Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

All-City 52cm

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

All-City 52cm

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 08:37 PM
sfh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
All-City 52cm

Seeing a lot of frame-size fitting threads so I thought I'd start my own . . .

Looking at new road bikes, and I've found an All-City Mr Pink for a nice price. It's a 52cm frame, and I'm a touch under 5'10" (with socks) and a 33" inseam. I can also get a 55cm version, but I feel like that would be too large for me. I am told that All-City bikes "run big" for their stated size. The 52cm Mr Pink has a 545mm effective top tube and 100mm stem. That's the same as the CAADX I ride now.

I have ridden a 52cm All-City Macho Man . . . didn't feel too small. I test rode 49cm Space-Horse and 49cm Mr Pink . . . those felt small (530mm ETT on those). I found a 54cm Surly Crosscheck Straggler and Kona Rove felt too large (560mm ETT with 100mm stem). That is, my arms would basically lock out while riding on the hoods.

I set my wife's Surly Pacer (50cm) to the correct saddle height to me and was able to get my knees over the pedal spindle while riding. The All-City is longer so I'll have extra room to work with the riding position without slamming the saddle all the way back.

Should anything concern me size-wise about the 52cm frame? I know it's just a label, but I'm struggling to wrap my mind around such a small number for a frame size. I guess I'll have an extra cm of seat post exposed (compared to my CAADX), but that doesn't bother me. I figure I'll order the bike and have the local shop fit me up and cut the (currently uncut) steering tube. But I wanted to seek some opinions here first to gain some confidence that 52 is the right size.
Old 11-28-17, 10:08 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Either one can be made to work for you. My co-worker is your height, with a 34" inseam (he has longer legs and a shorter torso), and he has a 55cm Big Block. He put Salsa Cowchipper bar on it and an 80 mm stem. I think he would have been fine on a 52 with the same bars and a 100 or 110 mm stem, but he likes the handling of a shorter stem (and knew that when he ordered it). I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam and I am comfortable on the 55. I'd probably go with the 52 if I was 5'10" or below.
Old 11-29-17, 08:46 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I'm around 5'10 with a 31.5 inseam and I ride a 52 Macho Man Disc. I wouldn't get wrapped up over the "52" frame size as I believe AC sizes their bikes off of the seat tube length. My 52 actually has a 55 ETT, so it is closer to other brands' "54". I'm a little shorter in the leg than you, so my torso is probably slightly longer and I run a 110 stem on mine. FWIW, if I were to get a Mr Pink, I'd go for the 52.
Old 11-29-17, 05:58 PM
sfh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the replies -- just wanted some confirmation that what I was seeing on the geo charts matched someone's experience. Yes -- All City sizes based on seat tube from BB to top of top tube. I certainly want to avoid a frame that's too big, so I'll go with the 52. I think it won't be hard to get the fit right.