Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek FX 2020 help

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek FX 2020 help

Old 07-04-20, 01:19 AM
Kelvtoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek FX 2020 help

Hello all, hope everyone is well. I have just purchased a new trek bike and looking for advice on the grips that came with the bike. Bontrager grips, when I take them off there us foam attached to the bars. I am wondering if people had experienced issues with these grips? I get pins and needles in my hand when cycling for 15 miles. My old Ergon grips I can cycle all day without issues. I tried replacing the grips, but the ergon grips I have fasten with a small bar end on the end and these will not ho onto the trek handlebars. Any advice appreciated.
Old 07-04-20, 09:11 AM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Trek does make adapters for their isobars that allow for bar ends. I am not sure if these will work for Ergon grips though
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
Old 07-04-20, 10:26 AM
Kelvtoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your response, it's a very frustrating design that has been applied to these bikes.
Old 07-04-20, 12:26 PM
MrChrome
Mr Chrome

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 / 2012 SC Tallboy Al / Ti SS 29er

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I ditched the Bontrager handlebars & stem combo altogether - the handlebars were too wide (I replaced them with a carbon fiber bar I had on hand) and the stem was too long (again, I replaced with one I had on hand that was 30 mm shorter). I also used a pair of ESI Chunkies I had laying around for grips, much better than the gel grips that came on the bike. I wasn't impressed with the cockpit of my FX 4 but with the changes I've made, everything is much more comfortable for the long haul. I've also replaced the seat and seatpost for better comfort, too; in all, I replaced the top end of the bike due to poor component spec by Trek - it might be good enough for a few people, but I've been riding a long time and can tell it probably isn't so great for the masses but that's what Trek sells.
Old 07-04-20, 12:54 PM
Kelvtoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers for advice, if I get a shorter stem would that make my reach lower? I have been using a Boardman hybrid for years and it was like a glove to me, so comfy could blast of big rides with no issues. I agree about the handle bars longer then I was expecting. Maybe a change in handle bars will do the trick for better co first for me. Could you recommend the size of stem and bars you went for please?
Old 07-04-20, 01:08 PM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelvtoon
Thank you for your response, it's a very frustrating design that has been applied to these bikes.
Yes it is frustrating and makes you a slave to their stuff unless you swap out the bars. I have thought about changing the bars as well but bars are like seats you can end up trying many different ones and spend a lot of cash before finding what works for you. I just ordered the kit I posted above and will try some bar ends before going to the more expensive hassle of bar trial end error.
Not thinking of going for a shorter stem I believe it would shorten the reach to the bars which I don't want
Old 07-06-20, 07:36 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Proprietary products-yuck! Maybe you could visit the LBS and sit on some bikes with diff. bars (or see how the bars on some of your friend's bikes feel) until you find a bar that feels comfortable. Measure the width, rise, not sure how you'd measure sweep, but get all the info on the bar you can and purchase an inexpensive bar (in case you don't like it afterward), and if you do like it could go for a better bar later. I'd go wider at first, with a bar that could be cut down.
Old 07-06-20, 07:58 AM
Kelvtoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea about sitting on some bikes to get a feel for differnt bars etc. Will do this. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-08-20, 10:52 AM
TampaBayBoater

Bikes: Trek: 7200 > 7.2 FX > FX 4 Sport

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
I've had Trek bikes for a long time and just got the FX4 and struggle with the grips as well. Waiting for the local bike shop to get some bar ends in, hopefully in the next couple of days.

The other thing that I'm having issues with in the new bike is the shifters. Being that the grips are so short and I have big hands they intrude upon the limited space that's there. Hopefully the bar ends help.
Old 07-08-20, 05:34 PM
MrChrome
Mr Chrome

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 / 2012 SC Tallboy Al / Ti SS 29er

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I run a 660 mm bar currently with an 80mm / 8 degree stem.......
Likes For MrChrome:
Old 07-08-20, 06:29 PM
TampaBayBoater

Got the bar ends today, Had to run to a couple of different shops as the one that got the bar ends and isozone adapter didn't have the type of mirror that played well with them. Took a test ride this afternoon and it's going to be nice being able to switch up hand positions but I'm going to have to work on the mirror set up. It's positioned below the handlebar now as it seemed like it would interfere with an outside hand position but my arm seems to obstruct the view in most cases.
Old 07-08-20, 07:12 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I have a Mirrycle mirror and it's fantastic. Yes, it makes the bike wider...but I can see!

It fits inside the handlebar and fastens with a wedge, like a quill stem. I don't know if it's compatible with Trek's proprietary handlebar or not.
Old 07-09-20, 07:25 AM
TampaBayBoater

Thanks for the reply and I do as well but when it is in the up (normal position) it interferes with my hands when they are in the side position on the bar ends. When it's rotated down my arms get in the way of viewing the mirror.

Old 07-09-20, 10:34 AM
hokiefyd 

I traditionally position mine in the "forward" position. Not up or down, but the the arm extending forward.

I just recently got a set of bar ends that are fairly straight, and I'm trying the mirror inserted into the end of the left bar end itself. This makes it pretty nice -- I can see around by body, no hands or arms are in the way, and I can fully wrap my hand around the end of the grip.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-10-20, 04:57 AM
Kelvtoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of just switching my bar from my old bike to the new Trek as I can't get comfortable on them isozone grips. Even thought about cutting the end of the handle bar to see if I can then just attach the Ergon grips onto and over the white foam on the bars.
Old 07-10-20, 06:44 PM
hokiefyd 

Here's my current setup on my Roam. I change parts all the time...not because anything is "uncomfortable"...I just like playing with different setups. A local bike shop recently went out of business and I bought these bar ends because...well...you can never have too many styles of bar ends, right? These were longer and straighter than some of my other ones, and the bar diameter is a 22.2mm MTB diameter (which isn't always the case with bar ends), which means things like this mirror will slide right in to the end.

So I've got the mirror "forward" of the bike and it's in a perfect position. I can just see around myself in it, and it doesn't really add any width to the bike. I can also fully wrap my hands around the end of the bar or place the flat of my hand across that corner without obstruction. It's also comfortable gripping it as I am in the photo, joystick style. I keep looking for a button at the end to kick in the electric motor...but I guess I'd have to have a button for that to work...and a motor!

I haven't yet wrapped these bar ends, or put foam wraps on them. Maybe I will soon if I decide to keep this configuration for a while.

Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-11-20, 07:03 PM
koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Following this thread because I have the same experience. Getting back into biking, like, seemingly, half of the country and my FX4 feels uncomfortable even on a 20 mile ride. After about 5 miles I get numbness and tingling in my fingers and the reach seems long; also get numbness on my perineum at about 15 miles.
So have adjusted (rotated up) the flippers (or whatever they are called) on the Isozone ends, a few degrees, making them feel a little better, but not much. Am considering replacing the stem, but because I am such a noob, I am not sure what a I really need. Would an adjustable stem work?

As for the seat, have ordered a Berthoud leather saddle with a cut-out. Fingers crossed. It's pretty expensive, and there is no way one can predict if it's going to work. With the current saddle, my dick feels like it's gonna fall off, but at least it's gonna go out in a blaze of pure French esthetic glory, if the Berthoud saddles don't work either.

Old 07-11-20, 07:14 PM
hokiefyd 

For numbness with the groceries, I really like my SQlab saddle. I have the "604 Active", but they make a ton of different styles.

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/s...04-active.html

I've tried a lot of saddles, and the common denominator with numbess for me seemed to be pressure from the area from the front of the nose to about midway back. It's not about hardness or softness of the sit bone area...but the material in front of the sit bone area. Even with "firm" saddles, my shape must just keep pressure down on the saddle in that area. So I started looking at noseless saddles. I didn't quite like the compromises with those...and then I found the SQlab folks who make saddles that still have a nose, but they're stepped down from the sit bone area. It looked interesting enough to try (and a lot of the marketing wank on their website makes sense).

This saddle works a treat for me...I can lean forward on my bike without smashing my grapes. Everything is just more comfortable (everything). It's pretty crazy to discover how interconnected nerves and bloodflow are in your body, because even hand nerves seem better (though I do like playing with bar ends to see what other hand positions do well for me).
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-11-20, 07:19 PM
hokiefyd 

Oh -- regarding the stem, I'd probably wait on that and see if you can find a saddle you like (though an adjustable stem is certainly less expensive than a nice saddle!). If you can find a saddle that lets your body rotate forward without numbness, your hands may be more comfortable as well (negating the need for a different stem). I also highly recommend bar ends. Some like them on the outside (I do...as pictured on my Giant Roam a few posts up) and some like them inboard of the brake levers, so they're more inline with traditional drop bar width (38-42cm). Regardless of how they're mounted, bar ends let your hands get into a different position that is generally more comfortable than typical "flat bar" geometry. One of the worst designs (for me) in terms of long term comfort is a typical flat bar (regardless of round grips, Ergon grips, etc.). I really need a little more backsweep that most of those bars provides if I'm going to hold the main bar -- but bar ends lets my wrists get into different positions that support more comfort.
Old 07-11-20, 07:37 PM
koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Will hold off with the stem for now. Have ordered the saddle -- looked at Brooks first but their cutout model is currently out of stock -- and will focus on adjusting it. Bar ends seem easy, will stop by at my LBS.
Old 07-19-20, 08:50 PM
TampaBayBoater

The bar ends have made a huge difference for me and I've spent a decent amount of time playing with the grips to get them rotated to best support the the broadest part of my hand and that's helped as well.
Old 07-20-20, 09:56 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Go with Ergon grips, GP4 or GP5. A very good replacement for the Bontrager grips IMHO!
Old 07-21-20, 12:18 AM
Kelvtoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I have tried Ergon grips but unfortunately they don't fasten to the handle bars because of the foam grips that's built into the hsndke bars.
Old 07-21-20, 10:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cool Other bar options..

Originally Posted by Kelvtoon
Hi I have tried Ergon grips but unfortunately they don't fasten to the handle bars because of the foam grips that's built into the hsndle bars.
You could change the bars Say, to figure 8 bend trekking/ butterfly bars ,.
multiple hand position option noted ... open end nearest you, towards the back for most setups.. where the brakes & shifters go.

or just another MTB style bar that is round__7/8"(22.2mm) where the grips go, and put Ergon GR-5 curved, or 4,~ 2 with straight, integrated bar ends..
Old 08-05-20, 08:11 PM
SwannyBC

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isozone with bar ends and mirror

Originally Posted by TampaBayBoater
Thanks for the reply and I do as well but when it is in the up (normal position) it interferes with my hands when they are in the side position on the bar ends. When it's rotated down my arms get in the way of viewing the mirror.
The clerk at the Trek store told me that I couldn’t install both the bar ends and the bar end (Mirrycle) mirror on my Trek FX 3 because the Bontrager Isozone handle bars require a Bontrager Isozone Bar End Adapter that would plug the end of the handle bar leaving no room to attach the mirror. But you have a bar end mirror and bar ends on what seems to be Isozone handlebars. Please tell me the clerk was wrong because I want the bar ends for long rides but really love the bar end mirrors. The (non-mechanic) staff at Trek the local store seem a bit dense so wouldn’t be surprised if they got it wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.