Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hard to read SN on Raleigh Roadster

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 04:26 PM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts

I looked all over this DL1 for the serial number. I thought I could feel something on the top rear of the seat tube. No matter what angle I looked or shined a bright light I could not see it.
Tried a couple things but the final solution was to put a piece of tape over the spot and it just appeared. NS0005993 The rear hub has 81.

This bike is very special to me. I pulled this bike out of the box new and assembled in early 1980's. Sold to a doctor who rode it to his office for many years. I fixed rear flats on it several times during the 80s but had not seen it since. It just showed up on Facebook Marketplace and now I have it again. More pictures when I get it cleaned up.

Likes For GMS:
Old 08-28-20, 05:33 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,692 Times in 2,611 Posts
I don’t think the serial # will yield much info, but the decal style seems consistent with 1981.
Old 08-28-20, 09:13 AM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
I thought the SN decoded to
N=Nottingham
S=December
0=1980
It would make sense that a December 1980 frame might get a 1981 SA hub.