Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

POSITIVE experiences with cycling-related businesses

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

POSITIVE experiences with cycling-related businesses

Old 05-21-10, 01:43 PM
DownTownie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI... So I bought my Townie from REI.com about 15 days ago. In the mean time, REI is now having their anniversary sale (touted as the "biggest sale of the year"). As it happens, my bike is now on sale, a full 15% off.

I go online, enter into a chat session in real time, explain that I just bought my bike at full price, she looks up the transaction, and credits me for the sale price with a $70 refund to my credit card.

Now that's the way to do business. Besides, I am now going to spend that money on a couple Yakima racks while they are on sale for 20% off too.

Jim
Old 07-19-10, 03:36 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good thread Thanks!
Old 07-19-10, 07:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I participated in the NYC Triathlon. There were somewhere between 5,000 and 5,500 participants. Toga Bike Shop of NYC was there doing all support. They were terrific. The chained a zillion floor pumps to the fence of the transition area so many of us were pumping our tires at once. They had a support van (or perhaps several vans) going up and down the course. And they had two mechanic station areas personned by about three mechanics each. It was all included in the fee (or maybe they did it for free) because they wouldn't accept money for their help. Of course, I tipped the guy who worked on my bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-11-10, 11:09 PM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a local guy on CL (lives like 5 minutes from me). After screwing around with my RD and it not shifting correctly (turns out my hanger was bent like 2-3 deg, something I wouldn't have caught at all. Probably from shipping). Anyways, $20 for him straightening it out, de-greasing and re-greasing the chain, truing both my wheels and adjusting the throw on the shifters (much more responsive now).

Best $20 i've spent thus far.
Old 08-12-10, 07:18 PM
seawind161
Increasingly Marginalized

Bikes: Heckler, Dean Scout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Profile Design

A thumbs-up for Profile Design: I have a half-dozen of their "Kage" bottle cages, the ones that use a rubber o-ring as part of their retention system.

On a couple of the older cages, the o-ring has finally broken. I e-mailed Profile last Wednesday, and they e-mailed me back later that same day and said they would send me some rings, and on Monday a small handful of them arrived here by mail. I was impressed!
Old 08-14-10, 05:33 PM
chipg5

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great experience on tour with Garrison's Cyclery in Centerville Delaware, outside of Wilmington.

I was on a fully loaded Jamis Aurora and rode a rough trail, resulting in broken spokes and a badly out of true wheel. I got it "fixed" at a bike shop the next morning, but by the evening a spoke was broken and others were very loose.

I checked online and found Garrison's was right on my route, and it sounded good from their website. The next day I met a local cyclist who confirmed they were very good.

I got there, they were very busy, but the owner Rob took pity on a touring biker and on the spot fixed up my wheel, which he said had been in the process of failing. He said it was a patch job but it would get me through the rest of my tour, about 200 miles, if I was gentle on it. And it did. Total cost was $10.

Excellent shop, the owner is a great guy.
Old 08-27-10, 05:51 PM
KevinSCo

Bikes: Caad 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Veloworx in Venice CA -- I broke a Shimano 105 shifter, they removed and sent the old one to shimano for replacement under warranty, put a temporary dura ace shifter on to minimize time without the bike, and installed the new 105 replacement -- all for the cost of shipping and about $20 bucks for one of their guys to go back and forth from the UPS store. Note, all this even though I bought the bike elsewhere. Outstanding. They always have time to talk and explain how to do work you want to learn how to do yourself. Sukeon is terrific as is his chief mechanic. I'm buying my next bike at Veloworx.
Old 09-03-10, 05:15 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Shop near a trail in the area -- stopped in to look for lightweight full-finger gloves, but all they had on display were the usual cutoff-finger gloves. The salesman asked if I really wanted full-finger versions, and I explained that I've tried short gloves, but my fingers sweat enough that full fingers are necessary. He went into their stock room, pulled out a pair of Bellwether full-finger gloves, and just gave them to me. They were the last pair they had, and a size too small (IMO), but still, free gloves are free gloves, even if I just give 'em to someone else.

+1 for free gear.

I also mentioned that I'm thinking of converting my city bike (which I rode there) to drops. He said that for the shifters alone, I'd be looking at $400+.

Yeah, right. -1 for lying to me about MSRP.
Old 09-04-10, 08:48 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Yeah, right. -1 for lying to me about MSRP.
That's a shame, but this thread is for positive experiences.

My bands:
Old 09-15-10, 02:41 AM
crowe

Bikes: custom rigid single speed MTB, rad fixed gear thrasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
capital cycles in wellington city are great- have helped me a number of times with spoke length (incl swaps, and replacements when they arn't right) as i have been learning to build wheels- allways positive and good advice. - PLUS they guys there have a huge stash of goodies somewhere out back which if your lucky, every now and the they will bust out some cool old kit that raced in some famous race somewhere - and happens to be just what you need- and offer it free or cheap. great effort guys.

p.s. +1 to velocity, for making things i cant break.
Old 10-23-10, 01:03 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
World X.C and ski In Boise Idaho they dont get a whole lotta sales from me (just cant afford the fancy stuff) but they have bar none the best service of ANY shop or store ive been to. They are always willing to special order weird small things im looking for and don't "hate" older bikes. I would love to save up the money to buy a new bike from them and plan on it soon, But if any of you are in or around boise id suggest checking them out.
Old 11-07-10, 06:12 PM
Dirtbagfitness
Fledgling Triathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honolulu, HI- Island Tri and Bike. Like one of the above posts, most of the stuff they have is well above my price range, but I've been in multiple times for shoes, gear, sizing, and the like. I've dealt with a different person every time and every time the salesman was polite, knowledgeable, and friendly. They all spent a ton of time answering all my newbie questions about bikes, riding, and triathlons. Every time I leave I wish I had the cash to buy a bike from them, its the only place on the island I'd go for a new bike. Can't fake that level of love of sport.
Old 11-08-10, 05:59 PM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both Nashbar and Performance have given me good service. My local bike shop The Bike Works in Fredericksburg is also very good.

Joe
Old 11-29-10, 06:36 AM
Biketothestars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found bikester to be pretty good...no delays in delivery...wide product range, decent prices.
Old 11-29-10, 08:01 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Performance for taking parts off of a new Topeak pump to replace the gasket Topeak wanted to charge me $5 for. The pump was out of warranty, but the Performance employee didn't even check the computer to make sure I really did buy it from them.
Old 12-01-10, 09:20 PM
M.Alex

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I live about two blocks from Frank's Bike Shop in Manhattan, New York and my experiences have always been pretty good.
I replaced some stock tires in summer there and it went really well. One of the guys there only charged me for the armadillos tires
and not for labor because of my loyalty to the shop.(I was only there about 7 times prior to that)
My bike has been stolen since but I plan on going there to get a new one once the winter chill passes.
Old 12-06-10, 06:30 AM
jesda

Bikes: '2010 Trek 7.5 hybrid, 2010 Next PowerX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maplewood Cycle in St Louis MO -- Outstanding service. Bought my bike and some accessories there. Highly knowledgeable people with excellent advice.

REI in Brentwood MO -- Opened just a few months ago. Lots of good stuff, excellent service.
Old 12-28-10, 10:43 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Devil's Gear Bike Shop in New Haven CT.

I've done a bunch of business there, so they're accommodating, but I observe that they treat riders of all levels and interests well.

Here's what they helped me put together for my father:

They're very vintage friendly!
Old 02-18-11, 09:30 AM
hurley1718

Bikes: Scott S60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Bang Bikes - Pittsburgh PA

I bought my bike there 2 summers ago. Helped me a lot with my first road bike purchase. I got a proper fit for the bike I picked up. I haven't been in the shop for awhile because I tore a ligament in my foot in the spring and couldn't ride until the fall then was limited by my previous job. Now I am in the process of upgrading my group to Rival, I need some tools, I stop in and the owner still remember me and the bike I bought.

I will be going back as soon as I finished my upgrade because my crank is now 175 so I want to get fitted again.
Old 02-25-11, 08:53 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
The Colorado Springs Bike Shop, (Colorado Ave. and 7th. St., Colorado Springs, CO.). Not only did these folks go out of their way to take care of my "Wal-Mart POS's", when we were a bit "down and out", financial wise, they really helped us thru "bike pains" to find out what we "really" wanted. They are a "Family Bike Shop", not a stuck up Pro style shop and they've even helped us get into our new "Sun Recumbents", something they only sale a few a year!! They really make us feel "at home"!

Old 03-11-11, 05:58 AM
Guitarrick

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found a great online store, treefortbikes.com. They price match every item you add to your cart, you just can't beat it. They just spanked other online stores on a Park Tool repair stand, they made a few of them look like con artists. I placed an order Sunday night, chose the slowest free ground shipping and my 2 oversized boxes were here first thing Wednesday morning (in bulletproof packaging). As long as they have what I'm looking for, they're my only online retailer from now on, period ---> .

Well, them and Wayne from the touringstore, of course. I just got my Tubus Ergo rack and Lone Peak P-150 panniers from him yesterday. They all should be as good as Wayne!
Old 03-13-11, 08:08 PM
cbsavestheworld

Bikes: Free Spirit - Brittany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek shop in Vista, CA greased the kick stand on my 1980s Free Spirit for free! That was pretty sweet!

https://cbsavestheworld.blogspot.com/
Old 04-07-11, 11:55 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For those in the Minneapolis, MN area, I’ve had very good experiences at Ramsey Bicycles: https://www.ramseybicycles.com

Many years ago I used to bike a bit. When I started looking at getting back into biking my brother recommended Ramsey Bicycle, he was correct, they are very good.

Ramsey Bicycles is about everything you could ask of a local bike store. The owner, Al Adams, manages and operates the store, he makes it very easy to do business. They’re family friendly with bikes for kids, along with road, track, cyclocross, and mountain bikes.

They’ve been happy to spend time answering all my questions about bikes and biking. They have lifetime free yearly minor tune ups for your new bike.

Ramsey also sponsors the Ramsey Cycling Club. The club is open to all riders. Last year, in cooperation with the City of Ramsey, they put on a ride that was open to all comers. It was a fun, gentle, flat nine mile ride though the city with four rest stops. They had youngsters, teenagers, parents, grand parents, riders of all ages and abilities, all having fun. Hopefully it was just the first of many yearly Ramsey City rides.

For the more advanced riders, the club is an active USA Cycling club and has licensed racers in road, track, cyclocross, and mountain biking.

I don’t think you could go wrong at Ramsey Bicycle.
Old 04-27-11, 05:06 AM
w98seeng

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought 2 sets of CR720s (front and rear) from Jenson (lowest price I found) and they were delivered in less than 4 days. I out them on my bike and I noticed that one set didn't have the cable clamp plate or bolt.

I contacted Jenson on their site chat and the guy told me to send a picture of the problem to them, which I did right away.

Monday night I got an email saying that not only had they sent out a new set of CR720's but they sent it USPS Priority Mail instead of standard shipping.

I am very impressed with this customer service and I will definatly use them again.

Ian
Old 05-10-11, 01:47 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Bent Up Cycles in Van Nuys CA. I ordered a mirror from them as a gift for my sister, something I'd originally tried to do with Peter White Cycles. They made it easy and a pleasure, and I'd do business with them again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.