Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Rewarding bike friendly businesses

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-14-14, 09:14 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'd like to reward local businesses that are bike friendly by designing some kind of a sticker that the cycling advocacy group I'm a member of could reward them with. This would say something simple like "Welcome Cyclists" or "Bike Friendly Business," and the proprietor could display it in his or her shop window.

I was wondering if similar programs exist in your towns and cities.
Old 07-14-14, 09:35 AM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rather than ask THEM to do something (more than what they already do), how about mentioning them on a local bike club/forum website -- a paragraph and/or their business logo; or, simply using word-of-mouth to spread it around. Just a thought.
Old 07-14-14, 09:43 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5755 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Define "bike friendly". Over decades, I've never had any bike related issues with any business in my area, including many that let me bring it inside and stash it by the side or in an alcove while I'm there.

The only issue I've ever had is with my local branch of Wells Fargo Bank. I usually leave my bike outside while using the lobby ATMs. One day the manager comes out and tells me to stop doing that and bring it in with me because a thief could grab it and run faster than I'd react.

BTW- they do have a rack but it's at the back door by the main parking lot. The manager agrees that it's a dumb place, but the town won't allow it in front. The other WFB branch I often use has a drive up window, and I'm greeted with a nice smile anytime I use it with the bike.

So, IME it's not about bike friendly, but about the few rare exceptions of bike unfriendly business. Otherwise, the post office, bank, super market, fast food joints, pizza shop, and bars would all have signs around here. Even city hall, where the police guards let me leave the bike in the alcove near their desks, though they're careful to remind me to lock it because they won't watch it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-14-14, 10:22 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JBHoren
Rather than ask THEM to do something (more than what they already do), how about mentioning them on a local bike club/forum website -- a paragraph and/or their business logo; or, simply using word-of-mouth to spread it around. Just a thought.
All of that is already being done. I want to take it a step further.
Old 07-14-14, 10:36 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Define "bike friendly". Over decades, I've never had any bike related issues with any business in my area, including many that let me bring it inside and stash it by the side or in an alcove while I'm there.

The only issue I've ever had is with my local branch of Wells Fargo Bank. I usually leave my bike outside while using the lobby ATMs. One day the manager comes out and tells me to stop doing that and bring it in with me because a thief could grab it and run faster than I'd react.

BTW- they do have a rack but it's at the back door by the main parking lot. The manager agrees that it's a dumb place, but the town won't allow it in front. The other WFB branch I often use has a drive up window, and I'm greeted with a nice smile anytime I use it with the bike.

So, IME it's not about bike friendly, but about the few rare exceptions of bike unfriendly business. Otherwise, the post office, bank, super market, fast food joints, pizza shop, and bars would all have signs around here. Even city hall, where the police guards let me leave the bike in the alcove near their desks, though they're careful to remind me to lock it because they won't watch it.
For this project, my definition of a bike friendly business is pretty liberal. All a business owner will really have to do to be considered bike friendly is to not be hostile to cyclists and our interests. There is a small but vocal group of shop owners here who are pressuring our bike unfriendly mayor (who definitely won't be getting a sticker to display in city hall ) to tear out a protected bike lane that is used by 1,600 cyclists a day in order to put in more parking spaces. We want to reward those businesses whose owners realise that we cyclists represent an important percentage of their clientele.
Old 07-14-14, 12:27 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might mention a business as being bike friendly on a Yelp review. However, usually I'll just give that place my business since thats how you should reward them in a capitalistic market for doing something you like.
Old 07-14-14, 03:25 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by walrus1
I might mention a business as being bike friendly on a Yelp review. However, usually I'll just give that place my business since thats how you should reward them in a capitalistic market for doing something you like.
That's one way to reward them, but not the only one. By urging other cyclists to patronize bike friendly businesses and to boycott those that are hostile to cyclists, we can gain more power.
Old 07-14-14, 03:52 PM
bruin11

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a deli/store that we use as a rest stop on some of our club rides. Staff is very friendly, they have a great selection of drinks and snacks and they actually put a bike rack out in the parking lot. I thought that was a nice touch and definitely makes us feel that we are welcome.
Old 07-14-14, 04:25 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
San Diego has the SD Bike Commuter Discount program. For $50/year, businesses can display the sign on their window. If a customer rides his or her bike to the business, they get a discount.
Old 07-14-14, 10:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5755 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
San Diego has the SD Bike Commuter Discount program. For $50/year, businesses can display the sign on their window. If a customer rides his or her bike to the business, they get a discount.
So, if I understand correctly, a business can pay a $50 tribute for the privilege of offering a discount to bike commuters? Sounds like a great bargain.

Of course they can keep the $50.00 and still offer a discount, unless there's some sort of rule against that, and have the added benefit that they're not obligated to discount, and can do so if/when it suits their convenience.

Meanwhile, I get what the OP means by bike unfriendly and thank him for the explanation. Otherwise it seems that most businesses are bike friendly in the sense that they're only too happy to serve us and take our dough (as it should be).

So maybe the OP is going about this the wrong way, and should seek a way to highlight those businesses which are bike unfriendly, and pressuring to end the bike lane or lanes involved. Maybe handing out fliers listing the opposition and asking cyclists to talk to them, or spend elsewhere might be more effective. Or if Spanish law prevents naming them or organizing something that's like a boycott, a flier describing merchant opposition (without naming names) to make folks aware of the existence of this opposition so they can mount a pro bike lane petition drive or do whatever makes sense given local conditions.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-15-14, 05:23 AM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle Friendly Stickers

Don in Austin
Old 07-15-14, 05:56 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

↑↑↑↑ This is my experience also. I think most businesses are bike-friendly already - - because they want my business.
Old 07-15-14, 08:40 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
I love this!