Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

LCF is a circumstance not a lifestyle...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

LCF is a circumstance not a lifestyle...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 08:10 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,633 Times in 3,478 Posts
Attention Folks:

The political commentary in this LCF forum has got to stop. Not just in this thread but in all the LCF threads and ALL the rest of Bike Forums. It's disruptive. That's what the P&R forum is for, so everyone can let off their political steam in a centralized location. We do not want it in the cycling forums. Thanks for understanding.
Old 10-17-16, 08:35 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Apparently a typo. I've messed up a thread title before. Could not fix it. I could edit the post but not the title.
Fixed

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-17-16, 09:42 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
I post responses to posts like these and my posts get deleted but these don't. Why?
Because..

Last edited by BillyD; 10-17-16 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Don't start!
Old 10-17-16, 09:58 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
How can I point out examples of bike-centric employment culture in a car-centric employment culture?
Old 10-17-16, 10:20 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
That picture is a perfect example of something we don't see more of because of the car-centric business/employment culture.

Btw, Idk what kinds of posts are allowed anymore with the P&R strictness currently being levied, but if this is a P&R issue, please feel free to delete my post as well as the post it is in response to.
Old 10-17-16, 10:33 AM
McBTC

The unique circumstances of a gondolier certainly provides possibilities for making use of a flat-bottomed Venetian rowing boat as a chief means of transportation but how much sense would it make to emphasize the LBF (living bicycle free) nature of such a lifestyle?
Old 10-17-16, 11:13 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is that how it works for the workers in the third world countries/economies where living car free is predominant? Care to point out a few examples in the real (not fantasy) world with which you are familiar?
When I was living on the outskirts of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina I had a 17-18 mile commute each way for 18 months. My employer at the time gave me huge leeway for weather. Plus I had a key to the business so I could let myself in at any hour. Sometimes I would leave early to beat a storm, sometimes I had to wait for a storm front to pass over and follow it to work which would of course make me late. Once or twice I just had to take a "weather day" and stay home.

Obviously if an entire company took a "weather day" it would create too much lost revenue. But I could see that a certain culture of non-motorists could be accommodating on a small scale at least. I have friends who live in the frozen tundra of the USA and they get weather days all the time - and they drive cars! In a car-centrist society this is acceptable. Most USA companies would not like me using a bicycle lifestyle as an excuse for missing work. In a bike-centrist community this would be much more acceptable I believe.
Old 10-17-16, 11:16 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Kids, you know that P&R is pretty much banishment for a thread anyway because it's Trollheim Lite.

I'm sticking to people trying not to die in car-bike wrecks and bike lanes and normal stuff.

Maybe after the election when y'all aren't totally freakin' out on that.
Old 10-17-16, 12:05 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Kids, you know that P&R is pretty much banishment for a thread anyway because it's Trollheim Lite.
As a regular contributor to P&R, that's hurtful. True, but sometimes the truth hurts...

For some people LCF is a circumstance. For most LCF in the world, this is the case. That guy in the pic I posted simply does not have the option of loading that stuff into the back of his F-150/E150 and hauling it where it needs to go.

When I visit a close major metro area (Boston), I see people on cheap department store bikes getting around, who look poor and are usually non-white.

Homeless people using bikes much like carts; drunks who have been... encouraged by the state to not drive; older folks who can no longer drive; those mentally or medically prohibited from driving...

And then you get a little bit fringier -- college students riding bikes around.

But once you hit a certain income level, purchase or lease of a car is certainly an option. Even then, however, LCF could be simply as a result of circumstance. Telecommuting job. Job close enough to walk to. A good enough public transit system and comprehensive taxi/rideshare services that car ownership and use is not necessary.

To me, it becomes a lifestyle choice when one consciously opts out of car ownership. Moves to a city; obtains a telecommuting job; downsizes lifestyle; etc. in a purposeful attempt to avoid car ownership for its own sake.

With LCF as circumstance, those living that kind of life might very well opt for a car if their situation changed -- was paid better, moved from the city to the 'burbs, needed a car for job, etc. With those who adopt LCF as a lifestyle change, it would be the opposite -- they change their lives to purposely live without a car. For whatever reasons -- economic, moral/ethical, health, or even *gasp* political.
Old 10-17-16, 12:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Well... I'm just asking... how is this thread helpful to the forum's objective? How can a response to it not be "political"? I for one rarely start threads. I don't see that many threads started by anti-car zealots but I do see a fair number started by "LCF is a hard row to hoe, and no one except the chronic DUI or other marginalized sub-group lives that way" things then devolve into inflammatory rhetoric". I think the present thread is a perfect example. If the thin skinned among you don't want to hear how bad cars are for the environment then don't start threads about LCF as a negative impact lifestyle.
Old 10-17-16, 12:14 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Well... I'm just asking... how is this thread helpful to the forum's objective? How can a response to it not be "political"? I for one rarely start threads. I don't see that many threads started by anti-car zealots but I do see a fair number started by "LCF is a hard row to hoe, and no one except the chronic DUI or other marginalized sub-group lives that way" things then devolve into inflammatory rhetoric". I think the present thread is a perfect example. If the thin skinned among you don't want to hear how bad cars are for the environment then don't start threads about LCF as a negative impact lifestyle.
There's plenty of anti-car zealotry on display in this subforum... and the forum in general (ever checked out A&S...?).

But as my reply above points out (I hope...), it can be useful to differentiate between LCF by choice (lifestyle) or LCF simply because driving is not or no longer an option (circumstance).

It occurs to me that many, if not most who post here, are in the LCF by choice camp, rather than the LCF by circumstance category.

The politics of LCF involves cultural conditioning and legislation which changes circumstances so that LCF is favored and encouraged as a lifestyle choice. Social engineering away from use of cars for personal transportation, as much as current laws and cultural mores have encouraged their use.
Old 10-17-16, 12:42 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This subforum can actually support many common interests among both those LCF by circumstance or by choice!
Old 10-17-16, 01:16 PM
McBTC

With those who adopt LCF as a lifestyle change, it would be the opposite -- they change their lives to purposely live without a car. For whatever reasons -- economic, moral/ethical, health, or even *gasp* political.

True and also the "R" aspect is strong when the 'reasoning' includes apocalyptic pronouncements of those who believe LCF is saving the world from evil petrol consumers who, among other evils, are causing the seas to rise.
Old 10-17-16, 01:25 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by McBTC
True and also the "R" aspect is strong when the 'reasoning' includes apocalyptic pronouncements of those who believe LCF is saving the world from evil petrol consumers who, among other evils, are causing the seas to rise.
Delving into the political issue of climate change is different than the meta-politics of LCF by choice or circumstance.

Personally, I think LCF is a great way to live and a good goal for many. I do wish I could live more CF, but it would involve other changes to my current lifestyle that I'm just not willing to compromise for that cause. LCF is simply not that great a priority in my life. However, if someone wants to go LCF because they think they will change the world, more power to them. Just don't project your ideals on me, pal...

It's kind of like a vegetarian/vegan diet -- there are those who do it because they've bought into political vegetarian arguments, there are those who are vegetarian by circumstance, and there are those who are vegetarian by choice but it has nothing to do with anything poltiical/ecological.
Old 10-17-16, 04:48 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Delving into the political issue of climate change is different than the meta-politics of LCF by choice or circumstance.

Personally, I think LCF is a great way to live and a good goal for many. I do wish I could live more CF, but it would involve other changes to my current lifestyle that I'm just not willing to compromise for that cause. LCF is simply not that great a priority in my life. However, if someone wants to go LCF because they think they will change the world, more power to them. Just don't project your ideals on me, pal...
And don't come around crying about how you're getting projected upon. The is the LCF forum where people can share their thoughts on the benefits of that lifestyle and the evils of cars based on their personal values . There are plenty of auto-zealotry sites you can hang out in if that's not your cup of tea.
Old 10-17-16, 05:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Btw, Idk what kinds of posts are allowed anymore with the P&R strictness currently being levied
Posts about:

Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 10-17-16, 06:10 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
Just don't dare to mention why you prefer it.

Last edited by cooker; 10-17-16 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-17-16, 06:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cooker
Just don't dare to mention why you prefer it.
I prefer my car light lifestyle because, for me, it is less hassle.

I don't have to deal with driving in traffic and looking for parking spots.

It is also less expensive because we don't have to insure, maintain, park etc. two vehicles.

Plus it means I can get some extra exercise, if I want it.
Old 10-17-16, 06:42 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
. . .. . there are those who are vegetarian by circumstance . . . .
OK, there's Gilligan's Island, and . . .
Old 10-17-16, 08:35 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Is it okay to say you avoid cars because you're concerned about the environment or is that "political"?
Old 10-17-16, 09:15 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Ekdog
Is it okay to say you avoid cars because you're concerned about the environment or is that "political"?
Yes because... bicycles don't grow on trees either.
Old 10-17-16, 10:04 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I hope for your sake that the whole Karma thing is just a myth...
Old 10-17-16, 10:09 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

That explains why the rusty chain I planted hasn't produced a crop yet.
Old 10-18-16, 04:10 AM
ZMC888
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I HATE cars.
Get over it already. They pollute the environment.
The people who drive them are often self-entitled and lazy.
They are a contributor to global warming, along with flying and agriculture.

It's not political. It's fact.
Old 10-18-16, 04:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by ZMC888
I HATE cars.
Get over it already. They pollute the environment.
The people who drive them are often self-entitled and lazy.
They are a contributor to global warming, along with flying and agriculture.

It's not political. It's fact.
It's your opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.