Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car Lite Karma

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car Lite Karma

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 09:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
$2/day = $730/year. There is no way you can afford insurance, tires, repairs, maintenance, fuel, and car payments for that amount.
Clearly written by someone who hasn't a clue about fixed and variable car expenses (or the difference), or what anyone who isn't voluntarily earning just enough to survive at a subsistence level can afford.

My current fixed car costs for a 14 year old Sentra are under $600/year; full car insurance at around $500 and registration at $50. No car payments in the last 14 years. Cash payment spread over the last 14 years is about $950 and becomes a smaller number each year. I chose not to work part time for subsistence wages, and because I prefer not to live like a monk or a beggar, sneaking around looking for a free place to sleep, the money spent is not only affordable but also money well spent.

Tires, repairs, maintenance, fuel and other variable costs are minimal for the less than 9000 miles/yr driven per year for the last 14 years. Of course those variable costs are close to zero when the car is not being used for something my wife or I find useful.
Old 10-16-16, 09:56 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I chose not to work part time for subsistence wages, and because I prefer not to live like a monk or a beggar, sneaking around looking for a free place to sleep, the money spent is not only affordable but also money well spent.
I don't consider it living like a monk or a beggar to roam free and sleep where I want. It is just freedom. What is pathetic is that people have become so desperate for money and control that they impede the freedom to go and sleep wherever for free. If you can only 'subsist' on 'subsistence' wages, then it says more about your failure (and society's failure) to achieve the ability to live free and independently without spending money than it does about your failure to make enough money to pay for your dependencies.
Old 10-17-16, 08:11 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
Biked today, but Karma wasn't done with me. Beautiful sunny day again - till I started my ride home. Then it clouded up. Rode hard, thought I'd beat the rain, but karma had other ideas. I guess two miles of rain out of a 22 mile ride is a pretty fair deal.
OK, today's ride was the opposite - it POURED rain for the first 20 miles, stopped when I was 2 miles from home. No way is this just coincidence.

Don't start to think you've outrun Car Lite Karma
Old 10-19-16, 08:33 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't consider it living like a monk or a beggar to roam free and sleep where I want. It is just freedom. What is pathetic is that people have become so desperate for money and control that they impede the freedom to go and sleep wherever for free. If you can only 'subsist' on 'subsistence' wages, then it says more about your failure (and society's failure) to achieve the ability to live free and independently without spending money than it does about your failure to make enough money to pay for your dependencies.
Since when has that been a goal of "society"?
Old 10-20-16, 08:20 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Walter S
Since when has that been a goal of "society"?
Arguably, the republic has always been split between the ethic of free and independent existence and the ethic of strengthening one's position in global capitalist markets via trade. If you want to discuss this further, better start a thread in P&R because big brother.
Old 10-20-16, 08:29 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
I give you credit for caring. A lot of people would opt for the car at times when it is cool and rainy. Thanks for posting your story, because it will help other riders to take a deep breath and put their good gloves on. Keep the fire burnin', and lean into it.
Old 10-20-16, 12:19 PM
ZMC888
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to bike and Matchka.
What the hell is your problem?
Why must people trying to discuss living car free be attacked and derided at every turn? They have every right to be here.

Last edited by making; 10-20-16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 01:32 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Arguably, the republic has always been split between the ethic of free and independent existence and the ethic of strengthening one's position in global capitalist markets via trade. If you want to discuss this further, better start a thread in P&R because big brother.
I think you're using the wrong meaning of free.
Old 10-20-16, 02:11 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
$2/day = $730/year. There is no way you can afford insurance, tires, repairs, maintenance, fuel, and car payments for that amount.
He said he hardly ever drives, so not much in fuel, tires or maintenance costs.
Old 10-20-16, 02:49 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by cooker
He said he hardly ever drives, so not much in fuel, tires or maintenance costs.
When someone describes the cost of something in terms of dollars/day, it makes it sound like they use it daily or almost daily. If something is used once a month or a few times a year, I would describe it in terms of monthly cost, cost per six-months, or cost per use; not cost per day.