Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello BF

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 02:59 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Hello BF

Hi, I'm Mike, and new to the forum.

Got my start back in the early 80's on a Marushi 25" road bike with 27" wheels and a Suntour VX groupset, I was hooked, remember having to have the Wolber 3/4" tires that would go flat if ridden within 10 feet of a non-perfect road. Worked in bike shops in MA my teenage years, then stopped riding when I got to college to play basketball. Tore my ACL on the court, and picked up a Centurion Ironman Master in 1989 to help with rehab, and got hooked again, did a bit of racing on that bike. Also had a Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail.

Moved to NC in 1991 for work, and within 8 months met my future bride. Sold the Centurion in 1993 to help pay for wedding expenses (one of my biggest regrets - the bike sale, not the wedding ). In 1999 I got the itch to get back on the road and picked up a used CAAD4 with 105 8-speed, which I promptly upgraded to 9-speed.

Lived in the UK in 2001, and my wife gave me the opportunity to get my dream bike. I had met Brent Steelman at Interbike in 1990, and despite the opportunity to pick up just about any European frame at a good price, I opted to have Brent build me his Stage Race frame. Built it up with Dura-Ace 9 speed, and still ride that bike to this day - it will be with me forever.

From '00 to '05 I averaged about 7K miles per year, and as I was traveling a lot for work picked up other bikes - a Centurion Ironman Master (lost to being hit by a car in '03), a sweet Gunnar Hot Dog (which I raced with), and built a fixed gear bike from an old Trek Reynolds 531 frame (did a few centuries on that). The Gunnar was sold when my traveling subsided, the Trek was parted out and the Stumpjumper was sold as well.

We moved in '05, and my riding dwindled down to virtually nothing by '11.

Recently got the Steelman back on the road, and having the time of my life. Doing short solo rides, which is a change from my past when I loved fast group rides. This keeps my family life in balance, which is very important as my wife became a bit irritated when I'd be off regularly on weekend rides of several hours in the past.

My bike is largely as it was when I built it in 2001 - DA 9 with Open Pro wheelset that I built myself (rebuilt in 2009 or so). Looks like new still and rides like a dream. Luckily a lot of my cycling clothes still fit - my investment to get back on the road was a set of 25mm tires and a new helmet.

In any case, happy to have found this forum as my former favorite (roadbikereview.com) appears to be a shell of what it once was. Hoping I can contribute here as I am a trained mechanic (although a lot has changed in the past 10 years).
Old 09-24-19, 03:49 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Mike,
What a great way to introduce yourself to the folks on the B.F., it sounds like you would have a lot of stories to share about your travels across the globe.
Glad to hear that you have started cycling again and welcome!
Best Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-24-19, 09:00 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Welcome from Kinston
Old 09-25-19, 08:14 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
I enjoyed your introduction and welcome from SoCal. Check out the mechanics forum.
Old 09-25-19, 09:35 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Welcome. I’ve always admired Steelman bikes. Once you get 10 posts, let us see a picture
Old 09-26-19, 03:50 PM
mprince

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Welcome. I’ve always admired Steelman bikes. Once you get 10 posts, let us see a picture
Working on it, it's a beautiful bike. Powder coated Mango (think school bus yellow) with orange decals. I wish Brent was still building, one of the nicest guys I've ever come across in the industry.
Old 10-02-19, 11:28 AM
mprince

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Here you go sir

https://www.bikeforums.net/21147274-post1183.html
Old 10-02-19, 01:59 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Nice. That really looks great!
Old 10-02-19, 03:47 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Glad to have you on board BikeForums. I often need help with mechanical issues that arise. I am definitely challenged in that area. I have learned a lot from the members here and trial and error, certainly the error part.
Old 10-02-19, 05:27 PM
Fixit
Searching for answers...

Bikes: 1985 Univega Competizione-Pro White; 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour - Black Sable; 1987 Bianchi Limited-Metallic Celeste; 1972 Nishiki Professional - Green; 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow! nice bike.... I sold my motorcycle in '88 to help pay for my wife's engagement ring....and she still wears it. Same boat on the riding frequency and a happy marriage,,,I'll take a sick day and ride before I make her mad. ha!