Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

e-bike with 20” Tires

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

e-bike with 20” Tires

Old 08-02-19, 10:05 PM
lz54321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
e-bike with 20” Tires

I test drove a few bikes today at a local bike store and I felt most comfortable on a bike with 20” tires. It was a Biria Folding Fat bike. I didn’t like the 4.5” fat tires but the guy in the bike shop said I could swap them out for 2.5” tires. The only other issue for me is that it’s not a low step which is a must for me since I have low back problems.
Can anyone recommend a low step 20” e-bike. I’ve been searching and I can only find bikes that can only be purchased online. I really wanted to test drive before buying. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-02-19, 10:53 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Watch out if you put smaller (narrower) tires on the "fat" bike. Ground clearance may be compromised considerably. Look at the Scoozy veego on Amazon (not to buy) to see how a low step-over can be designed. You'll just need to locate local dealer(s) with similar models, travel or buy online.
Old 08-03-19, 09:31 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's relatively easy to put a kit on a 20" bike. Maybe find one you like and do that. I use a Dahon Mu Uno with a motor and it's light and I love it. Bike Friday has 20" e-bike options. check with Bfold. Also, being in NY, you could go test ride the 1Motor on the inventor's Brompton (that's a 16") to see if you like the system and then it super easy to put on any bike (and take off to ride without). You can read my review of it here in this forum. I can give you their contact info if you want to test ride it. You can install it on any model 20" bike you want, the Dahons are good choices for a moderate priced bike.
Old 08-03-19, 10:24 AM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by 2old
Watch out if you put smaller (narrower) tires on the "fat" bike. Ground clearance may be compromised considerably. Look at the Scoozy veego on Amazon (not to buy) to see how a low step-over can be designed. You'll just need to locate local dealer(s) with similar models, travel or buy online.
Thanks for the info. I looked at the Scoozy Veego. That's what I am looking for. Another reason I want a 20" tire is so that I can load it into my SUV. I've found similar models (Civi Runabout, RAD Mini Step-thru, Evelo Galaxy (24"), Blix Vika+) but none are available at a local dealer. Most are only available online. I'm not looking for a cheap bike. My budget is around $3K.
Old 08-03-19, 10:34 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I don’t know a lot about e-bikes but a thought I always have is when I see people looking at bikes whose name I don’t recognize is. Who is going to service these in a few years. Many of the start up e-bike stores won’t last beyond the initial time it takes the market to saturate. I would be looking at names like Trek, Specialized, Giant. These will be around after the market cools and most likely can provide service. Just a thought and maybe I’m wrong.
Old 08-03-19, 10:35 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts

Blix Vika+ Electric Folding

Old 08-03-19, 10:56 AM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
It's relatively easy to put a kit on a 20" bike. Maybe find one you like and do that. I use a Dahon Mu Uno with a motor and it's light and I love it. Bike Friday has 20" e-bike options. check with Bfold. Also, being in NY, you could go test ride the 1Motor on the inventor's Brompton (that's a 16") to see if you like the system and then it super easy to put on any bike (and take off to ride without). You can read my review of it here in this forum. I can give you their contact info if you want to test ride it. You can install it on any model 20" bike you want, the Dahons are good choices for a moderate priced bike.
Thanks for the info. I'm not ready to go the "build your own bike" route just yet. If I get to that point I'll get back to you.
Old 08-03-19, 11:04 AM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Thank you. The Blix Vika+ is on my list, but I think it's only available online. I'd prefer to test drive first. Do you own one?
Old 08-03-19, 11:05 AM
linberl

With your 3k budget, you should consider Bike Friday. They will custom build to fit you perfectly. If you contact them, they can put you in touch with a local owner for a test ride (if there is no dealer near you). Their ebikes work great and you can fly with them as the batteries meet TSA/FAA requirements. As 20" bikes go, nothing rides better than a Bike Friday.
Old 08-03-19, 12:04 PM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

With your 3k budget, you should consider Bike Friday. They will custom build to fit you perfectly. If you contact them, they can put you in touch with a local owner for a test ride (if there is no dealer near you). Their ebikes work great and you can fly with them as the batteries meet TSA/FAA requirements. As 20" bikes go, nothing rides better than a Bike Friday.
Thank you. I just looked at the Bike Friday website. It looks pretty cool. I'm going to try to build something. Would you mind if I sent you the link of my build to review? I looked at the list of dealers and they are pretty far from me. Can I order the kit and bring it my local bike shop to assemble?
Old 08-03-19, 12:44 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by lz54321
Thank you. I just looked at the Bike Friday website. It looks pretty cool. I'm going to try to build something. Would you mind if I sent you the link of my build to review? I looked at the list of dealers and they are pretty far from me. Can I order the kit and bring it my local bike shop to assemble?
You can have them build a full bike up, and they ship so all you have to do is add the front wheel (included) and put on the seat post and pump the tires. Or, you can buy a frame and build up locally. Their sales guy (Steve) is fantastic - he can take your needs and wants and make a bike out of them. I ordered one through him and his patience and thoughtful questions were really helpful. But I'd be happy to look at your build (like window shopping, lol). If you have questions, there is a very active BF community on FB and it's ok to join if you're just considering one (https://www.facebook.com/groups/bike...d=177147215204) and you can ask about other folks' builds.
Old 08-03-19, 04:46 PM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

You can have them build a full bike up, and they ship so all you have to do is add the front wheel (included) and put on the seat post and pump the tires. Or, you can buy a frame and build up locally. Their sales guy (Steve) is fantastic - he can take your needs and wants and make a bike out of them. I ordered one through him and his patience and thoughtful questions were really helpful. But I'd be happy to look at your build (like window shopping, lol). If you have questions, there is a very active BF community on FB and it's ok to join if you're just considering one (https://www.facebook.com/groups/bike...d=177147215204) and you can ask about other folks' builds.
Thank you sooo much. That sounds great. Which base model do you have? I'm not sure what to select for gear shifter and brake type. I guess that's I good question for Steve. Thanks for recommending the FB community. I just put in a request to join. I really appreciate all of your suggestions. This is my 1st e-bike.
Old 08-03-19, 06:15 PM
linberl

Thank you sooo much. That sounds great. Which base model do you have? I'm not sure what to select for gear shifter and brake type. I guess that's I good question for Steve. Thanks for recommending the FB community. I just put in a request to join. I really appreciate all of your suggestions. This is my 1st e-bike.
So there are 3 models, basically, with 20" wheels. The New World Tourist (a great touring and around town bike). The Pocket Llama (off road capability). And the Pocket Rocket/Super Pro model (roadie bike not meant for ebiking). Depends on how you intend to use the bike. I previously had an NWT but sold it and got the smaller 16" pakiT as that fits my life a bit better now, using it for multi-modal transport in lieu of a car. My NWT was a terrific bike and with slightly wider tires (big apples) it was just a beast. Yet still very light weight and easy to quick fold into a car trunk or whatever if needed, or break down to fly in the BF suitcase. Yes, Steve can help you configure the bike the best way. It basically comes down to (1) where you will ride and (2) how much $ you want to spend. More $$ means lighter better components. BF will acquire ANY drivetrain/brakes you want if you have a preference, it is a fully customizable bike with standard bike parts (so you can choose rim brakes or discs, etc.). Of course, that can also seem somewhat overwhelming so that's where Steve is super helpful. And you don't have to worry about fit, either; just send them the measurements they request and you will be fine. And once you figure out which of the three main models that is best for you, they will hook you up with someone local to test ride their bike if you ask. Before I ordered my pakiT, they arranged for me to ride one belonging to a customer about 14 miles away (not too many around at that time as it was a new model). What I love about BF aside from being US made is that everything is a standardized bike part, very little proprietary, so over the years you can upgrade and keep up with bike tech improvements. If you decide at some point to order one, let me know and I can get you some free goodies! Also, they hinted at some new model with electric assist that is only 24 pounds, so you should definitely ask about it =).

Last edited by linberl; 08-03-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 07:48 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Thank you. The Blix Vika+ is on my list, but I think it's only available online. I'd prefer to test drive first. Do you own one?
No
Old 08-04-19, 11:34 AM
Katysax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Ride Scoozy Veego Semi-Fat with 3” instead of 4” wheels. It is low step. I have over 400 miles on it and find it very comfortable and fun to ride.
Old 08-05-19, 06:39 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
20” chubby tired ebike

We have 2 “Magnum Premium 48” ebikes. One is low-step. Foldable. Powerful. 20” x 2” rubber. Bought from an LBS after test ride. EBR had a very favorable review on these as well. Worth considering.

Last edited by FolderBeholder; 08-05-19 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-05-19, 11:04 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Check out the Tern Vektron. They make a few different models at different prices, and they sell via brick and mortar stores.
Old 08-05-19, 03:42 PM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Katysax
I have the Ride Scoozy Veego Semi-Fat with 3” instead of 4” wheels. It is low step. I have over 400 miles on it and find it very comfortable and fun to ride.
Thanks for the recommendation. I like the style of the Scoozy Veego. Did you buy it online?
Old 08-05-19, 08:37 PM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
We have 2 “Magnum Premium 48” ebikes. One is low-step. Foldable. Powerful. 20” x 2” rubber. Bought from an LBS after test ride. EBR had a very favorable review on these as well. Worth considering.
Thank you.
Old 08-05-19, 09:05 PM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Nightdiver
Check out the Tern Vektron. They make a few different models at different prices, and they sell via brick and mortar stores.
Thank you. I will take a look.
Old 08-05-19, 09:49 PM
2old

When I looked at the Scoozy, it was just as an example, but it's rated highly by Amazon verified buyers.
Old 08-06-19, 12:09 PM
Katysax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I like the style of the Scoozy Veego. Did you buy it online?
Yes I did. Came mostly fully assembled. Had to tweak it a little to keep the derailleur from rubbing. Had a problem with the charger and they sent me a new one ASAP. It’s been great. Very comfortable to ride. Easy to transport. I get about 40 miles on an battery but I always pedal.
Old 08-07-19, 11:48 AM
lz54321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Katysax
Yes I did. Came mostly fully assembled. Had to tweak it a little to keep the derailleur from rubbing. Had a problem with the charger and they sent me a new one ASAP. It’s been great. Very comfortable to ride. Easy to transport. I get about 40 miles on an battery but I always pedal.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-08-19, 12:08 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Bfold stocks and sells the Tern Vektron.
You can also order any Bike Friday from them.
I recently picked up a Tern Vektron from them;
very happy commuting with it.
https://bfold.com/

Tern Vektron Q9 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 08-09-19, 11:42 AM
2old

Take a look at the Blix Vika+ (review on electricbikereport; note, the "reviewer" charges for the evaluation reducing it to an infomercial IMO, but some useful information). Appears to be a direct-to-consumer company.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.