Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't get pedals off! Help!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 05:44 PM
Toller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a used Specialized Allez Elite. The pedals on it are for bike shoes, and I want plain pedals. I don't have a wrench thin enough to get in, so have been using a Allen's wrench. They won't budge. I tried penetrating oil; didn't help. I tried an hex drive with both an impact driver and a socket wrench. Won't budge.

The only things I can think of now are to buy a pedal wrench or take it to a bike shop. Are either of those going to work any better than my Allen's wrench?
Any other suggestions?

My father says he can take the bike shoe pedal apart and attach a flat piece of plastic impregnated plywood to it to work like a plain pedal; but even if that worked, it would look like garbage.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-20, 06:17 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I'm not sure where or how you are applying an Allen wrench to this job, but you need either a pedal wrench or (most likely) a 15mm flat wrench.

VERY IMPORTANT: Turn both pedals to the REAR to REMOVE and to the FRONT to FASTEN!
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 07-24-20, 06:23 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Are you turning them the right direction? Keep in mind that when working from the crank side of the pedal, the sense of the thread is reversed. You turn the right pedal clockwise to loosen when using the hex (Allen® is a trademark) drive, left pedal counterclockwise, the opposite of what you would do with a wrench on the flats..
Old 07-24-20, 07:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I'm not sure where or how you are applying an Allen wrench to this job, but you need either a pedal wrench or (most likely) a 15mm flat wrench.

VERY IMPORTANT: Turn both pedals to the REAR to REMOVE and to the FRONT to FASTEN!
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Are you turning them the right direction? Keep in mind that when working from the crank side of the pedal, the sense of the thread is reversed. You turn the right pedal clockwise to loosen when using the hex (Allen® is a trademark) drive, left pedal counterclockwise, the opposite of what you would do with a wrench on the flats..
These two posts are crucial. Make sure you are applying force in the correct direction.

If that still doesn't work, just take the bike into a shop. A mechanic will likely have a longer wrench (for more leverage) and will know a trick or two if the pedals still won't budge.
Old 07-24-20, 08:00 PM
Toller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was confused at first. It was obvious which way a pedal wrench would turn, but I foolishly thought a hex wrench would turn like a wrench on a nut would turn. Looking at the new pedal I realized that was wrong.
I will try a bike store tomorrow.
Old 07-24-20, 08:19 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts

I've got bikes with hex opening on the bolt end, but seems it would be really tough. I can't recall if I've ever done it not.
Old 07-24-20, 08:38 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
For both right and left pedals: turn the spindle towards the front of the bike to tighten, turn to the rear of the bike to loosen. Doesn't matter if you're working on pedals with 15mm wrench flats or pedals that use Allen wrench engagement on the end of the pedals' spindles, this rule applies.
Likes For well biked:
Old 07-24-20, 08:45 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I'll add, when it comes to difficult pedal removal, leverage is often your best friend.
Likes For well biked:
Old 07-24-20, 09:06 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've always used hex wrench on Keos. But often it's easier for me to remove the cranks and put them in a vice then remove the pedals. Need to be sensible about it if crabon cranks of course.

It's true that between remembering you are wrenching on the back side, and the ND side is left-hand thread you need to check and recheck which way you are working the wrench if they don't seem to be unscrewing.

scott s.

Last edited by scott967; 07-24-20 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-24-20, 09:17 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
There are several pedal models that have no open end wrench flats but only a hex wrench socket at the inboard side of the spindle. I have Shimano XT MTB pedals with only 8 mm hex sockets for removal.

Last edited by HillRider; 07-24-20 at 09:26 PM.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-24-20, 09:23 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I've always used hex wrench on Keos.
Since Look Keo pedals have no wrench flats, there is no other way to remove or install them
Old 07-25-20, 12:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Last time I had a jammed pedal I stripped it down to the spindle and took the crank arm with the jammed spindle to the LBS. They used their bench vise to remove it.

Now the replacement pedal is jammed. Reckon I'll do the same again. Kinda wondering if the threads were buggered, but I didn't before replacing the pedals a few years ago.

With my other bikes I grease the threads and don't over-tighten the pedals. They hold fine.
Old 07-25-20, 05:55 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Yeah I have pedals that are allen key only and ones that are flat wrench only.

The way I remember which way to turn is holding the pedal shaft so it doesn't spin and pedaling forward loosens the pedals. Completely counter intuitive, but I guess that is the way precession works.
Old 07-25-20, 06:35 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
I'll add, when it comes to difficult pedal removal, leverage is often your best friend.
+1. I've been using Look pedals on my builds ever since I began cycling almost 12 years ago. I always torque them to spec, 40nm but when it comes to removing them, a 3/8 or even a 1/2 breaker bar makes removing them much easier than a pedal wrench.
Old 07-25-20, 06:38 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I use a piece of pipe to fit over my 15mm open end wrench to get more leverage and I've never had a problem with that working. For my pedals without flats I use an 8mm bit on a long breaker bar ratchet wrench that I bought at Harbor Freight really cheap. It also always works without problem. The difference may be though that I'm the only one that ever works on my bikes and they are always properly greased. But even when I don't torque them they still seem to get very tight after a ride or two. It's just the nature of it.

And yes, turning them the proper way helps immensely, When looking at the bike directly, not from behind the pedal but from the front, the drive side loosens normally. The non-drive side is reverse threaded and loosens the "wrong" way. When using a hex wrench from the back I still stay on the front side so as to not confuse myself. The way the guys above look at it is also helpful, always loosen towards the rear. But even after 45 years of working on my own bikes I still have to think about it before I start!
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-25-20, 07:37 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Assuming you actually are turning in the right direction. Was the impact you used a real 1/2 inch square drive impact or or one of those 1/4 hex impacts for driving screws? Heat from a torch will work assuming you are turning the right direction. Great solution for what is probably galvanic corrosion between your steel pedal and aluminum crank. Might screw up your crank paint on the end of the cranks. Compare to other options if that means a lot to you.

An easy way to determine thread direction. The pedals come off in the opposite direction that you normally pedal the bike. This is to reduce the chances of a pedal working itself lose while riding. That is the understanding or why part, knowing that you can deduce the direction to turn them on and off without having to remember specific orientations either on or off the bike, bike sideways, upside down, looking from the other side etc...

That being said.. One of the easiest ways to remember in my opinion is drive side is normal, non drive side is reverse or use one or both of the following

A wrench facing towards the rear of the bike on a pedal would move down to loosen, up to tighten. "up-tight-rear"
A wrench facing towards the front of the bike on a pedal would move up to loosen, down to tighten.

This assumes your bike is upright and not upside down

Last edited by u235; 07-25-20 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-25-20, 01:06 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Try wrapping the pedal in a plastic bag filled with crushed ice. I had a friend's crank arm with a stuck pedal and couldn't get it to move even with leverage and my trusty 4 pound maul. I found the idea about the ice online and was surprised that it worked.
Old 07-25-20, 03:50 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Take it the bike shop.

They know the drill. Your $10 will be well spent.
Old 07-25-20, 03:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I tried an hex drive with both an impact driver and a socket wrench. Won't budge.

Turning it the wrong way (?), the Impact driver made it worse..
Old 07-25-20, 05:46 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
clarification to this great simple rule:

This R to R and F to F works providing you always apply the wrench ABOVE the pedal and not below!
Old 07-25-20, 06:26 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
One other thing to mention, when you are working on the drive side, a loss of skin on the knuckles is a requirement. When that pedal finally loosens with all that force, it'll drive that hand directly into the teeth of the chainring.

Just sayin...
Old 07-25-20, 07:35 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
One other thing to mention, when you are working on the drive side, a loss of skin on the knuckles is a requirement. When that pedal finally loosens with all that force, it'll drive that hand directly into the teeth of the chainring.

Just sayin...
Put the chain onto the big chainring BEFORE trying to loosen the pedal. Put a piece of split foam pipe insulation over that to further protect your knuckles.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-26-20, 10:55 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
If using hex wrenches on the in the the axle, you may need a pipe or other additional leverage. I often use a big box end wrench on allen keys, or on socket wrences when working on my car.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-26-20, 12:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
If if has flats for a wrench, get one that fits. Even the Shimano documents for some of their pedals say that you can't get enough torque on them without stripping the hex key.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-45K0B-001-ENG.pdf

Worse thing about using a allen key is that sometimes if very high torque being used either tightening or loosening, you can make a crack in the corner of the hex socket. Then when you try to loosen or tighten, the sharp edge of the crack opens into the item it is threaded into and jams things up.
Old 07-26-20, 01:27 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
I use this method...I have found it the best/easiest way to remove pedals....start at 22 seconds.
Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.