Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Comfortable touring bike for loaded and unloaded rides?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 10:08 AM
rpg5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to touring and looking for feedback on a steel bike that is comfortable for unloaded rides. I hear that some bikes are a bit rough while riding unloaded. The 2 bikes I am looking at are the Marrakesh and Trek 520. Thanks!
Old 04-22-18, 10:19 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I find both of my touring bicycles are comfortable, both loaded and unloaded.

Both feel like station wagons carrying cargo when I am touring: stable and secure.

When I am riding around town carrying no load, neither feels like a racing bike, but both are responsive, steady, and fast enough.
Old 04-22-18, 10:20 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
A friend of mine bought a Trek 520 because he did not want an aluminum frame, he wanted a steel frame for a better ride. And he lived in a small town, the only bike shop in town only sold Treks and he wanted to buy local. He was quite happy with his choice even though he never carried anything on the bike more than a lock and a few water bottles.
Old 04-22-18, 11:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Both are fine, work with the LBS and they will improve the out of the box fit, to be suitable for you.

Yea, the added strength that handles the weight carried so well , stiffness that is offering that benefit , wont go away when not carrying stuff.

I have a Trek Dealership, in my town, you have to get a 520 from one, but Salsa Marrakesh, can be ordered thru any shop with a QBP account..

NB; QBP only ships when your shop pays up front for it, Trek Corp. offers Dealers a rotating line of Credit...

so Having a 520 in stock is more likely ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-22-18 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-22-18, 06:22 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I've found changing tires, or even air pressure in the same tires, can affect ride as well.
Old 04-22-18, 08:08 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just rode my Marrakesh today. I’ve only ridden it a few times since I brought it home earlier this year, and have yet to ride it “loaded up.” I am finding it to be a nice solid comfy ride, and the rear axle is pulled forward with the alternator plates, so that makes it a shorter wheelbase for more responsive handling. The tires that come on it are a robust 700x42mm, I find them nice and comfy! I had a Surly Long Haul Trucker that I never liked riding unloaded, so far this rides more to my liking. I think moving the rear axle back for loaded touring will give a more stable ride, but for unloaded, having it forward makes it feel like a regular road bike , handling wise. I’ll find out how it does loaded next month, looking forward to that!

#biketravelweekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
26768704417_7565cbbd72_z.jpg (90.9 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by dannwilliams; 04-22-18 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-22-18, 09:49 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
My Surly Disc Trucker has the smoothest unloaded ride of any steel touring bike I've tried. I guess Truckers have stiff tubing but the longer wheelbase & relaxed angles more than make up for that, plus they allow wider tires than 520 & similar bikes.
Old 04-22-18, 11:01 PM
Blaise88

Bikes: All City Mr Pink & Surly Krampus

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
My Surly Disc Trucker has the smoothest unloaded ride of any steel touring bike I've tried. I guess Truckers have stiff tubing but the longer wheelbase & relaxed angles more than make up for that, plus they allow wider tires than 520 & similar bikes.
A rim-brake 26” trucker in my size just popped up on my local Craigslist. I am seriously considering putting in an offer.
Old 04-23-18, 05:07 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by rpg5
New to touring and looking for feedback on a steel bike that is comfortable for unloaded rides. I hear that some bikes are a bit rough while riding unloaded. The 2 bikes I am looking at are the Marrakesh and Trek 520. Thanks!
How rough the ride is has more to do with tire selection and pressure than anything else. So there is no need for a touring bike to be harsh when unloaded. So if you like the geometry okay the ride should be fine.

The geometry will be a good bit different than a race bike, but that is something that at least some folks like whether loaded or not. That is a different thing than whether the ride is harsh. If anything I think it is easier to get a soft ride on a touring bike because it probably has fatter tires that when run at lower pressure provide a cushy ride.

Given your concern, I'd avoid tires with super stiff sidewalls (like the Marathon Plus or similar). Something with nice flexible sidewalls contributes nicely to a better ride.

I tend to like a sportier feeling ride so I am more inclined to go with more sporty geometry. Again this is a different issue than whether the ride is harsh. I don't like the stable truck like feel of touring bikes so I have been touring on a road bike in recent years. Since I have been packing lighter and lighter until I am now in the ultralight category, that works for me.
Old 04-23-18, 07:26 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I know a guy who commutes quite a distance on his 520 multiple times a week, unloaded, as well as using it as his primary touring bike. He's got nothing but great things to say about it.

It is one I halfway keep an eye out for on my local CL.
Old 04-23-18, 08:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
My LHT is locked up outside my office building right now. At least I hope it still is.
Old 04-23-18, 09:30 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Blaise88
A rim-brake 26” trucker in my size just popped up on my local Craigslist. I am seriously considering putting in an offer.
Good luck...heh, maybe you could put some Schwalbe Big Apple tires on it!
Old 04-23-18, 10:08 PM
DropBarFan

Folks who are looking for extra ride comfort can equip touring bikes with a suspension seat post and/or suspension stem. I bought a Trucker in the larger of the 2 sizes that would fit; wish I had bought the smaller since a Thudbuster seat post would fit. However current 520 has a sloping top tube so I think a susp post would fit with no problem. I'm using a Redshift ShockStop susp stem that helps smooth out front bumps.
Old 04-28-18, 06:04 PM
Blaise88

Bikes: All City Mr Pink & Surly Krampus

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Good luck...heh, maybe you could put some Schwalbe Big Apple tires on it!
Haha, the bike is built with Big Apples!