Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 08-29-19, 06:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
That may be a closed internal degloving similar to a morel-lavallee lesion. If so it will take a long time to disappear.
https://radiopaedia.org/articles/mor...allee-lesion-1
That sounds exactly like what my surgeon described, that I tore the skin away from the tissue below. I'm going to ask about it when I go back next week.

NOTE: DO NOT GOOGLE THIS AND LOOK AT IMAGES! Unless you like seeing lots of flayed body parts. What a mistake on my part.

Last edited by topflightpro; 08-29-19 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 08:04 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Just from the description I knew that was a term I was just better off not knowing about.

Anything that's "like a degloving" is not something I care to see.

For me, training is just kind of riding my bike so far. Trying to build the volume and intensity slowly and just keep growing the CTL with the minimal 6 hours or so I have, and taking a rest week every 4 or so, or whenever life gets in the way.

Seem to be getting slightly stronger, which is good. But mainly I'm getting much lighter. I've lost about 20 pounds in the last 2.5 months or so I've been riding. Intermittent fasting (16/8) has been working really, really well for me and I've been enjoying it. On days I ride I'll usually not do the fast after the ride, I'll just eat normal, but on days I don't ride it helps a lot to just wait until 2 or 2:30 in the afternoon to have a small lunch, I can eat kind of normal at dinner and still have some dessert or a snack later.

I'm still 6 feet, 196 lbs right now, so I have another 20 to go to be in what I'm gonna consider my goal weight, but if it keeps going like this I should be there by spring next year, which would be cool. I haven't been this light in probably over 10 years.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 08-29-19, 06:00 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
That sounds exactly like what my surgeon described, that I tore the skin away from the tissue below. I'm going to ask about it when I go back next week.

NOTE: DO NOT GOOGLE THIS AND LOOK AT IMAGES! Unless you like seeing lots of flayed body parts. What a mistake on my part.
I tried to give you a tasteful link...

It happened to me (on my butt) and it was a sorta funny doctor hand-off ordeal....

-Went to my regular clinic; Dr (1) saw it and said they don't drain that... but come back tomorrow.
-Next day went back and saw Dr (2) who said go to the hospital, it needs drainage.
-Same day at hospital Dr's (3 and student 4) look at and say no drainage. But go for ultrasound next day...
-Next day radiologist Dr (5), and new ER Dr (6). Dr (6) reviews ultrasound results and refers to orthopedic surgeon Dr (7).
-Dr (7) needle drains, says come back a week later.
-Dr(7) drains a 2nd time...

Thankfully in Canada this cost me nothing out of pocket.
Old 08-29-19, 06:22 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Recovery week but I feel fine; ever since I started prioritizing my diet and sleep (going to bed at 9 instead of 10:30) I've rolled into recovery weeks feeling fresh. Used to be they were a necessity every 3 weeks (sometimes 2) but no matter the volume or intensity I really haven't been getting fatigued. So this will probably just be 3 days, maybe 4 and I should be able to smash again.
Old 08-30-19, 06:33 AM
topflightpro

I tried to give you a tasteful link...

It happened to me (on my butt) and it was a sorta funny doctor hand-off ordeal....

-Went to my regular clinic; Dr (1) saw it and said they don't drain that... but come back tomorrow.
-Next day went back and saw Dr (2) who said go to the hospital, it needs drainage.
-Same day at hospital Dr's (3 and student 4) look at and say no drainage. But go for ultrasound next day...
-Next day radiologist Dr (5), and new ER Dr (6). Dr (6) reviews ultrasound results and refers to orthopedic surgeon Dr (7).
-Dr (7) needle drains, says come back a week later.
-Dr(7) drains a 2nd time...

Thankfully in Canada this cost me nothing out of pocket.
Yeah, I think it needs to be drained. I read a few of the medical articles on it - they are a bit terrifying - but at least one of the authors is at my hospital.

How many times did they have to drain yours? One article mentioned an open drain for 10 months.
Old 08-30-19, 10:58 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Well, I'm gonna be out of commission for another couple weeks at least.

Back went again this morning, just sitting in a chair trying to work. Sat back to stretch and it all went bad.

Can't walk, even with help, can't sit, can't stand. Even laying down is very painful. Some muscle relaxers being ordered soon hopefully, because I can't relax enough to stop the pain.

Edit: and some sort of steroid for inflammation. Good thing I'm not competing nor will be for a long time.

Last edited by Flatballer; 08-30-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 11:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
yikes FB, get well soon. It's been a few years since my back problems have flared up (knock on wood)
Old 08-30-19, 11:38 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Personal best 20 min. power on Wednesday. This was after hardly any training with power for the previous month, mostly because I don't have power on my race wheels and was too lazy to swap out for my training power tap wheel. I also wasn't particularly well rested - I had a really hard ride Sunday, then weights Monday. Woohoo!
Old 08-30-19, 12:35 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yeah, I think it needs to be drained. I read a few of the medical articles on it - they are a bit terrifying - but at least one of the authors is at my hospital.

How many times did they have to drain yours? One article mentioned an open drain for 10 months.
Twice, just with a needle, took maybe 5 min. I wore a mild compression triathlon short I had in between treatments. It refilled a bit after the 2nd but all that resolved - Dr refused to do any more drains.

The would vac is if it gets infected, which is why so many doctors resist draining them as sticking a needle in greatly increases the chance of infection. The guy who did the drain said it was unlikely but if infection happened I would be admitted for one month. 10 months yikes!

Years later I can't tell anything happened except I have a small patch of numb skin about the size of a quarter.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 08-30-19 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 01:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My CTL has dropped to 49, as low as it's been in a year. Work has been bonkers, and I haven't even been able to bike commute. I'm hoping to get back a little this fall. Planning to do the full CX season and then I'll probably spend most of January and February on Zwift.
Old 08-31-19, 06:07 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Trying to ride the endurance wave, went out and cobbled together 96 miles out of various loops I usually ride on. It’s likely the last big weekend ride I’ll be able to do as I hope to be racing CX just about every weekend until Dec
Old 08-31-19, 07:22 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TMonk
yikes FB, get well soon. It's been a few years since my back problems have flared up (knock on wood)
Well, it got worse yesterday. Late in the day I still couldn't stand or walk or anything. Had concerns this wasn't a normal bad back episode. Ended up with an ambulance to the ER, xray and some exam, everything okay, just muscle and ligament. Stronger muscle stuff (Valium) plus actual steroids. By 4 am I could walk, so I came back home instead of getting admitted.

Not sure how long this is going to take. Feel like **** with my wife having to do everything, no nice labor day weekend. Spent who knows how much on the stupid ambulance and ER. Just so stupid.
Old 09-01-19, 01:40 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Well, it got worse yesterday. Late in the day I still couldn't stand or walk or anything. Had concerns this wasn't a normal bad back episode. Ended up with an ambulance to the ER, xray and some exam, everything okay, just muscle and ligament. Stronger muscle stuff (Valium) plus actual steroids. By 4 am I could walk, so I came back home instead of getting admitted.

Not sure how long this is going to take. Feel like **** with my wife having to do everything, no nice labor day weekend. Spent who knows how much on the stupid ambulance and ER. Just so stupid.
Wow! That's crazy

Plain x ray wont show much - need MRI for soft tissues.

Cyclobenziprine (flexeril) too I imagine.

Send me extra benzos (valium).

If you a get headache go back to hospital.
Old 09-01-19, 08:42 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Picked up a small stomach bug on Thursday night, so have been fighting that. 6 days until the last race of the season. Feeling fit, and the team is in good shape. Tapering sucks, but we're getting there!
Old 09-01-19, 09:48 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Wow! That's crazy

Plain x ray wont show much - need MRI for soft tissues.

Cyclobenziprine (flexeril) too I imagine.

Send me extra benzos (valium).

If you a get headache go back to hospital.
Yeah, they thought based on the xray and the manual exam that the mri was unnecessary. Which is fine because I'm already concerned about the ridiculous amount of money I already probably spent.

Flexeril was what my original doctor gave me, but it didn't seem to help. I'm on just the Valium now (plus steroids, ibuprofen and Tylenol), which is helping some, but still a ton of pain, just not impossible to walk. Able to sleep though at least.

Even with the Valium and everything else, I think this is the worst my back has ever felt.
Old 09-01-19, 02:08 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Cross is here. I chose the Sunday race as I can’t do the whole series and kids have soccer during my Cat on Saturday.

Did an hour of practice to learn the course today. Put in a supposedly good lap. But don’t trust Strava. Said a few laps of 16mph and one almost 17.

Felt good, I was rolling well under the limit. 30mi overall as warmup amd cooldown from the house.

I did eat **** once. I have new cables on it and the rear brake let me down before a hard left. I went bike deep into the bushes/briars. Just a few briar knicks on my hand. Lucky.

Nice folks. Showed me the route. Was following Gabe when I ate it.

Like the course, but folks are gonna eat it on that slow off camber deal. Guy fell right in front of me on it today.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-02-19, 09:43 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Raced cross on Saturday and took my best cross placing of 6th in the 50+. Went out today for a hard 2 hr MTB ride in the Hood River area and had a blast. However, now my elbow hurts like I have tennis elbow or something. A bit of ibuprofen and ice tonight and hopefully it will feel fine to race CX tomorrow.
Likes For cmh:
Old 09-03-19, 06:31 AM
topflightpro

I rode the trainer three times this weekend. All easy spins sitting up since I'm still in a sling. Also, no jersey and only one bib strap up. My right hip was noticeably sore after, but it's nice to start moving again.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-03-19, 10:44 AM
furiousferret

Most of this year my FTP has been 'funny math'. I rarely test, Sunday rides we don't hit the climbs til 100+ TSS in, and TNW's are only 12/8/8 minute climbs. Since I was fresh I decided to do a 20 minute test, just a warmup and go. I wanted to hit 300 for 'reasons' and going after that, it being 90 degrees, and dropping my water bottle 5 minutes in may have cost me a few watts.

2015: 282: watts 4.09 w/kg
2018: 282: watts 4.27 w/kg
2019: 288: watts 4.81 w/kg

2016-17 I was either injured or coming off injury so not even worth posting.

It hit right on my FTP estimate, and I was 12 watts short of 5 w/kg. Getting this past 5 will be a good motivator to train through the winter, and hopefully hit mid January in form instead of being in form in July.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 09-03-19, 02:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Life has gotten in the way of fitness. We were away on vacation for 2 weeks, then 6 weeks of really inconsistent riding. The big project was finished on Friday, so I am hoping to get some consistency going this fall. Restarting that this morning: 2x20' at 92-ish pct of FTP. Yay.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-04-19, 06:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
That sounds more like ouch! 92% is pretty much all out hour power from a 20min test for most people.

I did some cross-ish intervals at lunch. 30/30 and some 60/60. I can't do anything too short on the trainer at work, it doesn't respond super fast. On the 30/30's did 500w on and either 150 or 120w off. On the 60/60's did 400w on and just 120w off. It was pretty eye watering.

Not sure I understand this at all. Tuesday night is the group ride. I had planned to ditch tonight and just go reclaim a local KOM I know I can bag and cruise easy. I showed up. Should have been depleted from lunch workout. I didn't eat a ton for lunch either. Salad, some yogurt. A "long duration energy" snack before the ride. Crushed it. Almost 270w NP for the 70min ride.

I've had that before. A really hiit workout at lunch but somehow kill the evening ride. Just seems odd to me. Proves I still don't understand a good amount of how this stuff works I guess.

I don't track my best 30sec power like the other durations. Last night had to be a new 30sec best though. Right at 700w. Also Trainingpeaks says my peak reading sprinting for a speed limit blinky sign was 1230w. That was late in the ride too.

Rest day today, or a gentle spin on the trainer at home on Zwift. On the dumb trainer.

I've gotta sort out a smartie for winter. Fall I'll do my SS and tempo gravel rides. But winter I need something.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-04-19, 01:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
So wifey says, “let’s race the Fiesta Island time trial on the tandem October 12th”. Geesh. So much for the off season respite.

Got a late start but headed off to Fiesta this AM with the TT bike for low cadence intervals. I am still sick. My chest is better but still some coughing and not a lot of aerobic power.
Old 09-04-19, 01:14 PM
caloso

Yes, in retrospect I should have been aiming for 88-90%.
Old 09-05-19, 10:30 PM
furiousferret

Failed my workout tonight; I knew when it had intervals adding up to 30 minutes over FTP it was going to be hard. I just can't do efforts like that; can stay at FTP all day but once over that number I just seem to get cooked much faster than others.

Sore legs from gardening may have contributed some but fresh I don't think I'd pull it off.
Old 09-06-19, 06:16 AM
topflightpro

Twice, just with a needle, took maybe 5 min. I wore a mild compression triathlon short I had in between treatments. It refilled a bit after the 2nd but all that resolved - Dr refused to do any more drains.

The would vac is if it gets infected, which is why so many doctors resist draining them as sticking a needle in greatly increases the chance of infection. The guy who did the drain said it was unlikely but if infection happened I would be admitted for one month. 10 months yikes!

Years later I can't tell anything happened except I have a small patch of numb skin about the size of a quarter.
Had my hip drained yesterday. They pulled out about 90ml of fluid, and now I'm wearing a pile of gauze under compression shorts and have an ace bandage wrapped around my waist to try to keep pressure on it to prevent it form re-filling. It feels weird.

Also had my suture ends removed and was cleared to go without the sling - though I still need to wear it in public places to prevent any injury should someone bump into me.
Likes For topflightpro:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.