Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shifter recommendations for old Motobecane?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 06:19 PM
marciedanger

Bikes: 1982 Motobecane Grand Touring (Marcie Danger); 1981 Fuji Royale (Yoshimi)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm new to posting in the forums, but read a lot when I was looking for a vintage bike earlier this summer. I ended up finding a 1982 Motobecane Grand Touring that had barely ever been ridden, and I've had so much fun biking around NYC. She didn't need much of anything but a good tune up - the only problem I have is that shifting is sort of a nightmare. The bike has Shimano stem shifters that theoretically can function as friction or index shifters, but they always flip back to index mode while I'm riding which doesn't work with the bike at all. I want to replace them, but don't know what exactly to look for. I'm fairly sure the current shifters aren't original. Would it be better to switch back to downtube shifters? The downtube clamp is a Suntour. Other info (have no idea if this is relevant) - it's a 21 speed, Huret derailleur.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old 10-15-20, 06:46 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I would go with Suntour bar end shifters. It’s nice to keep your hands on the bars in traffic.
If you want to go with downtube shifters, Suntour Power Shifters are very nice.
both of those options are friction.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 10-15-20, 07:02 PM
DuraAcer

Bikes: 1979 Olmo SG Full Panto, 1986 DeRosa SLX, 1989 Eddy Merckx SLX Team-Stuttgart, 1994 Albuch Kotter Cromor, 2006 Campus/Rohloff

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hello there,

if the bikes has not been moved in a long time, you should first of all replace all cables and must get new Brakepads (Koolstop/Swss-Stop) - if you cant find the same one, use the next best that looks kinda same.

Then you should adjust the cable tension, usually you do not have to readjust the High-Low Settings/Screws, just with the Barell-adjuster where your cable liners ends. Then shift in to the 2nd Gear and Check the alignment, just look down the cassette to the pulley-wheels, they should make a straight line and no odd noises.

After that you should have great indexed shifter again and probably do not need anything else, but the cables/liners, brakepads and a few drops of Chainoil and grease.

If you are not sure how and what to do, just look a few generic Youtube Videos about derailleur adjustment, then you will get the idea.

If shifting is still bad, then you should check your dropout alignment, on the YT Channel "RJ The Bike Guy" you can find very useful guides how to do it and build your own tools for just a few bucks.

Wish you all best!

Greetz!
Old 10-15-20, 07:24 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by marciedanger
Would it be better to switch back to downtube shifters?
Yes ... maybe unless you're 6'6" with short arms. Then, barcons.

Ratcheting lends a nice level of refinement to a triple. It's -- dare I use this dreaded word -- an upgrade.
Old 10-15-20, 07:47 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
My 83 Grand Touring. I replaced the downtube shifters with bar ends, which is generally my preferred mode. I went with Dia Compe because I had them in the box of crap, otherwise I would have gotten some Suntour Barcons. All friction shifting.

Old 10-15-20, 09:14 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
I have the same bike, so maybe mine is an 83 since it is the same color as the one above? anyway, it came with sparkly Huret downtube shifters and I like them. I think if a shifter "flips back into index mode" it is busted (or needs to be tightened), pick out a working replacement on fleabay lots of choices, I recommend Huret to match or Suntour for their durability
Old 10-16-20, 03:30 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by marciedanger
The bike has Shimano stem shifters that theoretically can function as friction or index shifters, but they always flip back to index mode while I'm riding which doesn't work with the bike at all.

- it's a 21 speed, Huret derailleur.
I'd be checking that the Shimano shifters are correctly assembled and installed on the clamp. They're not supposed to flip back and if they do there's something loose/in-the-wrong-place/broken/missing.

Which Huret? If you're after originality whatever came with it you'll find on ebay. If you just want a french shifter the Huret Jubilee ones are nice, they have a cam that increases cable pull as you move it through the arc; and of course retrofrictions in their various guises are lovely quiet things.
Old 10-16-20, 08:24 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
as the housing stop is Suntour my guess is that the original shifters were Suntour barcons.
as others have said they would make a very nice upgrade. your stem shifters are not working correctly
they need replacing. the only reason to use Jubile shifters is to upgrade to the whole Jubile
derailleur set (the shifters are the low point of the set) many people believe the Jubile rear derailleur
to be the most elegant bicycle part ever made (you'll need to use the long arm version which is not as pretty)
the short arm one will only handle 24T smoothly (you can max it to 26 or 28T with tricks used)