Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I really want a gripshift

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 05:59 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts

can y’all help me please. I have an Alfine8 inter hub and I don’t want to use the Alfine8 shifter. I would much rather use a grip shifter. Can I please have some recommendations on some shifters I should look into or stay away from. Thanks
Old 11-06-18, 09:02 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
SRAM is pretty much it for a decent grip shift.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/grip-shift
Old 11-07-18, 03:44 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

They give four options. I’m ok with spending the money but which will work. The cheapest of the four options is $122 it’s an 11 speed shifter. Will that work with my Alfine8 rear hub?
Old 11-07-18, 10:17 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Nexus grip shifters are supposed to work. I’d be more inclined to try one of them than an SRAM unit.
Old 11-07-18, 10:17 AM
prj71

Nope. not if you have the 8 speed.
Old 11-07-18, 10:57 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Just want to mention that I thought I wanted a grip shift because they looked cool when I was a kid, but when I was shopping and realized it was hard to find a decent one I realized all the drawbacks - have to release your grip on the handlebar a lot more to shift vs click shifters, grip shifter either intrudes into grip area or requires moving your hand over ever time you want to shift (usually they cut part of the grip to add the grip shifter), get a grip on the shifter is also a bit of an issue. Just wanted to mention...after a week of having a grip shift you might find you don't like using it.
Old 11-07-18, 11:24 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Well I want the gripshift. So my handle bars won’t look so cluttered. So is it true none of the SRAM units will work? Should I just suck it up and use the Alfine rapid shifter? I would hate to have shifters on both sides just saying. There’s already a twist throttle assembly set to be in my right hand.
Old 11-07-18, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have A Rohloff , Their standard shifter uses 2 cables and is a grip shifter..
And a Sram i 9, it came with a 1 cable Grip shifter.. [Discontinued]

Here are a few 1 cable grip shifters, (a spring pulls back)

And a selection of shifters for IGH

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-07-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 01:01 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
- have to release your grip on the handlebar a lot more to shift vs click shifters, grip shifter either intrudes into grip area or requires moving your hand over ever time you want to shift (usually they cut part of the grip to add the grip shifter), get a grip on the shifter is also a bit of an issue.
Fake News.

I had one on my last bike and had none of these issues. It worked beautifully and I kind of miss it.
Old 11-07-18, 01:04 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by AtNjineer
So is it true none of the SRAM units will work?

Not if they don't offer an 8 speed version. Looks like the Shimano Nexus has you covered though. I was not aware of that one until this thread.
Old 11-07-18, 01:54 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Fake News. I had one on my last bike and had none of these issues. It worked beautifully and I kind of miss it.
I test rode a bike that had one and saw all these drawbacks and that's what changed my mind.

It's a forum where people express different opinions/experiences, you're welcome to have a totally different take, but I'm not just theorizing I didn't realize how annoying a grip shift can be until I tried one.
Old 11-07-18, 05:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Just want to mention that I thought I wanted a grip shift because they looked cool when I was a kid, but when I was shopping and realized it was hard to find a decent one I realized all the drawbacks - have to release your grip on the handlebar a lot more to shift vs click shifters, grip shifter either intrudes into grip area or requires moving your hand over ever time you want to shift (usually they cut part of the grip to add the grip shifter), get a grip on the shifter is also a bit of an issue. Just wanted to mention...after a week of having a grip shift you might find you don't like using it.
I’ve been using triggers (both SRAM and Shimano) and some really old Sram Gripshifters for many years. I am happy with either but slightly prefer Gripshift.

I find the issues you bring up to be non issues. I don’t think the loosening of my grip on gripshifters is any more of an issue than taking my thumb off the bar with triggers. As far as moving my hand to shift, my hand is always just up against the twister, so the movement needed to work the twister part is pretty subtle. I find the standard gripshift width grips to be a perfect size to work with the gripshifters.

Old 11-08-18, 01:51 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

I’m in a bit of a bind. I don’t want to elaborate too much. Some nit pickers might go off on the minor violation going on here. Anyway I need the shifter wether it be trigger or grip shift to be in my left hand. I might have to use a 8 speed gripshift in reverse operation lol. I’ll call Shimano tomorrow. I don’t see any 8 speed left handed shifters on their site.