Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

sprinting with eggbeaters dangerous?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 03:14 PM
myclem
Señor Member

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal, Van Dessel Gin & Trombones, Rawland Stag, Bianchi SASS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Someone commented on my CB eggbeaters at last weekend's race saying they're dangerous in sprints because they're more likely to unclip when you "throw down" some real power.

I love my eggbeaters, race with them in cyclocross with no problems, and have them on all my bikes.

Anyone have any evidence to corroborate his statement?

Didn't Fast Freddy use plain ol' eggbeaters? If that's true, then they should easily be able to handle the fraction of his sprint power that I might toss around.
Old 03-29-10, 03:21 PM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was just talking to a guy yesterday (cat 3) who did a road race using his CX bike (some gravel roads and a bit of single track). He was going to win, was headed down to the finish (on a normal road) and crashed because he came unclipped (SPD's).

Nothing is guaranteed, but road pedals are more secure. period.
Likes For slim_77:
Old 03-29-10, 04:06 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A lot of people use eggbeater for cross and those races are basically stacked sprints.
Old 03-29-10, 04:08 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by myclem
Didn't Fast Freddy use plain ol' eggbeaters? If that's true, then they should easily be able to handle the fraction of his sprint power that I might toss around.
I thought they were Quattros, but it's the same retention design, just with a plastic surround. May have made it more stable for sprinting, I don't know.

Old 03-29-10, 04:34 PM
sooprvylyn
I suck, but you're worse

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride Beaters on all my bikes and have for years. Never a problem with unclipping. I suspect the naysayers feel they need to justify the $150+ clipless wonderpedals they just shelled out for when you got your pedals for a song and they will last forever, they clean themselves, and they have 4-side entry. Add platforms to the basic eggbeater design and you got some pretty sturdy pedals.

I'll never switch.
Old 03-29-10, 04:37 PM
pkpsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would wager a bet that the majority of "I unclipped in a sprint, must be my spds" comments are because of poor form rather than secureness of the pedal's tension system.

I have spd-sl pedals and poor form so take the comment for what its worth.
Old 03-29-10, 04:46 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sooprvylyn
I ride Beaters on all my bikes and have for years. Never a problem with unclipping. I suspect the naysayers feel they need to justify the $150+ clipless wonderpedals they just shelled out for when you got your pedals for a song and they will last forever, they clean themselves, and they have 4-side entry. Add platforms to the basic eggbeater design and you got some pretty sturdy pedals.
I paid about the same for my Eggbeaters and Speedplays. I don't think cost has anything to do with anything. I use them on my cross bike but I much prefer the Speedplays on the road.
Old 03-29-10, 04:49 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pkpsu
I would wager a bet that the majority of "I unclipped in a sprint, must be my spds" comments are because of poor form rather than secureness of the pedal's tension system.
I think that is a fair assesment, but I also think that it is easier to unclip with SPD and Eggbeaters if you have poor form than with some of the road pedals. I've only used Speedplay for road pedals so I can't comment on the others, but it's really damn hard to unclip because of poor form. I've used SPDs and Eggbeaters and while the held my foot in just fine, if you are sloppy your foot can come out relatively easily.
Old 03-29-10, 04:51 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I have become "disengaged" a few times when throwing down.

The first time was with toes clips and shoes with a slotted cleat. I was doing a ride on unfamiliar roads and we made a left turn onto a ridiculously steep pitch. That time my foot came out of the shoe and the shoe stayed attached to the pedal.

The other times were when my cleats were very worn out and should have been replaced.

I didn't crash on any of these, but it each time it was pretty close.

I do have to say for full disclosure that I have my retention dialed up to 11.
Old 03-29-10, 05:15 PM
pkpsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I think that is a fair assesment, but I also think that it is easier to unclip with SPD and Eggbeaters if you have poor form than with some of the road pedals. I've only used Speedplay for road pedals so I can't comment on the others, but it's really damn hard to unclip because of poor form. I've used SPDs and Eggbeaters and while the held my foot in just fine, if you are sloppy your foot can come out relatively easily.
well said, I'll buy it.
Old 03-29-10, 05:19 PM
myclem
Señor Member

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal, Van Dessel Gin & Trombones, Rawland Stag, Bianchi SASS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking that form has more to do with it than the specific pedal system. I've actually only had a problem NOT unclipping when I endo'ed over a fallen rider in a CX race--the bike stayed glued to me and I was writhing around in the mud for about 10 seconds trying to get unclipped.

For my road race bike, I have plain SL eggbeaters but use the Quattro cleats with the built-in pontoon thingies. Not as easy to engage with a backstroke compared to mtn cleats, but they feel secure enough thus far. My max measured wattage is only around 1250, but I haven't really done any pure power/sprint workouts, spending most of my time at or just over/under threshold.

Really, I just don't want to be a danger to myself or any of the other hard-workin' fellas around me in a bunch sprint.
So I threw this out there to see what your collective anecdotal experience is. (Is "collective anecdotal" an oxymoron?)
Old 03-29-10, 05:54 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

I have spd-sl pedals and poor form so take the comment for what its worth.
Poor form might not help, but it's simply much easier to pull out of SPDs than road pedals (no idea on Eggbeaters, but my impression was that they don't release as easily as SPDs do). This makes sense as an element of pedal design; it's supposed to be easy to get out of MTB pedals fast to put a foot down. I pulled out of SPDs a couple times before I switched to road pedals. I managed to keep it upright both times, but I came pretty close to eating pavement. Scary! I've never once pulled out of the Performance pedals (Look Delta clones) or Speedplay Zeros I've subsequently switched to.

That said, I've not pulled out of SPDs in a sprint a lot more often than I have pulled out of SPDs in a sprint, and I never came out of a pedal during an actual race. The pedals that another rider is using are pretty low down on my list of concerns about the people I'm racing with.
Old 03-29-10, 06:17 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I raced on (mtn) SPDs last year, which was stupid. They creaked/gave at about 800 watts, didn't feel solid.

Now sprinting on speedplays I could break 1,000w much more easily.

Maybe my SPDs just weren't adjusted right, but they sucked for racing. Might not help the OP but someone else..

my race videos
Likes For mattm:
Old 03-29-10, 06:21 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someone commented...
you weren't riding a black bianchi w/ a wired powertap harness, were you?...

Originally Posted by umd
I think that is a fair assesment, but I also think that it is easier to unclip with SPD and Eggbeaters if you have poor form than with some of the road pedals. I've only used Speedplay for road pedals so I can't comment on the others, but it's really damn hard to unclip because of poor form. I've used SPDs and Eggbeaters and while they held my foot in just fine, if you are sloppy your foot can come out relatively easily.
this one.

Originally Posted by slim_77
Nothing is guaranteed, but road pedals are more secure. period.
yep

You rode a good race, you've obviously got plenty of firepower, eggbeaters will probably be fine... but they felt sketchy to me whenever I got sloppy at all in a sprint.
YMMV,
hope to see you around at the other races, come find mattm & I at the RCR tent sometime.
Old 03-29-10, 07:36 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I think road pedals are much more secure period. Even cheaper Shimano 105 pedals will be better. There's a reason you rarely, if ever, see eggbeaters on track bikes.
Old 03-29-10, 07:41 PM
myclem
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
you weren't riding a black bianchi w/ a wired powertap harness, were you?...
Yup, that would be me. It was good to meet/talk with you afterwards. Like I said, you did a good job softening up the group early on. Too bad your teammate flatted.

You rode a good race, you've obviously got plenty of firepower, eggbeaters will probably be fine... but they felt sketchy to me whenever I got sloppy at all in a sprint.
YMMV,
Thanks. I've got some Shimano DA pedals that came with the bike. Won't hurt to try it out and see if there's a functional difference. I just didn't have the cleats for them at the time, so I just plopped my spare set of beaters on there. (One pedal system on all my bikes is just plain convenient, too.)

hope to see you around at the other races, come find mattm & I at the RCR tent sometime.
Will do. Probably Volunteer Park next.

Cheers.
Old 03-29-10, 08:22 PM
JourneyLightly
simplifying

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I raced with Eggbeaters all last season and a couple races this season. They never unclipped unintentionally, in a sprint or otherwise. If your form is such that your heels swing out enough to approach the release angle during a sprint, then other pedals might be safer. (You might want to work on your form, too.) The only other scenario I can imagine for coming unclipped is if you're built like Hoy and doing kilo standing starts. I'm 153lbs and maxed out at 1400 watts, and I never generated enough force to rip the cleats from the pedals.

As an aside, I recently switched to SPD-SLs -- because I bought nicer shoes, not because there was anything wrong with the Eggbeaters. I wrote a dissertation about using Eggbeaters on the road, if you're interested: https://amplewritings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-10, 11:08 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...you did a good job softening up the group early on. Too bad your teammate flatted.
Will do. Probably Volunteer Park next.
yeah - I got him OTF on Sat and then a 2man TT / launch solo FTW - pity it didn't happen yesterday, but that's life.
See you in a few weeks!
Old 03-29-10, 11:10 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
oh, I totally understand having only one pedal system - I run Time pedals for everything, even the cross bike on non-race days.
I'm sure you'll be okay, knowing what the possible danger is mostly what I was thinking about when I mentioned it.
Old 03-30-10, 12:01 AM
myclem
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I have become "disengaged" a few times when throwing down.
The first time was with toes clips and shoes with a slotted cleat...That time my foot came out of the shoe and the shoe stayed attached to the pedal.
I did that once when I was about 15 on my old Raleigh Technium with toeclips and sneakers trying to outsprint the neighborhood dog.

Originally Posted by JourneyLightly
I wrote a dissertation about using Eggbeaters on the road, if you're interested: https://amplewritings.blogspot.com/
Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing that.

Since I'm a "just see for yourself" kinda guy and already have the shimano pedals in my parts bin, I'll try them out.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-30-10, 05:04 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Not really. SPDs - and other mountain-oriented pedals - are designed to allow easier unclipping. It is far easier for me to get out of my SPDs and Frogs than it is to SPD-SLs or Speedplay Zeros. I went OTB while on a downhill run on my MTB - managed to unclip my Frogs and land on my feet. With road pedals, that'd be a new helmet.

Were I able to put out any kind of BB-busting watts, I'd hesitate to use mountain clipless pedals while sprinting as well. Maybe if you use mountain clipless pedals enough, you get used to them and so reduce the risk of accidental unclipping - but if you can avoid it, why not?

V.
Old 03-30-10, 08:26 AM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vkalia
Not really. SPDs - and other mountain-oriented pedals - are designed to allow easier unclipping. It is far easier for me to get out of my SPDs and Frogs than it is to SPD-SLs or Speedplay Zeros. I went OTB while on a downhill run on my MTB - managed to unclip my Frogs and land on my feet. With road pedals, that'd be a new helmet.

Were I able to put out any kind of BB-busting watts, I'd hesitate to use mountain clipless pedals while sprinting as well. Maybe if you use mountain clipless pedals enough, you get used to them and so reduce the risk of accidental unclipping - but if you can avoid it, why not?

V.
This.

OP, I think you will really like the DA pedals. I use eggbeaters for CX and SPD-SLs for the road and the difference is huge. You will feel more secure and that is nice (because you actually are!)...the last think you want headed into a sprint is a negative/distracting thought going through your noodle.

The cleats are ~$20...try them out. You will like.

Also, Road shoes vs Mtn shoes make a huge difference...its not been said, but if you've got two pair, the two pedal systems will never compete with each other and convenience won't be an issue. Unless you are just really into symmetry...
Old 03-30-10, 09:05 AM
myclem
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. I have a 2 pairs of shoes, road and mtn, so it won't be a big problem. It's just been nice if I've been commuting in this rainy PacNW weather to be able alternate shoes while one pair dries from the night before.
Old 03-30-10, 09:15 AM
dmotoguy
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just switched back do spd-sl's after riding my cross bike all winter.. SUCH a nice feeling to be off the eggbeaters. You feel totally secure and stable on road pedals, I have not ever felt that way on any mtb pedal.
Old 03-30-10, 09:43 AM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not all mountain pedals are created equal, just like not all road pedals are created equal (don't believe me? ask the road forum)

spd's != cb's

I'm curious if the poster who thought crank bros pedals feel sketchy has ridden speedplays? in my experience, spd's can come unintentionally unclipped while the only way of getting cb's off is by getting as much twist as I need to get out of my spd-sl's. The main difference is that "skating on ice" feeling that comes with cb's as compared to keo's or spd-sl's, imho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.