Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Elite Sport experiment

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20, 10:46 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Built a few wheelsets for similar bikes of this type: was impressed at their relative road speed and comfort. Happened on this one and was clicking the 'pay now' lever before long. Value .. after unboxing and assembly this morn.. I rec'd it. This is part.. first part of 'speriment for a road bike gearing.. 7 gears rear custom built w a triple.

Packaging well done.. kudos.

Stock wheelset rt.. left is tubeless Terrino Dry (dont recommend) set on Kinlin's I built. Saving over 3 lbs on final weight... albeit the new rubber that comes w the bike gets decen reviews for rolling. Formula hubs w I believe Alex rims.. I like both.

19 lb 10oz shown.. Kinlin set goes 5 14oz then add the clipless pedals. Think in the range of 26+ lbs.

I am very pleased... $315 delivered to my door w state and county tax included. Going to give it a ride this aft.
Old 09-20-20, 10:44 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Road the Elite 13 last eve.. then road the Litespeed on the same route. Latter has the faster, lighter rubber. Conti 5000's TL's. Pic shown w my 20/16-8 set w Terreno Drys on the Elite.. rolls pretty good. Seat and post as mine.. not much weight differential on the unit furnished.. decent combo via Motobecane arrived.

Otta the box.. front de required adjustment more parallel to clear chain in highest gears. Brake pads aligned and tightened... head set bearing adjusted then stem set. All easily doable IMO for most.

Rear triangle will allow wide rubber.. and tall. Good supple tire there would soften rear.. front fork does job well.

So far.. very good rating... more mileage will tell further. I run w the same rubber the Litespeed wears another comparison that'll get made. The site sez compare this one at those local for 600.. I agree. IMO this one is more bike.

As it sits.. 26 1/4 lb. I'll compare the road rubber from the Litespeed on it soon.

Last edited by Aladin; 09-20-20 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 05:50 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
What don't you like about the Vittoria Terreno Dry tires for you to say you don't recommend them?
Old 09-20-20, 08:12 PM
Aladin

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
What don't you like about the Vittoria Terreno Dry tires for you to say you don't recommend them?

They violate RULE #1 . Would not inflate on Kinlin 22's under normal tape to rim fit (2x TL norm)... w CO2 or compressor. Means if your out in tim-buc-too and go flat loose the bead your are dipped in sh*t. I did manage to get them seated on the 22's.. the rim fit was over the edge for tension.. to the point of much care to be used to not damage the bead... by increasing the tape wrap. I mean even much tighter than the first generation Pro Ones....

Then.. tried them w tubes on the 22's.. would NOT get round.. over half an hour dick'n w this junk. This w original tape layers... 2.

They feel slow....for their weight vs psi's. One roll out test confirmed.. but not a valid run as conditions were not within parameters.

For 90 bucks they suck. And wear isn't going to good.

They WILL.. TL on narrow Kinlin 19's and 270's as shown on the bike. Sidewalls just too much flex for wider rims... unless you want to mess w the very tight tire to bead fit. I think the chances of damaging the bead that route too likely.

Last edited by Aladin; 09-20-20 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 08:40 PM
Aladin

Pooooooooooff.
Old 09-21-20, 06:13 AM
hokiefyd 

I have two sets of modern Vittorias with the Anthracite sidewall (both in 650b size). I have 52mm Mezcals and 47mm Terreno Zeros. I don't run them tubeless, but the beads do take a bit to seat correctly (like, lots of PSI). Have you contacted Vittoria about them? Maybe they're defective and they'd warranty them for you.

If you tire of them (pun!) and feel like tossing them out, I'd pay for your time and shipping to send 'em my way.
Old 09-21-20, 06:32 AM
Aladin

I have two sets of modern Vittorias with the Anthracite sidewall (both in 650b size). I have 52mm Mezcals and 47mm Terreno Zeros. I don't run them tubeless, but the beads do take a bit to seat correctly (like, lots of PSI). Have you contacted Vittoria about them? Maybe they're defective and they'd warranty them for you.

If you tire of them (pun!) and feel like tossing them out, I'd pay for your time and shipping to send 'em my way.

I detailed the tire's performance flaws...

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-23-20 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Removed Insults
Old 09-21-20, 06:42 AM
hokiefyd 

I shared my experience because you said you couldn't get your tubeless tires to set with tubes in them. My Vittoria tires are also tubeless, and I mentioned them because I was able to run them with tubes with a lot of inflation pressure to set the beads. I suggested you contact Vittoria and share your concerns with them. You respond with insults and non-productive language.

I guess we're done here.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 09-21-20 at 06:46 AM.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-23-20, 09:42 AM
Aladin

I shared my experience because you said you couldn't get your tubeless tires to set with tubes in them. My Vittoria tires are also tubeless, and I mentioned them because I was able to run them with tubes with a lot of inflation pressure to set the beads. I suggested you contact Vittoria and share your concerns with them. You respond with insults and non-productive language.

I guess we're done here.

Tire simply sucks.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-23-20 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Removed Insults
Old 09-23-20, 09:54 AM
Aladin

Now... ran the Moto last eve w a midweight road set of rubber.. w TUBES. 22t's 25mm front and 32mm rear Ultra ll's. Speed was noticeably faster than the sheeeiiit Dry's.

Av speed 12.5 (slooow for me) for a 21 mi turn.. wind 9 av.. legs DOA of late.. 240+ mi last 10 days. Frame does drag in air.. any hybrid configuration is going to. And.. stem height while ideal for most buyers gives a higher profile than the usual riders.. Litespeeds. And comparing Ti vs al for ride is foolish... but part of this purchase scenario.. that comparison. And how the suspension front factors in.

At $315 delivered for my door... terrific value. Well made bicycle.. easily the quality of the 'teek' at double the cost which I evaluated locally.

Now.. when time allows.. some roll-out tests.