Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

DIY Bike Plow

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

DIY Bike Plow

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 09:33 AM
Oramas
don't door me bro!

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DIY Bike Plow

Pedal Powered Snow Plow

Old 01-24-11, 03:05 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That's awesome and seems to work well. Are you trying to get a job with your city's road maintenance crew? It never ceases to amaze me the ingenuity of people.

p.s. your neighbors only think your odd because they hadn't thought of the idea. Or their pissed because you are done in 1/4 of the time that they take.
Old 01-26-11, 02:06 PM
Oramas
don't door me bro!

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
Are you trying to get a job with your city's road maintenance crew?
Nope, not even me in the picture or article. Just thought it was a interesting Kluge way of moving the snow around.
Old 01-26-11, 04:07 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Steering wheel for a handlebar? As if the plow wasn't unique enough...
Old 01-27-11, 07:50 PM
Hezz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is more of what you need: With the BB moved down stream a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
assembly03.jpg (90.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-28-11, 02:52 AM
M.Alex

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
LOL.

You have to be breaking into a sweat after using that. Doesn't look like fun =[
Old 01-28-11, 03:08 AM
Carley P.

Bikes: 2013 Niner EMD (29er), 2012 Motobecane New Fantom Cross (Cyclocross), Vintage Schwinn Voyegeur set up in city mode w/ wald basket (Commuting), and a nashbar road frame w/ Shimano 600 components (wife's bike).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like making that bike fixed would make it more useful. It would be a lot easier to reverse. Also, I would think the plow would be at more of an angle so that you could push the snow off to the side. It actually doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. It could be improved to make it more practical.

I would never have the space to store a trike-snowplow for the few times I would actually use it though. Regardless, it's nice to see DIY things, and they're almost always really fun to do.
Old 01-28-11, 06:00 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M.Alex
LOL.

You have to be breaking into a sweat after using that. Doesn't look like fun =[
Not meant to be fun. It's meant to do real work. So you are going to sweat. You sweat on a bike ride anyway. It's geared so low you can only go 2-3 MPH. It's made to clear a bike path with 4 inches of snow or less.
Old 01-28-11, 06:04 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carley P.
I feel like making that bike fixed would make it more useful. It would be a lot easier to reverse. Also, I would think the plow would be at more of an angle so that you could push the snow off to the side. It actually doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. It could be improved to make it more practical.

I would never have the space to store a trike-snowplow for the few times I would actually use it though. Regardless, it's nice to see DIY things, and they're almost always really fun to do.
The only problem is that it is ridiculus. It would be harder to move snow with that thing than to shovel it by hand. IT won't work with more than an inch or so. Or if the snow is really heavy.
Old 01-28-11, 08:01 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you have a bike, why do you need to clear driveways? Just take a little air our of the tires and you will "float"over the snow.
Old 01-28-11, 09:57 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
There's enough snow piled up in front of the plow to stop me dead. And yes, you need to be able to back up.

I agree with Hezz. My feet and a shovel would work better.
Old 01-28-11, 11:07 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
This is an interesting design. It drags behind the bike.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-28-11, 11:14 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Watch out for heaved concrete and potholes... get your plow to my bikelane soon!
Old 01-29-11, 05:53 AM
vXhanz
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a link to the guy that actually made the snow plow above, at least he admits that it's worthless with heavier snow fall. Pretty creative though.

https://www.neatorama.com/2011/01/20/...ered-snowplow/
Old 01-29-11, 05:56 AM
vXhanz
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
This is an interesting design. It drags behind the bike.

I wonder if there is any weight attached to the plow on the top to keep it from "floating" above the packed snow. I like the idea, almost seems like it would be like riding a trainer or doing your own tractor pull.
Old 01-30-11, 08:08 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
That's a snow-mover -not a snow plow.

Sure, you can probably move a limited amount of snow around -especially on virgin ground with light fluffy snow. Try coming back next time after you've made a pass and a bank and plowing more the second time, or the third time or the 20th time in the season.

It can't even back up. Anyone who has ever plowed snow seriously knows this is just a toy/conversation piece. It's got absolutely no practical use other than for a photo op or maybe a short video (as long as the camera operator is being generous and the snow is very light. A shovel and a strong back will work -this toy won't be able to finish the job even once.

Even a heavy-duty ATV with 4WD is insufficient to plow any but the smallest driveway or sidewalk for the whole season in places where it actually snows enough to accumulate. Once you make a snow bank the first pass it gets harder and harder to move the snow and push it off the area you are trying to clear. Most folks that use ATV's with a snow blade to clear their own residential driveways have to hire a real snow plow truck once or twice a year to push the bank back because they lack the grunt to do it themselves. At least that is the case around the Midwest where it actually snows and accumulates. Snow is HEAVY.

But hey, were bike people and want to prove to the world that that internal-combustion vehicles are unnecessary and everyone should use bikes for everything -so a bike plow makes us feel special, right?
Old 01-30-11, 08:16 AM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a great idea! Now, make a slight design modification and put a lawnmower on your bike and come over to my house this spring for a test ride.
Old 01-30-11, 10:07 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Good thing we've got BF's detectives on the case or we'd never realise that this guy just made this for kicks and small snowfalls... I mean, it's not enough that the guy that made it said "Totally useless with larger snow falls, but the light ones make snow removal fun.", nope, we need a thread full of snark and useless blowing of hot air. If you think the guy that made this bike plow did it for anything other than a few laughs and something to do one night, you're sorely mistaken... let me tell you, SON, SNOW IS HEAVY!!!!!!!!! HUR HUR HUR!
Old 01-30-11, 10:33 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
If you think the guy that made this bike plow did it for anything other than a few laughs and something to do one night, you're sorely mistaken... let me tell you, SON, SNOW IS HEAVY!!!!!!!!! HUR HUR HUR!
You are probably right, but a lot of folks look at this and don't seem to get that.

If the guy did it for anything other than a quick laugh and a photo-op then he soon learned otherwise. I'd be willing to bet that this bike is no longer configured as a "snow plow" as it would be absolutely worthless as anything but garage filler and/or display purposes.

And the correct wording is "Herp Derp!" -silly candidians...