Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Ugh! Wheels again!

Old 04-03-19, 04:31 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ugh! Wheels again!

Is there a consensus on mfgr. brand wheelsets? Masi, Felt, Trek, all have their wheels on their 105 level gravel grinders.

I’m a Clyde and I’d rather not have to upgrade wheelsets in the first year. Salsa puts wtb wheels on and they seem sturdy. I could buy a lower priced bike and use the wtb’s in my garage. But I like having a spare in case something goes pear shaped on a ride.

Hammer me
Thank you
Old 04-03-19, 05:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Is the issue younare concerned with breaking spokes, wheels out of true, literally tacoing wheels, or what?
Old 04-03-19, 06:23 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Not sure what you're asking. I haven't had a problem with my stock Checkpoint SL5 wheel set. Can't see a need to upgrade at this point.
Old 04-03-19, 06:26 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Just upgraded to a set of Alex Rims XD-Lite's, 36h/32h with velocity hubs for $550 australian. Feel like a nice light strong wheelset.
Old 04-03-19, 06:53 PM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Breaking spokes! The stockers on my Giramondo broke, so I upgraded that wheelset. Had the same issue on my old trek dual sport so I upgraded the rear on that one. Warrantee is usually direct replacement so not really a solution.
Old 04-03-19, 07:13 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Well, there is one key question. How much of a Clyde are you. If you are 210 vs 270 is not the same answer. There are few wheelsets truly rated fro heavy Clydes and in that case you will want to build something with a Velocity Dyad or Chukkar rim (36h) with maybe a White Industries hub...
Old 04-03-19, 09:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
Breaking spokes! The stockers on my Giramondo broke, so I upgraded that wheelset. Had the same issue on my old trek dual sport so I upgraded the rear on that one. Warrantee is usually direct replacement so not really a solution.
try taking the wheelset, whatever wheelset that is on whatever bike you buy, to a wheelbuilder for proper tensioning. I dont mean a random shop where they will get the wheels to spin true, but an actual knowledgable wheelbuilder that will have them spin true while also properly tensioned.

how many spokes are on the wheelsets for each bike? All things equal, more spokes = less issues for us that are heavier than a tumbleweed.

very few stock bikes come with butted spokes, but butted spokes are both lighter and less prone to fatigue due to being inherently more flexible. Just a general comment there, in case you end up buying a wheelset.

assuming you are 250ish, a 32 or 36 spoke real wheel that is midzdepth(26-29mm) with 3x lacing and butted spokes that is handbuilt and properly tensioned should last for years.
This assumes you ride light and use your arms and legs as suspension instead of being static and slamming over RR tracks, potholes, bridge seams, etc.
Old 04-04-19, 05:36 AM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yep. 250 ish. And I know better than to go less than 32. But having my lbs, who does wheel building look at retensioning the wheels may be a good start.

When ive been off the bike a while I tend to ride heavier. After a few months, much springier.
Old 04-04-19, 05:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
try taking the wheelset, whatever wheelset that is on whatever bike you buy, to a wheelbuilder for proper tensioning. I dont mean a random shop where they will get the wheels to spin true, but an actual knowledgable wheelbuilder that will have them spin true while also properly tensioned.
This is a great suggestion. In the meantime, start saving up for a custom wheelset. A good wheelbuilder will listen to your needs and the problems you have had with previous wheelsets, and will be able to build a set that will be reliable for you. And they needn't be any more expensive than the wheels ridden by lighter riders.

Seriously, the only trouble-free wheels I have owned have been those that were custom-built.
Old 04-04-19, 03:41 PM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This is a great suggestion. In the meantime, start saving up for a custom wheelset. A good wheelbuilder will listen to your needs and the problems you have had with previous wheelsets, and will be able to build a set that will be reliable for you. And they needn't be any more expensive than the wheels ridden by lighter riders.

Seriously, the only trouble-free wheels I have owned have been those that were custom-built.
So far, I concur. I Replaced my ‘mondo with a set of machine built magic/ sapim/ Deore eyeletted hoops. Great bang for the buck if a bit heavy. OTOH, my i9/ sapim/ hed belgium handbuilts are exquisite on my vaya. Sooooo fast.
Old 04-04-19, 03:41 PM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
God I hate spell check
Old 04-05-19, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
Is there a consensus on mfgr. brand wheelsets? Masi, Felt, Trek, all have their wheels on their 105 level gravel grinders.

I’m a Clyde and Salsa puts wtb wheels on and they seem sturdy. I could buy a lower priced bike and use the wtb’s in my garage. But I like having a spare in case something goes pear shaped on a ride.

Hammer me
Thank you
The out of the box wheels that the factory buys and builds not satisfactory but
"you'd rather not have to upgrade wheelsets in the first year."

see how those work and if you don't like them get a heavier duty wheel built next year..

Salsa is a QBP Brand, and QBP also builds wheels in Minnesota,
Complete bikes are imported with wheels built in their supplier facility ..

Perhaps your Bike Shop can offer a trade up wheel deal, at point of sale,
supply a special wheelset ,
and buy the stock wheels ,new, at a price they'd pay ordering them ..
trade up won't be free but you can save you a bit of money..

Bike shops are a Service Business..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-05-19 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 03:05 PM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Using the wtb’s I already have. I pulled the tire off one so I could compare to the brev m units. The brevs are double wall, exterior is high arch, interior is low arch lip to lip. The wtbs’s are more angular. Flat area at nipples, then angles down to sides, then flat to lip exterior. Interior wall is two flats then a shallow arch in the middle. They look stronger to me.

Spring bike sale netted me a -17 giramondo 27.5 for 750.00. Hard to pass up as I already like the drivetrain. Plus, it has wtb flared drops already on it. I figure a pair of 700x 43 panaracer gravel king tubeless, a pair of spyre c with discs, and I’m ready to get dirty for 1200 all in. Plus I have a pair of plus wheels just because.