Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Peculiar things seen along the road

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Peculiar things seen along the road

Old 10-12-18, 09:27 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Some more things I have seen during my bike travels.

Poor bear!
Old 10-12-18, 09:30 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
How about side of the trail?

Someone put up an artificial X-mas tree next to the trail at one of our local parks. Festive!
Old 10-12-18, 09:33 AM
revivalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I was coming down an overpass and thought there was a log in the road but it turned out to be a massive iguana. Swerved around at the last minute.
Old 10-12-18, 09:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
Poor bear!
Yeah. This was at a seemingly closed roadside attraction just east of the ID-MT border near Clark Fork, ID. It was somewhat disturbing. The if you look closely, the dog's back is wet with saliva from the bear grabbing it with its mouth. The place also had a cougar in a cage. Poor thing was pacing back and forth. Rode the same route the following year and the animals were gone.
Old 10-12-18, 11:00 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A goat on the dash and a dog in the passenger seat of a pickup at the gas station.

Old 10-12-18, 12:43 PM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Many years ago I was out for a ride. I was coming down a slight hill and saw something in the middle of the road. It seemed to be moving a bit. As I got closer I thought to myself "Please don't be what I think it is." As I passed, I looked down and saw that it was what I feared. A dead momma possum. The movement was her babies, which had emerged from the pouch and were crawling all over her. The appeared to be still sightless. Fortunately, there was a nature center not far away that had on staff an animal rescue expert who, I learned later, specialized in possums. About a half mile later I spoke to a woman who had just come out of her house to walk her dog. I told her about the situation and asked for directions to the nature center. (This was before everyone had cell phones.) She offered to call the place for me. On the ride back I took the same road. The dead mother and the babies were gone. I should have called the center to see if they had, in fact, rescued the babies.
Are you sure it was dead? There's a reason it's called "playing possum." My inlaws' golden retriever was carrying a possum around their front yard for a while one afternoon. He finally dropped it and my father-in-law asked me if I could go dispose of it. I grabbed a glove and a garbage bag and went to get it. It had been lying in the grass immobile for a good 5-10 minutes looking extremely dead. I reached down to grab it and the em effer rolled over, hissed at me and trundled off into the woods. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 10-12-18, 12:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
Are you sure it was dead?
The blood around its head was a dead giveaway. (Pun intended.)
Old 10-12-18, 01:14 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This guy just stayed on the white line.
Old 10-12-18, 01:25 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
I called this one "hit and run."

Old 10-12-18, 03:28 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
A few days ago I was approaching a stoplight, (it was red), and a rabbit crossed the street, using the crosswalk!
I had no idea rabbits understood traffic laws.
I once saw a cat do that. Walked up to the corner, sat down on the sidewalk and waited for the light to change, then crossed.
Old 10-12-18, 04:23 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Nothing as odd as some posted here, but a week or so ago, at a little rural intersection I often pass through, there was a small dead possum, and a foot away from it, was a big copperhead snake, also dead. No telling what,if anything happened between them, but it was kinda weird (and of course, i imagined a heated fight to the death, that killed the both simultaneously !! )
Old 10-12-18, 04:41 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
sex in a bush
Old 10-12-18, 08:48 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Today, on 66 heading west into Lyons CO, I saw two police cars that had pulled a car over, female in the diver seat. Just as I passed, one of the cops jerked open the passenger side door, and the male passenger was shouting "Can you tell me why I'm being arrested?" while they were reaching in to grab him.
Old 10-12-18, 10:12 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Going over the Malahat on Vancouver Island I saw several eagles circling ahead. There in the shoulder was something flopping around. As I approached I realized it was an adult Bald Eagle that had been injured. Someone else also stopped and called a local rescue society. It was very large but I could walk right up to it on the affected side because it was blind in one eye.

In the pic you can also see its top beak is broken off and hanging by some skin. The white stuff is exposed skull bone and there were maggots on the head but the bird was still walking around in circles. I figure it got hit by a car or something and survived but could not fly and was slowly dying of hunger and the other birds were waiting for a meal.
Sad.. but interesting to get that close to one.

Old 10-13-18, 12:50 AM
backonblack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revivalist
I was coming down an overpass and thought there was a log in the road but it turned out to be a massive iguana. Swerved around at the last minute.
I seen lots of those on different hike and bike treks in Singapore, a few monkies, wild roosters, On a uninhabited island bike trek I just missed a wild bore piglet zooming down a gravel hill. The occasional snake, I hoped to see a cobra but there really rare. There used to be wild native tigers at a time. I'll hit that one again it was great fun.

Over here in the city mostly just Toronto night life,

The xmas tree was a nice touch lol.
Old 10-13-18, 11:09 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I thought about taking a pic, but didn't as I was riding with someone, and we got behind due to a flat...but anyway:
On Wednesday we were on a group ride - Pennsylvania back roads - nice rural route. Along one of these back roads there was a treeline - the trees were about 100 yards away, parallel to the road. Perched in the trees were various buzzards, and they had their wings spread out. It almost looked like they were hanging on a clothes line or something.
I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Less odd, but along the same route we passed a patio where there were 3 cats in a straight line, each about 5 ft from the next: The first was black, the second gray, the 3rd was white. I like cats, and I thought the color arrangement was funny. ymmv
Old 10-14-18, 12:02 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Nothing as odd as some posted here, but a week or so ago, at a little rural intersection I often pass through, there was a small dead possum, and a foot away from it, was a big copperhead snake, also dead. No telling what,if anything happened between them, but it was kinda weird (and of course, i imagined a heated fight to the death, that killed the both simultaneously !! )
lol
Old 10-14-18, 02:28 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was once riding in a very rural part of NY, I looked behind me at one point checking for traffic only to witness a large, long tailed brown creature spanning from the center line past the outer white line making it's way across the road probably fifty yards behind me; must've been at least seven feet from head to toe! I slammed my brakes and couldn't decide if I wanted to turn around and look for it.. I did, but it was gone. It was walking low to the pavement, I thought it might've been a cougar or mountain lion but after further research I'm more inclined to believe it was a fisher; I didn't even know this species of animal existed until I saw it..
Old 10-14-18, 06:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
One time out in the country, I observed a guy in full camo, with his rifle, in the weeds at the side of the road. This was a paved county road with painted lines and shoulders and all that - not some super rural backwoods town road. Though gunshots aren't uncommon out in the country, they're usually quite a distance from the road!

On the theme of dead animals, I once came across what appeared to be the bones of an entire raccoon family - adults and babies of various sizes - mostly pressed into the pavement. There were eagles nearby (the likely culprit).

Originally Posted by TimothyH
A goat on the dash and a dog in the passenger seat of a pickup at the gas station.
Looks about right. Reminds me of the shenanigans that go on at my friend's goat farm.
Old 10-14-18, 07:38 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recently saw a large wild boar waddle into a corn field.
Old 10-15-18, 10:39 AM
backonblack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

got in the middle of it 5 minutes later, it looked like the rise of an Apocalypse
Old 10-20-18, 11:41 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
The Gnome Hill of the NCR trail in Maryland

It's just sitting there on the side of the trail in the middle of nowhere. The first time you see it you're like "What....did I make a wrong turn at Middle Earth?"

I used to live near the NCR rail trail (really miss the area), and the gnomes always put a smile on my face--thx for posting!!
Old 10-20-18, 07:14 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by pressed001
I called this one "hit and run."

There was a patch of polyester fill along the shoulder, & I told my grandkids that it was stuffed animal roadkill.
Old 10-21-18, 06:26 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Does this count? Once saw a PAIR of shoes on the side of a road--thought they were only lost one at a time!