. The DeRosa is aging and while nice parts will be available for quite a while the 8000 series ultegra is current and will have parts longer. However should you crash or screw up somehow are you prepared for the replacement cost of a Campy rim?
While having a wheel failure under the same circumstances with the other might mean better wheels on the way or a cheaper repair.
Honestly I'd make this decision based in budget and a test ride
Old 05-13-20, 08:47 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I love De Rosa. I have 2.

But the f10 for that price seems like the choice to me.

R838 isn’t the top of the line for De Rosa. Dogma is for Pinerello.
Old 05-13-20, 12:03 PM
hannhann00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response... The situation just changed as i found out the F10 is actually an "OEM Pinarello frame" = no deal and not really considering it