Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 09-25-19, 10:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I suspect Acetaminophen is less disruptive to inflammatory pathways, that’s why I suggested it. No evidence. But I think I am right.
Old 09-25-19, 11:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I suspect Acetaminophen is less disruptive to inflammatory pathways, that’s why I suggested it. No evidence. But I think I am right.
I have the same hunch. Can't find any data on muscle repair.
Old 09-25-19, 11:18 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
I was told to leave the ibuprofen alone and stick with Tylenol when I had bones to heal.
Old 09-25-19, 11:22 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
FIFY.

The test mix of pink and white came out looking too much like bubble gum so I went with the green. I needed something to go with the red hubs of the wheels I was moving over from the IF.

The issue with Cerakote colors is that they have a matte finish. You need to mix them with white to produce a pearl finish. The builder has a really nice pearl blue finish on his road bike.

Hot.
Old 09-25-19, 11:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

We had a fantastic midweek ride today. It was close to perfect. The weather and course were both good, and the gang mostly stayed together.
Old 09-25-19, 11:48 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Today on Droppers Of Our Lives(tm)...

I think the cheapest way forward is to buy an OEM style dropper on jenson, and just chuck the one I have. It's $150 more than I'm currently in for, but it means I've only thrown away $50 more than I've needed to. Ouch.

The alternative is $110 for the rebuild somewhere, or $60+100(tools) doing it myself... and then having no warranty.
Old 09-25-19, 12:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
We had a fantastic midweek ride today. It was close to perfect. The weather and course were both good, and the gang mostly stayed together.
My cat has been digging the cool nights/mornings. He likes to sit in the windows, so this morning was purrrrfect for him.
Old 09-25-19, 12:21 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8811 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,716 Posts
After last night's flurry of quality content, things are back to normal.

Update:

My bibs, Jersey and non-monk coffee arrived yesterday. It was a day late but such is life. Perhaps if it was a dollar short I would have a grievance. Some people always are offended and have a grievance. I try to let things go but am not always successful.
Hey, I am human. :shrug:

#NotPlayingTheBlameGameToday
Old 09-25-19, 01:24 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Old 09-25-19, 01:56 PM
MoAlpha
• —

1. Still feeling fluey from Shingrix,

2. but just got an email that the huge scientific society which owns the journal is going to do a press release on a recently accepted paper paper of ours and wants to interview the postdoc who led the project. So great for him and his visibility! Surprisingly, the work is just a strong reproduction of someone else's results, but they're very exciting results and it's in a controversial field with quite a few squirrely findings.

Might have a very small whiskey on the strength of these two things.
Old 09-25-19, 02:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
1. Still feeling fluey from Shingrix,

2. but just got an email that the huge scientific society which owns the journal is going to do a press release on a recently accepted paper paper of ours and wants to interview the postdoc who led the project. So great for him and his visibility! Surprisingly, the work is just a strong reproduction of someone else's results, but they're very exciting results and it's in a controversial field with quite a few squirrely findings.

Might have a very small whiskey on the strength of these two things.
Kudos. Are you going to cross-post on the “What are you drinking?” thread?
Old 09-25-19, 02:50 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Kudos. Are you going to cross-post on the “What are you drinking?” thread?
Thanks. I really should. Spade & Bushel cask strength from Belleek in Co. Mayo, in case anyone’s interested.
Old 09-25-19, 02:52 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

The cat really likes to go outside. Is a cat harness and leash worthy of trying??
Old 09-25-19, 03:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
The cat really likes to go outside. Is a cat harness and leash worthy of trying??
I’ve seen it done, but my gut reaction is that most cats will not tolerate it. My goes on the deck. He’s too fat to think about trying to scale the walls. He watches the birds and squirrels.
Old 09-25-19, 03:23 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve seen it done, but my gut reaction is that most cats will not tolerate it. My goes on the deck. He’s too fat to think about trying to scale the walls. He watches the birds and squirrels.
Ours really likes to go outside. She does not go far but it’s a PITA when she goes under the deck and we have to coax her out. The leash is attractive in that it eliminates the coaxing issue. Last week she snuck out and mrs datlas wasted an hour trying to get her back inside.
Old 09-25-19, 03:31 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts
Will do, doc. I already took a little ibuprofen, but I hate doing that after workouts, lest it interfere with the inflammatory response to muscle microtearing. Yes, I am crazy.
Just curious, but what’s the positive side of the inflammatory response to muscle microtearing?
Old 09-25-19, 03:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by BillyD
Just curious, but what’s the positive side of the inflammatory response to muscle microtearing?
It what ultimately results in muscle hypertrophy and delicious post-workout naps.
Old 09-25-19, 05:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
Ours really likes to go outside. She does not go far but it’s a PITA when she goes under the deck and we have to coax her out. The leash is attractive in that it eliminates the coaxing issue. Last week she snuck out and mrs datlas wasted an hour trying to get her back inside.
I tried it with one cat and was semi-successful. At first he wasn't bad about the harness, but eventually he was only occasionally in the mood (maybe 10% of the time).

You could always turn the deck into a catio...

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 09-25-19, 05:16 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
It what ultimately results in muscle hypertrophy and delicious post-workout naps.
I'm all about naps, and hyper trophy too!

Old 09-25-19, 05:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Well the naps are definitely great, yes.
Old 09-25-19, 05:24 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I tried it with one cat and was semi-successful. At first he wasn't bad about the harness, but eventually he was only occasionally in the mood (maybe 10% of the time).

You could always turn the deck into a catio...

Awesome, they can get outside and the birds are safe.
Old 09-25-19, 08:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Ugh. Today was just not the day. First, just before the group ride, I discovered that I'd taken a pretty serious puncture on my 85-mile ride over the weekend and the it just wasn't sealing up. I didn't want to skip the ride, so I took out the Haanjo instead, 38mm tires, rack and all. It was not fun trying to hold on to the group, let alone take my pulls. But, whatever. Then, I had this creeping feeling that drivers were out to get us. That feeling died down, but as soon as it was forgotten, it was just a parade of ******bags.

There were at least four instances of *******ry, but the worst of them honked and cut in on my friend, driving him on to the shoulder. We caught him at a light, I took a pic of his plates and whatnot, but then the driver started in, telling us how WE had to share the road. That set me off and I was at his window yellin' on him. At one point, ****er thought he was going to get out on us, so when he opened his door, I slammed it on him and told him to sit the **** back down. He started yelling that I was assaulting him but the driver in the next lane totally had our backs - he looked at the ****** was said, "Really? Really." Anyway, yeah, I was heated. PRed the next hill.

Bad moon or whatever, it's one of those nights that I'm just glad to be home and off the streets. Ugh.
Old 09-25-19, 08:52 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ugh. Today was just not the day. First, just before the group ride, I discovered that I'd taken a pretty serious puncture on my 85-mile ride over the weekend and the it just wasn't sealing up. I didn't want to skip the ride, so I took out the Haanjo instead, 38mm tires, rack and all. It was not fun trying to hold on to the group, let alone take my pulls. But, whatever. Then, I had this creeping feeling that drivers were out to get us. That feeling died down, but as soon as it was forgotten, it was just a parade of ******bags.

There were at least four instances of *******ry, but the worst of them honked and cut in on my friend, driving him on to the shoulder. We caught him at a light, I took a pic of his plates and whatnot, but then the driver started in, telling us how WE had to share the road. That set me off and I was at his window yellin' on him. At one point, ****er thought he was going to get out on us, so when he opened his door, I slammed it on him and told him to sit the **** back down. He started yelling that I was assaulting him but the driver in the next lane totally had our backs - he looked at the ****** was said, "Really? Really." Anyway, yeah, I was heated. PRed the next hill.

Bad moon or whatever, it's one of those nights that I'm just glad to be home and off the streets. Ugh.
That sucks, and especially sucks that the ****** had no clue he was so terribly wrong. I will say, every so often it's OK to voice your opinion... It gives a break to the next 50 stains that mess with you.

Good you made it home.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 09-25-19, 08:54 PM
LAJ
So it is

I got busy at work, but was going to ask about ibuprofin prior to a hard bike workout. Bad? Tylenol? Nothing but beets?
Old 09-26-19, 04:42 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi

Sorry. We’ve all had those days. The weak-ass justifications for potentially deadly aggression are particularly infuriating. I get blind, berserk, incensed too, and have done some pretty undignified stuff. You, at least, might have the mass to back it up, maybe even the close combat skills. I have 65 raging kg of elderly professor.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.