Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike to Learn Mechanical Skills

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-30-18, 08:23 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I have two bikes, a 10 year old road bike that is in mint condition and has a new drivetrain and a new gravel / bikepacking bike.

I'm thinking of buying a used bike that I can further learn mechanic skills. Something that needs work, but I don’t want to spend lots of money replacing parts. I know there are always deals out there on parts...but I’m not going to replace for the sake of it. Obviously the drivetrain is an area to improve my skills (chain replacement and bottom brackets are things I’ve never tinkered with).

I was thinking of getting a commuter/touring bike (I don’t commute for work, but could for errands) and using it with fenders on wet days, or with winter tires in the winter. That way I could ride it when I’m not riding the other bikes. Frame size that fits and tire clearance are the only must haves. Spec can be low end.

Any ideas other than Kijiji, Pinkbike (etc) for buying such a bike?
Old 09-30-18, 08:45 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
If you can you should volunteer at a bike co op or a non profit like the Bike Exchange. There you will see every kind and quality of bike. Our warehouse often has high end 10 -20 year old bikes waiting for someone to take home for a "homework project", which means you have to bring it back after you finish playing with it. Personally, I like playing with old "10 speeds" as the parts are mostly interchangeable with the exception of the French bikes, and English 3 speeds. not only will you get to educate yourself for free using someone else's materials but the result will be supporting a good cause.
Old 09-30-18, 08:48 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
There are a few Apps for local sellers near you that are becoming more popular all the time and here's a link to some of them. https://wellkeptwallet.com/best-apps-to-sell-local/ I know 3 people who regularly use "OfferUp" and are very happy with it. Seems to always have some cheap bikes available where I live. I can't vouch for any of the other Apps listed but easy enough to research them for yourself.
Old 09-30-18, 10:12 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Learn it when you have to do the task really. It is not that difficult. Working on old bikes not really a great thing in that they sometimes uses different tools and specs. One thing you could try is to buy a new cheap wheel and simply rebuild it by loosening all the spokes and tensioning again. When you need to replace a chain get the chain tool and new chain read up and got at it not rocket science but makes sense to me.
Old 09-30-18, 10:15 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Stay away from the lowest tier bikes. You'll find them frustrating, especially if you are inexperienced.
Look for a frame decal that says CR-MO (chrome moly steel) and "butted". Double butted is a bit lighter than single butted. "Hi Ten" steel is just the cheapest grade and relatively heavy.
Old 09-30-18, 10:46 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Any 10-speed from the 1960's or 1970's for under $100 would be perfect for learning how to overhaul and tune a bicycle. Try to find one that has all of the original parts and restore them. Don't fall into the "upgrade" trap. Re-use the cables, inner tubes, cable housing, etc. Spend your money on tools that will allow you to work on your keeper.
Old 09-30-18, 11:25 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I have two bikes, a 10 year old road bike that is in mint condition and has a new drivetrain and a new gravel / bikepacking bike.

I'm thinking of buying a used bike that I can further learn mechanic skills. Something that needs work, but I don’t want to spend lots of money replacing parts. I know there are always deals out there on parts...but I’m not going to replace for the sake of it. Obviously the drivetrain is an area to improve my skills (chain replacement and bottom brackets are things I’ve never tinkered with).
If you own a 10 year old road bike that has been well maintained, How did you manage that? Maintaining your own bike yourself is the best way to learn how. Your 10 year old bike has a new drivetrain. Did you do the upgrade yourself? Even a new drivetrain will require regular care, replacing wear items like chains, cables, brake pads, tires, along with servicing bearings in hubs, bottom brackets, headsets and pedals. A gravel/bikepacking bike is going to need service even more often than a road bike. Learn how to maintain the bikes you already own, you don't need another one
Old 09-30-18, 12:22 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by branko_76
Any 10-speed from the 1960's or 1970's for under $100 would be perfect for learning how to overhaul and tune a bicycle. Try to find one that has all of the original parts and restore them. Don't fall into the "upgrade" trap. Re-use the cables, inner tubes, cable housing, etc. Spend your money on tools that will allow you to work on your keeper.
i like that idea. Even if it’s a bike from the 90’s I think I could pull it apart, clean and lube as needed and put it back together (then ride it). I would definitely use it around town and on foil weather days, so it should be ready for those conditions.
Old 09-30-18, 12:23 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by alcjphil
If you own a 10 year old road bike that has been well maintained, How did you manage that? Maintaining your own bike yourself is the best way to learn how. Your 10 year old bike has a new drivetrain. Did you do the upgrade yourself? Even a new drivetrain will require regular care, replacing wear items like chains, cables, brake pads, tires, along with servicing bearings in hubs, bottom brackets, headsets and pedals. A gravel/bikepacking bike is going to need service even more often than a road bike. Learn how to maintain the bikes you already own, you don't need another one
I had a shop do the drivetrain; I didn’t have the confidence to do it myself. And I kept it in great shape with basic maintenance only (cables, chain and cassette).
Old 09-30-18, 12:43 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Learn it when you have to do the task really. It is not that difficult. Working on old bikes not really a great thing in that they sometimes uses different tools and specs. One thing you could try is to buy a new cheap wheel and simply rebuild it by loosening all the spokes and tensioning again. When you need to replace a chain get the chain tool and new chain read up and got at it not rocket science but makes sense to me.
That way you learn one piece after another and what is applicable to your bike. Obviously if your goal is N+1, you can follow the plan to buy one.
i wouldn't buy a cheap wheel to dis-assemble. Build a new one with good material when you need one. A cheap wheel is not great and the outcome can be questionable. and what do you do with a cheap wheel that may be worse than the ones your bikes already have? throw away?

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Stay away from the lowest tier bikes. You'll find them frustrating, especially if you are inexperienced.
Look for a frame decal that says CR-MO (chrome moly steel) and "butted". Double butted is a bit lighter than single butted. "Hi Ten" steel is just the cheapest grade and relatively heavy.
I once had the idea to restore bikes for fun (not much money in flipping, not if you want to get the bike to be actually good). but after doing a project bike at a coop, and restoring 2 Walmart bikes, I never really want to revive old bikes that should go into recycling. Newer and higher tier equipment is so much easier to work on and the outcome can be a really good bike. Now I really only want to work on my bikes and install good stuff. I rather ride more than to work on bikes. already spend way too much time wrenching (and researching upgrades) on my 2 bikes as it is.

Your bikes are in good condition, so start with just normal maintenance (hub bearings etc.) and go from there in case you want to upgrade or something brakes. You'll buy the necessary tools over time as needed. As you work on the bike you will know better what to buy.
Don't be afraid to take the bikes in the rain, they are bikes and not made of paper.

Obviously go N+1 if you want to.
Old 09-30-18, 07:19 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Ditto volunteering at a co-op or non-profit.
Old 09-30-18, 11:50 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts

I was thinking of getting a commuter/touring bike (I don’t commute for work, but could for errands) and using it with fenders on wet days, or with winter tires in the winter. That way I could ride it when I’m not riding the other bikes. Frame size that fits and tire clearance are the only must haves. Spec can be low end.
You've got the right idea. The best to learn bike repair and maintenance is not only to do the work, but also to ride the bike for an extended period to find out where you need to improve your skills. Repairing bikes for others as a volunteer will not give you the first-hand feedback that a bike you've ridden hundreds of miles will.

There are hundreds of thousands of bikes from the bike boom era that are still in peoples basements and garages waiting for someone like you to bring one of them back to life.

Don't be afraid of plain gauge, low carbon steel frames. They may be a pound or two heavier but most were built to last. My main commuter is a 1977 Raleigh Grand Prix that I bought from a thrift store for $25.00. It was in sad shape but that made it all the more challenging. I save my 1980's Holdsworth and 1970's Falcon for fair weather rides.

Here's the finished product

Old 10-01-18, 01:03 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
People throw away good old bikes. I've picked a bunch from the local dump metal pile. Most of them went to a local charity, Bikes not Bombs, but I've kept some that fit me. These bikes are perfect to practice on. Even if a bike is damaged you can learn how to remove and repair various components .
Old 10-01-18, 02:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
+1 start with what you have....

Old 10-02-18, 09:20 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
What city and state do you live in?
Old 10-03-18, 03:04 AM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by AtNjineer
What city and state do you live in?
An hour outside Toronto, Ontario (Canada).
Old 10-03-18, 04:32 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
People throw away good old bikes. I've picked a bunch from the local dump metal pile. Most of them went to a local charity, Bikes not Bombs, but I've kept some that fit me. These bikes are perfect to practice on. Even if a bike is damaged you can learn how to remove and repair various components .

Old 10-03-18, 07:18 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
+1 start with what you have....
I second that. Why not take the bikes you have, take them all apart, then but them back together. Except for paint and decals, that will give you all the mechanical skills.
Tim
Old 10-03-18, 08:34 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
That's my plan @tkamd73. I have a second bike that is in good condition but likely needs some new cables, new lube of the hubs, etc. I plan on going through Zinn's book over the winter and overhauling my bike. If I get really stuck I can head in to the LBS and hopefully get some hints/tips on what I'm doing wrong.
Old 10-03-18, 12:39 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

An hour outside Toronto, Ontario (Canada).
what city
Old 10-03-18, 12:42 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
That's my plan @tkamd73. I have a second bike that is in good condition but likely needs some new cables, new lube of the hubs, etc. I plan on going through Zinn's book over the winter and overhauling my bike. If I get really stuck I can head in to the LBS and hopefully get some hints/tips on what I'm doing wrong.
what’s zinns book
Old 10-08-18, 06:30 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by AtNjineer

what city
Georgetown
Old 10-09-18, 06:03 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

So you want to do it yourself and learn. I looked up George Town on google maps and you don’t have any bicycle shops from what I saw. Only a dealer and maybe they have a service shop. Far from the mom and pop shop that would be more willing to help you understand the workings of your bike. Even if they didn’t sell it to you. In the next cities over Brampton and Milton even on the outskirts of Mississauga nearest you. There are bicycle shops. If I were you. I would buy the cheapest beach cruiser you can find with a coaster brake. If it has flat tires. That’s good you should learn how to patch an inner tube and or replace one. offer up or letgo apps will help you find some close to you. Make sure the wheels are straight at least. Take it home and take a part the rear hub. Clean and grease it again. Put it back together and ride it. That would to me a big accomplishment. Good luck
Old 10-09-18, 07:24 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
An alternative might be to buy an olf Raleigh 3-speed. They can be had for a song, and when you finish your restoration, you have a pretty cool old bike for doing some alternative-style rides. Granted, you won’t get the experience of working with derailleurs, but you will get to do the bearings (including the oedals), cleaninf (which is almost an art itself), and working on internal hubs. There are lots of videos for proceeding with any bike, but I’d start with an inexpensive one and donate it when finished. Whatever you choose, you’ll learn a lot and have a lot of fun. And a tip: keep a bottle of Dawn dish detergent and a 3M scrubbing pad next to your work sink - you’ll get dirty.
Old 10-09-18, 10:19 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

I’ve built more than pictured below

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.