Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How Do People Buy Jamis Bikes?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-04-19, 04:30 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts

I'm thinking of doing a "N-2+1" over the winter, getting rid of my 23 year old Trek 520 and my 29 year old Schwinn hybrid beater bike, and buying a new bike for light touring and unpaved gravel-ish riding and riding with my wife. I've pretty much zeroed in on a Jamis Renegade with a 1X drive train.

The listed dealers in this area don't have many Jamis bikes in stock, not sure I'll be able to test ride and size one. The 99spokes site is pretty useful for comparing bike geometries, I think I'm pretty sure what size - but I've never bought a bike without riding it first. Friends have Jamis bikes I've looked at but all are different models/sizes.

Of course, there are lots of things I now buy without first touching (thanks, Amazon!) so maybe I should just join the 21st century?? This weekend will try to visit the LBS that are listed by Jamis see if there is some way they get bikes in to test ride without committing to buy - does that even happen?
Old 10-04-19, 07:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I would call the shops vs driving around to each of them to ask, but that's because I dont enjoy using time driving to multiple places if it isnt necessary.

The closest jamis retailer to me is 35mi away and has a limited stock because it's a relatively limited cycling market.
He orders only if the bike is paid for as he is otherwise stuck with the bike.

I would hope larger market shops would be willing to order without promise of purchase, especially if it's a more common frame size.

As for ordering sight unseen- I have never purchased a bike for myself from a shop. 1- i am 6'5 and it isnt common for what I want to be in stock. 2- i enjoy building up frames. 3- I find more value in what I pick vs what comes on stock builds in the same price range.

Buying frames without trying the bike is a very low risk if you know what is important to you.
For me, head tube angle, seat tube angle, fork offset, stack, reach, chainstay length, and bottom bracket drop are what I care most about. The HTA and fork offset make the trail, which i value knowing too.
Those numbers are readily available for any good bike model, and if they arent, then I'll ask. If that doesnt get the numbers, I move on because it's almost 2020 and there is no reason not to list the geometry details.

It isnt a big risk if you know what you want/need.
Old 10-05-19, 04:23 AM
jpescatore

The 99spokes site is very handy for comparing geometries of bikes and I can see the 54cm Jamis is a touch more stretched out than the 54 cm Domane I ride on the road, and the 51cm is about the same amount less reach than my Domane - I'd tend towards the 54cm Jamis. But the standover height is about an inch higher, the 51cm frame has closer stand over height to my road bike.

Started the call around process, one shop has a different version in a 54cm frame and said we will be ordering more so come in and you can see how it feels, and I'll size you and on the next order include whichever one you would buy. The other one pretty much said "Once your figure it out, call me back" but I stopped buying from that shop long ago...
Old 10-05-19, 06:26 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Contact perkiomenbicycles.com. Schwenksville, Pa which is 3 hours east northeast of you, about an hour NW of Philadelphia. They have and move a lot of Jamis bikes. Owner rides a 631 Renegade. Son rode a carbon Renegade but has moved on to Orbea, cuz he wanted FS 29r for night riding. They know a lot about the Renegades. BUT it's the end of the season so getting Renegades is much more difficult. Jamis is not making them any more for this year. Stock is low. Spring is better.

Yes, I'm affiliated - part time mech. I've built several of em and they are very well done machines. But I'm a C&V guy so I have no interest in a Renegade for myself.
Old 10-09-19, 04:14 AM
jpescatore

Prowler - you pretty much nailed the situation. Apparently, Jamis was giving dealers 20% off normal pricing to get rid of 2019 bikes so inventories were pretty low. A local shop was able to order one and passed on the 20% off to me (maybe Jamis was giving them more than 20%!) - a day later the bike was here.

Before ordering I tried out a different level 54cm Renegade they had in the shop and the standover height was a bit too high for me, so I went with a 51cm. Only had time for a short ride when I picked it up. Having nothing to shift with my left hand and only one shift lever (the Sram system) took a bit of getting used to! But, so far I like the 1x drivetrain - the gaps aren't all that wide and the shifting is very quick.

This weekend I'll put some 32mm Schwalbe road tires on (the 40MM Donnellys that come with it look great for actual gravel but are huuuge!) and do a 50 mile semi-loaded ride to my daughter's house to try it out.