Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What set you off and started you touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-19, 11:51 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Gave up driving at the end of April 2010. Don't have drivers license, or any state issued ID anymore. I live in NH and the rest of my family lives in OH...800 miles away. The fastest way to get there was by bike. I was riding the bike all the time...so why not. I had thru-hiked the AT in 1997 so I knew the bike would faster than walking. I still remember quite well the 'center point' of the first trip, back in 2012, was the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. I remember pulling up to it and then it finally hit me. I had just ridden my bike from NH to St. Louis, I gotta be off my rocker.

As a kid riding the bike all the time like kids do or even later on as an adult while riding I would never have even considered the crazy notion of riding the bike anywhere but around home. I would never go on a bike trip. LOL The joke was on me.
Likes For bikenh:
Old 10-14-19, 12:01 PM
Love2Ride
Love2Ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had done a few shorter tours, but always wanted to ride across Canada, so I finally did it as my millennium project in the summer of 2000. What an incredible experience!
Old 10-14-19, 09:50 PM
robadr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Touring magic

It's hard to know exactly. I always loved bikes as a kid, and then transitioned to 10 speeds in the 1970's, including a week riding in the UK. Then it fell off the radar until my 50's when I started cycle commuting, and immediately got excited about the idea of more overseas trips. I've ended up doing trips in Australia, New Zealand, BC, QC & the Maritimes in Canada, SE Asia, Cuba, and did the west coast from Vancouver to Mexico to celebrate my 65th birthday. I love the idea of travelling simply, quietly, cheaply, under my own power, and with everything I need on the back of the bike (I generally camp when I can).

It was quite a few years before I realized the similarity to the 'cowboy image' imprinted on my young mind by all those TV westerns in my childhood. I became the cowboy, with his bedroll tied on the back of his trusty horse, riding into some small town late in the day, chatting up the locals in the local saloon, and gone the next morning. :-)
Old 10-15-19, 12:30 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'd done some occasional weekend rides with a local bicycle club (3-5 days staying at hotels). For the Pacific Coast ride, coincidence of 4 things
Job in Portland ended, so unscheduled time
Sister temporarily in Los Angeles
Several people recommended the ride as amazing scenery and lots of easy campgrounds (all true)
Had found a good touring bike on CL a few months earlier
Lots to see and plenty of time - it was a good trip
Old 10-15-19, 12:40 PM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I got seriously interested in bike touring by reading some of the thousands of online journals on another site (crazyguyonabike). I am getting ready to retire in the next few months, and plan to set off on my first self-supported, long-distance bike tour. I will be riding the Camino de Santiago, a Christian pilgrimage across northern Spain to the shrine of Thomas the Greater, one of Jesus' apostles, which is located in the Cathedral in Santiago de Compestella, in Galacia, Spain.
Old 10-18-19, 09:12 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
In the 70's bike boom I got into racing bikes but books & magazine articles & BikeCentennial showed touring was feasible enough. Also my dad had done some bike-packing in his youth so I figured I'd try bike touring eventually. I did some car & plane/car touring which got to feel passive & boring. Took a long time but now the vacations are bike touring or ski trips.
Old 10-19-19, 03:25 PM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
What a great question!

One day in the summer of 1968, my father announced we were going to bicycle from our home on eastern Long Island (south of Stonybrook, New York) to Bar Harbor, Maine, about 450 miles. My little sister had just turned 8 and I was about to turn 11.

We hadn’t biked at all as a family. I rode to school and back, about 4 blocks each way. My dad had a green Schwinn Varsity left over from when he lost his license for drunk driving, but I had never seen him ride it. I had a Raleigh 3-speed I’d gotten for my 10th birthday, and my sister got a new Raleigh 3-speed for the trip.

We did a couple of very short practice rides, and set off. We had heavy car-camping sleeping bags strapped to our racks, and my dad carried a tent. My dad led the way on his green Schwinn Varsity, my sister was in the middle, and I took up the rear.

We were quite the sensation. This was 1968. No one we encountered had ever seen bicycle tourists, let alone a father with two little girls. We stayed in motels more often than campsites (My sister and I just didn’t have the endurance for “only 10 more miles” to the next camp site) and mostly people went way out of their way to be nice to us.

We didn’t quite make it to Bar Harbor. We only had two weeks, and I got a really bad cold, and we ran out of time. I think we stopped about 2 days shy of Bar Harbor.

In my memory, it was sunny every day, we ate lobster every evening and milkshakes every afternoon, and US 1 was a million lanes wide going in and out of Boston. The rollers along the Maine coast featured in my nightmares for decades. It was the best two weeks of my life until I met my life-long love.

And that’s how I got started bike touring.
Old 10-19-19, 08:15 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
^^^ teacherlady, if this were a competition, you'd win. 👍 Cool story, thanks for posting. 😎
Old 10-19-19, 10:32 PM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you, stardognine.
Old 10-21-19, 04:40 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
There was this really cute girl at work who showed an interest in bike touring. I immediately bought a rack and panniers and told her I was planning a 5 day trip. She said yes and off we went. 30 yrs later, I remember more the forested roads and incredible views than the girl, but she was fun.
Old 10-21-19, 07:02 PM
BikeWonder

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
There was this really cute girl at work who showed an interest in bike touring. I immediately bought a rack and panniers and told her I was planning a 5 day trip. She said yes and off we went. 30 yrs later, I remember more the forested roads and incredible views than the girl, but she was fun.
So..... what happened with her!?
Old 10-23-19, 10:26 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
So..... what happened with her!?
Shortly after that trip, she got engaged and went on to have a nice family. I instead quit that job and moved to an area where I could enjoy more outdoor activities.
Old 10-23-19, 11:53 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Forty years ago, I worked with a guy who would tell me stories about bike touring down the Oregon and California coasts to San Francisco. At the time I was carrying a full load of engineering classes during the day and working full time on swing shift; the idea of having unstructured time to pedal and sight-see sounded really appealing. Eventually I graduated and my wife and I bought Nishiki touring bikes. We did a couple of four day leisurely tours along the Avenue of the Giants in California. But with kids to raise, we only did those two tours. Fast forward 30 years to 2012, I was riding with a friend and we were both lamenting stuff that we'd wanted to do but probably wouldn't ever achieve. For me, one of my big regrets was never riding from C2C across the US. As we started riding again, I realized I could break the trip into sections and doing it over three years. After the first segment from San Diego to El Paso, I was hooked on bike touring. I'm retired now and spent the summer riding across France with my wife and then came home and rode the coast from my home in Santa Rosa to the Mexican border. I'm off to Australia for the winter (their summer) and hope to do some touring there.

Last edited by schoolboy2; 10-23-19 at 11:55 PM. Reason: geographical error
Old 10-24-19, 12:51 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
^^ Avenue of the Giants is a great place to ride, as is most of Northern California. 👍 Those trees will keep you pretty dry, even in a good rain. 😎 I remember going through Crescent City, right near the Oregon state line, and having that strong wind lift me and my bike off the ground, for a second or two!!! 😳
Also, I had a sea lion sneak up on me, while I was reading & snacking. He or she just wanted a snack too. 😁
Old 10-27-19, 03:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I got into touring by riding my bicycle to events outside of Toronto Canada where I lived at the time. A lot of times I thought I'd like to spend a day or two exploring the region around the event. Camping was a lot less expensive then that motels or hotels. Then I worked in Northern Ontario Canada where I discovered the plethora of logging/mining roads many of them hardly used anymore. That's where I fell in love with MTB touring. Later I modified my MTB to drop bar for more hand positions and better position on longer rides. Now people use trekking bikes or gravel bikes for a lot of that kind of riding. It's amazing what you can discover on back roads rides whether country roads or old logging/mining roads.

Here's an old image I took of a 3" x 5" photo of a Bianchi MTB I had before converting it to a drop bar. Note the long wheelbase and the exra water bottle cage and bottle BEHIND the seat tube. This is in Northern Ontario Canada at what used to be a sawmill. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1922.

I should go through my old negatives and see if I can find the one for this image and get a better print made. I know the entire wheels are on the negative.

Cheers
Old 10-27-19, 04:07 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I also read "Journey Across a Continent" by David Gidmark.

It was about a cross Canada bicycle trip in t he mi-1970s and David did it on a cheap bike and with inexpensive gear. It was a real eye opener onto what could be done on a limited budget but with will power. After reading that book I though about other older tours that people did on bicycles that were not nearly as good as bicycles in t he early 1980s. I thought that if they could do it then I could do it now. Thus I embarked on many wonderful two-weeks long bicycling tours.

Cheers
Old 10-27-19, 08:53 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Hmm

Inspirational reading these stories. I would like to just take some time off work and do some small touring fir beginning. I guess I have to sell off a rental property that is my responsibility to maintain
... always an excuse with me?? 🙄
Maybe will try a couple day one and see how goes. I eventually do want to sell any extended touring could be cut short by a call from a tenant saying they need maintenance...
Old 10-28-19, 05:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I was in a local bookshop on a rainy day in '74 and found this... I'd been planning a trip to Europe and after reading this at one sitting decided to do it by bike.
Originally Posted by acantor
Bicycle touring was not on my radar when, while hitchhiking near Big Sur (California) around 1978, I met a British Columbian couple at a campground. They were bicycle touring south along the coast of California. I was intrigued.

Six months later, in 1979, while visiting San Diego, a friend took off on a transcontinental bicycle tour. Three months later, we rendezvoused in Toronto, and I was impressed he had made it all that way. I wanted to do the same. So I bought my first touring bike, a Motobenane.
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I was in to camping and outdoor stuff, came from a bicycling family, and was enamored with the notion of bikecentennial in 1976.
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I'm a multi-day tourer, not a long distance, multi-week tourer, but what got me started:

I grew up in Long Island NY (Freeport), where we all rode our bikes for everything: delivering newspapers, getting to junior high school and to high school until you could drive.

One day when we were in 9th grade (13 or 14 years old) one of my friends had come back from a family vacation at Montauk at the eastern end of Long Island and he said "My dad said we drove 100 miles - we should bike that."

So, we did - by strapping sleeping bags to our bikes and heading off on Sunrise Highway aiming east - not a water bottle or map to be found on our 5 speed Schwinn and 3 speed Raleigh bikes.
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
During the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973, I vowed never to sit in line in an automobile at a gas station. So I parked my old Dodge pickup and started cycling everywhere, including weekend vacations to neighboring Midwest towns, visiting friends in college, etc.

In 1975, I took off on a 1000-mile trip around Lake Michigan from my home in Chicago. That's what hooked me on longer self-supported trips and confirmed the lifestyle for me.

I couldn't figure out why I seemed to be the only one doing that. Fun, cheap, healthy...why was this a secret? Then in 1976 I heard about the BikeCentennial and learned others were doing it. A few years later I met the cycling woman I'm still married to and still cycling with.
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
In the 70's bike boom I got into racing bikes but books & magazine articles & BikeCentennial showed touring was feasible enough.
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
1971 it was. Bought a Sierra Brown Schwinn Varsity with my paper route money. Cost exactly 104 dollars with the tax. The freedom I felt on that bike hooked me into it and 4 years later I bought a Schwinn Super Sport for exactly 148.40.

Toured all over the Midwest and down to the Gulf Coast on it.
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
University isn't easy. It affects my sleep a lot. What would bring me peace is imagining myself on an adventure and being self reliant.

I would close my eyes and imagine myself biking on a road for many many kilometers looking at mountains amd beautiful scenary. Eventually I thought, "why don't I just do it? "

And so, in July of 2019, I planned a tour from Calgary to Vancouver and had the best time of my life so far

A dream came true.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I however, followed the touring path in the 1970's. I recall that the AYH put out a book listing various rides around the country, including cross country, and I spent many hours imagining those rides (and did a cross country tour in 1977).
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
A thought or two, based on personal experience....

Also, what's the hurry? One of the joys of touring is the singleness of purpose and absence of demands. All you have to do is get there: you don't have to get there fast or get their first - and if you are touring with camping gear, odds are you can be incredibly flexible about what "getting there" means on any given day.

Embrace that. Don't let your tour become an exercise in trading one rat-race for another.
It was interesting to read of these overtures to cycle touring, especially from my contemporaries in the 1970’s.
My cycling lifestyle followed a similar path early on. I learned to ride at about age 6 in the middle 50’s…

In grade school a good friend and I did a lot of riding in the neighborhood, and enjoyed just meandering to find our way back. I posted my cycling biography as an Introduction to Bike Forums starting from that point:
…Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture.

In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife.
… So while this [time now] is my pinnacle of bike ownership, I started out in 1972 as a poor college student on a $90 Schwinn five-speed Suburban with wire baskets that on my very first weekend tour imbued me with a love of cycling that has been my lifestyle since….
We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula.

The Mercier wore out and now I ride a Bridgestone RB-1 purchased in about 1991. After the birth of our son in 1988, I have pretty much been a year–round commuter only…
˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-28-19 at 07:06 AM. Reason: added quotes about Schwinn Suburban
Old 10-28-19, 07:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
˄˄˄˄

Speaking about Bikecentennial,
I was prompted to read this post by the title because I have heard a lot about Bikecentennial, including as a contemporary touring cyclist in 1976.

In 1977 my wife and I did a cross country tour from Los Angeles to Washington DC. In Garden City, KS we were approached in the city park by guy in his 20's who had ridden BC the previous year, and GC was his home. He showed us the sights and his family put us up for the night in an apartment above their jewelry store. Such is the fellowship of the Cross-Country Ride.

From the best I can tell, it looks like our routes crossed around Larned, KS. BTW, Bikecentennial has a Wikipedia entry.
Old 11-02-19, 01:53 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I went on my first tour in Jan 2004, at the age of 31. Leading up to it, I was several months out of a messy marriage split, 15kg over weight, and had never been fit in my life. I started cycling around my small town every night, about 12km in total, out of boredom and a feeling of self-disgust. I found a late 80's road bike second hand for $90 with those sewn up tires, a campag groupset and some cool mavic hubs, and started some slightly longer rides out into the country side. I then did a 3 day try-out ride of about 250km. On the last day my knees were absolutely shot from using too high a gearing. A passing roadie advised me to use lower gearing with higher cadence, advice I never forgot. I bought a new bike for the trip, a fairly heavy 3x8 'hybrid' or whatever they called them back then.
The trip itself was over 20 days, 2200km, from Taranaki to Cape Reinga and back, in NZ. I've never done a trip longer than 4 weeks, as they need to fit around holidays, but that may change in future.
Cycling has been a life changer for me, in terms of physical and mental health.
Old 11-03-19, 07:37 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
A Series of Fortunate Events.

196? my older brother packed his Schwinn Continental and with 4 friends left Schenectady, NY and rode to Provincetown, MA on the tip of Cape Cod. Stayed at Youth Hostels along the way. I monitored his progress with fascination but did not do a similar trip.

College, kids, houses, careers, etc and no cycling. At one point I took my Schwinn Varsity up to the transfer station. Tired of looking at it. Too old for drop bars.

Then 2003 or so, my college son scammed a raffle on campus and won a Huffy mtn bike. Ignored it for a couple of years and gave it to me. I started riding again. Got more and more interested. No touring.

By 2018 the Huffy was gone but I now had 10 bicycles including a Schwinn Voyageur that I bought for $15. It needed everything which is what it got. Then listened to a friend talking about riding the GAP/C&O in 2019. "Oh that sounds great but I'm too old for that. Or am I? Should I? You aint getting any younger." Fits and starts and creeping progress lead to my first and, at this point, only tour. GAP journey. So, unlike youse all, my long history of touring is one trip so far. This past August. I'm now looking at a second touring bike - 1984 Fuji Touring Series III. I do not need another bike but I'm strangely intrigued. We'll see.
Old 11-09-19, 12:55 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Last year, about this time, I bought a bike off CL in NE Ohio(1980 Trek 414), and needed to get it to SE Ohio. I decided to ride it, which I did, in May. I've now begun planning next Summer's tour, on a coupled 1984 Schwinn Letour Luxe. Light touring only for me.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 11-09-19 at 01:14 PM.